Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jared Goff?
This poll is closed.
JARED GOFF 33 45.83%
Jared Goof 14 19.44%
MCDC 9 12.50%
Purdy Good 16 22.22%
Total: 72 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

Detroits biggest problem is that this was definitely a one-off season with Goff and he's going to regress a ton next year
this is the exact time that you draft a qb in the 2nd/3rd round to give them time to develop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Coldforge posted:

Worth noting that the Rams had to trade Jared Goff away to win that next Super Bowl with a different QB, but yeah.

Lions will trade Goff to

Idk, the Panthers

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
honestly with the 28-3 game i have always viewed that less as a falcons failing and more "Tom Brady is a supernatural talent with a football and things that should not be possible to do are somehow insanely simple and easy for him to do, consistently, all over your favorite team when it matters most"

He did this poo poo for like 19 years. I really dont like that thomas brady but he existed on a football dimension that was just above everyone else (and was a big fuckin wet saggy cheater too)

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

It's hilarious how doom and gloom some folks are after the Lions best season in like 60 years. Goff is still young, they have a fantastic set of rookies and young players at all sorts of positions, and like one weak spot to fix up. Sure losing Ben Johnson will suck, but they have the culture and mentality to win through tough times now.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Bip Roberts posted:

Detroits biggest problem is that this was definitely a one-off season with Goff and he's going to regress a ton next year

Mostly because he won't have Ben Johnson next year

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The 7th Guest posted:

this is the exact time that you draft a qb in the 2nd/3rd round to give them time to develop

Good news, they already drafted Hendon Hooker this year!!

Gully Foyle posted:

It's hilarious how doom and gloom some folks are after the Lions best season in like 60 years. Goff is still young, they have a fantastic set of rookies and young players at all sorts of positions, and like one weak spot to fix up. Sure losing Ben Johnson will suck, but they have the culture and mentality to win through tough times now.

100% Agreed. It was a horrible loss, but these are the loving Lions.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Brock Purdy ran for like 50 yards, he was not going to be denied

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gully Foyle posted:

Goffs about to hit 30 he’s not young by any stretch

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
Ugh. Really thought the Lions had it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

HonorableTB posted:

honestly with the 28-3 game i have always viewed that less as a falcons failing and more "Tom Brady is a supernatural talent with a football and things that should not be possible to do are somehow insanely simple and easy for him to do, consistently, all over your favorite team when it matters most"

He did this poo poo for like 19 years. I really dont like that thomas brady but he existed on a football dimension that was just above everyone else (and was a big fuckin wet saggy cheater too)

The Julio Jones catch followed up by somehow playing themselves out of FG range was definitely a falcons failing. Even with the great comeback effort the game should have been over there with conservative play unless missed FG.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Manoueverable posted:

Did the Falcons ever recover after 28-3?

It’s loving hard for teams just to make the playoffs two years in a row in the NFL (well, less hard now, but still). There isn’t some kind of magical tough playoff loss curse.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

This game reminded me why I watch pro wrestling instead of shoot sports

E: literally the only lions game I watched this season as a Michigander, clearly it's my fault

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

check out all these jabronis that put their hopes on the lions

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Gully Foyle posted:

and the niners needed two high variance things to happen to win. they were insanely lucky

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Gully Foyle posted:

I like the packers chances better

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goffs about to hit 30 he’s not young by any stretch

Eh, young in relative terms. For a QB without any obvious injury issues, he's still pretty young. He's only a year older than Mahomes.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

HonorableTB posted:

The Falcons definitely hosed things up. Multiple awful sacks that pushed them out of field goal range, Freeman completely whiffed a blitz pickup that led to a sack and fumble recovery, the defense got gashed in the 2nd half

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s loving hard for teams just to make the playoffs two years in a row in the NFL (well, less hard now, but still). There isn’t some kind of magical tough playoff loss curse.

yes there is

this team is done. they aren't coming back

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Again, the Seahawks made the playoffs for years but they were never the best team in the conference any of those years and it's now well-documented that the interception utterly shattered the trust in the locker room, it was basically a shambling corpse for the better part of a decade after. Losses like these destroy teams.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Manoueverable posted:

I mean, "good young upstart team makes people believe with a playoff run then collapses against traditional power and falls apart" is a time-honored tradition across many different sports, those teams pretty much never have happy endings to their story. I thank God the Seahawks got one before that bit them.

It's extremely rare for a team to win a championship in their first playoff appearance in a decade. Almost every single team has to have some kind of playoff success first in order to attract the number of players needed to actually win a championship. This is an extremely young team and there is no reason to completely abandon all hope just because of one bad half.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Bip Roberts posted:

bwuuuhhhhh

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Manoueverable posted:

Again, the Seahawks made the playoffs for years but they were never the best team in the conference any of those years and it's now well-documented that the interception utterly shattered the trust in the locker room, it was basically a shambling corpse for years until we finally got rid of Russ. Losses like these destroy teams.

Take this doomer poo poo and shove it up your rear end, if you think that these Lions players don't have complete faith in Dan Campbell and what he has done for this team.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's extremely rare for a team to win a championship in their first playoff appearance in a decade. Almost every single team has to have some kind of playoff success first in order to attract the number of players needed to actually win a championship. This is an extremely young team and there is no reason to completely abandon all hope just because of one bad half.

y'all, lions this year were so good it made woodrowskillson a lions optimist. y'all doomerposters should be fuckin ashamed. hell yeah king :cheers:

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Even with a loss, WoodrowSkillson's heart grew three sizes today

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Manoueverable posted:

Again, the Seahawks made the playoffs for years but they were never the best team in the conference any of those years and it's now well-documented that the interception utterly shattered the trust in the locker room, it was basically a shambling corpse for the better part of a decade after. Losses like these destroy teams.

The chargers absolutely fell apart after fumbling a game sealing INT against Brady

The chiefs got better after a devastating 4th down offsides by dee ford against Brady

Then they fell apart again in an awful SB loss to the Brady Bucs and bounced back again

The eagles blew it over and over and had to move on from their coach and QB to win. That coach won the aforementioned chiefs titles

Some coaches/teams/orgs have it, some don't

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 29, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The Unnamed One posted:

Even with a loss, WoodrowSkillson's heart grew three sizes today

I'm pissed as gently caress at Dan Campbell but I'm not going to let that make me think that there's nothing to build on here.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's basically just the Brady Bucs, isn't it?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The ball off the helmet was unlucky, that fumble though, ugh. And all the goofy deep passes, why. Peak Lions, Peak Lions

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Manoueverable posted:

1. They had already won a super bowl and made another by that point.

2. It doesn't always destroy teams. I hear the Chiefs are doing pretty well nowadays. It's argue the Lions loss is more similar to this one than the Seahawks one.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Car Hater posted:

The ball off the helmet was unlucky, that fumble though, ugh. And all the goofy deep passes, why. Peak Lions, Peak Lions

nah that's the thing! it was bad but it was like, poo poo teams do, and things teams recover from. there's genuinely something real here

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

People complaining about doomerism for the lions have to understand that believing the worst will always happen and your sports teams will loving suck forever is the only way MI sports fans cope with reality

Can't be disappointed, just reassured

E: I am not a sports fan but basically the resounding mood at the bar I was it was lol, lions gonna lion, what did we expect

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

The Taxman posted:

People complaining about doomerism for the lions have to understand that believing the worst will always happen and your sports teams will loving suck forever is the only way MI sports fans cope with reality

im not complaining! sincerely, i think tonight any doomerism is okay. just tomorrow, remember some real good poo poo is happening

and i'm a MI sports fan, i was just rewarded with Good Karma and Great Vibes this year .. proof that the universe bends towards justice

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

The Taxman posted:

That's why they need to get rid of whatever gave them hope in the first place

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

whos that broooown posted:

That's why they need to get rid of whatever gave them hope in the first place

.... The Lions?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

The Taxman posted:

.... The Lions?

Sorry, apparently some fans believe that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Radia is right.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

thank you. in return, as part of our continued meta alliance, i will root for the San Francisco 49ers

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Radia posted:

thank you. in return, as part of our continued meta alliance, i will root for the San Francisco 49ers

gently caress that go Swifties

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BROCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PURDY