Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

bloodysabbath posted:

Overall it’s the Omega/Ospreay matches from 2023. I give the edge to the first one just because I got to go to the Tokyo Dome for the first time and it was amazing and also holy poo poo they got the FF7 rights.

In my heart it’s Omega/Page at full gear because it was the climax of the greatest story AEW has ever told.

Did they license OWA or stuff beyond that?

Edward Mass posted:

We're both to blame - I got the year wrong, while you got Day/Month confused for Month/Day. Europeans :argh:

Much like Imperial vs Metric, this is actually a case of USA & very few others using mm/dd Versus 5+ Continents using dd/mm

Edit:

I only saw this thread today (the downside to being a Bookmarks-Only poster 98% of the time) so missed the noms and first vote, but I'm in for the remainder. Awesome thread concept Edward Mass & spectacular write-ups fez_machine! Love the 1-minute spacing between your posts for the BF-S&O vs WO-ZSJ match-up!

Voted the match with Sue, gotta support wrestling moms driving their boys around in minivans.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Kvantum posted:

Oh come on, you think Kenny would just settle for the music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_WNaso8A_w

Oh

Well then

14-year-old me just started marking the gently caress out inside my 40-year-old body :swoon:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

SG Bamboo posted:

Easy choice, the IPPON lightube match was my first experience with ASUKA and was one of my favourite matches that year while the cagematch was good it was a fair bit below my favourite cage match that year, the Nakajima vs Kitamiya hair vs hair match in NOAH

Here's a link to the DDT match, which has a short demonstration of the rules beforehand

Merci!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

SG Bamboo posted:

Akito has never gotten his props, man is smooth as silk. A lesser man would have froze when the finish got botched but he scrambled out a short little sequence to avoid just repeating the spot.

That Akito/Janela light tube match was also pretty rad, nearly as tense as this one I voted for

Can you clue me in re: the intended finish?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Abe vs. Nomura was really good, but seriously go watch Hiromu vs. Ospreay and that crazy loving bit where they're slipping in and out of the ring, it's nuts, and it's got my vote.

Is that where Ospreay does a Sasuke Special out of the ring, backflips through a german suplex, charges and gets belly to belly'd through the ropes, and immediately does a 2nd sasuke tto finally connect?

Cause, uh, yeah, that was a heck of a series of moves

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Yo what the gently caress did Takahashi finish Ospreay with in that goddamn match

(fuzzy shots off a facebook vid which had the match ad-free lol)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

God I wish AAA's production style didn't leave me feeling so detached from what is actually happening in the ring, I'm pretty sure there was a fantastic match in front of a hot crowd in there somewhere.

But in any case, even though Gatoh Move's Production quality is far from good too, I had to give Lulu/Brookes the vote if for no other reason than:

"I am a professional wrestler."
"....yes. Yes you are."

Jeez, I jumped to a random midpoint and felt like I was seeing Dunn-level cuts but with worse camera placement and continuity.

That's a bummer.

In theory, all those cameras are recording everything, right? Even if only one angle is broadcast at any given moment? Has any fed taken the alternate feeds to try and re-edit a superior Director's Cut of a famous event or match?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

The occasional German review is fun practice at trying to decipher the meaning of a few words around English names.

Tony-Khan-BlutParty is a phenomenal line.

Anyways I'll be voting for Dem Boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

I thought that I'd be insta-voting MJF-Bryan, but now I'm 15 minutes into Syuri-Utami and drat...

This vote feels like a match-up that should be a quarter-final or later pairing. Everything Syuri and Utami do is so drat smooth and logical I love how Syuri goes for series of pinning attempts, keeping the pressure on and adjusting her hody position so fluidly.

Gotta finish watching, but at the moment this is the toughest call thus far, for me anyways.