Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I think it was Orson Scott Card, he wrote a book about how they changed the past so that Columbus wouldn't commit so many atrocities, but in doing so they realized that Columbus committing those atrocities was itself a previous time-correction because of the horrible future that happens if he doesn't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

mysterious frankie posted:

Imagine you’re the detective interviewing that suspect and you ask “Well, why didn’t you stop Hiroshima?” And they say “I would have gotten around to it… if you hadn’t stopped me.” And he’s really convincing so you’re left thinking daaaaaaaaaamn, good answer, but also, sorry Japan, I still gotta book this guy for strangling that (admittedly nefarious looking) baby.

Quantum Leap rules. Affecting anything prior to your birth and you affect the odds of the traveler existing at all.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Then I'd go back and stop you.

Then I'd go back, Jack, and do it again.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Darth Brooks posted:

I had an idea for a Dr. Who episode where the inhabitants of an alien planet decide that the Doctor was obligated to stop some disaster of their own making. They then took that further and convicted him in abstentia of failing to stop every dead that had occurred in the History of their plane. Because he could have possibly saved any life in any part of time but had not saved all.

If I had a time machine, I'd just tape the missing Doctor Who episodes as they aired and deposit them in the present. One of the major tenants of time travel is to not do something too big, so as the create ripples of unknowable horror. Sorry, world, but I've seen Back to the Future Part II.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The timeline is self restoring actually. You can try and change a lot of stuff but the timeline will find a way to wobble back to how it was. It's very particular you see.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Mister Speaker posted:

Then I'd go back, Jack, and do it again.

You and I, rivals trapped in a single eternal moment, constantly thwarting and counter thwarting attempts on the life of the band that made Everyone’s Gone to the Movies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

credburn posted:

I think it was Orson Scott Card, he wrote a book about how they changed the past so that Columbus wouldn't commit so many atrocities, but in doing so they realized that Columbus committing those atrocities was itself a previous time-correction because of the horrible future that happens if he doesn't!

Stephen Fry wrote a novel where they time-jump sterilizing drugs into hitler's parents and the the timeline changes to one which had New, More Competent Hitler instead.

Although the book's kinda weird and not that great.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 31, 2024

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I'd prevent the Hindenburg disaster so that airships would become the dominant form of air travel in the future.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

I'd prevent the Hindenburg disaster so that airships would become the dominant form of air travel in the future.

Yay so we're squashed in like the economy section of a 747 because it's still gonna be all about maximising profit, but now we're stuck there for days.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

seriously this thread is making me wanna rewatch travelers

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

credburn posted:

remember that time orson wrote several profoundly homo-erotic books and then posted on his blog about how evil gay people are? hahaha, but no, he's a piece of poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
The obvious answer is to travel back about 1300 years and assassinate baby Mohammed.

hazed glam
Jun 11, 2018
came here to vote 1, :thanks:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

You'd also have to prevent the many other, not nearly as famous airship disasters for that to pan out I think. There's a reason we stopped using them in the US too even though we were like the only country in the world that had a sufficient helium supply.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

hazed glam posted:

came here to vote 1, :thanks:

Add baby hazed glam to the list

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

I dont know anything about this book, but that does sound convincingly like Orson Scott Card

also I just learned Brandon Sanderson is Mormon and a big OSC fan. It doesn't necessarily detract from his work, but I feel like it explains its very contrived blandness

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Mr_Companie posted:

First, study Ancient Greek and Latin. Set the machine for Constantinople, 50 BC. Spread covid-19 throughout the population, introduce the rest to fentanyl. Any remaining rivals are to be blinded, as was the custom of the time.

That being taken care of I'd spread knowledge of hand washing, antisepsis, the army corps system, monotheism, the location of the Americas, and a variety of translated technical manuals to the small cult I'd build around myself, taking on multiple wives to spread my presumably taller, smarter, bigger dicked genes among the population.

Hoping to make a big enough impact that when I'm inevitably betrayed I become a martyr and my followers spread my teachings across the globe, stealing christianity and islams thunder and plunging the world into an entirely different dark age

this is just an unpublished Robert Heinlein manuscript

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

syntaxfunction posted:

The timeline is self restoring actually. You can try and change a lot of stuff but the timeline will find a way to wobble back to how it was. It's very particular you see.

Preventing 9/11 only to cause 9/12

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Preventing 9/11 only to cause 9/12

But if they tried to crash into the twin towers on 9/12 the earth would be 2.6 million km's away from where they were on 9/11, so they would of just crashed into, um empty space I guess?

Seems like the better option TBH.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

dr_rat posted:

But if they tried to crash into the twin towers on 9/12 the earth would be 2.6 million km's away from where they were on 9/11, so they would of just crashed into, um empty space I guess?

Seems like the better option TBH.

thats not how time travel works due to observational reference frames :thanks:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Nope earth just leaves in it's wake a whole bunch of frozen time travelers. It's why you can't change things with time travel, cos you're all like dead and what not.

Just a whole big ball of frozen time travelers 73,320 million km's from here. You could almost mistake it for a small moon.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Nope earth just leaves in it's wake a whole bunch of frozen time travelers. It's why you can't change things with time travel, cos you're all like dead and what not.

Just a whole big ball of frozen time travelers 73,320 million km's from here. You could almost mistake it for a small moon.

I covered this when discussing the need for a "Space-Time" machine.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Stephen Fry wrote a novel where they time-jump sterilizing drugs into hitler's parents and the the timeline changes to one which had New, More Competent Hitler instead.

Although the book's kinda weird and not that great.

I'm starting to get the vibe that a not inconsiderable amount of time travel literature is a metaphor for the author's untreated anxiety disorders, or just a general sense of unease about committing to any significant course of action.

Q: We should kill Hitler
A: What if that results in Mega-Hitler???

Q: We should convert to solar power.
A: What if the sun went away? We'd be ruined! RUINED!

Q: We should go out to eat.
A: What if I start choking and the waiter is a Mega-Hitler who invented Her own multiverse transversing time machine and she is both going around timelines collecting subordinate Normal Hitlers, and killing all the versions of us off so that we don't go creating competing Mega-Hitlers?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean, on the upside being dumped into the megahitlerverse did allow the protagonist to realise he was gay and get a boyfriend.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

"Remaining Perfectly Still So I Don't Make A Hitler" is going to be the title of my autobiography. Which I won't write, just in case it would have made a Hitler.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

"Remaining Perfectly Still So I Don't Make A Hitler"

lmao, conceptually

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I mean, on the upside being dumped into the megahitlerverse did allow the protagonist to realise he was gay and get a boyfriend.

No, you're thinking of the omegahitlerverse. Common mistake.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
There’s no way to stop yourself from creating hitlers. All you can do is keep killing them

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Smugworth posted:

It's crazy there aren't more murders where the killer admits they were sent back in time to stop a global catastrophe that the deceased enabled

I thought an interesting explanation for all those motiveless* mass shootings that end in the killer's suicide or death by cop could be time travel to prevent even worse catastrophes but it would be distasteful to write the book and depressing to do the research.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

The Management posted:

There’s no way to stop yourself from creating hitlers. All you can do is keep killing them

Wasn't there a comic or story where Hitler ends up like Doomsday because of all the time travelers coming back to try and kill him?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

last thing you want is to do is inadvertently make an osama bin robohitler who does 9/11

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i would travel back in time to 5000 BCE and start researching cloning, and then i would put 50 copies of myself on each of the airplanes they tried to use and fight the terrorists to death

i would also foretell this in stone tablets which i would present and then i would take over the world

E: honestly i probably wouldnt bother stopping 9/11 but i'd probably short enron

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

id sire thousands of children with the cave babes and create a new empire in my likeness

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
If I had a time machine I would be a god and would not be beholden to human notions of good and evil.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I'd probably use a time machine to go back and watch/record performers from before recording performances was possible: Shakespeare's Globe theatre and the Marx Brothers in vaudeville and/or on Broadway would be at the top of my list, alongside a lot of classic pro wrestling shows

I wouldn't know where even to begin preventing major tragedies and frankly I'd be terrified to try

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I would simply build three even taller towers so the terrorists crashed some planes into them instead

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Now I wonder what would happen if Hitler, say, died in prison and wasn't replaced by Megahitler. The German far right probably still winds up with a plurality of the Reichstag but let's suppose no one is able to install themselves as dictator (because then they'd be Megahitler.) They still purge a bunch of commies and push through rearmament, maybe pursue some reannexations, but without a charismatic and ambitious leader would things have fizzled out there without a full fledged war in Europe? Japan would still be invading China regardless, but would probably be less eager to expand the conflict without Germany wreaking havoc on the Western Allies--and if they did, provoking the undivided attention of the US would be even more disastrous for them, and they would not necessarily have the benefit of a swift rebuilding effort since the USSR would not be emerging as a postwar superpower. But without the war the US would be even less of a superpower. Does FDR just retire after a peaceful 3rd term? Nukes would happen eventually, the fears that spurred research into them would still be there, but without the same sense of urgency. I remember an Isaac Asimov story that speculated that we may have lucked out by developing nukes at the very end of a war when everyone's fighting capacity was stretched to the limit, and that civilizations that develop nukes in peacetime tend to die in nuclear fire since they're able to amass stockpiles before they've seen the implications firsthand and then wind up unleashing them all at once. I don't know that I really buy that though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

im not gonna read that

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

redshirt posted:

... and the big M. Night twist at the end was the Time Traveler was always one of the hijackers.

Only realizing it as the second tower draws ever closer....

Basically this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90HljiOmunA&t=89s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

A Strange Aeon posted:

I thought an interesting explanation for all those motiveless* mass shootings that end in the killer's suicide or death by cop could be time travel to prevent even worse catastrophes but it would be distasteful to write the book and depressing to do the research.

I've thought of a short story idea where there's an interdimensional agency that gets hired by people to go kill certain people in ways that look like tragic accidents in as many timelines as possible before they do the things that ruin their image forever; kill OJ before he commits his murders, kill Rudy Guilani in 2002 before he pisses away all the goodwill he got from 9/11, deserved or not, kill Michael Jackson shortly after Thriller (no idea when the child molestation started so I just said that), etc. So while in the core timeline all that happened, in many other alternate timelines it doesn't.