Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Leadthumb posted:

They used to just make movies man. You can tell everyone making that movie was just trying to give a theater full of people a fun time.

yeah. I try to be optimistic and I think there are a lot of creators out there who want to do this now and probably will soon now that the streaming model of letting some algorithm greenlight things is starting to burst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

pretty funny
some good laughs
english accents are funny

3/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

symbolic posted:

thank you Bicyclops

lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Alan Partridge is great. i didnt know anyone else knew about it. very very bad title, their marketing people should be sacked

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Day of the Dead

something i really love about this movie is how we come to this situation as it's falling apart, and dont really know everything going on. we never find out how cooper really died, we never even meet him. was "frankenstein" involved with it, or just taking advantage of the situation?

all the intro above ground stuff was filmed in fort myers florida, im familiar with many of those buildings, which is neat. the idea of giant tunnels like this in florida is really silly but thats fine

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fungah! posted:

Parenthood
Courtesy of Bicyclops

is this one of the 1001 movies, Bicyclops

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

is this one of the 1001 movies, Bicyclops

no. huge oversight

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I always go back and forth on whether Dawn or Day is my favorite. I think the acting and makeup are the strongest in this movie. I love the premise of the world having already ended and them just continuing to do their jobs because they don't know what else to do. Bub's actor does an amazing job emoting through all the makeup.

5/5

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

rodbeard posted:

I always go back and forth on whether Dawn or Day is my favorite. I think the acting and makeup are the strongest in this movie. I love the premise of the world having already ended and them just continuing to do their jobs because they don't know what else to do. Bub's actor does an amazing job emoting through all the makeup.

5/5

I kept expecting the bub guy to get too corny in a few scenes and he never does, he turned in about as good a performance as you can given the role.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

times up for day of the dead, parenthood starts now

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

times up for day of the dead, parenthood starts now

-Semisonic, 1998

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

-Semisonic, 1998

lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Alan partridge: British rear end version of airheads

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

parenthood

pretty good. steve martin ftw obviously, some primo keanu, some good rick moranis. ths is one of those steve martin comedies where its not a joke a minute and honestly there arent many jokes at all, but there are a couple good ones. idk, i didnt love it but i liked it well enough. ultimately i think ive got to be a parent nd well into my 40s to understand it, i mean truly understand it

★★ ˝

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ps biggest surprise for me was that the first baby's weiner i saw in movie club wasnt in a plutonis pick

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

ps biggest surprise for me was that the first baby's weiner i saw in movie club wasnt in a plutonis pick

lol, is that right at the end?

steve martin is always good but i think the dianne wiest thread is actually my favorite in the movie. her bemused look while keanu talks about dads and her delivery on "Here's one for my wallet!" kills me.

i think what makes the movie stick with me is that it has the feel of an 80s comedy but ultimately is more of a family drama, mostly without feeling like it has awkward tone shifts. its biggest flaws are that rick moranis's character is too unhinged to be likeable and the stuff with tom hulce resolves just a little too depressingly. i do like "grandma's wonderful and affecting roller-coaster speech," and not just because steve martin's follow-up is funny.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

lol, is that right at the end?

steve martin is always good but i think the dianne wiest thread is actually my favorite in the movie. her bemused look while keanu talks about dads and her delivery on "Here's one for my wallet!" kills me.

i think what makes the movie stick with me is that it has the feel of an 80s comedy but ultimately is more of a family drama, mostly without feeling like it has awkward tone shifts. its biggest flaws are that rick moranis's character is too unhinged to be likeable and the stuff with tom hulce resolves just a little too depressingly. i do like "grandma's wonderful and affecting roller-coaster speech," and not just because steve martin's follow-up is funny.

right at th beginning, steve martins kid goes tearing around naked in a cowboy hat

and yeh, i agree, its definitely more of a drama thn an actual steve martin comedy even though there are some funny jokes. i liked grandmas speech a lot and yeah dianne wiest kicked rear end, best part of the movie. idk, i think i rated it low bedcause i assumed steve martin/rick moranis/mary steenburgen movie would be a comedy and i approached it that way, its definitely more of an ensemble drama. idk i liked it but it didnt blow my hair back,

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rollin today because i'm not gonna be around tomorrow

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

rollin today because i'm not gonna be around tomorrow
                            /

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh forgot to come back and say the Alan partridge movie was good. Steve Coogan is great

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
Courtesy of symbolic

A continuation of the story told in the Daft Punk music videos "One More Time," "Aerodynamic," "Digital Love," and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger."

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqbSaOw0TvE

Director: Daisuke Nishio, Hirotoshi Rissen, Leiji Matsumoto
Writer: Thomas Bangalter, Cédric Hervet, Guy-Manuel De Homem-Christo
Stars: Romanthony, Thomas Bangalter

Available On: YouTube (https://youtu.be/2dGXazgbdhE), Archive.org (https://archive.org/details/interstela5555)

Available From: 4/15 - 4/29

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

cool

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I never knew it got a full movie, cool.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Courtesy of symbolic

A continuation of the story told in the Daft Punk music videos "One More Time," "Aerodynamic," "Digital Love," and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger."

Available On: YouTube (https://youtu.be/2dGXazgbdhE), Archive.org (https://archive.org/details/interstela5555)

owns

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fungah! posted:

Courtesy of symbolic

sick pick i just listened to all the daft punk albums at work the other day and was sort of feeling like watching this on my own soon anyway

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Alan Partridge: alpha papa: I went into this with low expectations because of the name, but I was pretty impressed. There weren't a lot of laugh out loud moments, but the movie felt like wall to wall sensible chuckles. They did a great job introducing character quirks for everybody pretty quickly, and most of the humor comes from those quirks playing off each other. Even Simon being mostly silent and tied up with a gun to his head would still raise his eyebrows and mug for the camera every time somebody said something that could be misinterpreted as being dirty. It was great at the end, when Alan accidentally gets shot after successfully weaseling out of everything else despite being responsible for all the problems in the movie. 4/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Parenthood

very nice, smart and earnest movie. good acting and writing. dont rly have much to say ab it other than if it this movie were a smilie, itd be :nsacloud:
4/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
"35 year old" man w/ a lame rear end job, 4 kids and a fkn mansion

gently caress you boomers

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
holy poo poo googling this movie and the grumpy kid is joaquin phoenix :stare:
already knew how to act back then

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

Parenthood

very nice, smart and earnest movie. good acting and writing. dont rly have much to say ab it other than if it this movie were a smilie, itd be :nsacloud:
4/5

lol yep.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fucker posted:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Got around to seeing my own pick lol

alan partridge: alpha papa

was pleasantly surprised when this first came out as a lot of the later partridge stuff has been mixed. for some info this character's been around for ages but easily the best thing he's been in was a late 90s/early 00s series called I'm Alan Partridge which just followed him round his poo poo life while he tried to get back on tv. his assistant lynn and michael the doorman from the film were also in it

The series was also insanely British though, just crammed full of stupid niche reference to UK things, so it can be a tough recommendation but it's worth trying.

anyway film still holds up on rewatch, a lot more broadly appealing humour which was definitely the intent. some of the dumbest jokes got me howling like the exchange about "banged up abroad" and Michael throwing himself off the pier as a distraction

felt michael and lynn were a bit underutilised but that's just because I've seen them in the series I think. colm meaney also nailed his part. Overall I thought this film would work even for people who have zero background knowledge of Coogan's other partridge stuff so glad to see it went down well.

8/10

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

as rodbeard said plenty of chuckles, or lines i think back on and think are funnier than i did when i heard them in the movie itself

Colm Meaney ftw forever

for as much of the humor is obviously supposed to be in the characters and writing, the biggest laughs from me were just in the simple physical stuff, alan finally getting shot throwing away the gun is hilarious, as was him getting stuck in the window

felt like the british version of a snl movie

seriously why did they name this movie this lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i love wry British humor and this movie was prime for it. agreeing with there being a lot of sensible chuckles but i also had quite a few out-loud laughs: the exchange with the car driver Alan has trying to get to the police, the bit about Youtube videos, the angels joke about Pat's wife i can't quite remember enough of to quote, "I'll have to tell him there's a policeman who looks like him," and "awwww not again" when he shoots the JFK poster most notably i can remember. i also typically find comedies where the lead is brazenly incompetent hit-or-miss but i think Alan hits since Pat is equally stupid to bounce off and the comedy never really lets up for you to cringe at the times he fucks up. also have to give props to the soundtrack too, some really good cuts in there. overall, great stuff, and love it ending with a bit of a "where are they now?" spoof

i have no idea why i originally thought this was going to partly be a spy movie

8/10

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fucker posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

time up for alpha papa, interstalla 5555 starts now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
parenthood is interesting, usually movies are for escapism but its probably the realest movie ever made at least in terms of well parenthood lol

i liked the grandmothers little speech at the end, its a pretty inspiring movie, lots of little messages about compromise and overcoming insecurities and all sorts of good stuff

maybe i should ride the rollercoaster more meself sometimes and get off the ol merry-go-round

id say the only things that hold the movie back are some of the plot lines are a little whatever, i didnt super care for the single mother one it seemed a little too on the nose and boring, that said she was pretty funny and had some good lines

the rick moranis one was kind of played out too, same with the moocher son

movie couldve used more focus i think and trimmed the fat and been better for it but i guess its still fun to see all the different perspectives on parenting even if it muddles the overall film with some stereotypes that dont actually reflect real life too well

7.5/10

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting