Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Interstella 5555

i'd seen the first half on Toonami in 2001 and bought the DVD as soon as it came out a couple years later. haven't watched it since probably 2004 and it still owns. Discovery is probably my favorite overall Daft Punk album despite some stinkers (Crescendolls, Superheroes, High Life, Too Long) but even those songs are worth it here for the animated sequences that accompany them. the Crescendolls section is sick as hell and i loving hate that song lol.

i think my favorite sequence overall is still the first 4 tracks. also special mention to when Daft Punk cameo in their own project.

good nostalgia pick, it finally got me to participate lol.

8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

also, this and Dragon Ball Z and Cowboy Bebop are pretty much all the anime anyone should ever need.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

tmfc posted:

also, this and Dragon Ball Z and Cowboy Bebop are pretty much all the anime anyone should ever need.

you are absolutely loving wrong

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

tmfc posted:

Got any more hot takes?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

tmfc posted:

this guy's been trolling non stop for like a week. do we even have mods anymore?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tmfc posted:

what? no.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

I got the tude now posted:

this guy's been trolling non stop for like a week. do we even have mods anymore?

i already got probed for having dissenting opinions what more do you want.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

tmfc posted:

i already got probed for having dissenting opinions what more do you want.

for uyour balls to be savagely microplaned into gross little frisbees fired at light speed to the farthest reaches of the universe dud e i don't even know what im saying sorry lmao what you said is wrong though

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Interstella 5555

i had like five different movies i wanted to pick from but in the end i went with Interstella for two reasons. one because it's a kickass example of Toei animation circa early 00s, but also, simultaneously introducing ppl to one of my favorite albums of all time if they haven't dipped beneath the popular cuts of it. if i made a list of my top 100 albums ever, i think the only two electronica albums on there would be Massive Attack's Mezzanine, and Discovery. it's just so groovy and so impactful throughout that even if Interstella loses steam through the back half i'm still jamming all the way to the end credits. rewinded to Better Harder Faster Stronger and Superheroes several times to vibe, but overall, awesome through and through, long live Daft Punk

9/10

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Parenthood

It's a fine film on, well, parenthood, and how most of us just want what's best for our kids. Which the film perfectly displays how anxiety riddled that can be. Frank thinking he can still save his youngest, Nathan trying to raise the perfect child, Helen struggling post divorce trying to raise two kids on her own who are also struggling without a second parental figure, Gil and Karen faced with the possibility of having a special needs child. Although pretty messed up how Gil's kid was going to be placed in special ed because he couldn't handle the pressure of nothing working out for him. Until he caught the fly ball and everything was better. Nice to see Ron giving Clint a job. Kind of bored with the movie overall, though.

This is a slight not recommend

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Interstella 5555

Part two of my work from home double feature. First time watching the movie, although I've seen a few of the music videos. I enjoy the animation and the album, but I'm having a hard time rating this. Neither the movie nor the album really need each other, and you could probably mute the movie and listen to anything really. However, both are enjoyable so I'll say it's a good movie.

Recommend if you enjoy Daft Punk

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Parenthood- it didn't really feel like a movie to me. It felt like watching a mediocre sitcom stretched out to movie length. Some of the performances were good but the movie doesn't really focus on any character long enough for them to feel fully developed. It seemed like each writer wrote part of a story without ever collaborating on how the whole thing was going to come together. It ends up just being a loose collection of scenes you would expect from a large ensemble cast dramady ending with the grandma explaining the moral of the story directly to the audience like an episode of South Park.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I love Daft Punk

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

I love Daft Punk

same, really looking forward to this one

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

Neither the movie nor the album really need each other, and you could probably mute the movie and listen to anything really.

not knocking you but i disagree heavily, there's a lot of moments in the animation that coincide with cues in their respective songs (Superheroes most notably imo) and those moments wouldn't seems as resonant with no/other music

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

symbolic posted:

not knocking you but i disagree heavily, there's a lot of moments in the animation that coincide with cues in their respective songs (Superheroes most notably imo) and those moments wouldn't seems as resonant with no/other music

Well not any music, but when Short Circuit started I wanted to listen to Rockit instead

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Interstella 5555 (7/10)

It's a lot of fun and I really like the style of animation, but it's only ever just kind of neat and cute. That being said, I've seen it probably too much at this point and so the rough edges (repetitive shots that linger too long, reused animations) are a little more visible.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EYZnSXEla0

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol congrats

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

moview club had a good run

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DIRTY DUCK
Courtesy of starbarry clock

Mild-mannered insurance-adjuster Willard teams up with a foul-mouthed fowl who takes him on a surreal quest to become less uptight--and possibly get laid.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4QmA_EAgow

Director: Charles Swnson
Writer: Howard Kaylan, Robert Ridgeley, Charles Swenson
Stars: Howard Kaylan, Mark Volman, Robert Ridgeley

Available On: archive.org (https://archive.org/details/down-and-dirty-duck)

Available From: 4/22 - 5/5

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the management would like to remind everyone to please not kill us, we're just th messenger

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

MORE EXISTENTIAL THAN HOWARD!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
cool

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol whatever, I'll give.it a try after interstella

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol. This is easily one of the films of 1974

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Lol wtf

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I'm not watching another movie on archive.org

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

herculon posted:

I'm not watching another movie on archive.org

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/amzn1.dv.gti.bab3b0ab-f2bb-a8ed-4ea0-673601be6e93?autoplay=0&ref_=atv_cf_strg_wb

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I ain't paying for this

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

herculon posted:

I ain't paying for this

anyway interstella 5555 review coming very soon

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah! posted:

gone fashing
super sweet best pal
Jenny Agutter

i'm cutting these people until they watch a feraking movie btw

the following people are left:

Roth
Arrhythmia
got the tude now
Herculon
Fucker
Nostradingus
Plebian Parasite
Leadthumb
Pragmatica
Fungah!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

DIRTY DUCK

Mild-mannered insurance-adjuster Willard teams up with a foul-mouthed fowl who takes him on a surreal quest to become less uptight--and possibly get laid.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4QmA_EAgow

Director: Charles Swnson
Writer: Howard Kaylan, Robert Ridgeley, Charles Swenson
Stars: Howard Kaylan, Mark Volman, Robert Ridgeley

Available On: archive.org (https://archive.org/details/down-and-dirty-duck)

Available From: 4/22 - 5/5

lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
interstella 5555

ive listened to daft punk intermittently throughout my years but never watched this movie before and its really cool

theres a lot of psychedelic imagery and fantastical visuals both on the alien planet and earth, its all lit up and colorful and almost assaults the eyes with its vividness if it wasnt so interesting to look at

character designs are cool but i feel bad for the black one that gets tased and then people see that and put on blue face on the streets seems a little insensitive lol

the animation is usually just OKAY and sometimes it feels too sped up for its own good, i get they are trying to match the kinetic energy of the music but at certain points its almost comical, like at the beginning when the blonde guitarist is running away from the masked dudes, almost gives me a benny hill vibe at times

id say i overall liked the film a lot but im going to have to dock a further point because the music is so good but i couldnt find an ost for it

8/10

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

starbarry clock posted:

id say i overall liked the film a lot but im going to have to dock a further point because the music is so good but i couldnt find an ost for it

Keep looking. I believe in you

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

Keep looking. I believe in you

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

big fan. theres definite flaws (th whole movie repeating during face to face/too long, cahm ahn) but th animations usually gorgeous and its cool how well it does synch up wth the music. forget who said it didnt earlier but i disagree, the animations at least a riff on every song, vederis quo bein when they learn the truth about everything, harder better faster stronger wth the dehumanization factory, that kind of thing. the it was all a dream ending was cute. big thing for me, all th character designs are fuckin great lol. everyone has tons of personality, everything looks good. i think its ultimately a really good music video but hell, thats all movies like this want to be. solid poo poo. cuttin half a point because i forgot about them recappin the whole hour movie to fill time and it cheeses me off

★★★

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Fungah! posted:

DIRTY DUCK

hmm

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
★★★

This was 4 stars when i was in high school and was willing to overlook a lot of the obvious flaws. Discovery is such a loving insane album you could probably show me Dirty Duck and it would get 2 stars at minimum.

They should remake this and raise the budget slightly with that Tron 2 money and you would have one of the best extended music videos (is it technically a musical?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

they should make a spiritual sequel with a studio-quality cut of the Alive 2007 set