Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

When I was about 15 years old, I accidentally slammed my fingers in a car door in my parents' garage. My mom had already walked into the house before I even left the car, so nobody saw it happen. My entire hand was trapped in the car door, which was fully closed and locked, and three of my fingers were crushed under the frame. The pain was excruciating. I yelled of course, but because of the soundproofing in the walls, nobody heard me at first. Trying to pull my hand out was pointless and only hurt more, and I had no keys so I couldn't open the door. I started to realize that nobody was going to help me, at least not right away, and that I was probably going to be stuck there for a while. I stood there for what felt like forever, in overwhelming pain the entire time, shouting for help at intervals and probably sounding more and more desperate.

I remember wondering to myself at some point if maybe my nervous system would adapt to the pain after a few minutes, or if my hand might go numb or start to hurt less. But no, the entire time I was stuck, I was in constant agony, and at no point did it let up even a little. In fact as time went on and I got more and more frustrated, the pain intensified. By the time my mom finally heard my shouting and came to help, I felt like I was going to be trapped there forever. When I think back on this I realize that I don't really remember the initial injury or how much it hurt, I just remember how endless the experience felt. The pain was intense, but the exasperation of being confined somewhere with absolutely no way out was the thing that got to me, and that made the brief time I was stuck feel like hours. Dirty Duck (1974) has a runtime of 75 minutes.
0/5 vhs tapes

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

starting to think i may skip this one after all...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

When I was about 15 years old, I accidentally slammed my fingers in a car door in my parents' garage. My mom had already walked into the house before I even left the car, so nobody saw it happen. My entire hand was trapped in the car door, which was fully closed and locked, and three of my fingers were crushed under the frame. The pain was excruciating. I yelled of course, but because of the soundproofing in the walls, nobody heard me at first. Trying to pull my hand out was pointless and only hurt more, and I had no keys so I couldn't open the door. I started to realize that nobody was going to help me, at least not right away, and that I was probably going to be stuck there for a while. I stood there for what felt like forever, in overwhelming pain the entire time, shouting for help at intervals and probably sounding more and more desperate.

I remember wondering to myself at some point if maybe my nervous system would adapt to the pain after a few minutes, or if my hand might go numb or start to hurt less. But no, the entire time I was stuck, I was in constant agony, and at no point did it let up even a little. In fact as time went on and I got more and more frustrated, the pain intensified. By the time my mom finally heard my shouting and came to help, I felt like I was going to be trapped there forever. When I think back on this I realize that I don't really remember the initial injury or how much it hurt, I just remember how endless the experience felt. The pain was intense, but the exasperation of being confined somewhere with absolutely no way out was the thing that got to me, and that made the brief time I was stuck feel like hours. Dirty Duck (1974) has a runtime of 75 minutes.
0/5 vhs tapes

lol

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

0/5 vhs tapes

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

0/5 vhs tapes

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Leadthumb posted:

Well i watched interstella 5555, let's see what the other pick is. Hmmm, that's weird, it seems like there's no second pick rn. I guess fungah's been too busy. Oh well, I'll just check back in on the 30th :)

symbolic posted:

glad the guy who's only watched Wheels on Meals in the past 4 months is here to tell it like it is

symbolic posted:

Dirty Duck

this is a movie that could've only been made in the 70s and only picked by starbarry

if Forbidden Zone was made by perverts for insane people, Dirty Duck was made by insane people for perverts. i was impressed by some of the surrealist imagery for 1974 and liked some of the music but otherwise it just varied between annoying and uncomfortable, and at occasional points low-qual enough that i actually couldn't make out what someone was saying. i want to try and say more but it all just kinda ended up blending together in a haze of sex jokes and cringing at Willard. i can appreciate something being irreverent and weirdly sort of progressive as a result but this just felt like too much too aggressively, and reminded me being unique doesn't automatically make something endearing

2/10

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

0/5 vhs tapes

lol

thanks for the epic sig el spider

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lmao

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

0/5 vhs tapes

lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dirty Duck aka Down and Dirty Duck

½

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dirty Duck 5/5

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

½

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just kidding I'm not watching that poo poo

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

yoko ono's head is sticking out of a toilet and the duck tells her to shut up. this is "the funniest line in the movie"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

yoko ono's head is sticking out of a toilet and the duck tells her to shut up. this is "the funniest line in the movie"

i did actually laugh at th frank zappa jump scare

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'll say this: a lot of craft nd talent whent into this movie that i didnt enjoy watching at all. thats something i guess

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

i did actually laugh at th frank zappa jump scare

lol yeah

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

0/5 vhs tapes

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fungah! posted:

½

lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Sub-Actuality posted:

i like how the arrow points at johns head when he pops out first then when yokos out the john arrow points at the toilet because a toilet is a john!

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

½

lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

½

lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i started Dirty Duck and watched for what felt like a pretty long time and was certain that i was near the halfway point of the film but then i looked and it had only been 20 minutes. just finished the part where the protagonist pays a cocaine-addicted haberdasher to help him walk past black people on the subway.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

tmfc posted:

i started Dirty Duck and watched for what felt like a pretty long time and was certain that i was near the halfway point of the film but then i looked and it had only been 20 minutes. just finished the part where the protagonist pays a cocaine-addicted haberdasher to help him walk past black people on the subway.

lol

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Interstela 5555: way more melancholy than i expected and then way more optimistic than i thought it could get. super fun idea to make a movie about the story you imagine happening in an album that i think worked out pretty well. 4.5/5

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

i like how the arrow points at johns head when he pops out first then when yokos out the john arrow points at the toilet because a toilet is a john!

wow that is funny

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Down and Dirty Duck (1974)

any horny underground animators from the 70s that are still currently alive should be killed.

1/5

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tmfc posted:

lmfao

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

0/5 vhs tapes

lol and also unironically a great review

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

this sucked, fritz the cat sucked, everything ralph bakshi has ever made sucks including that lovely hobbit cartoon and wizards.

there was a lovely old mtv cartoon called The Brothers Grunt that i thought was the ugliest cartoon ever made but dirty duck might beat it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

also add me to the list thanks

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

also add me to the list thanks

done.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Down and Dirty Duck was wildly unpleasant in pretty much every respect. The music was fine I guess.

I don’t really know what I’m supposed to draw from it and maybe that’s the intent, but if I’m going to just spend time on something that’s purposeless I’d at least like it to be appealing in some way.

2/10

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

interstella 5555:
i first saw the harder better faster stronger segment as a music video ages ago. i didn't know it was part of a movie and i'd always found it incredibly weak as a music video. it was too plodding, didn't have enough dynamic imagery, it just didn't fit the visual language of music videos. but having finally seen the whole thing, it all adds up. they were wise not to do a feature length music video. interstella 5555 is a totally compelling accompaniment to discovery, a worthwhile feature in and of itself, and i'm glad i saw it. its pretty amazing that the daft punk dudes used their creative capital and clout to make something like this happen.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mbt posted:

this sucked, fritz the cat sucked, everything ralph bakshi has ever made sucks including that lovely hobbit cartoon and wizards.

there was a lovely old mtv cartoon called The Brothers Grunt that i thought was the ugliest cartoon ever made but dirty duck might beat it.

in Crumb, the huge group of his ex-girlfriends and friends all basically describe him as a sexist and a womanizer when they're interviewed. Crumb himself cheerfully describes and shows the documentary crew one of his cartoons in which a woman's head is removed so that she can be the perfect romantic partner. he also gleefully describes all the violent fantasies he has and his sexual fetishes about being carried around by giant women on their backs. when he's asked about his more racist material, he explains it by basically saying it's a criticism of how everything is commodified, etc., but when he's asked about the sexist stuff, he says something along the lines of "I think I just have a problem with women. I hope that drawing it helps other people get through something similar, but maybe not, maybe they should take my pencils away. I don't know."

felix the cat was too disgusting for him and all of the ralph bakshi-types are just cheap imitations of that.

that was a lot of words but on the plus side if I do watch Dirty Duck I can just quote this post as my review.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Interstella 5555: good poo poo. Began and ended at particularly high points, but good throughout. Great fit between music and animation. 4 out of 5

Good reaction image for watching down and dirty duck lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

sourdough posted:

Interstella 5555: good poo poo. Began and ended at particularly high points, but good throughout. Great fit between music and animation. 4 out of 5

Good reaction image for watching down and dirty duck lol

that kid would make a good av lol