Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

1/5 hated it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Nostradingus posted:

Hell or High Water: I grew up in a lovely little Western town much like the ones in the movie and they felt very accurate to that experience. I appreciated that there was some nuance in the characters, nobody was heroic and nobody was totally in the wrong (except Texas Midlands Bank, those mother fuckers). Came to hate Jeff Bridges' character especially at the end, having met a bunch of racist idiot cowboy cops IRL. 4 stars

rodbeard posted:

1/5 hated it

2024 movie club already a land of contrast

copy
Jul 26, 2007

"you're stupid" lmfao

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Need to watch more movies. sign me up

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Hell or High Water: great heist movie. great at building tension, like the checkpoint at the end of the film. wild to have a heist film leave me feeling so bummed out though lol. also wrong ranger died 4/5

Conan the Barbarian: timeless action flick. like i said earlier i always remember, like, the snake fight or the battle on the hills at the end but i forget the comedy like the wizard stabbing a guy and freaking out over it subotai clapping him on the back all "that's how we do it!" or conan luring the priest somewhere to steal his clothes and then thinking he's totally fooled these guys. james earl jones absolutely kicked rear end as thulsa doom. great pick. 4.5/5

Wheels on Meals: loving miss this kind of movie so much. some really good fights especially in the castle. jokes landed pretty well too, esp. the fight gags like jackie getting punched in the face when he tries to feint a rush too many times. also "pull me up for another round! i'll kick your rear end!" lol. 3/5

M: i havent seen many movies from this time period and don't have much background in cinema history so i din't really know what to expect from a film that was made nearly a century ago. overall a really interesting movie. idk if the great silence of it was like a stylistic choice or a limitation but it honestly worked really well for it. made things feel isolated and weird. the scene where it's cutting abck and forth between the gang leaders and the police talking about what they need to do was pretty cool, and the trial was wild. 3.5/5

Bad Boy bubby: i laughed more than once and also still feel a little nauseous lol. absolutely disturbing poo poo, but incredibly moving film. clearly artistically a good movie, and also everybody involved in making it should be in jail. 4/5

Interstela 5555: way more melancholy than i expected and then way more optimistic than i thought it could get. super fun idea to make a movie about the story you imagine happening in an album that i think worked out pretty well. 4.5/5

Down and Dirty Duck: an hour and ten minutes of abstract-ish collage that didnt really resonate with me. It feels really singular so i bet the people who like this like it a whole loving lot but it just never really made contact with me. i thought the songs as like a chorus for an ancient greek play was kind of cool but i found myself trying to pay more attention to them than to the visuals of the movie. also the biggest laugh the movie got out of me was the credits 1/5

copy fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 27, 2024

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hell or High Water

really liked it. fuckin love a good western, fuckin love a movie about th death of the west and the little man fightin back, fuckin love a heist movie. lot of good actors playin shitkickers in this in a good way, loved chris pines and ben foster bantering like dipshit brothers. jeff bridges pickin on his partner could be rou8gh but its cool that they played genuine affection under there nd his reaction when alberto died was perfect. its definitely not a perfect movie, you cn see the strings on the plot too often for it to feel seamless like a 4 star movie is, but hell its really fuckin good and i enjoyed it a lot. good pick chuck.

★★★ ½

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh favorite scene: jeff bridges and the cowboy who was racin a brush fire to the river. really good poo poo there.

rollin for next pick in a minute btw.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf bot gimme your pick by sunday

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 9, 2024

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

oh favorite scene: jeff bridges and the cowboy who was racin a brush fire to the river. really good poo poo there.

rollin for next pick in a minute btw.

film does not shy away from its themes, but bridges just going "nah those boys are on their own" there really stuck out for me

copy
Jul 26, 2007

also the diner scene where the guy goes "seems foolish. time's passed where you can rob a bank and live to spend the money" i felt like he was staring right at the camera lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

also the diner scene where the guy goes "seems foolish. time's passed where you can rob a bank and live to spend the money" i felt like he was staring right at the camera lol

loil yeah. thats definitely one of th themes, the old west is dead and the banks win in the end

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

"the banks are just like the white people stealing land from the native Americans" was a touch too on the nose as well lol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

"the banks are just like the white people stealing land from the native Americans" was a touch too on the nose as well lol

If I was being honest I think the movie is closer to a 3/5 for me and I knocked a couple points off because I'm biased and the director is a rich libertarian pretending to be a cowboy on a ranch that's literally 10 times the size of the reservation my Grandma grew up on.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
Hell or High Water
god drat what a movie. saw it when it first came out and it's every bit as good as I remember. Gets in and gets out perfectly on time. Score kicks rear end. easy 4.5/5

Gone Fashing fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 10, 2024

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

lol yup

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Hell or High Water: 3/5

Good film. Not particularly subtle as others have noted but done well, and though I’ve never been to rural Texas is full of characters I’ve spent a lot of my life around. I’m a sucker for scenes like the end where the opposing sides, or should I say the survivors, confront each other with quiet malice and it did not disappoint.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

CONAN THE BARBARIAN
Courtesy of elf help book

A young boy, Conan, becomes a slave after his parents are killed and tribe destroyed by a savage warlord and sorcerer, Thulsa Doom. When he grows up he becomes a fearless, invincible fighter. Set free, he plots revenge against Thulsa Doom.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdYd_RdLCQ

Director: John Milius
Writer: Robert E. Howard, John Milius, Oliver Stone
Stars: Robert E. Howard John Milius Oliver Stone

Available On: Amazon Prime

Available From: 2/12

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 12, 2024

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

hell yeah

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I just got the new 4K release from Arrow in last week, I meant to watch it straight away but was too busy. Now I'm glad I never did lol. Hell yeah, good pick.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ps i'm changin the times movies run, now they'll run monday to two sundays later. feels more logical. i'll announce em when the picker gets their pick to me, then it starts thr followin monday

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Not sure I’ve seen Conan all the way through in one sitting, so hell yeah.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Punished Chuck posted:

I just got the new 4K release from Arrow in last week, I meant to watch it straight away but was too busy. Now I'm glad I never did lol. Hell yeah, good pick.

mayhaps need to make a journey to barnes & noble :abrathink:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

Not sure I’ve seen Conan all the way through in one sitting, so hell yeah.

oh dude. buckle up

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Fungah! posted:

oh dude. buckle up

In fact now that I think about it mosf of it was probably the edited version that would make its way on TNT at like 2 pm in the afternoon or something. So yeah, I’m ready :letsgo:

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Hell yeah a good choice

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
so hell or high water that shits pretty good

had a couple drinks while watching it so lets see how good this review is lmfao

uhhh so first and foremost i gotta say i didnt expect hank schrader and steven gomez to appear in this film lol but they totally do its the same dynamic but its pretty classic and good

but yeah this is a very character driven film, the action is pretty sparse but when somebody gets shot in the head they REALLY get shot in the head lol it gets pretty graphic considering how little blood there is throughout most of the movie

but goddamn the brothers in this film are gold love them love their backstories love their motivations love how they give each other poo poo how they even have a little brotherly tussle its just so good reminds me of the old days when i used to live with my sibling

and the old lady at the loving restaurant being super aggro on them and telling them what theyre going to eat essentially

no idea what its like in texas but i think i have a decent idea now

a hellhole to me but probably paradise to the people that live there i cant imagine the balls it would take to rob a bank in a place where everyone is packing

idk what else to say, the main critiques i have is the soundtrack is pretty unmemorable and there isnt any cinematography that blew my hat off but its all Acceptable so its not like bad or anything

think im going to give hell or high water an 8.5/10

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

CONAN STARTED ABOUT 9 HOURS AGO BTW

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
conan ftw. the move where rolls and chucks the witch into the fire always kills me.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

conan ftw. the move where rolls and chucks the witch into the fire always kills me.

for me its the camel punch. simple tastes.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

hype for conan rewatch

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Fungah! posted:

CONAN STARTED ABOUT 9 HOURS AGO BTW

Wow, I didn't know that movie was that long. 😂 😂

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Shameful movie secret: never seen conan watching the 4k over lunch

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

lol

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Hell or High Water seemed a bit generic to me. If you want a heist/western, this one checks all the boxes. Racist grandpa cop, partner who doesn't deserve anything that happens to him, maniac bank robber, sympathetic good intentions bank robber, banks are the real villains, only thing the movie was missing was the robbers being helped by natives/locals. Although I did enjoy the movie flips the script on that last one. I give this movie a slight recommend.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

oh hey can i still sign up for this?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Spoderman posted:

oh hey can i still sign up for this?

added to the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004