Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

sign me up

--------------------------------
     REVIEW ZONE
--------------------------------

Conan the Barbarian (1982)

Wheels on Meals (1984)

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

Interstella 5555 (2003)

Dirty Duck (1974)

The Third Man (1949)

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

just found my member card. hype for movie club

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

always up for a heist movie. hell yeah

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fucker posted:

oh wat
why did the movie get revealed in advance :negative:

man seeing his first movie trailer

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

hell yeah

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

:hai:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Martman posted:

Conan the Barbarian

badass. I've never seen it before, excellent pick. James Earl Jones manages to be an all-timer villain sheerly through his hosed up piercing gaze. I was surprised at how goofy Conan the character is; I was expecting more stoicism but he's kind of a clown whenever he meets a new buddy. In the first half I was kind of eh on the fights, but as they get more over the top and gory it works for me.

Really awesome set design, costumes, music, lighting... in a lot of ways I appreciate it in the way I appreciate the original Star Wars, where corny moments work in its favor and add to the pulpy vibe.

I was thinking about how much the Sega game Golden Axe must have obviously been inspired by Conan, and then like a minute later I recognized a scream that was sampled directly in the game lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ6C69ZvW-w&t=21s (21 seconds and another one I didn't recognize at 1:12)

lol badass

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Conan the Barbarian

What a loving movie lol. Basically perfect, everyone in it is great but extra credit to Max von Sydow as King Osric, god drat that's a good scene. The pacing and momentum in the whole movie is perfect and it's impossible to stop watching once you've started. Incredibly satisfying ending and I really haven't seen anything like it since.

starbarry clock posted:

i also didnt like how the hammer underling illustrates his strength with his weapon by knocking down a pillar then hits conan upside the head and conan shrugs it off

this happens because flesh is stronger than steel.

5/5 vhs tapes

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

M
Courtesy of rodbeard

When the police in a German city are unable to catch a child-murderer, other criminals join in the manhunt.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsVproWjN6c

Director: Fritz Lang
Writer: Thea von Harbou, Fritz Lang, Egon Jacobsohn
Stars: Peter Lorre, Ellen Widmann, Inge Landgut

Available On: Plex (free), Max, Youtube (free), Criterion Channel

Available From: 2/26-3/10

good poo poo, peter lorre ftw

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

valeria & sandahl bergman ftw

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Wheels on Meals

I love this movie and I love how weird it is lol. Sammo Hung in jheri curls, the plot that seems like it was structured entirely around finding a way to get everybody into an evil castle by the end, the villain who becomes Chinese and a foot shorter when he puts on the fencing mask, etc. I think the boss fight toward the end might be my favorite fight in any Jackie Chan movie and it's a big part of why I love this one. Benny Urquidez is just so goddamn fast and it's amazing to see him & Jackie both going all-out, feels like neither of them was holding back at all. I do wish there were more actual fight scenes, but the ones we get are so good it's still satisfying.

I think Police Story is a more solid movie and probably the best Jackie Chan movie overall, but I have a lot of affection for the weird silly tone this one has and it's become one of my favorites. Glad imps have been enjoying it!

4/5 vhs tapes

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fucker posted:

lol i noticed that too and its weird cause i could swear sometimes in the middle of the fight it actually is the spanish dude, but then they have this shot where its just him standing around menacingly and its the chinese guy. wtf

yea it rules lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

oh yeah also extra credit for the way they both their jackets off lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

good pick. M month continues

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Big Trouble in Little China
Courtesy of Stone Cold 64

A rough-and-tumble trucker and his side kick face off with an ancient sorcerer in a supernatural battle beneath Chinatown.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=592EiTD2Hgo

Director: John Carpenter
Writer: Gary Goldman, David Z. Weinstein, W.D. Richter
Stars: Kurt Russell, Kim Cattrall, Dennis Dun

Available On: AMC+, archive.org: https://archive.org/details/bigtroubleinlittlechina1986kurtrussell

Available From: 3/4 - 3/18

lol hell yeah

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

RIKI-OH: THE STORY OF RICKY
Courtesy of Sleng Teng

Riki-Oh, a young man who has superhuman strength, is incarcerated in a private prison, where inmates are treated like slaves. He is forced to use his unstoppable form of martial arts to destroy the corrupt officials and their lackeys.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23jj_qVUNbY

Director: Ngai Choi Lam
Writer: Tetsuya Saruwatari, Masahiko Takajo, Ngai Choi Lam
Stars: Siu-Wong Fan, Mei Sheng Fan, Ka-Kui Ho

Available On: Criterion Channel, archive.org: https://archive.org/details/riki-oh-the-story-of-ricky-1991

Available From: 3/18 - 3/31

oh hell yeah lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Big Trouble in Little China

We really need to get back to making movies like this again lol. Jack Burton is an unrelenting dumbass and one of the best protagonists ever

basically a perfect movie, 5/5 vhs tapes

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

good pick

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

its basically that, die hard, and face/off

perfect films

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Spoderman posted:

i watched wheels on meals but didn’t want to brag about it. it was good

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

original pick was attack on block but in the 12 hour gap between him pickin it and me makin this post it was taken off hulu

negative imp magic

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

steve martin ftw

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

rollin today because i'm not gonna be around tomorrow
                            /

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fucker posted:

"35 year old" man w/ a lame rear end job, 4 kids and a fkn mansion

gently caress you boomers

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol congrats

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol. This is easily one of the films of 1974

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

time over for parenthood, time starts for dirty duck I guess

lol newly divorced dad FB post

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Interstella 5555

This ruled. Happy to have an excuse to listen to Discovery in its entirety again, what an album. We need to get back to making rock operas about record execs ruining music (and lmao that the record company is literally called "Record Company"). Also I loved the sweetly optimistic idea of the entire Earth happily working together to send these aliens back to their home planet, that was so uncynical it actually surprised me lol. Really good pick

4/5 vhs tapes

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

we dont need no giant robots, we dont need no bishy twinks
no ojousamas in the classroom, hey, teacher, senpai noticed me

lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

hey! you! yes, you! how can you eat your purin if you don't eat your katsu?!

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

(Translator’s note: Kabe means Wall)

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Dirty Duck

When I was about 15 years old, I accidentally slammed my fingers in a car door in my parents' garage. My mom had already walked into the house before I even left the car, so nobody saw it happen. My entire hand was trapped in the car door, which was fully closed and locked, and three of my fingers were crushed under the frame. The pain was excruciating. I yelled of course, but because of the soundproofing in the walls, nobody heard me at first. Trying to pull my hand out was pointless and only hurt more, and I had no keys so I couldn't open the door. I started to realize that nobody was going to help me, at least not right away, and that I was probably going to be stuck there for a while. I stood there for what felt like forever, in overwhelming pain the entire time, shouting for help at intervals and probably sounding more and more desperate.

I remember wondering to myself at some point if maybe my nervous system would adapt to the pain after a few minutes, or if my hand might go numb or start to hurt less. But no, the entire time I was stuck, I was in constant agony, and at no point did it let up even a little. In fact as time went on and I got more and more frustrated, the pain intensified. By the time my mom finally heard my shouting and came to help, I felt like I was going to be trapped there forever. When I think back on this I realize that I don't really remember the initial injury or how much it hurt, I just remember how endless the experience felt. The pain was intense, but the exasperation of being confined somewhere with absolutely no way out was the thing that got to me, and that made the brief time I was stuck feel like hours. Dirty Duck (1974) has a runtime of 75 minutes.
0/5 vhs tapes

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

yoko ono's head is sticking out of a toilet and the duck tells her to shut up. this is "the funniest line in the movie"

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

sourdough posted:

Interstella 5555: good poo poo. Began and ended at particularly high points, but good throughout. Great fit between music and animation. 4 out of 5

Good reaction image for watching down and dirty duck lol

that kid would make a good av lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

I actually kind of liked the animation. The style reminded me of some of those late 80s Nickelodeon bumper segments. Really ugly but in kind of a nice, nostalgic way.

almost all the animation was done by one guy which is frankly pretty impressive even if I hated it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

not to brag, but I've made every single one of my turds without assistance

lol