Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
you'd better sign me up since consensus was i picked the best+ most intelligent and artistic movie last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

HELL OR HIGH WATER
Courtesy of Chuck Buried Treasure

Toby is a divorced father who's trying to make a better life. His brother is an ex-con with a short temper and a loose trigger finger. Together, they plan a series of heists against the bank that's about to foreclose on their family ranch.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQoqsKoJVDw

Director: David Mackenzie
Writer: Taylor Sheridan
Stars: Chris Pine, Ben Foster, Jeff Bridges

Available On: Paramount Plus, The Roku Channel (free)

Available From: 2/6 - 2/19

This is a good movie

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
conan ftw. the move where rolls and chucks the witch into the fire always kills me.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

Conan the Barbarian

eh?

i'm going to chalk a good chunk of my feelings on the movie to not being into fantasy much at all and also having never seen it until now, but man it just never really clicked for me. on a technical level it was ambitiously impressive with the set designs, all the extras, the practical effects, etc. but when it actually came to the movie it just felt...lacking i guess? not sure how best to put it into words but though the actual combat was a good level of clumsy camp, everything outside of it left me wanting more since most of the time it's just stringing along from setpiece for a fight to setpiece for a fight. i don't remember who said it during Speed Racer that it felt like a live-action cartoon, but i got that same vibe from Conan but in a lot grittier, more low-budget way and it wasn't one i found myself adoring on the level of Speed Racer. James Earl Jones was fantastic and every line out of his mouth was gold, and i appreciate beefcake Arnie doing Arnie things but everyone outside of them wasn't particularly memorable, even Max von Sydow since he has like five minutes of screen time. the ending hit really well at least and there were a fair few funny bits i laughed at but most of the time the movie fell into a weird chasm for me where it's almost taking itself too seriously so it can become pure camp, but falls short because of being so straightforward so it's stuck in a weird limbo. i don't mean to be a stick in the mud cuz it's clear there's a lot of love for this movie in the thread but it really just didn't do much for me

was waffling on my final rating a lot before i ultimately asked myself if i'd watch the movie over again rather than some select scenes and that gave me my answer

6.5/10

Yo ur rear end is pugged.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Sleng Teng posted:

Conan The Barbarian: 3/5

Fun film! James Earl Jones really carries this, as well as the variety of great shots and locales it contains. I was surprised at how much I remembered despite catching only small pieces of it dozens of times throughout my childhood/teens, which probably colors my outlook on it positively. I’m a fan of some of the special fx they use for spirits lol, it’s weird and at times hard to discern and it owns. very of its movie in a positive way.

You’re cool tho, sleng. Stay fly dawg :chhers:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

interest check btw in a special movie club simulwatch of freddy got fingered when it goes on the criterion channel next month. interested?

Yes

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i've been watching the benny the jet urquidez vs jackie chan fight a couple times a month for probably 10 years now. easily my favorite fight from a kung-fu movie, you can tell benny is dangerous as gently caress irl in a way the vast majority of movies don't get across.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
the reason

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

herculon posted:

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky is a wild ride. I've known about this movie, but this is my first time watching it. I watched the dubbed version because I didn't feel like reading, and I think that enhanced how outrageous this movie is. I don't know much about the manga, so I don't know if the manga takes itself seriously or was a Fist of the North Star parody. This movie does not take itself seriously and is a much better film for it. A solid recommend

the manga goes to the moon

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

DAY OF THE DEAD
Courtesy of MacheteZombie

As the world is overrun by zombies, a group of scientists and military personnel sheltering in an underground bunker in Florida must decide on how they should deal with the undead horde.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g9XorBCikM

Director: George A. Romero
Writer: George A. Romero
Stars: Lori Cardille, Terry Alexander, Joseph Pilato

Available On: Hulu, Fubo, Peacock, The Roku Channel

Available From: 3/25 - 4/7

this is the best of the dead movies

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

yeah i was pretty sure it started today but maybe i'm confused, lol.

in terms of the 1001 list, it's up to 1245 at this point. i'm on track to watch them all before i die, even considering how slow i approach it and my limited timeline, so I'm going to stick to it to get the platinum :D

that's too many

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
just pick airplane then

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

one of the rare movies that's two hours but feels like a well paced one-and-a-half. true movie magic

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
pick paddington 2

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
see what happens when you let the english infest your communities

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

ok i updated the post but its something called ALAN PARTRIDGE: ALPHA PAPA

oh this movie actually kicks rear end

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
not as good as Hamlet 2 but still good

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
steve martin ftw

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

tmfc posted:

also, this and Dragon Ball Z and Cowboy Bebop are pretty much all the anime anyone should ever need.

this guy's been trolling non stop for like a week. do we even have mods anymore?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

When I was about 15 years old, I accidentally slammed my fingers in a car door in my parents' garage. My mom had already walked into the house before I even left the car, so nobody saw it happen. My entire hand was trapped in the car door, which was fully closed and locked, and three of my fingers were crushed under the frame. The pain was excruciating. I yelled of course, but because of the soundproofing in the walls, nobody heard me at first. Trying to pull my hand out was pointless and only hurt more, and I had no keys so I couldn't open the door. I started to realize that nobody was going to help me, at least not right away, and that I was probably going to be stuck there for a while. I stood there for what felt like forever, in overwhelming pain the entire time, shouting for help at intervals and probably sounding more and more desperate.

I remember wondering to myself at some point if maybe my nervous system would adapt to the pain after a few minutes, or if my hand might go numb or start to hurt less. But no, the entire time I was stuck, I was in constant agony, and at no point did it let up even a little. In fact as time went on and I got more and more frustrated, the pain intensified. By the time my mom finally heard my shouting and came to help, I felt like I was going to be trapped there forever. When I think back on this I realize that I don't really remember the initial injury or how much it hurt, I just remember how endless the experience felt. The pain was intense, but the exasperation of being confined somewhere with absolutely no way out was the thing that got to me, and that made the brief time I was stuck feel like hours. Dirty Duck (1974) has a runtime of 75 minutes.
0/5 vhs tapes

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

i like how the arrow points at johns head when he pops out first then when yokos out the john arrow points at the toilet because a toilet is a john!

wow that is funny

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

the turd man

sup?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
oh no

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
is banning starberry clock on the table?

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

tmfc posted:

pretty much all of the 70s counterculture / underground animation stuff sucks and is bad and this in particular is the worst i've seen lol.

The sexual revolution produced nothing but predators lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

ive been convinced to post my review a little earlier than i was planning so buckle in we are going for a wild ride

so i want to start off with that i think the smutty cheap sex joke ladled part of the movie is indeed the weakest part but i also feel its a smokescreen for a brilliant narrative

its all tongue in cheek, its clear that the movie sets out to be hyper offensive from the start when a guy motorboats a flowers tits and plops a turd in the toilet then keyfucks his car

theres also the song that calls the film cheap and a great big hunk of poo poo at the outset

and its there for the entire length of the movie, this never goes away, but even though this seems over the top and unnecessary, i think it does add to the film ultimately and ill be explaining why shortly

i feel this is a journey of self-actualization for willard

he was both horny and impotent, sex crazed but resentful of who he is, strung-out from his negative self-image and feelings of worthlessness in every aspect of his life

he lives in a dingy flat, cant get his car to start, missed the bus because somebody more self-assured was asserting himself on a lady in the doorway, screwed up his chance with the girl of his dreams which he refuses to admit is anything more than his regressive libidos overt desires

pretty much, the guy loving sucks. and his approach to life blows. and he hates himself.

Enter(eventually literally) The Duck

this is where i get a little heady, because the duck is the only anthropomorphic character in the whole film. he stands out. He Means Something. and what i think the duck is... is an avatar of willards ideal way of being

the duck hangs loose, doesnt let things become a drag, goes with the flow, does everything to prop up willard from the depths of his misery, the duck is everything that willard wishes he could do but cant because of his own mental barriers that limit his success in life

and i think when you realize that, certain events make more sense

im going to skip to the ending for a moment to clear this up before i reverse course and talk more about what The Locations mean

so after not getting laid the whole film and crashing and burning, willard returns home, defeated, and regresses back into his masturbatory habits, essentially giving up

but the duck doesnt give up, and after devouring the seemingly last method of satisfaction willard can achieve in his miserable life, becomes female in the process

this is reference by a "you are what you eat" throwaway joke about eating the pussycat, but i think eating the sex doll contraption is what really locked in the duck as a girl

and if you take the duck as an extension of willards potential, willard then having sex with her, Becoming One with her, is actually willard finally loving getting it after getting his dick kicked in the entire movie

being ruled by your primal desires only sets up an unrealistic expectation of yourself, but all he really needed was to love himself to give him the confidence that he so desperately needed in his life

its a simple story of self-acceptance, but done exceedingly well through a veil of irony laden sexual, racist, homophobic verbiage and surrealistic imagery and psychedelic visuals

you just need to brush all that aside to see what the film is really trying to say, at least in my opinion

also about the locations, ill just briefly go over this since ive already written so much

the prison is how willard sees his life, the whorehouse is willard confronting the crux of his sexual inadequacies and where all the lust takes him, which is then the desert, a barren land of no direction, he feels listless there and questions what hes doing and why hes doing them and wonders if hes going crazy at this point because

without love, passion is pointless. you have to love yourself before you can love others

glad he figures that out :santahurr:

anyway thats what i think about the film, its not overly complicated or deep but it spoke to me when i watched it and i thought it was very touching, its nice to see a loser like willard figure out whats really important

also, i love the art, background images, music, some of the humor(but not all, i dont see it as a pure comedy though so that doesnt really matter as much to me), even the story as convoluted and cluttered with vulgarity and nonsense as it is

thats life baby

10/10

post like this on facebook :gamefreak:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i'm literally starting dirty duck b/c of the reviews. dancing on starberry clocks strings.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
coors no 4 @ 18 minuytes. this portrayal of a drug dealer might be considered racist today

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
coors 5 @ 38 minutes. this food bit sucks

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
the pace is so glacial i get excited when a song starts lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
heyy the food joke is bac k :cheers: loving kill me

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
dirty duck. utterly charmless. the timing, dialogue, voice acting undermine any chance this movie had to be funny. you can see its of the creative mindset of successful cartoons today like athf, home movies, smiling friends but lacks the conversational affect necessary to make those shows effective and i feel the same way about the use of mixed media. it's just not good enough and so slowly delivered giving the movie an uneasy pace. the music was the best part by far, and there wasn't enough of it and way too much talking between. i know the design of hte protagonist was intentional but i think it's so unappealing that it undermines any point about him being milquetoast or simple. this could be called ahead of its time if you wanted to piss everyone off. do not watch this movie, it is worthy of a footnote and nothing else. also the guy who made this made the equally miserable show mike, lou, and og llo

0.5 baags of popcorn

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

i kind of want to watch the duck to see what childhood trauma it digs up for me

it's not even that interesting. it's mostly flat, slowly delivered dialogue with lovely drawings on top

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
and not in a cool way

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
it feels really insincere. just a bad vibe

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

you cannot judge me until you yourself have witnessed the selfsame thing

i watched it. i judge that you're a jackass

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
the wit of a down and dirty duck fan on full display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fucker posted:

i saw a gigantic ninja turn into 10 ninjas but surviving getting half your body sliced off is too much :rolleyes: whatever you say starbarry

honestly k;ind of uppity of his rear end to come at you like this