Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

thanks for running another round of this. last one got me watching more movies than i have in a long-rear end time and that ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

"you're stupid" lmfao

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Hell or High Water: great heist movie. great at building tension, like the checkpoint at the end of the film. wild to have a heist film leave me feeling so bummed out though lol. also wrong ranger died 4/5

Conan the Barbarian: timeless action flick. like i said earlier i always remember, like, the snake fight or the battle on the hills at the end but i forget the comedy like the wizard stabbing a guy and freaking out over it subotai clapping him on the back all "that's how we do it!" or conan luring the priest somewhere to steal his clothes and then thinking he's totally fooled these guys. james earl jones absolutely kicked rear end as thulsa doom. great pick. 4.5/5

Wheels on Meals: loving miss this kind of movie so much. some really good fights especially in the castle. jokes landed pretty well too, esp. the fight gags like jackie getting punched in the face when he tries to feint a rush too many times. also "pull me up for another round! i'll kick your rear end!" lol. 3/5

M: i havent seen many movies from this time period and don't have much background in cinema history so i din't really know what to expect from a film that was made nearly a century ago. overall a really interesting movie. idk if the great silence of it was like a stylistic choice or a limitation but it honestly worked really well for it. made things feel isolated and weird. the scene where it's cutting abck and forth between the gang leaders and the police talking about what they need to do was pretty cool, and the trial was wild. 3.5/5

Bad Boy bubby: i laughed more than once and also still feel a little nauseous lol. absolutely disturbing poo poo, but incredibly moving film. clearly artistically a good movie, and also everybody involved in making it should be in jail. 4/5

Interstela 5555: way more melancholy than i expected and then way more optimistic than i thought it could get. super fun idea to make a movie about the story you imagine happening in an album that i think worked out pretty well. 4.5/5

Down and Dirty Duck: an hour and ten minutes of abstract-ish collage that didnt really resonate with me. It feels really singular so i bet the people who like this like it a whole loving lot but it just never really made contact with me. i thought the songs as like a chorus for an ancient greek play was kind of cool but i found myself trying to pay more attention to them than to the visuals of the movie. also the biggest laugh the movie got out of me was the credits 1/5

The Third Man: god drat this kicked rear end. the shots and the lighting were excellent, esp. the way the motion of the actors worked with it (like during the stakeout scene). amazing job with holly as the point of view character: unqualified for the work, doesn't understand anything half the people say, and once he finally has somebody explain it all to him he just gets plastered lol. also pointing at the screen when the cat went to the guy all HOLY poo poo HE'S ALIVE?! like a dumbass lol. incredible loving flick. 5/5

Duel to the Death: man gently caress these ninjas only thing theyre good for is exploding. cool watching the motivations behind the fight and especially Ching Wan start off all hype for the fight and then a little rattled after talking with his forest crackhead first master about it (talking about how he was forced into the fight for the guy's pride) and then after killing his eight hundredth ninja and the fight with his girl's dad he's just done with it. hashimoto's arc was cool too as his motivation for fighting changed even though his desire to have the duel didn;'t. Action was top notch which a film like this lives or dies on. I read a lot of wuxia comics these days and i feel like few movies really capture the otherworldliness of the genre very well, but this one i think nailed it right out the gate. 4/5

copy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 20, 2024

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

oh favorite scene: jeff bridges and the cowboy who was racin a brush fire to the river. really good poo poo there.

rollin for next pick in a minute btw.

film does not shy away from its themes, but bridges just going "nah those boys are on their own" there really stuck out for me

copy
Jul 26, 2007

also the diner scene where the guy goes "seems foolish. time's passed where you can rob a bank and live to spend the money" i felt like he was staring right at the camera lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

"the banks are just like the white people stealing land from the native Americans" was a touch too on the nose as well lol

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

hype for conan rewatch

copy
Jul 26, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Conan kicked a lot of rear end.

the movie's good too

copy
Jul 26, 2007

watching conan tonight hoype

copy
Jul 26, 2007

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

lmao. all entertainment and streaming company executives should be beaten with bamboo cane

also win

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol conan meeting the narrator wizard and theyre just instant best friends. i fuckin love this movie

copy
Jul 26, 2007

i always remember the cool fights but for some reason every time i watch conan i am surprised by the comedy

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Conan the Barbarian: 4.5/5 timeless action flick. like i said earlier i always remember, like, the snake fight or the battle on the hills at the end but i forget the comedy like the wizard stabbing a guy and freaking out over it subotai clapping him on the back all "that's how we do it!" or conan luring the priest somewhere to steal his clothes and then thinking he's totally fooled these guys. james earl jones absolutely kicked rear end as thulsa doom. great pick.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lmfao the number one pimp on hooker street

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Wheels on Meals: loving miss this kind of movie so much. some really good fights especially in the castle. jokes landed pretty well too, esp. the fight gags like jackie getting punched in the face when he tries to feint a rush too many times. also "pull me up for another round! i'll kick your rear end!" lol. 3/5

copy
Jul 26, 2007

gang leaders creating the beggar sect lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

M: i havent seen many movies from this time period and don't have much background in cinema history so i din't really know what to expect from a film that was made nearly a century ago. overall a really interesting movie. idk if the great silence of it was like a stylistic choice or a limitation but it honestly worked really well for it. made things feel isolated and weird. the scene where it's cutting abck and forth between the gang leaders and the police talking about what they need to do was pretty cool, and the trial was wild. 3.5/5

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Bubby has spent thirty years trapped in the same small room, tricked by his mother. One day, he manages to escape, and, deranged and naive in equal measures, his adventure into the modern and nihilistic life begins.

Odd Boy

copy
Jul 26, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

that description is so understated for what this movie is its insane

lol hoype

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol username thematically appropriate pick

copy
Jul 26, 2007

herculon posted:

MacheteZombie staying on brand. Gotta respect it

yup

copy
Jul 26, 2007

i remember watching this on tv as a kid. formative zombie film

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

She's such a trickster lol

lol jesus

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Bad Boy bubby: i laughed more than once and also still feel a little nauseous lol. absolutely disturbing poo poo, but incredibly moving film. clearly artistically a good movie, and also everybody involved in making it should be in jail. 4/5

copy
Jul 26, 2007

excellent complicated pick, ttjo

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

original pick was attack on block but in the 12 hour gap between him pickin it and me makin this post it was taken off hulu

block struck back

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol newly divorced dad FB post

lmfao

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

When I was about 15 years old, I accidentally slammed my fingers in a car door in my parents' garage. My mom had already walked into the house before I even left the car, so nobody saw it happen. My entire hand was trapped in the car door, which was fully closed and locked, and three of my fingers were crushed under the frame. The pain was excruciating. I yelled of course, but because of the soundproofing in the walls, nobody heard me at first. Trying to pull my hand out was pointless and only hurt more, and I had no keys so I couldn't open the door. I started to realize that nobody was going to help me, at least not right away, and that I was probably going to be stuck there for a while. I stood there for what felt like forever, in overwhelming pain the entire time, shouting for help at intervals and probably sounding more and more desperate.

I remember wondering to myself at some point if maybe my nervous system would adapt to the pain after a few minutes, or if my hand might go numb or start to hurt less. But no, the entire time I was stuck, I was in constant agony, and at no point did it let up even a little. In fact as time went on and I got more and more frustrated, the pain intensified. By the time my mom finally heard my shouting and came to help, I felt like I was going to be trapped there forever. When I think back on this I realize that I don't really remember the initial injury or how much it hurt, I just remember how endless the experience felt. The pain was intense, but the exasperation of being confined somewhere with absolutely no way out was the thing that got to me, and that made the brief time I was stuck feel like hours. Dirty Duck (1974) has a runtime of 75 minutes.
0/5 vhs tapes

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Interstela 5555: way more melancholy than i expected and then way more optimistic than i thought it could get. super fun idea to make a movie about the story you imagine happening in an album that i think worked out pretty well. 4.5/5

copy
Jul 26, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

not to brag, but I've made every single one of my turds without assistance

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Down and Dirty Duck: an hour and ten minutes of abstract-ish collage that didnt really resonate with me. It feels really singular so i bet the people who like this like it a whole loving lot but it just never really made contact with me. i thought the songs as like a chorus for an ancient greek play was kind of cool but i found myself trying to pay more attention to them than to the visuals of the movie. also the biggest laugh the movie got out of me was the credits 1/5

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

wuxia ftmfw

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

also, thank you, Fungah, for running this for the dozen or so people who read it, lol. nice to have an online movie club :cheers:

this. i think i said it earlier but i p much didnt watch movies much at all before the last one and this one. lot of fun to watch + discuss.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

symbolic posted:

aww you're sweet

hello human resources

lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The Third Man: god drat this kicked rear end. the shots and the lighting were excellent, esp. the way the motion of the actors worked with it (like during the stakeout scene). amazing job with holly as the point of view character: unqualified for the work, doesn't understand anything half the people say, and once he finally has somebody explain it all to him he just gets plastered lol. also pointing at the screen when the cat went to the guy all HOLY poo poo HE'S ALIVE?! like a dumbass lol. incredible loving flick. 5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

still floored by how hard a noir film with a spongebob sound font nailed it too. godly poo poo