Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
my 2024 bbv rental reviews:

hell or high water - 3.75/5 stars
conan the barbarian - 3/5 stars
the third man - 4/5 stars
duel to the death - 3.5/5 stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
watched hell or high water last night. a pretty good little gritty western. i like this type of film, so a bit biased maybe.

the dreamy chris pine’s character was very endearing, and i couldn’t help but want his masterplan to succeed. ben foster’s character was just the right amount of over the top big brother criminal. jeff bridges played the stereotypical old rear end racist texas ranger role well, even if it was really on the nose the majority of the time. almost all of the side characters helped carry the scenes well - excellent waitresses lmao...

a couple of pretty good jfc scenes out of nowhere with a touch of ultra violence/gore - that gas station scene was wild and unexpected? either way, not too much to make it weird, but instead, it was impactful and helped you realize that there are no good or bad guys in this film. sometimes i hate how these western crime movies end, but this one handled it well enough.

overall, good writing, cinematography, and score. pretty decent acting from the whole cast. i enjoyed this pick.

3.75/5 stars

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
gently caress yes wheels on meals. excellent. so pumped for this rewatch.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
watched conan the barbarian during two sessions because i fell asleep about half way through. oops. the middle part kinda drags a bit when conan starts his quest into the desert alone. however, with the encouragement from Fungah!, i finished it up the other night... and i am really glad i did. the last 40 or so minutes owned. the ending fight scenes were awesome. i still don't know if i actually like this movie, but i like a lot of stuff about it. the costumes and music are cool as hell, the jokes and acting are just the right amount of cringe, and the fighting is pretty badass. big strongman stuff, and i really like how badass valeria was as well. "do you want to live forever?" lmao, it kills me every time.

anyway, good pick and glad i made myself finish it.

3/5 stars

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Fungah! posted:

btw now that we're a couple months in tomorrow i'm gonna cut anyone who hasn't watched a single movie.

im still around (i know, ive watched a couple movies...) just been busy and not really had time for movie watching! will be back soon!

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

symbolic posted:

thank you Bicyclops

lol

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

will have you something tonight or tomorrow! :)

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i hope everyone enjoys it!

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
yeah. i was really bummed i couldn’t find a subbed version. i’m in the same boat of massively preferring subtitled films instead of english dubbing. i promise i’ll find a good sub for my next one!!!

gonna watch the third man and rewatch duel to the death this weekend. :3:

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
just finished the third man but i can’t write a longer review right now. however it was extremely cool. absolutely loved it, the way it was filmed, the music, everything, wonderful pick. 4/5

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Fucker posted:

i saw a gigantic ninja turn into 10 ninjas but surviving getting half your body sliced off is too much :rolleyes: whatever you say starbarry

lol

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
finally had some time to watch Duel to the Death tonight. this is probably the fourth time i’ve seen this film over the years, and it makes me laugh every time. it is pretty decent wuxia and martial arts mix, and i always love a good duel movie. the story leading up to the duel was so weird, but it gives us so many moments to see the ninjas doing their thing against the honorable chinese kung fu masters. also lol boobs distracting the monk and a priest’s head exploding, perfect levels of weird. anyway, the wire work was good even if you could see it at times, excellent costuming and weapon fighting, and unexpected twists and turns at the right times. 3.5/5

i picked this one because i had assumed many of you hadn’t seen it, and not everyone has been introduced to this kind of wuxia/china vs japan storyline. i’m glad to see people enjoying it for all of the reasons i picked it! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
oh yes, the ending is extremely :kiss:, excellent framing, and perfectly summed up with this from before:

Fungah! posted:

The best sword master from China vs the best sword master from Japan. Who will win?