Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I got the tude now posted:

you'd better sign me up since consensus was i picked the best+ most intelligent and artistic movie last time.

I thought Roth was the one who picked Gamera :confused:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Hell or High Water: I grew up in a lovely little Western town much like the ones in the movie and they felt very accurate to that experience. I appreciated that there was some nuance in the characters, nobody was heroic and nobody was totally in the wrong (except Texas Midlands Bank, those mother fuckers). Came to hate Jeff Bridges' character especially at the end, having met a bunch of racist idiot cowboy cops IRL. 4 stars

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

"the banks are just like the white people stealing land from the native Americans" was a touch too on the nose as well lol

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Fungah! posted:

CONAN STARTED ABOUT 9 HOURS AGO BTW

Wow, I didn't know that movie was that long. 😂 😂

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Conan: Probably one of the most 80s movies there is. I thought the effects were pretty good, sets looked nice, and the acting was largely pretty bad with the exception of James Earl Jones and Mako. Big lol at the crucifixion and resurrection scene. Big lol also at Arnold's vomitous "bleeeaugh! Yeaauug!" noises when he takes damage.

3 stars out of 5

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Forgot to mention, also laughed really hard when Conan punched a camel in the face

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Wheels on Meals: I've been in a kung fu movie mood lately so this was well timed. Loved the fight choreography throughout. Jackie Chan makes it look so easy.

I think my favorite stunt was right at the end when Yuen Biao does a combat roll through the food truck window. Totally unnecessary in the best way.

I watched this on free Plex and I think the ads were busted because literally every break was the same Gain laundry detergent ad three times in a row. 3 stars

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

lmao. drunk reviews should be mandatory here

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Big Trouble in Little China: Love a quick and silly action flick. I don't know why Kurt Russell is doing some kind of cross between John Wayne and Han Solo but it works. Thought the sets looked great and the special effects haven't aged too badly. I enjoyed this one a lot, probably 4 stars out of 5.

Victor Wong is cool.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Riki-Oh: Big fan of martial arts movies so I'm grading this one on a curve. I thought the beginning was great, with Ricky stopping the police batons, the x-ray, the fat guy fight in the shower etc. Kind of slowed down in the middle but they got me back with the prison riot and final fight. I love cheesy gore effects and there was a lot of it. Real sicko poo poo sometimes. 4 stars

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Fungah! posted:

DIRTY DUCK
Courtesy of starbarry clock

hmm

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Dirty Duck - I think I didn't like this. What was weird for me was that it always felt on the verge of being funny, but it never was. Like the shapeshifting John Wayne police officer is a really bizarre concept that should have been funny. Skibidi Yoko should have been funny.

I actually kind of liked the animation. The style reminded me of some of those late 80s Nickelodeon bumper segments. Really ugly but in kind of a nice, nostalgic way.

But mostly this was awful. 1 star

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

My pick is gonna be Howard the Duck in retaliation for this

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Third Man: This is the kind of movie that's difficult to say something new about. Everything was well done. The sets were nice, the acting was good, and the plot was pretty standard noir fare but executed well.

Some slightly more specific observations:
I liked how Holly doesn't stop calling Callaway "Callaghan" until right at the end, like he finally cares enough to get it right. As someone else said, I'm really glad he didn't get the girl at the end; that would have been a cheap ending and it's used far too often in movies of the time. The sewer chase at the end was great, very claustrophobic and tense.

4 stars I think

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Dude why would you watch it twice lol

Watching A Serbian Film three times in a row just to confirm that it is indeed disturbing

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Fungah! posted:

plebian parasite by one single atom

pp get me your movie when you can

lol goddammit

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

UHF rules. Perfect stupid comedy

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I think everybody knows this by now, but I love that Mark Knopfler demanded to play guitar on the Money for Nothing parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

based on fucker's posting I assume they're from one of those grey Soviet bloc countries where joy is illegal