Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Put me in coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

herculon posted:

Can't wait to see Chuck's quadruple feature

Strap the gently caress in

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I just got the new 4K release from Arrow in last week, I meant to watch it straight away but was too busy. Now I'm glad I never did lol. Hell yeah, good pick.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

Wow, I didn't know that movie was that long. 😂 😂

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I didn’t rewatch my picks last year, but I rewatch Hell or High Water semi-regularly anyway and it was about time for another. I like this one a lot, I think Fucker is right that it’s missing something I can’t quite put my finger on that keeps it from being truly great, but it’s drat good. The four primary characters all turn in great performances and great line deliveries from a clever script. A lot of scenes and lines have stuck with me since I first saw it, like the t-bone cafe waitress, or Foster’s delivery of the “no. It makes me, CO-MAN-CHEE.”

It’s nothing you haven’t seen before in a movie like this, but it’s all done very well. I love how well it captures the atmosphere of rundown small towns in Texas, I love the banter between both pairs of protagonists. I love how memorable even side characters who might only have a few lines are. I can’t quite call it one of my all-time favorites but it’s one I have a ton of fun with every time I watch it and I’m glad most people here enjoyed it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cool, I saw clips and scenes of M in a humanities class I took about art from the Weimar Republic period but never saw the full thing.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I watched Conan the Barbarian several days ago and kept forgetting to post about it here.

I thought I had watched it before but I think I must have only seen the first half or so, I remembered everything through the theft in the tower, but everything after that seemed new to me. I think Pragmatica’s right that it drags in the middle, after he sets off on the journey to find the princess solo but before the series of battles at the end. A couple of action scenes scattered through there would have done a lot. But the first and final acts are so epic and iconic that some pacing issues in the middle don’t drag my opinion of the movie overall down too far.

I love the old Conan short stories and this movie does a good job capturing them, set design and costuming are fantastic and exactly what a Conan movie should be. Performances are either genuinely good or objectively kind of bad but in a fun way. It’s interesting how much comedy is in the movie, it’s a very different sort of comedy than the “Let off some steam, Bennett” stuff he’d be known for later but I had always thought Commando was a turning point for him being more comedic in later roles, I didn’t realize that casting directors were looking at this enormous superhuman slab of muscle and thinking about how funny he’d be from day one.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I just marathoned all the Romero zombie movies recently enough that they’re still fresh in my mind so I might pass this time but it’s a good movie and a good pick, I’m looking forward to the discussion.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

copy posted:

block struck back

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

we dont need no giant robots, we dont need no bishy twinks
no ojousamas in the classroom, hey, teacher, senpai noticed me

lmfao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

When I was about 15 years old, I accidentally slammed my fingers in a car door in my parents' garage. My mom had already walked into the house before I even left the car, so nobody saw it happen. My entire hand was trapped in the car door, which was fully closed and locked, and three of my fingers were crushed under the frame. The pain was excruciating. I yelled of course, but because of the soundproofing in the walls, nobody heard me at first. Trying to pull my hand out was pointless and only hurt more, and I had no keys so I couldn't open the door. I started to realize that nobody was going to help me, at least not right away, and that I was probably going to be stuck there for a while. I stood there for what felt like forever, in overwhelming pain the entire time, shouting for help at intervals and probably sounding more and more desperate.

I remember wondering to myself at some point if maybe my nervous system would adapt to the pain after a few minutes, or if my hand might go numb or start to hurt less. But no, the entire time I was stuck, I was in constant agony, and at no point did it let up even a little. In fact as time went on and I got more and more frustrated, the pain intensified. By the time my mom finally heard my shouting and came to help, I felt like I was going to be trapped there forever. When I think back on this I realize that I don't really remember the initial injury or how much it hurt, I just remember how endless the experience felt. The pain was intense, but the exasperation of being confined somewhere with absolutely no way out was the thing that got to me, and that made the brief time I was stuck feel like hours. Dirty Duck (1974) has a runtime of 75 minutes.
0/5 vhs tapes

lmfao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I guess I'll be the only neutral voice on Dirty Duck. If you pointed a gun at me and asked if I liked it and said you'd shoot if I said anything other than yes or no I'd say no, but it just kind of... slid off my brain for the most part. The visual style could be neat, the whole thing overall was pretty impressive to be done by a small team presumably without much in the way of budget, and every now and then they'd have something genuinely pretty interesting to look at. Mostly around cars for some reason, the pileup of photocopied cars early on, the cars later in the movie that all have really weird and unique designs just for the hell of it, the weird looking cop car turning into a weird looking cop.

But none of the humor landed for me--the cop blathering in monotone in a funny voice while firing off his guns absent-mindedly and the used car commercial at the end devolving into the salesman threatening to sic his dogs on you if you don't come down and buy a car were kind of amusing and that was about it. It's clearly aiming to be obscene with all the sex organs and the gay and Mexican stereotypes etc but still somehow feels tame so it's never really funny or shocking. It reminds me of the stuff you'd draw in your notebook as a middle schooler to make your friends laugh, which is remarkably less funny outside of that context. And the story's just the "timid little nervous guy learns to get some confidence and stand up for himself thanks to the intervention of a wacky side character" we've seen a lot, though I did like the little touch of him taking the duck's hat at the very end and finally getting some color in his design. I didn't find myself actively repulsed or annoyed like The Forbidden Zone, but I wasn't engaged enough with it either to like it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm on the literal first scene of Duel to the Death and the camerawork alone as it tracks the ninjas is blowing my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Duel To The Death: a lot of fun, I was shocked to find that this was the director's debut because he seems to already be an expert, as I noted earlier he does lots of great stuff with the camera, the way it swoops around to keep up with the action adds a liveliness even beyond what the excellent fight choreography itself does. Lots of really good visuals, the masked warrior bathed in green light towards the beginning, the endless black void Ching Wan falls into through the trap door, the giant ninja splitting into several through a few seconds of animation, lots and lots of little moments. The final duel was great, instantly iconic, the rocks and crashing waves were such a good setting setting for it. I also really liked the choice not to actually show a victor, although I am of course rooting for my boy Hashimoto. Loved that little trick he did with his scabbard at the end. Ramming his sword through his foot to keep himself upright was so cool. I was trying to figure out where I saw something similar and about 15 minutes after the movie ended it occurred to me that it was Metal Gear Solid 4 lol

I had a lot of fun watching this one, thanks for the pick Prag!