Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome back to blockbuster movie club. stone colds busy on some other poo poo so i'm runnin this round. go ahead and post here to get your membership in. we'll announce each pick on monday, movies last from the day after theyre picked for two weeks, with a new movie picked each week.

:siren:WE HAVE ONE RULE THIS TIME:siren:

when you pick a movie, youre responsible for findin a way to watch it thats accessible to a majority of watchers without a vpn and without goin to one of those steal all your data russian pirate sites. archive.org is acceptable BUT you have to provide the link. if you cant do that then youve got to pick another movie and if you argue too hard i'm stealing your pick! you get one warning and this is it!

picked by Roth
due back 6/2

picked by Plebian Parasite
due back 5/26

picked by chuck buried treasure
LATE FEES WILL BE ASSESSED

picked by elf help book

picked by sub-actuality

picked by rodbeard

picked by Stone Cold 64

picked by trying to jack off

picked by Sleng Teng

picked by MacheteZombie

picked by Dr. Cool Aids

picked by Bicyclops

picked by symbolic

picked by starbarry clock, a degenerate

picked by t a s t e

picked by Pragmatica
due back 5/19

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hell or High Water: ★★★ ½
Conan the Barbarian: ★★★★
Wheels on Meals: ★★★
M: ★★★★
Big Trouble in Little China: ★★★★
Bad Boy Bubby: ★★★ ½
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky: ★★★ ½
Day of the Dead: ★★★ ½
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa: ★★★
Parenthood: ★★: ½
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem: ★★★
Down and Dirty Duck: ½
The Third Man: ★★★★
Duel to the Death: ★★★ ½
UHF: ★★★ ½

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 16, 2024

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

movie year has to start in feburary because awards season, obviously

naturally

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

btw i want to clarify. streaming services tht count: if you can get it for free without pirating it, if its somethin that a lot of people probably have (hulu, netflix, max, etc), if its one of the bigger small services (criterion, shudder). use common freakin sense, thats all

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

you'd better sign me up since consensus was i picked the best+ most intelligent and artistic movie last time.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tmfc posted:

if this post is on the first page still then i'm in to watch and review some stuff this time. don't put me in the pick list though, i am a philistine

I'm purrllting you in the list. sha nahdhnanana

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hell if you dont have any idea at all hit me up. i'ce got a shitloghd

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

just found my member card. hype for movie club

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

change of plans i'm gonna roll tomorrow for th first week to give the weekend to choose/set up th post. i'll roll on fridays from now on too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok, rolling

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

wheel is here:

https://wheelofnames.com/pm6-vqt

our first picker is...

grats chuck, get me your pick by monday

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

Can't wait to see Chuck's quadruple feature

chucks pick: the entire catalogue of kurosawa movies

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

HELL OR HIGH WATER
Courtesy of Chuck Buried Treasure

Toby is a divorced father who's trying to make a better life. His brother is an ex-con with a short temper and a loose trigger finger. Together, they plan a series of heists against the bank that's about to foreclose on their family ranch.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQoqsKoJVDw

Director: David Mackenzie
Writer: Taylor Sheridan
Stars: Chris Pine, Ben Foster, Jeff Bridges

Available On: Paramount Plus, The Roku Channel (free)

Available From: 2/6 - 2/19

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 2, 2024

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

all credit to sub-actuality for th sick gif and movie club card

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

Someone else did my one job

hey, you got eugenes rereg killed, thats something

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

updated the op. tyvm sub-actuality for the sick new borders

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

oh wat
why did the movie get revealed in advance :negative:

it got revealed on monday and came out on tuesday in the last thread...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i just put th movie out early to let people know. idk i guess we could go back to revealin it on mondays start on tuesdays. i switched to rollin fridays to give people a couple days to respond/figure out a pick nd for me to put a post together mostly

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

nope, welcome abord

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

:siren: hell or high water has officially started :siren:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

thanks for running another round of this. last one got me watching more movies than i have in a long-rear end time and that ruled

np, its been a lot of fun

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hell or High Water

really liked it. fuckin love a good western, fuckin love a movie about th death of the west and the little man fightin back, fuckin love a heist movie. lot of good actors playin shitkickers in this in a good way, loved chris pines and ben foster bantering like dipshit brothers. jeff bridges pickin on his partner could be rou8gh but its cool that they played genuine affection under there nd his reaction when alberto died was perfect. its definitely not a perfect movie, you cn see the strings on the plot too often for it to feel seamless like a 4 star movie is, but hell its really fuckin good and i enjoyed it a lot. good pick chuck.

★★★ ½

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh favorite scene: jeff bridges and the cowboy who was racin a brush fire to the river. really good poo poo there.

rollin for next pick in a minute btw.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf bot gimme your pick by sunday

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 9, 2024

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

also the diner scene where the guy goes "seems foolish. time's passed where you can rob a bank and live to spend the money" i felt like he was staring right at the camera lol

loil yeah. thats definitely one of th themes, the old west is dead and the banks win in the end

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

"the banks are just like the white people stealing land from the native Americans" was a touch too on the nose as well lol

lol yup

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

CONAN THE BARBARIAN
Courtesy of elf help book

A young boy, Conan, becomes a slave after his parents are killed and tribe destroyed by a savage warlord and sorcerer, Thulsa Doom. When he grows up he becomes a fearless, invincible fighter. Set free, he plots revenge against Thulsa Doom.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdYd_RdLCQ

Director: John Milius
Writer: Robert E. Howard, John Milius, Oliver Stone
Stars: Robert E. Howard John Milius Oliver Stone

Available On: Amazon Prime

Available From: 2/12

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 12, 2024

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ps i'm changin the times movies run, now they'll run monday to two sundays later. feels more logical. i'll announce em when the picker gets their pick to me, then it starts thr followin monday

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

Not sure I’ve seen Conan all the way through in one sitting, so hell yeah.

oh dude. buckle up

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

CONAN STARTED ABOUT 9 HOURS AGO BTW

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

conan ftw. the move where rolls and chucks the witch into the fire always kills me.

for me its the camel punch. simple tastes.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

Wow, I didn't know that movie was that long. 😂 😂

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Spoderman posted:

oh hey can i still sign up for this?

added to the list

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

god conan rules. full review forthcoming. also i'm wicked busy this weekend so i'm gonna roll for next week now, hell or high water runs through sunday and the new flick starts monday

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Conan the Barbarian

godlike. incredible sets, incredible costumes, absolutely unbelievable soundtrack. so many fuckin kickass monologues. even lovely actor-type arnie is perfect. the action scenes are amazing, subotai fuckin rules (literally a california surfer they picked up, hes got like four movie credits lmfao), bringin in james earl jones and max von sydow to teach arnie, sandahl bergman, and subotai to act was th smartest thing they couldve done. every single scene with either of em is pure electricity, thulsa doom's big monologue is one of the best in movies and so is the scene with king osric. if i could nitpick anything i wouldnt bother because the movies perfect 100%. i could watch it ten times a week nd never get bored.

★★★★

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

WHEELS ON MEALS
Courtesy of Sub-Actuality

Two Chinese friends, who operate a food truck in Barcelona, Spain, use their martial arts expertise to help their private investigator friend protect the pickpocket Sylvia, who's been targeted by a ruthless gang.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvVrNI_WuNo

Director: Sammo Kam-Bo Hung
Writer: Edward Tang, Gwing-Gai Lee, David Tadman
Stars: Edward Tang, Gwing-Gai Lee, David Tadman

Available On: Plex, Freevee

Available From: 2/19

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

after my pick last year i started making a list of possible picks, but on getting drawn last week and looking them up they all had poo poo streaming options.

worst of all was Sleuth, an absolute classic, both lead actors nominated for Best Actor for the movie. and i see this, not even for rent anywhere, no newer home release than a dvd

I looked it up and apparently the film is now owned by Bristol Myers Squibb, the pharmaceutical company lol

lmao. all entertainment and streaming company executives should be beaten with bamboo cane