Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
in it to win it
hell or high water 8.5/10 amazing character interactions that justify a watch on their own but the score and cinematography is by the numbers

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
so hell or high water that shits pretty good

had a couple drinks while watching it so lets see how good this review is lmfao

uhhh so first and foremost i gotta say i didnt expect hank schrader and steven gomez to appear in this film lol but they totally do its the same dynamic but its pretty classic and good

but yeah this is a very character driven film, the action is pretty sparse but when somebody gets shot in the head they REALLY get shot in the head lol it gets pretty graphic considering how little blood there is throughout most of the movie

but goddamn the brothers in this film are gold love them love their backstories love their motivations love how they give each other poo poo how they even have a little brotherly tussle its just so good reminds me of the old days when i used to live with my sibling

and the old lady at the loving restaurant being super aggro on them and telling them what theyre going to eat essentially

no idea what its like in texas but i think i have a decent idea now

a hellhole to me but probably paradise to the people that live there i cant imagine the balls it would take to rob a bank in a place where everyone is packing

idk what else to say, the main critiques i have is the soundtrack is pretty unmemorable and there isnt any cinematography that blew my hat off but its all Acceptable so its not like bad or anything

think im going to give hell or high water an 8.5/10

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
kind of busy but ill write some things about conan but not all the things

i thought it was pretty funny plenty of levity in the film for how much death and destruction follows the barbarian and i especially liked the ending where james earl jones spells out for conan that his whole life is based on revenge and if he takes it he will be rudderless without him and conan looks like he thinks about it for a second and then straight up beheads him and throws his heads down the step lol i think he was preaching to the wrong choir here

also the cult of doom being a bunch of gay fairy pinko commie scum made me laugh a lot too the movie trashes hippies with glee

but yeah as for things i didnt like id actually say a majority of the acting, the usurper king was good and so was james earl jones despite being an ill fitting villain lead

i also didnt like how the hammer underling illustrates his strength with his weapon by knocking down a pillar then hits conan upside the head and conan shrugs it off

it shouldnt have built that up if the payoff was going to be so limpwristed

that said the deaths were otherwise pretty cool and well deserved

giving this a strong 7.5/10 not amazing or even all that great but it was very good

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
wheels on meals was really cool there was a lot of great comedy and karate and i liked it overall a lot

things i liked:

getting jumpscared at the bulldozer scene that actually freaked me out how sudden that punch was

the baseball bat crack to the head that shocked me a bit with how violent it was

again, every scene with karate in it kicked so much rear end people were bouncing off walls into full body tackles and throwing some weighty punches and going all in

a handful of moments made me genuinely laugh but most of it was sensible chuckling which is fine i think thats just a cultural difference in humor

the two henchmen under the main villain had the best scenes in the whole movie its nice to see the ol Second In Commands get their chance to shine in the spotlight

the score was cool but i have a nitpick ill get into next

things i didnt like:

some of the cooler songs were used more as stings than full songs and couldve been allowed to play longer and develop there was some cool synth tracks that played for two bars and then got cut off suddenly when i was grooving

the main villain out of the three climatic battles had the least interesting fight and it was also cut too short

also i noticed at one point david i believe picked up a knife from the table with what seemed like the intention of using it but the next scene the knife was gone, editing mistake i think call me out on that if im wrong though

sometimes the non-karate scenes that werent funny made the movie drag on a little but they were worth waiting through

total score: 8/10 really good kung fu with some pacing issues and for a comedy action flick the comedy was just okay through most of it
i liked the characters and acting in this one though theyre all hams good stuff

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 21, 2024

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fungah! posted:

interest check btw in a special movie club simulwatch of freddy got fingered when it goes on the criterion channel next month. interested?

its one of my favorite movies hell yes

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
okay so i will start ths posdt with with that im really really drunkl

holy poo poo is m a great movie

man i cant write about it without spoilers so here we go

fist and formos of all i have to sat that the STREET JUSTICE
of this focking movie is so loving good gently caress thiss stupid loving pedophioe killer sack of poo poo gently caress HIM TO DEATH\

this movie tries to mkaer him out as asymphaththic killer but gently caress HIM gently caress PETER LORREE gently caress YOU YOU KILLED KIDS DIE MOTHERFUCKER!!!! DIOE DIE DIE DI!!!!!!

so yeah in short uhhh
goood movie but fuick peter loreew lol

hes a dick and he killed kids and morew too

9/10
drunk rating
gently caress you gently caress you fgukc you

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Nostradingus posted:

lmao. drunk reviews should be mandatory here

STILL DRUNK
but ill say this
so many of the shots are so good
like uhhh
the uh
well one i can name off the top of my head is when one of the speakeasy people are looking for escape in the resulting police raid
the guy looking up through his secret hideyhole and seeing the boots of a policeman in the grating up above him so good

and then at the beginning when the lady is looking for her missing daughter first off the anxitety is PALPABLE
but also the shots of the staircase looking down offer such a d espondant and futile outlook that you know her daughter has been tied up with the killer
its so hosed up
this movie is so hosed up\
but thats what makes it good

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fucker posted:

M

hmm... time to be the contrarian :frogbon:
i think the movie looks real nice and has cool rear end shots
was having a good time w/ the movie in the first hour or so, but it really lost me halfway through when it started being done from the perspective of the killer and the ppl going after him. kind of reminds me of le samourai in that way but this is a much worse drop off than that was
the office search dragged on for too long
i just lost all interest in when the cops were interrogating that mafia dude for some reason
also, is it just me or is the movie trying to get me to kind of symphatize/emphatize w/ the child killer? idk, it felt like it was trying hard to do it w/ all the ACTING going on and him being the victim of mob justice w/ a bunch of no good criminals but it didnt succeed at all so it was just verily awkward
the finale doesnt resonate w/ me at all and the very ending w/ the womans message made me roll my eyes, sry. guess i dont live in the context that makes me see this as a masterpiece
score might be a bit harsh. i dont think the movie is terrible and its interesting, but the whole last hour of the movie had me in apathy.
2/5

its more about street justice vs due process during the faux court hearing

its about how people feel vs the ridgity of law and how the law doesnt always serve the people more than trying to paint a child murderer in a positive light

that was my takeaway as somebody who was interested in the movie the whole way through as inebriated as i was :santahurr:

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fungah! posted:

i think he absolutely was tryin to make you feel sympathy for beckert, but its so that you cn realize you're doing it and feel horrified. this isnt a good guy but hes very very sick and his lawyers not wrong that he shouldnt get torn apart by this filthy angry mob, but then you remember he butchered eight kids. fuckin cool trick tbh

i didnt feel any sympathy for him seems like a skill issue :santahurr:

but uh you underlined my point with the last half of your post that the fact that he is insane and unable to control himself holds no water when the community and families of the victims are your judge jury and executioner

the whole scene is pretty much saying that the real court system is flawed and WOULD allow a defense to paint the defendant in a sympathetic light(or at least attempt it lol looks like it worked on you suckers!) and try for an insanity plea but that wouldnt make the mothers of the slain children feel any better nor would it heal the damage caused to community

especially when he could later be released after serving his term or possibly even less if defined as "cured" by his doctors to potentially do it all again

i guess i see it more as a failed attempt to garner sympathy and not a sincere one and i dont think the scene is trying too hard to make the serial killer look good the defense is trying its rear end off to get him off the hook or at least survive to go into a real court

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i guess my tl;dr is while attempts at sympathy are utilized i dont think its the directors intention to make the audience feel sympathy as the POINT of the whole scene

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
nobody shouldve gotten filtered by forbidden zone its just an objectively amazing movie

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i was kind of nervous to rewatch big trouble in little china because i was worried some of the magic of my first watch would be lost but nope it still rocks

still has some hilarious scenes, the ending is like a cartoon with the over the top action and slapstick humor jack shooting the ceiling and knocking himself out first thing of the big final confrontation kills me to this day

its just a really imaginative movie with a lot of creative effects and shots and characters and even the story manages to throw some curve balls by dodging tropes such as "nope" to the goodbye kiss or the main villain dying before his underlings

soundtrack is baller too you really cant go wrong

even though this is actually one of my least favorite carpenter movies he sets the bar so high this still gets a 9/10 from me

john carpenters vampires is my most least favorite so far so please dont pick it movie club

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
bad boy bubby

at first i wasnt sold on this because the first 30 or so minutes seemed more gratuitous than clever or all that interesting but it does set up the rest of the movie very well

its interesting watching somebody who is 95% conditioned from an isolationist life with his incestuous mother go out and fill that last 5% up with learned behavior from society at large

and its nice to see somebody who had most of their life taken away from them by their mother go out and take it back and make something for themselves

there were points were i was horrified at the beginning at what was happening, but eventually the movie actually softens and offers a more compassionate view and i think that really hit me when bubby first gets up and sings

thats the exact point in the movie theres a tonal shift that redeems a lot of the horrid garbage i had to sit through almost completely

i was strongly emotionally touched by this movie and i think i ended up loving it to an extent

its pretty loving good 9.5/10

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
riki-oh was pretty good, but i wasnt overly wowed by it either

the sheer comical nature of the violence was usually amazing, you gotta love practical effects and using like dolls stuffed with m80s and red dye that they switch out right before a big kill

lik wong's girlfriend jumping off the building actually made me laugh, but there were some amused chuckles at other low budget death scenes too

that said the fight scenes were barely that, maybe im a bit spoiled coming off of wheels on meals but beyond the gory special effects they werent really that interesting

and the story was barely there, like yeah he had that underlying motivation throughout the whole movie but for the most part it just seemed a little formulaic at times

you killed this person who was nice to me, now die!

it was high octane brainless fun though so im not going to be too overly cruel while scoring it or anything, i try to be open minded with the movie club and see where the film was coming from and rate it based on how successful it was in that

so id give it an 8/10 overall i think, the sets were boring(yes i know a prison isnt going to be the most interesting scenery, the shots still felt flat to me though), the story was flimsy, but the action was at 110% almost the entire way through so i have to give it props for that

oh and i forgot to mention it but the character designs were very cool and betray this movies manga origins but this is no detriment it was a lot easier to follow the plot when i could tell people apart with their unique looks

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 21, 2024

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
never seen it but ive seen the one at the house and the one at the mall

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
I LOVE BUB AND DAY OF THE DEAD
10/10

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
who doesnt

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

trying to jack off posted:

this thing is a sham!

this is such loving bullshit

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Bicyclops posted:

it's written by Armando Iannucci so it might be good anyways. i don't get hulu though. enjoy.

ive seen it its good alan patridge is a very funny character on par with jiminy glick

you could rent it on amazon if you wanted id suggest it

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
oh you can also do a 7 day free trial of magnolia selects and watch it for free

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
alan partridge alpha papa

really funny movie, not outrageously funny the whole way through like some comedies can be but it microdoses you with little laughs peppered throughout that culminate in big laughs

its really well paced with the comedic bits though so you never feel like the movie is dull even if the funniest moments are sparse

as far as comedies go its not my favorite but im glad i rewatched because i think there were some jokes that whizzed by me my first viewing that i only caught this time and it made it even more enjoyable

otherwise yeah simple premise nothing we havent seen before with like airheads but the performances are spot on

going to give this a 7.5/10 as a comedy because again not gut busting the whole way through but a fully enjoyable ride with some fun characters and thoroughly solid jokes with a few standout moments where i did laugh my hardest

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
huh

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fungah! posted:

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
Courtesy of symbolic

A continuation of the story told in the Daft Punk music videos "One More Time," "Aerodynamic," "Digital Love," and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger."

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqbSaOw0TvE

Director: Daisuke Nishio, Hirotoshi Rissen, Leiji Matsumoto
Writer: Thomas Bangalter, Cédric Hervet, Guy-Manuel De Homem-Christo
Stars: Romanthony, Thomas Bangalter

Available On: YouTube (https://youtu.be/2dGXazgbdhE), Archive.org (https://archive.org/details/interstela5555)

Available From: 4/15 - 4/29

sick pick i just listened to all the daft punk albums at work the other day and was sort of feeling like watching this on my own soon anyway

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
parenthood is interesting, usually movies are for escapism but its probably the realest movie ever made at least in terms of well parenthood lol

i liked the grandmothers little speech at the end, its a pretty inspiring movie, lots of little messages about compromise and overcoming insecurities and all sorts of good stuff

maybe i should ride the rollercoaster more meself sometimes and get off the ol merry-go-round

id say the only things that hold the movie back are some of the plot lines are a little whatever, i didnt super care for the single mother one it seemed a little too on the nose and boring, that said she was pretty funny and had some good lines

the rick moranis one was kind of played out too, same with the moocher son

movie couldve used more focus i think and trimmed the fat and been better for it but i guess its still fun to see all the different perspectives on parenting even if it muddles the overall film with some stereotypes that dont actually reflect real life too well

7.5/10

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

herculon posted:

I'm not watching another movie on archive.org

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/amzn1.dv.gti.bab3b0ab-f2bb-a8ed-4ea0-673601be6e93?autoplay=0&ref_=atv_cf_strg_wb

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

herculon posted:

I ain't paying for this

anyway interstella 5555 review coming very soon

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
interstella 5555

ive listened to daft punk intermittently throughout my years but never watched this movie before and its really cool

theres a lot of psychedelic imagery and fantastical visuals both on the alien planet and earth, its all lit up and colorful and almost assaults the eyes with its vividness if it wasnt so interesting to look at

character designs are cool but i feel bad for the black one that gets tased and then people see that and put on blue face on the streets seems a little insensitive lol

the animation is usually just OKAY and sometimes it feels too sped up for its own good, i get they are trying to match the kinetic energy of the music but at certain points its almost comical, like at the beginning when the blonde guitarist is running away from the masked dudes, almost gives me a benny hill vibe at times

id say i overall liked the film a lot but im going to have to dock a further point because the music is so good but i couldnt find an ost for it

8/10

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol newly divorced dad FB post

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Roth posted:

This review on Letterboxd for the movie predicted Starbarry picking this lol

lol :santahurr:

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

When I was about 15 years old, I accidentally slammed my fingers in a car door in my parents' garage. My mom had already walked into the house before I even left the car, so nobody saw it happen. My entire hand was trapped in the car door, which was fully closed and locked, and three of my fingers were crushed under the frame. The pain was excruciating. I yelled of course, but because of the soundproofing in the walls, nobody heard me at first. Trying to pull my hand out was pointless and only hurt more, and I had no keys so I couldn't open the door. I started to realize that nobody was going to help me, at least not right away, and that I was probably going to be stuck there for a while. I stood there for what felt like forever, in overwhelming pain the entire time, shouting for help at intervals and probably sounding more and more desperate.

I remember wondering to myself at some point if maybe my nervous system would adapt to the pain after a few minutes, or if my hand might go numb or start to hurt less. But no, the entire time I was stuck, I was in constant agony, and at no point did it let up even a little. In fact as time went on and I got more and more frustrated, the pain intensified. By the time my mom finally heard my shouting and came to help, I felt like I was going to be trapped there forever. When I think back on this I realize that I don't really remember the initial injury or how much it hurt, I just remember how endless the experience felt. The pain was intense, but the exasperation of being confined somewhere with absolutely no way out was the thing that got to me, and that made the brief time I was stuck feel like hours. Dirty Duck (1974) has a runtime of 75 minutes.
0/5 vhs tapes

i cant say im sorry because it made this post lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Sub-Actuality posted:

yoko ono's head is sticking out of a toilet and the duck tells her to shut up. this is "the funniest line in the movie"

i like how the arrow points at johns head when he pops out first then when yokos out the john arrow points at the toilet because a toilet is a john!

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
watch it with your wife

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Bicyclops posted:

Down and Dirty Duck
despite what the trolls would have you believe, i started joining in with Day of the Dead, as my posts directly indicate, and have only skipped one movie because i didn't want to pay for it, so i watched this.

I actually think Fungah's right that the animation itself being all done by one guy is sort of impressive - the art isn't bad for low budget animation! - and i think a lot of the music was okay. for how atrocious it is, it also seems a little kinder to gay people than it could have been, or at least just about as cruel to them as it is to straight people? also, i will say the duck himself seems to sort of cheerfully try to make everyone feel better about being in this hosed up cartoon, just kind of Philip J Frying their way through an absolutely terrible situation. still, as much as i have no quibbles with people drawing tits and dicks on their own time, i have some minor quibbles with this film. i'm not spoiling anything because everyone should understand what they're going to suffer through if they watch this:

• When I was sixteen years old, for various reasons, I suddenly was in charge of a 30-person improv troupe that consisted of kids ages 12 - 18. I had to make sure that all of them were included in a show, keep them from being horny at each other (failed) and keep them from self-harm (failed). Nothing that we ever did was as aggressively unfunny as this film is. The parody of the Wizard of Oz that I wrote and directed was funnier than this.
  • GBS may actually be funnier than this movie.
  • It contains a copious amount of sexual assault.
  • gently caress you, Starberry Clock.
  • I am 100 percent sure I could do the voice acting for this film better than basically all of its voice actors.
  • The word "caca" is used often, once in a sentence with the words "Daddy" and "Grandma."
  • Most of the main characters appear to be doing a bad imitation of Shaggy from Scooby-Doo.
  • None of the sex depicted is sexy. I mentioned the Pink Floyd flower loving scene earlier and that scene is somehow more pleasant than any single scene in this film.
  • The recording for the voice acting is tinny and terrible in a way that even other animation of its time is not. In fact the sound quality in general feels like a much more unpleasant, weaponized version of that "Powers of 10" video from the 70s.
  • God is dead. The world is simple, miserable, solid all the way through. There is no hope.
  • This is way after the sexual revolution and there are a ton of films that address sex, taboo sex, LGBTQA sex, etc. in a much more poignant and meaningful way, and that seems to be all the film has going for it besides style which, as discussed...
  • It being filmed and acted like its an extended part of the Sesame Street magazine format makes it disgusting, not funny. The sequence with song about sexual positions where a fleshy set of numbers inside of an rear end in a top hat/taint turn into a rudimentary dick and jump into the headless woman's pussy, reusing most of the animation, is particularly atrocious. I hate everyone, and myself, right now!
  • I have had to read The Cat and Hat Came Back approximately 20 times over the past three days, doing the same voice I did the first time that I read it, unwisely, making my throat sore because I tried to make Little Cat C sound like Danny Devito, and I would rather do it 100 more times than watch the scene detailed above once.
  • R. Crumb should have been castrated before he ever got into cartooning. Art Spiegelman still would have done his thing, it's fine. The woman without a head whose stomach is a pair of lips is definitely straight out of his playbook.
  • Seriously, gently caress you, Star!!
  • Whenever they have to pan or zoom the movement jolts in an extremely nauseating way.
  • Every character in the film is unaccountably miserable for an abstract sex "comedy."
  • It seems to believe it's some kind of deep, artistic masterpiece.
  • No amount of drugs can improve this movie, but it did make me drink a large portion of the whiskey I was gifted from work yesterday.
  • The weird Monty Python-esque way of having real photo elements is somehow also extremely, uniquely nauseating. A lot of them seem to be doing the Van Italie "mocking commercialism" thing, but in a way that was already old in the early 1960s.
  • The part of the movie I identified most was when the duck suddenly looks really, incredibly sad and says "You call this doing?" It's like he's talking to the flimmakers, begging them to reconsider their lives.
  • When the pussy tank cannon obliterated the horny police officer (after he had blown a hole in the Mexican stereotype's head and screeched slurs at him) and said "Send my balls to the museum," and then the cannon's pussy mouth misquoted Humphrey Bogart in a bad imitation of him, I hit my hand against my desk hard enough that I hurt my fingers.
  • gently caress YOU!!!

if i have to summarize how this film made me feel, one of my friends in high school was this visual artist with some real talent, who took her own life when she didn't get into harvard. it was particularly upsetting because she asked for help, was actually in the hospital when it happened, but wasn't monitored closely enough. my school reassigned her locker without erasing all the kind memorials we had written on it in indelible marker. the person who got the new locker started crying while i was walking by her, realizing what had happened, saying "They gave me the dead girl's locker! I got the dead girl's locker!" her friends sort of turned away from her and i thought about staying to help her, then walked away, because she'd said "the dead girl" instead of my friend's name. she didn't show up the next day and i was very upset about it, it felt like something i directly could have controlled by chose not to, but somehow i didn't exactly feel guilty, just a sort of crushing sense of despair about the way people treat art, and each other. that there was no way i could have known it was the wrong decision.

do not watch this movie.

this post is more psychotic than the movie

do not read this review

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
yeah thats fine but why did you talk about a high school suicide? it feels like sub-actualitys car door trauma posting where you try to equate a movie to a horrible life event but needlessly darker and way less funny lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
seems a little nutso to me but when i post my review on the 4th i expect my interpretation of the film to be seen as pretty out there too

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
just to make sure you do know that crumb didnt make this movie right also no offense by the gently caress yous they made me laugh

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

herculon posted:

Also, sorry to hear about your friend from high school

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
ive been convinced to post my review a little earlier than i was planning so buckle in we are going for a wild ride

so i want to start off with that i think the smutty cheap sex joke ladled part of the movie is indeed the weakest part but i also feel its a smokescreen for a brilliant narrative

its all tongue in cheek, its clear that the movie sets out to be hyper offensive from the start when a guy motorboats a flowers tits and plops a turd in the toilet then keyfucks his car

theres also the song that calls the film cheap and a great big hunk of poo poo at the outset

and its there for the entire length of the movie, this never goes away, but even though this seems over the top and unnecessary, i think it does add to the film ultimately and ill be explaining why shortly

i feel this is a journey of self-actualization for willard

he was both horny and impotent, sex crazed but resentful of who he is, strung-out from his negative self-image and feelings of worthlessness in every aspect of his life

he lives in a dingy flat, cant get his car to start, missed the bus because somebody more self-assured was asserting himself on a lady in the doorway, screwed up his chance with the girl of his dreams which he refuses to admit is anything more than his regressive libidos overt desires

pretty much, the guy loving sucks. and his approach to life blows. and he hates himself.

Enter(eventually literally) The Duck

this is where i get a little heady, because the duck is the only anthropomorphic character in the whole film. he stands out. He Means Something. and what i think the duck is... is an avatar of willards ideal way of being

the duck hangs loose, doesnt let things become a drag, goes with the flow, does everything to prop up willard from the depths of his misery, the duck is everything that willard wishes he could do but cant because of his own mental barriers that limit his success in life

and i think when you realize that, certain events make more sense

im going to skip to the ending for a moment to clear this up before i reverse course and talk more about what The Locations mean

so after not getting laid the whole film and crashing and burning, willard returns home, defeated, and regresses back into his masturbatory habits, essentially giving up

but the duck doesnt give up, and after devouring the seemingly last method of satisfaction willard can achieve in his miserable life, becomes female in the process

this is reference by a "you are what you eat" throwaway joke about eating the pussycat, but i think eating the sex doll contraption is what really locked in the duck as a girl

and if you take the duck as an extension of willards potential, willard then having sex with her, Becoming One with her, is actually willard finally loving getting it after getting his dick kicked in the entire movie

being ruled by your primal desires only sets up an unrealistic expectation of yourself, but all he really needed was to love himself to give him the confidence that he so desperately needed in his life

its a simple story of self-acceptance, but done exceedingly well through a veil of irony laden sexual, racist, homophobic verbiage and surrealistic imagery and psychedelic visuals

you just need to brush all that aside to see what the film is really trying to say, at least in my opinion

also about the locations, ill just briefly go over this since ive already written so much

the prison is how willard sees his life, the whorehouse is willard confronting the crux of his sexual inadequacies and where all the lust takes him, which is then the desert, a barren land of no direction, he feels listless there and questions what hes doing and why hes doing them and wonders if hes going crazy at this point because

without love, passion is pointless. you have to love yourself before you can love others

glad he figures that out :santahurr:

anyway thats what i think about the film, its not overly complicated or deep but it spoke to me when i watched it and i thought it was very touching, its nice to see a loser like willard figure out whats really important

also, i love the art, background images, music, some of the humor(but not all, i dont see it as a pure comedy though so that doesnt really matter as much to me), even the story as convoluted and cluttered with vulgarity and nonsense as it is

thats life baby

10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fucker posted:

u made two different people remember painful moments of their lives by asking them to watch this horrible movie and now ur trying to make one of them feel bad for it

yeah its pretty funny that a movie about loving a duck can do that