Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
lets fkn gooo

Human Desire - 2/5
Hell or High Water - 3/5
Conan the Barbarian - 3/5
Wheels on Meals - 3/5
M - 2/5
Big Trouble in Little China - 4/5
Freddie Got Fingered - 1/5 :shepicide:
Bad Boy Bubby - 4/5
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky - 2/5
Day of the Dead - 4/5
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - 3/5
Parenthood - 4/5
Interstella 5555 - 3/5
The Third Man - 3/5
Duel to the Death - 2/5
UHF - 2/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Hell or High Water
good movie. its lacking something that makes it feel great or special, but idk wat
good writing, good acting, good directing
just a nice western to watch
3/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

symbolic posted:

Fucker...

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
oh wat
why did the movie get revealed in advance :negative:

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i thought the change of rolls to fridays was exactly so we could watch the movie on the weekends and review it then Lol :doh:

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Conan the Barbarian

wasnt expecting this movie to take itself so seriously, but it owns
the really pretty shots and the insanely epic soundtrack carry this bad boy
watching this reminded me of when i watched secret of nimh, cause this is just not the kind of soul your allowed to see in cinema anymore. its the kind of soul that was already dead even b4 capeshit started dominating.
3/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i remembered reading once that the soundtrack from those zelda trailers came from somewhere else. finally got to see from where
in hindsight, the zelda trailers did not do this justice Lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Wheels on Meals

heard a lame rear end english dub and restarted the movie w/ the original audio, only to realize that now the soundtrack was worse and the dubbing was still hella obvious. old other country movie dubbing ftl :rant:
humor didnt do much 4 me tbh. there were a couple of laughs but the movie misses way more often than it hits.
i liked the two main guys as characters and their dynamic. fat guy was ok. its a cool concept w/ their food truck in spain but it also just feels like a lot of ideas thrown at the wall w/o rhyme or reason.
really, the thing i liked ab this movie was the action, the things that stuck out 2 me are
-opening montage
-skateboard uber jackie
-jackie chan dropkicking a mf off a bike
-some parts of the big food truck chase like when drive they into the oranges
-the whole castle ending, infiltration and fights, especially the one jackie chan has w/ that weird looking dude
went to look back at the movie and theres so much frigging filler. but im not gonna poo poo on it 2 much cause the stunts were cool as hell and i know for a fact they didnt use cgi for them, so im satisfied
3/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Martman posted:

gonna watch WoM tonight, i always love this bit of trivia about it:

Lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Sub-Actuality posted:

becomes Chinese and a foot shorter when he puts on the fencing mask

lol i noticed that too and its weird cause i could swear sometimes in the middle of the fight it actually is the spanish dude, but then they have this shot where its just him standing around menacingly and its the chinese guy. wtf

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
M

hmm... time to be the contrarian :frogbon:
i think the movie looks real nice and has cool rear end shots
was having a good time w/ the movie in the first hour or so, but it really lost me halfway through when it started being done from the perspective of the killer and the ppl going after him. kind of reminds me of le samourai in that way but this is a much worse drop off than that was
the office search dragged on for too long
i just lost all interest in when the cops were interrogating that mafia dude for some reason
also, is it just me or is the movie trying to get me to kind of symphatize/emphatize w/ the child killer? idk, it felt like it was trying hard to do it w/ all the ACTING going on and him being the victim of mob justice w/ a bunch of no good criminals but it didnt succeed at all so it was just verily awkward
the finale doesnt resonate w/ me at all and the very ending w/ the womans message made me roll my eyes, sry. guess i dont live in the context that makes me see this as a masterpiece
score might be a bit harsh. i dont think the movie is terrible and its interesting, but the whole last hour of the movie had me in apathy.
2/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
im all for more movies of this type being picked. i just didnt like this one

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i lost interest for some reason

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
yeah, a real piece of poo poo

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Big Trouble in Little China

john carpenter does not miss
cheesy acting but in a good way, great special effects, some rly good comedy here and there and just a pretty sick movie in general
the best gag is just how little kurt russell does in the entire movie. hes rly the secret lovable funny sidekick instead of the main character. the actual main characters are his friend wang and the old magic man
tbh the rating im giving it is not so much from this time i watched it, but from when i watched it the first time. the movie is much more effective when u go in having no idea what its ab besides it being an action movie set in chinatown. the plot is perfect chaos and it knows just when and how to escalate
4/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
oh ya and the soundtrack is perfect except for the credits theme Lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
And The Award For Most Depraved, Disturbing, Freakish, Revolting And Vile Movie Ever Picked For BBV Movie Club Goes To...

Bad Boy Bubby!!!

Sorry, Forbidden Zone, Freddie Got Fingered And Tommy. Better Luck Next Time!

neat trick of having it be as deranged as possible from the start and a lot of the time in general so that when it isnt, you feel like its giving you a break and letting you enjoy the more wholesome and not so bad aspects of life, like a bunch of stoners making fun of a mentally ill man, a 2 minute long nihilistic speech ab how god should be erased from existence and a guy loving a blowdoll for a concert performance. abusive relationship rear end movie. but it lets you off with a happy ending, at least
ashamed to admit that i laughed out loud a bunch of times. needed those laughs after i tried sitting through freddie got fingered
the best aspect of this movie is how... uuuuuuuh epic? it feels. it kept me guessing the whole way through and there were at least 4 times when i was like "lol alright, well done, bravo, what an ending to this" and then IT KEPT GOING. by the actual end it really felt like an insane journey. this felt like a 10 episode tv series but i mean that in a good way
i cant lie. this movie is brilliant
howemstever, im never recommending irl it to anyone ever because you need a certain level of mental illness to enjoy it and im not gonna publicize the fact i have it
4/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
yup

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky

yeah, even not knowing anything ab it going in, it was obvious 10 minutes in or so that it was adapting a manga
idk man, all i could think of while watching this was "the manga is probably p cool"
just doesnt translate to me like this
2/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Day of the Dead

i love this movie. its cliche atp but "men are the real monsters" is a way cooler part of zombie media than "look at how sick it is to see people being gored to death" is, and this movie delivers insanely epicly on the former... and the latter as well, more than any other zombie movie that comes to mind
honestly, the acting never really struck as cheesy 2 me. the way the movie shows how apocalyptic and hopeless the situation is, all the screaming and anger seems genuine and believable enough 4 me. and bub is believably dumb in a kinda cool way. the only character id consider cheesy in how over the top they are is dr frankenstein. very "im in a movie" character. but hes cool too
writing is awesome, tension is great, the movie does a great job at being exciting w/ very little action in the first half then delivering on the gore at the climax
some things i hate ab this movie:
1) its just not very scarey tbh
2) the cheap nightmare scenes arent scarey and are cheap and annoying. the first one w/ the hands in the walls is fine but get rid of the others and show how the escape at the end actually went
3) the mcs boyfriend is so fkn annoying. he ends up being so much less likeable than any1 else in the movie including all the military fuckers. all he does in the movie is be a bitch, a pussy and a hindrance and then he tries getting every1 killed. i get that its ab showing how ppl react to the stress, hardship and cabin fever of the apocalypse, but its like they made him the guy where they dump all bad stress related poo poo they dont want to give to the other chars and theres nothing else to him. the military villains actions make a lot of sense even if they make him an evil piece of poo poo. the boyfriend is just a plot device
idk if i like this more or less than night, but i def like both more than dawn. all good movies tho
4/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
this mf gonna hit us with johnny english

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i like when this thread has new posts

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

pretty funny
some good laughs
english accents are funny

3/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Parenthood

very nice, smart and earnest movie. good acting and writing. dont rly have much to say ab it other than if it this movie were a smilie, itd be :nsacloud:
4/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
"35 year old" man w/ a lame rear end job, 4 kids and a fkn mansion

gently caress you boomers

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
holy poo poo googling this movie and the grumpy kid is joaquin phoenix :stare:
already knew how to act back then

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fungah! posted:

DIRTY DUCK
Courtesy of starbarry clock

Mild-mannered insurance-adjuster Willard teams up with a foul-mouthed fowl who takes him on a surreal quest to become less uptight--and possibly get laid.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4QmA_EAgow

Director: Charles Swnson
Writer: Howard Kaylan, Robert Ridgeley, Charles Swenson
Stars: Howard Kaylan, Mark Volman, Robert Ridgeley

Available On: archive.org (https://archive.org/details/down-and-dirty-duck)

Available From: 4/22 - 5/5

Fucker Report
5.2 on imdb. forbidden zone got 6.5
only 2 audience reviews on rotten tomatoes, 1/5 and 2.5/5. forbidden zone got a 83% critic score and a 81% audience score
Dirty Duck

Forbidden Zone

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Interstella 5555

i like daft punk and i like anime, so i liked this. somehow the first time ive seen it but its cool
nice animation and ofc nice music
biggest problem of the movie is the same thing as the album its based on: too long sucks rear end, and the entire climax of the movie is that drat song. this joke has been made a million times, but it really is Too loving Long
best combos of cool visuals and sick music were aerodynamic, superheroes and something about us
3/5

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
gonna go to the adtrw recs thread cause im in need of new soulful anime. hope its not completely dead

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol newly divorced dad FB post

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Leadthumb posted:

Well i watched interstella 5555, let's see what the other pick is. Hmmm, that's weird, it seems like there's no second pick rn. I guess fungah's been too busy. Oh well, I'll just check back in on the 30th :)

symbolic posted:

glad the guy who's only watched Wheels on Meals in the past 4 months is here to tell it like it is

symbolic posted:

Dirty Duck

this is a movie that could've only been made in the 70s and only picked by starbarry

if Forbidden Zone was made by perverts for insane people, Dirty Duck was made by insane people for perverts. i was impressed by some of the surrealist imagery for 1974 and liked some of the music but otherwise it just varied between annoying and uncomfortable, and at occasional points low-qual enough that i actually couldn't make out what someone was saying. i want to try and say more but it all just kinda ended up blending together in a haze of sex jokes and cringing at Willard. i can appreciate something being irreverent and weirdly sort of progressive as a result but this just felt like too much too aggressively, and reminded me being unique doesn't automatically make something endearing

2/10

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

When I was about 15 years old, I accidentally slammed my fingers in a car door in my parents' garage. My mom had already walked into the house before I even left the car, so nobody saw it happen. My entire hand was trapped in the car door, which was fully closed and locked, and three of my fingers were crushed under the frame. The pain was excruciating. I yelled of course, but because of the soundproofing in the walls, nobody heard me at first. Trying to pull my hand out was pointless and only hurt more, and I had no keys so I couldn't open the door. I started to realize that nobody was going to help me, at least not right away, and that I was probably going to be stuck there for a while. I stood there for what felt like forever, in overwhelming pain the entire time, shouting for help at intervals and probably sounding more and more desperate.

I remember wondering to myself at some point if maybe my nervous system would adapt to the pain after a few minutes, or if my hand might go numb or start to hurt less. But no, the entire time I was stuck, I was in constant agony, and at no point did it let up even a little. In fact as time went on and I got more and more frustrated, the pain intensified. By the time my mom finally heard my shouting and came to help, I felt like I was going to be trapped there forever. When I think back on this I realize that I don't really remember the initial injury or how much it hurt, I just remember how endless the experience felt. The pain was intense, but the exasperation of being confined somewhere with absolutely no way out was the thing that got to me, and that made the brief time I was stuck feel like hours. Dirty Duck (1974) has a runtime of 75 minutes.
0/5 vhs tapes

lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

tmfc posted:

i started Dirty Duck and watched for what felt like a pretty long time and was certain that i was near the halfway point of the film but then i looked and it had only been 20 minutes. just finished the part where the protagonist pays a cocaine-addicted haberdasher to help him walk past black people on the subway.

lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

I read sub-actuality's review of Dirty Duck out loud to my wife and without knowing anything about the movie beforehand, she got extremely upset and begged me not to watch it. absolute God Tier content hidden in an unread portion of the forums lmao

listen to your wife

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
movie confirmed the failest poo poo ever

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

More like a first impression, but I feel like the duck was not as down & dirty as advertised!

Like, it threatens to be this kind of “Falling Down” story of a proto-incel (in 1974!) (like, did CBoyardee watch this?) before turning oddly wholesome as he literally gets in touch with his feminine side. Rather nice stuff from a typical unerotic 1970s sex comedy.

I’m honestly going to have to watch it twice, because there’s both such a density of often-contradictory information, and no clear entry point. Is it the pygmalion reference? The association of this ersatz Donald Duck with imagery of tattoos and tattooing? The implicit-but-unstated “good duck”/“good gently caress” joke? Alls I know so far is that the twist is great, and the collaged backgrounds are cool art-school stuff. Whoever made this was clearly trying.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
didnt read the whole thing but

Bicyclops posted:

• GBS may actually be funnier than this movie.
  • It contains a copious amount of sexual assault.
  • gently caress you, Starberry Clock.

Lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

starbarry clock posted:

yeah thats fine but why did you talk about a high school suicide? it feels like sub-actualitys car door trauma posting where you try to equate a movie to a horrible life event but needlessly darker and way less funny lol

u made two different people remember painful moments of their lives by asking them to watch this horrible movie and now ur trying to make one of them feel bad for it

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
lol elf help book is 2 for 2 in enjoying starbarrys movies
p epic ngl

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

rodbeard posted:

Did you watch this movie? You're either being way too charitable or stealing SMGs bit. Even if you're in to this kind of movie every joke in it was basically lifted straight from another cartoon seemingly without understanding the satirical nature of artists like Crumb or Bakshi use of racist imagery. I was fully prepared to defend this movie alongside you until I actually saw it.

its no bit

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
The Third Man

i guess they really loved 40 hour long chase sequences of villains being pursued by dozens of ppl back then. first m and now this
this movie was better than m, tho. also has great cinematography but the story is actually p drat good. kinda suspected the guy was gonna turn out to be alive at the start, but they threw me in for enough loops that i forgot i had ever predicted it when the big reveal happened
good movie
soundtrack got boring very fast
3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013