Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Conan the Barbarian: 6.5/10
Wheels on Meals: 8/10
M: 8.5/10
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa: 8/10
Interstella 5555: 9/10
Dirty Duck: 2/10

symbolic fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmao again

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fucker...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dungeon Meshi ftw, jumping the gun two days early ftl

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

copy posted:

thanks for running another round of this. last one got me watching more movies than i have in a long-rear end time and that ruled

this

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

lmao. all entertainment and streaming company executives should be beaten with bamboo cane

thusly

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

quote:

Wheels on Meals spawned the Spartan X franchise. In 1984, it was adapted into the video game Spartan X (released as Kung-Fu Master internationally), which laid the foundations for the beat 'em up genre of action games.

huh

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

anyways it's Conan time

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Conan the Barbarian

eh?

i'm going to chalk a good chunk of my feelings on the movie to not being into fantasy much at all and also having never seen it until now, but man it just never really clicked for me. on a technical level it was ambitiously impressive with the set designs, all the extras, the practical effects, etc. but when it actually came to the movie it just felt...lacking i guess? not sure how best to put it into words but though the actual combat was a good level of clumsy camp, everything outside of it left me wanting more since most of the time it's just stringing along from setpiece for a fight to setpiece for a fight. i don't remember who said it during Speed Racer that it felt like a live-action cartoon, but i got that same vibe from Conan but in a lot grittier, more low-budget way and it wasn't one i found myself adoring on the level of Speed Racer. James Earl Jones was fantastic and every line out of his mouth was gold, and i appreciate beefcake Arnie doing Arnie things but everyone outside of them wasn't particularly memorable, even Max von Sydow since he has like five minutes of screen time. the ending hit really well at least and there were a fair few funny bits i laughed at but most of the time the movie fell into a weird chasm for me where it's almost taking itself too seriously so it can become pure camp, but falls short because of being so straightforward so it's stuck in a weird limbo. i don't mean to be a stick in the mud cuz it's clear there's a lot of love for this movie in the thread but it really just didn't do much for me

was waffling on my final rating a lot before i ultimately asked myself if i'd watch the movie over again rather than some select scenes and that gave me my answer

6.5/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fucker posted:

the really pretty shots and the insanely epic soundtrack carry this bad boy

oh yeah there were a lot of good shots and moments with the score, although w/ the latter (and maybe it's just bias bc of when i was noticing it) it felt like there were a fair few number of moments that should've had a soundtrack moment but instead were just ambient noise and it kinda threw me off

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I got the tude now posted:

Yo ur rear end is pugged.

mad with power...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Wheels on Meals

very good stuff. everything that needed choreography was executed insanely well, from the kung-fu and fights to the car chase to the skateboarding tricks, just mesmerizing all around. the comedy half of the movie was typically good too, it's not often i laugh out loud at a movie multiple times but this one got me good. every scene at the insane asylum was pure gold, the extremely stilted night club dancing and Moby getting thrown off the van during the car chase were also great even if possibly unintentionally funny, and i actually had to pause the movie for a minute until i could stop laughing at Thomas and David both gleefully saying "no thank you!" to hooker sex and walking off arms-on-shoulders which i haven't had to do in a long while. it's hard to really judge the acting given it's a very clear quick dub, but having grown up with the perception of Jackie Chan as this goofy older guy with a saturday morning cartoon, it was honestly kind of nice to see him be equally goofy but also kind of a dickhead. the Freevee version i watched had subtitles based on that dub rather than the original dialogue so i'm kind of wondering how much i missed that was lost in translation.

wasn't perfect though, really wish the fencing fight was longer and some of the jokes fell flat, especially the nationality ones that felt mostly like cheap jabs without being all that funny. plot was also felt kind of messy despite being so straightforward, but in the end i wasn't watching it for the story anyways, just some good laughs and good action and there was definitely plenty of both.

8/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this looks kino drat

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

Meals on Wheels would bring my grandma food. Jackie Chan never showed up

who do you think made the food

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

btw anyone who watches this and hasnt seen police story, go watch police story right away, absolutely godlike movie in the same vein.

you got it boss

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

you got it boss

update: insanely good decision

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

M

great, great film. very suspenseful, and i almost want to call it gritty but that doesn't feel right. moreso seedy given it's pretty focused on the underbelly of the city for the entire runtime, even with regard to the police, which helps the feeling of the film overall being pretty chaotic which i think is exemplified by the scenes at the beginning of the general public trusting absolutely no one, and the cops acting in the exact same way. ditto for pretty much the entire final third of the movie, and especially the kangaroo court at the very end. i thought Peter Lorre was fine through most of the movie but him during that entire scene was terrifyingly riveting. need to shout out some of the cinematography too with the lingering still shots, and the audio for forsaking music in lieu of ambient noise or just straight-up dead silence cuz both end up making things feel even more uneasy and tense. all in all can definitely see why it's so well-regarded and influential, don't think i ever would've touched it otherwise were it not picked

8.5/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

what next movie

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fucker posted:

the office search dragged on for too long
i just lost all interest in when the cops were interrogating that mafia dude for some reason

yeah not sure why the cops would interrogate someone they found spelunking through the floor of a building with three unconscious watchmen and a bunch of busted locks

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

yeah that's 100% what happened w/ me when i was watching that scene, just that flashbang revelation of "he's so mentally hosed that he can't help it but he's still a horrible person, he's right that you can't ever know how it feels to be him but he still needs to go away forever." incredible scene from start to finish

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

maybe justification is a better term to use than sympathy, at least when comparing him to the kangaroo court of criminals. Beckert basically says as much during his monologue that the other criminals are just lazy, lookin for an easy way to make money, etc and while that's probably true for some of em but not all i think the intended effect was to make you stop for a minute and go "wait a minute he's right, they can help it but he can't." obvs don't want to give the brutal child murderer much credit but i think Lang did well enough to toe a line between Beckert being a one-dimensional bloodthirsty killer and making the audience shed tears for him

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

thank you for the endorsement Tarantino

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

trying to jack off posted:

its probably one of the best films of all time and i expect someone to get filtered

pretty sure the same was said of Forbidden Zone

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

starbarry clock posted:

nobody shouldve gotten filtered by forbidden zone its just an objectively amazing movie

you are a fucker and Atogatog is too

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i just watched bad boy bubby in the ideal conditions set by christopher nolan himself, on my phone in the back of a minivan with unstable internet while crossing the thai-cambodian border.

i havent seen it in a few years and its somehow even better. i first saw this movie through an ex who was the daughter of a bike club president and they would always quote this movie like it was a meme. she ranked white chicks as a top 5 film of all time, so i was expecting absolute trash and then got my mind loving blown. more people watch it now so i can discuss it :mad:

alright bro gently caress it it's 12:30 in the morning and i've been drinking/sleeping since 4:30 so i'm in ideal conditions too, will report back

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmfao already at the lead's only other notable role being one of the minor bad guys from the live-action Scooby-Doo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i forgot to mention my ex absolutely wanted to have sex during this movie, please keep that in mind for any further watches/rewatches lmfao

im 10 minutes in and that flag is so red it's crimson bro

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i just got to the the cat shrink wrap scene and if an ex wanted to bang to this movie i'd turn gay in a heartbeat what the gently caress

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i just realised symbolic never came back to this thread after being disgusted by my sex pervert ex girlfriend

that would be a funnier explanation than me just being either busy or out of town for the past two weeks. i had like half an hour left on Bubby but was also drunk and wasn't paying much attention and decided i should rewatch it from the beginning and never got around to it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this was probably my favorite scene from it, just a really good monologue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-nvweAVpqk

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

fair shoot herc lol :cheerdoge: anyways unrelated but mayhaps you'd like to talk about any anime you're currently watching in ADTRW...?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

Parenthood
Courtesy of Bicyclops

(use movieposterdb)

Four Buckman siblings attempt to raise their children - each in their own different style - and deal with the joys and sorrows that the process brings.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H25Fx7weFQ

Director: Ron Howard
Writer: Lowell Ganz, Babaloo Mandel, Ron Howard
Stars: Steve Martin, Mary Steenburgen, DIanne Wiest

Available On: Netflix

Available From: 4/8 - 4/22

thank you Bicyclops

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

i love wry British humor and this movie was prime for it. agreeing with there being a lot of sensible chuckles but i also had quite a few out-loud laughs: the exchange with the car driver Alan has trying to get to the police, the bit about Youtube videos, the angels joke about Pat's wife i can't quite remember enough of to quote, "I'll have to tell him there's a policeman who looks like him," and "awwww not again" when he shoots the JFK poster most notably i can remember. i also typically find comedies where the lead is brazenly incompetent hit-or-miss but i think Alan hits since Pat is equally stupid to bounce off and the comedy never really lets up for you to cringe at the times he fucks up. also have to give props to the soundtrack too, some really good cuts in there. overall, great stuff, and love it ending with a bit of a "where are they now?" spoof

i have no idea why i originally thought this was going to partly be a spy movie

8/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

tmfc posted:

also, this and Dragon Ball Z and Cowboy Bebop are pretty much all the anime anyone should ever need.

you are absolutely loving wrong

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Interstella 5555

i had like five different movies i wanted to pick from but in the end i went with Interstella for two reasons. one because it's a kickass example of Toei animation circa early 00s, but also, simultaneously introducing ppl to one of my favorite albums of all time if they haven't dipped beneath the popular cuts of it. if i made a list of my top 100 albums ever, i think the only two electronica albums on there would be Massive Attack's Mezzanine, and Discovery. it's just so groovy and so impactful throughout that even if Interstella loses steam through the back half i'm still jamming all the way to the end credits. rewinded to Better Harder Faster Stronger and Superheroes several times to vibe, but overall, awesome through and through, long live Daft Punk

9/10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

Neither the movie nor the album really need each other, and you could probably mute the movie and listen to anything really.

not knocking you but i disagree heavily, there's a lot of moments in the animation that coincide with cues in their respective songs (Superheroes most notably imo) and those moments wouldn't seems as resonant with no/other music

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

MORE EXISTENTIAL THAN HOWARD!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol newly divorced dad FB post

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

we dont need no giant robots, we dont need no bishy twinks