Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Lmao - Sub simply cannot stop posting absolute heat in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Been lurking this thread for a while, but for my first movie club review, I watched...

UHF (4 out of 5 stars)

Man, I loving love this movie. It's just as charming today as it was when I first saw it in the mid-90s. There are so many great bits, but I reference Spatula City, Wheel-of-Fish, "SUPPLIES!", and "you get to drink from the FIREHOSE" all the time. It's a simple riff on the classic 80s screwball comedy "stick it to the man" plot, but elevated by the amazing classic cinema parodies. And every aspect of the movie is just so dang charming, heartfelt, and good-natured that you can't help but love it. Also, a couple of genuinely good performances - Kevin McCarthy is playing the type to the hilt and leaves no scenery unchewed. Killer pick.

Also, huge ups to Fungah! for running this thing. Hoping I'll have time to watch Duel to the Death before the deadline.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Fungah! posted:

lemme know ify ou want on the list btw

Put me in coach

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

herculon posted:

You need to ask people what is their favorite independent animated movie before you add them to the list

Lmao, but also, it's Twice Upon a Time (1983)

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Duel to the Death (3.5 out of 5 stars)

This was super fun. Good plot, great main characters, and a couple of scenes with genuinely excellent fight choreography. It's a little wuxia-ier than I normally like in my kung-fu movies, but I think it's really fun here. Like, the movie starts with normal guys who get normal fight choreography, then almost immediately jumps the rails into goofy poo poo like ninja sorcery and sword masters who can fly, and ramps up from there (I genuinely laughed out loud at the ninja kites). Also, Kenji's death scene loving rules and the titular duel on the cliff is absolutely iconic.

I absolutely love this era of Hong Kong action cinema. This doesn't quite rise to the level of some of better Golden Harvest features or the Shaw Brothers classics, but it's still a blast. Great pick!