Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Hell or High Water - slight recommend
Conan the Barbarian - highly recommend
Wheels on Meals - easy recommend
Bad Boy Bubby - medium recommend
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky - solid recommend
Parenthood - slight not recommend
Interstella 5555 - recommend if you enjoy Daft Punk
Duel to the Death - ok recommend

herculon fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Can't wait to see Chuck's quadruple feature

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Someone else did my one job

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

hey, you got eugenes rereg killed, thats something

And I'll do it again, as long as you point them out to me

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

What would happen at Blockbuster if you returned a new release before it was released?

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Nostradingus posted:

Hell or High Water: I grew up in a lovely little Western town much like the ones in the movie and they felt very accurate to that experience. I appreciated that there was some nuance in the characters, nobody was heroic and nobody was totally in the wrong (except Texas Midlands Bank, those mother fuckers). Came to hate Jeff Bridges' character especially at the end, having met a bunch of racist idiot cowboy cops IRL. 4 stars

rodbeard posted:

1/5 hated it

2024 movie club already a land of contrast

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Hell yeah a good choice

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Hell or High Water seemed a bit generic to me. If you want a heist/western, this one checks all the boxes. Racist grandpa cop, partner who doesn't deserve anything that happens to him, maniac bank robber, sympathetic good intentions bank robber, banks are the real villains, only thing the movie was missing was the robbers being helped by natives/locals. Although I did enjoy the movie flips the script on that last one. I give this movie a slight recommend.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

lmao. all entertainment and streaming company executives should be beaten with bamboo cane

Yeah

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

symbolic posted:

mad with power...

He's all talk

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

interest check btw in a special movie club simulwatch of freddy got fingered when it goes on the criterion channel next month. interested?

March 1st at 12:00am est

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

That's not Freddy Got Fingered

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Meals on Wheels would bring my grandma food. Jackie Chan never showed up

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I've watched Conan a dozen times and this might be the first time I noticed it's co-written by Oliver Stone. Highly recommend this movie.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Wheels on Meals was really great. I've seen many Jackie Chan movies, but not this one. Movie Club ftw for finally getting me to watch it. Easy recommend.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Nice pivot

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

trying to jack off, and this movie isn't helping.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Bad Boy Bubby is an interesting film, I'll give it that. I found it odd how accepting most people were with Bubby, especially the lady in the pastry shop that just gives him a ride after he's basically mocking her. Speaking of, I did enjoy how Bubby mimics the mannerisms of everyone he meets for most of the film. Overall, I can only assume this story is perfectly normal for Adelaide and guys like Bubby are a 9. I give this film a medium recommend.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

trying to jack off posted:

they shot the entire movie in sequence so that nicholas hope could then accurately mimic then other actors' mannerisms in later scenes

Him mimicking hand movements and gestures while others were talking was a nice touch.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

STING 64 posted:

that reminds me of when my buddy invited his girlfriend to go to a wrestling show with us and she wound up having the necro butcher (this guy ) thrown over the guardrail onto her covered in blood and she never asked to go to wrestling with us ever again

Lol no reason to go to another show. Nothing will top that

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky is a wild ride. I've known about this movie, but this is my first time watching it. I watched the dubbed version because I didn't feel like reading, and I think that enhanced how outrageous this movie is. I don't know much about the manga, so I don't know if the manga takes itself seriously or was a Fist of the North Star parody. This movie does not take itself seriously and is a much better film for it. A solid recommend

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

MacheteZombie staying on brand. Gotta respect it

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

You can watch DotD today as it's supposed to start today. You can run the risk and watch Bubby before Fungah! updates the thread title. The return box stays unlocked until then

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Soul Plane

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

oh right I cn do this in here

Thanks

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

copy posted:

block struck back

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

It should not be this difficult to pick a movie. Don't overthink it

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

ok confirmed this ones on hulu. christ

Is it under the Hulu tab on Disney+?

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

symbolic posted:

fair shoot herc lol :cheerdoge: anyways unrelated but mayhaps you'd like to talk about any anime you're currently watching in ADTRW...?

I do want to check out those Makoto Shinkai films on the Criterion Channel

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Who invited Bicyclops?

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Well, this frees up my September 11, 2033

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Bicyclops posted:

actually GA couldn't make it. we're on hold until my "beat every NES game" project reaches Castlevania 2. you can rejoin if you apologize for making fun of my choosing the masterpiece in which a young Keanu Reaves mentors an even younger Joaquin Phoenix while Rick moranis plays the most hosed up character in his career.

I'm sorry, but I never apologize. Also, we already watched Streets of Fire

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

tmfc posted:

also, this and Dragon Ball Z and Cowboy Bebop are pretty much all the anime anyone should ever need.

Got any more hot takes?

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Parenthood

It's a fine film on, well, parenthood, and how most of us just want what's best for our kids. Which the film perfectly displays how anxiety riddled that can be. Frank thinking he can still save his youngest, Nathan trying to raise the perfect child, Helen struggling post divorce trying to raise two kids on her own who are also struggling without a second parental figure, Gil and Karen faced with the possibility of having a special needs child. Although pretty messed up how Gil's kid was going to be placed in special ed because he couldn't handle the pressure of nothing working out for him. Until he caught the fly ball and everything was better. Nice to see Ron giving Clint a job. Kind of bored with the movie overall, though.

This is a slight not recommend

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Interstella 5555

Part two of my work from home double feature. First time watching the movie, although I've seen a few of the music videos. I enjoy the animation and the album, but I'm having a hard time rating this. Neither the movie nor the album really need each other, and you could probably mute the movie and listen to anything really. However, both are enjoyable so I'll say it's a good movie.

Recommend if you enjoy Daft Punk

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

symbolic posted:

not knocking you but i disagree heavily, there's a lot of moments in the animation that coincide with cues in their respective songs (Superheroes most notably imo) and those moments wouldn't seems as resonant with no/other music

Well not any music, but when Short Circuit started I wanted to listen to Rockit instead

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I'm not watching another movie on archive.org

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I ain't paying for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

starbarry clock posted:

id say i overall liked the film a lot but im going to have to dock a further point because the music is so good but i couldnt find an ost for it

Keep looking. I believe in you