Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

1/5 hated it

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

"the banks are just like the white people stealing land from the native Americans" was a touch too on the nose as well lol

If I was being honest I think the movie is closer to a 3/5 for me and I knocked a couple points off because I'm biased and the director is a rich libertarian pretending to be a cowboy on a ranch that's literally 10 times the size of the reservation my Grandma grew up on.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I went in a different direction with my second pick.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Conan the Barbarian: it's wild that Arnold was basically just a guy from a bodybuilding documentary when he was cast in this film. Max Von Sydow and James Earl Jones really elevate the movie beyond just a comic book/ pulp fiction adaptation. The narrated opening was really cool and got through Conans origin story in half the time a modern comic book movie would. 4/5

Wheels on Meals: I had completely forgotten I had seen this movie before until Stan from the Golden Girls pop up in the credits. Great mix of physical comedy and really cool fight scenes. 4/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't think Beckert being sympathetic is a trick the director plays on you the way it is in Lolita. Lang did a lot of research into mentally ill killers and it does a lot to humanize Beckert. He's real in a way that most movie villains aren't.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fucker posted:

oh ya and the soundtrack is perfect except for the credits theme Lol

I love the corny theme song. One of the people in the band is legendary stuntman and Michael Myers actor Dick Warlock.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Leadthumb posted:

Bad Boy Bubby

3/5 reminded me of Being There, but like, if it was extremely challenging lol

this lol

Somehow not the worst movie with a three word title involving boy about a mentally ill guy in an incestuous relationship wandering aimlessly through the streets for 2 hours that I've seen in the past year. The beginning was definitely hard to watch but interesting. I don't understand the decision to make the remaining 90 minutes of the film's runtime a fish out of water comedy. I feel like this should have been 2 different movies. Still a decent movie. 3/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Riki-Oh: watched a low quality dub on an arabic language pirate movie site. The only way to watch movies for the connoisseur. I probably watch this once a year or so and I never grow tired of it. I love all the over the top gore and the sickly warden suddenly transforming into a monster through the power of kung fu.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I always go back and forth on whether Dawn or Day is my favorite. I think the acting and makeup are the strongest in this movie. I love the premise of the world having already ended and them just continuing to do their jobs because they don't know what else to do. Bub's actor does an amazing job emoting through all the makeup.

5/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Alan Partridge: alpha papa: I went into this with low expectations because of the name, but I was pretty impressed. There weren't a lot of laugh out loud moments, but the movie felt like wall to wall sensible chuckles. They did a great job introducing character quirks for everybody pretty quickly, and most of the humor comes from those quirks playing off each other. Even Simon being mostly silent and tied up with a gun to his head would still raise his eyebrows and mug for the camera every time somebody said something that could be misinterpreted as being dirty. It was great at the end, when Alan accidentally gets shot after successfully weaseling out of everything else despite being responsible for all the problems in the movie. 4/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Parenthood- it didn't really feel like a movie to me. It felt like watching a mediocre sitcom stretched out to movie length. Some of the performances were good but the movie doesn't really focus on any character long enough for them to feel fully developed. It seemed like each writer wrote part of a story without ever collaborating on how the whole thing was going to come together. It ends up just being a loose collection of scenes you would expect from a large ensemble cast dramady ending with the grandma explaining the moral of the story directly to the audience like an episode of South Park.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fungah! posted:

THE THIRD MAN
Courtesy of t a s t e

Pulp novelist Holly Martins travels to shadowy, postwar Vienna, only to find himself investigating the mysterious death of an old friend, Harry Lime.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wlKhPtq5J8

Director: Carol Reed
Writer: Graham Greene, Orson Welles, Alexander Korda
Stars: Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Alida Valli

Available On: Tubi, Crackle, Indieflix

Available From: 4/29 - 5/12

I don't know who taste is, but at least they live up to their name.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Interstella 5555: as somebody who doesn't like Daft Punk enough to want to sit down and listen to an entire album this movie is a bit rough to watch. The animation is really well done but the narrative isn't really strong enough to hold my attention for the entire runtime. The only time I had seen it before I was hanging out with some friends drinking and chatting. It was a lot more enjoyable then. Watching it alone and judging it as a movie it falls up a bit short. 2/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

starbarry clock posted:

ive been convinced to post my review a little earlier than i was planning so buckle in we are going for a wild ride

so i want to start off with that i think the smutty cheap sex joke ladled part of the movie is indeed the weakest part but i also feel its a smokescreen for a brilliant narrative

its all tongue in cheek, its clear that the movie sets out to be hyper offensive from the start when a guy motorboats a flowers tits and plops a turd in the toilet then keyfucks his car

theres also the song that calls the film cheap and a great big hunk of poo poo at the outset

and its there for the entire length of the movie, this never goes away, but even though this seems over the top and unnecessary, i think it does add to the film ultimately and ill be explaining why shortly

i feel this is a journey of self-actualization for willard

he was both horny and impotent, sex crazed but resentful of who he is, strung-out from his negative self-image and feelings of worthlessness in every aspect of his life

he lives in a dingy flat, cant get his car to start, missed the bus because somebody more self-assured was asserting himself on a lady in the doorway, screwed up his chance with the girl of his dreams which he refuses to admit is anything more than his regressive libidos overt desires

pretty much, the guy loving sucks. and his approach to life blows. and he hates himself.

Enter(eventually literally) The Duck

this is where i get a little heady, because the duck is the only anthropomorphic character in the whole film. he stands out. He Means Something. and what i think the duck is... is an avatar of willards ideal way of being

the duck hangs loose, doesnt let things become a drag, goes with the flow, does everything to prop up willard from the depths of his misery, the duck is everything that willard wishes he could do but cant because of his own mental barriers that limit his success in life

and i think when you realize that, certain events make more sense

im going to skip to the ending for a moment to clear this up before i reverse course and talk more about what The Locations mean

so after not getting laid the whole film and crashing and burning, willard returns home, defeated, and regresses back into his masturbatory habits, essentially giving up

but the duck doesnt give up, and after devouring the seemingly last method of satisfaction willard can achieve in his miserable life, becomes female in the process

this is reference by a "you are what you eat" throwaway joke about eating the pussycat, but i think eating the sex doll contraption is what really locked in the duck as a girl

and if you take the duck as an extension of willards potential, willard then having sex with her, Becoming One with her, is actually willard finally loving getting it after getting his dick kicked in the entire movie

being ruled by your primal desires only sets up an unrealistic expectation of yourself, but all he really needed was to love himself to give him the confidence that he so desperately needed in his life

its a simple story of self-acceptance, but done exceedingly well through a veil of irony laden sexual, racist, homophobic verbiage and surrealistic imagery and psychedelic visuals

you just need to brush all that aside to see what the film is really trying to say, at least in my opinion

also about the locations, ill just briefly go over this since ive already written so much

the prison is how willard sees his life, the whorehouse is willard confronting the crux of his sexual inadequacies and where all the lust takes him, which is then the desert, a barren land of no direction, he feels listless there and questions what hes doing and why hes doing them and wonders if hes going crazy at this point because

without love, passion is pointless. you have to love yourself before you can love others

glad he figures that out :santahurr:

anyway thats what i think about the film, its not overly complicated or deep but it spoke to me when i watched it and i thought it was very touching, its nice to see a loser like willard figure out whats really important

also, i love the art, background images, music, some of the humor(but not all, i dont see it as a pure comedy though so that doesnt really matter as much to me), even the story as convoluted and cluttered with vulgarity and nonsense as it is

thats life baby

10/10

You watched a man rape an anthropomorphic duck and enjoyed it

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

starbarry clock posted:

you cannot judge me until you yourself have witnessed the selfsame thing

Did you watch this movie? You're either being way too charitable or stealing SMGs bit. Even if you're in to this kind of movie every joke in it was basically lifted straight from another cartoon seemingly without understanding the satirical nature of artists like Crumb or Bakshi use of racist imagery. I was fully prepared to defend this movie alongside you until I actually saw it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Dirty Duck - I never posted an actual review, so I'll give it a try now. I actually ended up watching it twice, trying to understand what anyone saw in it. Once last weekend, followed immediately by watching Fritz the Cat to have something to compare it to. I gave it another try yesterday after watching The Third Man.

This movie doesn't really have its own voice. The song at the beginning makes it seem like it's going to be a parody of pretentious art movies, but it doesn't ever really parody anything except for a few bad impressions scattered through the movie. There's a bunch of attempts at jokes in the first 10 minutes revolving around the film's working title "cheap" and then doesn't do anything else with it for the rest of the movie. I think they were literally making the movie up as they went along and decided to make a different movie when the producers made them change the name.

Art quality and style change rapidly from scene to scene. The movie tries to get away it by pointing out its cheapness in the opening song, but it isn't clever enough to do anything meta with it. The style changes just seem to be the artist not being able to decide who's style he wants to steal at any given time. Mostly lifting straight from R. Crumb, there's bits and pieces of Terry Gilliam, Ralph Bakshi.

The movie wants to be transgressive, but it has nothing to say and doesn't know what boundaries to cross. The jokes end up just being the same broad stereotypes and sex jokes everyone else was doing after everyone else had already done them.

The soundtrack was good though, and the plot didn't piss me off as much as Hell or High Water so I'll give it a 1.5/5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I also have a 2010's independent animated film picked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Third Man - When Fritz Lang made M in 1931 the film noir movement had not yet officially started, but here less than 20 years later we have a movie that works as a deconstruction of the genre. A man tries to play the role of a detective in a story and quickly ends up hopelessly lost. The ruined city and everyone in it speaking their own languages past Holly work to show that the real world is much messier than the one portrayed in hard-boiled detective stories. Hard to come up with anything to say that hasn't been said about it already. Even if this isn't one of your favorite movies it's going to be your favorite director's favorite movie. Its influence is everywhere.

5/5