Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

count me in.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

copy posted:

thanks for running another round of this. last one got me watching more movies than i have in a long-rear end time and that ruled

This

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just watched Conan.
It's been so long since I've seen this that I forgot most of the story and it was just surprises around every corner. Had a blast watching this 5/5 ez

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The tag is very good

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

see th thing that elevates conan for me isnt just the big name actors, its the worldbuilding poo poo and the sets. they really take a lot of time to show you theres this whole world beyond just conan and his poo poo, he's one guy in th middle of world and he might be a badass but theres so much out there beyond that. the sets too, they really put a lot of details and cool ideas in the background nd let the viewer latch onto em and figure it out. its also cool how much visual metaphor theres goin on, most obvious being the wheel of pain. lot of modern movies theyd have mako talkin over the wheel of pain about how my lord suffered much at the wheel, but ultimately his struggles served to forge him into a mighty warrior, in much the same way as his father forged swords.but here they get some badass music and let the wheel speak for itself. its a movie with a lot of depth even if it just feels like sword and sandals poo poo. and then obviously th big monologues are incredible. th movies an origin story but its a good one because its not just about how conan became conan but like, him choosin between all the paths his life could take one by one until he ends up at th one that is ultimately going to lead to him winning a kingdom with his own hand

Fungah! posted:

and then arnie makes th grunting noises and tghe funny faces too, which is epic

This

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just finished Wheels on Meals.

Horrible dub aside, the stunts in this movie are incredible, the fights rule and there were some pretty funny jokes here and there. The rest of the movie kinda drags though. The guy jumping out of a second floor window just to land rear end first on concrete as a joke made me gasp, also i laughed too hard probably at the baseball to the face lol. Jackie chan rules. 4/5

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

M.

Holy poo poo. I loved it, the cinematography is simple but direct in a very powerful way. I was shocked to recognize so many contemporary crime procedural story beats in a film from 1931. You can tell they had really complex ideas while filming that were totally betrayed by the technology at the time. I loved the trolley shot through the window that felt like a disneyland ride lol. Also, in spite of its simplicity every character is distinct has their own little style of performance, even minor characters feel totally realized which made the whole thing incredibly engaging. I had never heard of this, thanks so much for the pick. 5/5 Movie club ftw

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I read it as one last chance to make the audience dread that he is somehow going to get out of it. They spend all that time capturing him and then the lawyer is like "whatever man you're hosed, I'll do my best" but then actually defends him and even gets a few people agreeing. I was just sitting there watching in disbelief like no, noooooo!

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fucker posted:

yeah, a real piece of poo poo

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bad Boy Bubby

3/5 reminded me of Being There, but like, if it was extremely challenging lol

symbolic posted:

i just got to the the cat shrink wrap scene and if an ex wanted to bang to this movie i'd turn gay in a heartbeat what the gently caress

this lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

trying to jack off posted:

The final 90 minutes, don't work without the first 30. if you don't have any of the context bubby is the bad guy and unsympathetic, he kills 4 people
and a cat. :(

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

She's such a trickster lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

list of everyone remaining:

Nostradingus
Herculon
Arrhythmia
Bicyclops
Pragmatica
taste
Fucker
Plutonis
Plebian Parasite
Gone Fashing
MacheteZombie
super sweet best pal
tmfc
trying to jack off
got the tude now
Symbolic
Fungah
Jenny Agutter
starb

cool

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

i picked already

At least you're on the list, you know?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I got the tude now posted:

not as good as Hamlet 2 but still good

Hamlet 2 owns lol, i was gonna pick it next.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bad boy symbolic

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

that does it. You're out of the Baldur's gate 3 group.

lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

nooooooo

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

symbolic posted:

thank you Bicyclops

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Day of the Dead

This movie rules man. The sets, and makeup, bub, the effects, all of it rules. I wish the writing was better, but it's so over the top and insane like it takes place in an alternate dimension where puss is a cuss word so in the end it gels with the movie fine. Huuuuuuge shoutout to the one extra that realised the zombies should be shuffling over the edge of the elevator platform, made my day.

Great pick! 5 fake bats the size of a house cat out of 5.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

They used to just make movies man. You can tell everyone making that movie was just trying to give a theater full of people a fun time.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

No cg zombie movie will ever approach that one laughing soldier getting his eye peeled out, or the amputation of Miguel's arm. Untouchable.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

rodbeard posted:

I always go back and forth on whether Dawn or Day is my favorite. I think the acting and makeup are the strongest in this movie. I love the premise of the world having already ended and them just continuing to do their jobs because they don't know what else to do. Bub's actor does an amazing job emoting through all the makeup.

5/5

I kept expecting the bub guy to get too corny in a few scenes and he never does, he turned in about as good a performance as you can given the role.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
Courtesy of symbolic

A continuation of the story told in the Daft Punk music videos "One More Time," "Aerodynamic," "Digital Love," and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger."

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqbSaOw0TvE

Director: Daisuke Nishio, Hirotoshi Rissen, Leiji Matsumoto
Writer: Thomas Bangalter, Cédric Hervet, Guy-Manuel De Homem-Christo
Stars: Romanthony, Thomas Bangalter

Available On: YouTube (https://youtu.be/2dGXazgbdhE), Archive.org (https://archive.org/details/interstela5555)

Available From: 4/15 - 4/29

owns

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

tmfc posted:

i already got probed for having dissenting opinions what more do you want.

for uyour balls to be savagely microplaned into gross little frisbees fired at light speed to the farthest reaches of the universe dud e i don't even know what im saying sorry lmao what you said is wrong though

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

herculon posted:

He won't watch it. Bicyclops never keeps his word

*nods solemnly*

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Interstella 5555

The first time I saw this movie it was projected onto a wall at a party and was kinda just on in the background. I already thought it was great, but sitting down and watching it let me appreciate the effort that went into this a lot more.
All the art is incredible of course, and the album rules, but i never realized they actually did put together a narrative for this beyond "really long music video". It's simple, but it's not nothing you know? lol
Thanks for the pick, I really enjoyed revisiting this and being able to give it my full attention.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol newly divorced dad FB post

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

we dont need no giant robots, we dont need no bishy twinks
no ojousamas in the classroom, hey, teacher, senpai noticed me

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

hey! you! yes, you! how can you eat your purin if you don't eat your katsu?!

Bicyclops posted:

tell me true. tell me why
is Hojo here beachside?
was it for this that Mommy died?

Sub-Actuality posted:

(Translator’s note: Kabe means Wall)

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Well i watched interstella 5555, let's see what the other pick is. Hmmm, that's weird, it seems like there's no second pick rn. I guess fungah's been too busy. Oh well, I'll just check back in on the 30th :)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Roth posted:

This review on Letterboxd for the movie predicted Starbarry picking this lol

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

When I was about 15 years old, I accidentally slammed my fingers in a car door in my parents' garage. My mom had already walked into the house before I even left the car, so nobody saw it happen. My entire hand was trapped in the car door, which was fully closed and locked, and three of my fingers were crushed under the frame. The pain was excruciating. I yelled of course, but because of the soundproofing in the walls, nobody heard me at first. Trying to pull my hand out was pointless and only hurt more, and I had no keys so I couldn't open the door. I started to realize that nobody was going to help me, at least not right away, and that I was probably going to be stuck there for a while. I stood there for what felt like forever, in overwhelming pain the entire time, shouting for help at intervals and probably sounding more and more desperate.

I remember wondering to myself at some point if maybe my nervous system would adapt to the pain after a few minutes, or if my hand might go numb or start to hurt less. But no, the entire time I was stuck, I was in constant agony, and at no point did it let up even a little. In fact as time went on and I got more and more frustrated, the pain intensified. By the time my mom finally heard my shouting and came to help, I felt like I was going to be trapped there forever. When I think back on this I realize that I don't really remember the initial injury or how much it hurt, I just remember how endless the experience felt. The pain was intense, but the exasperation of being confined somewhere with absolutely no way out was the thing that got to me, and that made the brief time I was stuck feel like hours. Dirty Duck (1974) has a runtime of 75 minutes.
0/5 vhs tapes

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Dirty Duck aka Down and Dirty Duck

˝

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

not to brag, but I've made every single one of my turds without assistance

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

i think there are fewer than ten movies i've seen that i didn't like and can say "this made me feel sick" about and this is one of them.

I got chickenpox when i was like 11 and i had to stay home from school and my dad and mom had to work so i was left alone. I had a fever and it was super hot in the house, but since my parents were gone I watched the jeff goldblum version of The Fly because they wouldn't let me and I threw up twice while watching it and now i can't watch it without feeling like i gotta hurl.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

My review of Dirty Duck: my grandfather fell out of a guard tower.

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I got the tude now posted:

the wit of a down and dirty duck fan on full display.

Lol