Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
What is Historical Fiction?

Historical Fiction is a term for fictional stories taking place in real historical events. They could be about famous people or about the time period itself. Some subgenres include Alternate History and Historical Fantasy. Notable authors include Philippa Gregory, Ken Follet, and Patrick O'Brian.

Okay, but why do you like it?

I love to write and have a Bachelor's degree in History. Historical fiction is a great way to combine my two loves. While I like reading history books for fun, sometimes they can be a little too dry. Plus I love seeing authors weave storytelling into real-world events. Sure, they may be a bit inaccurate but so are most historical fiction movies. That's why I made this thread so I could rant and rave about this genre and get recommendations from fellow goons.

So what are you reading/read?

I finished reading The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O' Farrell. An interesting look into how a 16 year old girl got swept into a forced marriage by a seemingly charming Duke. However, a lot of the prose streched on for far too long. Also despite being intelligent and "not like other girls", we never see her do much in regards to that. Perhaps it was the result of living in 1550's Italy as well. That time period was none too kind to women. I'm going to add a Content Warning for a marital rape scene that goes on a bit too uncomfortably long as well. But it's based on Robert Browning's poem "The Last Duchess" so if you like that sort of dark historical fiction, you'll like this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU