Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Old Thread

PICTURE THIS For the last couple of years, society has been in a state of gradual collapse. A couple of months ago, people turned on each other and a wave of terrible violence swept across the world. Somehow it got worse, the dead began walking. By the time anyone noticed, it was too late. A week ago, mysterious portals tore open the sky all over the world and terrible monsters killed whoever was left. Last night, a government official managed to make a radio broadcast, no help is coming. This morning, there is only silence. The grid is down. The cities are overrun with undead. Mutants and monsters prowl the wilderness. You are alone.

What would you do?

Cataclysm is a free open-world postapocalyptic survival game put together by an indie dev named Whales in 2010. In 2012, he stepped away from the project, leaving it under the Creative Commons CC BY-SA license. This made it open-source and allowed the community to create a fork of the game known as Dark Days Ahead which has seen continual development by hundreds of contributors ever since, growing into one of the deepest and most complex simulation games around.

Gameplay

After creating a character, the player is dropped somewhere in a fictional version of present-day new England, not long after a series of apocalyptic events have put a definitive end to human civilization. With nothing but the clothes on your back, it's up to you to find or make everything you need to survive in an unreasonably hostile world. Gameplay is turn-based, with an overhead perspective and grid-based movement that will be familiar to any roguelike player. Permadeath is always just a series of obvious-in-retrospect mistakes away, and a procedurally generated overworld means that no two games are ever the same.

- Get parasites from drinking toilet water and die without ever seeing a monster
- Randomly find a machine gun a half hour into the game and use it to alert hundreds of zombies to your exact location
- Break into people's houses and craft Mad Max armor out of their BDSM gear
- Set up a blacksmith shop in the woods and reenact Army of Darkness
- Steal a badly damaged car and fall asleep at the wheel, accidentally running over a coyote at thirty miles an hour which causes you to be thrown from the vehicle and then run over by it and killed instantly
- Go insane and team up with your own tulpa to defeat an evil dragon you are actually standing alone in a field dying of hypothermia
- Progress 25 skills and dozens of proficiencies with a learn-by-doing system
- Become a cyborg by augmenting yourself with bionics from an alternate universe
- Inject yourself with experimental mutagen and gamble on over 300 mutations
- Do both and turn into an extremely handsome acid-blooded cyborg crab wolf that can't stop screaming
- Build a fully-customized vehicle out of hundreds of different parts, be it a skateboard pulled by a golden-retriever or a 20-ton amphibious murdermobile that runs on biofuel made of zombies
- Recruit NPC survivors and establish your own community. Continue playing as one of them if you die
- Be a pyromaniac and get massive mood buffs for burning down your hometown with a flamethrower
- Explore the world, completing quests for the various factions that are trying to survive the cataclysm
- Venture beyond the fabric of known reality as you search for answers
- Run over a landmine while trying to parallel park and instantly die

The bionics menu. Like mutations, bionics are acquired in an a la carte manner, leading to unique loadouts on every character

Where can I get the game?

The easiest way is from The Website. The Releases tab will take you to the stable build (0.G Gaiman, at the time of this writing). If you'd like to test out new features, you can click the link on the releases page to go to the experimental builds. Experimental is usually perfectly playable, but because it's updated every day and is considered a testing ground, it may sometimes be unbalanced or a bit buggy.

There are also launchers, which make it easy to keep on top of the latest releases.
Windows
Linux

The game is also available for purchase on Steam. The Steam version is exactly the same as the current stable build, but comes with Steam achievements. The money goes to one developer who maintains the Steam build, but doesn't pay for development on the game itself. The Steam version has Workshop support. The workshop is not needed for mods, but it may be a more convenient way to access out of repo mods.

What about mods?

This game is tremendously complicated and you should probably learn how to play it vanilla first. Once you've figured out how to eat food and drive a car without freezing to death, modding the game is pretty simple. It comes with several in-repo mods which you can generally expect to be reasonably bug-free and compatible with the current version of the game. These can be added to any world during world creation by hitting the m key. Most of these are pretty self-explanatory, so I'll avoid going through them here.

There are out of repo mods, but for the most part these aren't properly maintained and will cause bugs. If you do find a mod off a website somewhere, make sure you confirm it's for the version of the game you're using!

One very notable out of repo mod is Sky Islands, which is exceptional for the fact that it may make the game more approachable. Sky Islands transforms the game from a permadeath survival sim into a Tarkov-style looter. You start on an empty island in the sky and warp down to random places in the world. Any loot you haul back to the extraction point is yours to keep, but if you die or run out of time, you're sent back with nothing!

Tilesets or ASCII?

The same image in ASCII and Ultica

This is mostly down to personal preference. Cataclysm has way, way more items, furniture, and monsters than most roguelikes, so many players find it easier to keep track of everything with a tileset. Luckily, the game comes with several and you can simply switch between them in the options menu under the graphics tab. This goon recommends MSXOtto+ or Chibi Ultica, but there are many to choose from. One notable tileset that doesn't come with the game (it has some copyrighted assets in it which can't legally be distributed with the game) is Undeadpeople, which is very similar to MSXOtto+. You may have heard about some drama with this tileset, but the original maintainer is no longer involved and it's now in the capable hands of Theawesomeboophis, who was nice enough to keep the project going after all of that.

Resources

CDDA Wiki - This wiki is pretty outdated, but it still has lots of good guides and there's an active push to get the place fixed up for the next stable release. Just take anything you read there with a grain of salt.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Cataclysm - HHG is the definitive resource for the game, as it pulls directly from the latest experimental's json files. It can be a crutch or an invaluable resource, depending on how often you click over to look at it
Cataclysm on Github - This is where development happens. You can go to the issues tab and make a post if you find a bug or have an idea for a new feature
Cataclysm DDA Subreddit - The devs mostly avoid this place as it's been a venue for harassment, however there are many fun people and posts there and things have been pretty chill lately

Every single button on my keyboard does something and none of it is what I want

I can't think of another game that offers the same degree of freedom and depth as Cataclysm - you really can do just about anything in this game - but the price you pay is that the learning curve is worse than Dwarf Fortress. I'd recommend checking out the in-game tutorial (accessed via the main menu) but there are other resources.

Worm Girl's Tutorial Series - This is a video guide I made over a year ago. Everything in it should apply to 0.G stable and most of it still applies in the current experimental versions. It talks to you like your five and slowly walks you through what buttons to push and why you're pushing them, with the goal of getting you through your first day with some basic supplies. There are a few followup videos, though at this time I should warn that the advice in the "Primitive Melee" video is outdated as of recent experimentals. Still good in 0.G though
Ic0n Gaming's Tutorial Series - Part 1 of a similar series by Ic0n Gaming. It's slightly older, but has more videos and a different presentational style
TheMurderUnicorn's Tutorial Series - TMU is another Cataclysm youtuber who started a tutorial series around the same time as Ic0n gaming. This series is super thorough

Notably, the latter two series use Ultica while mine uses MSXOtto+. It may be easiest for you to go with the one that looks the same as your own game.

Other Projects

As an open-source project, anyone can fork the game at any time. While DDA is absolutely the biggest and most regularly developed fork, a few others exist, offering alternative experiences and communities.

Cataclysm: Bright Nights - Split off around 0.E, a version of the game which focuses on more fast-paced gameplay with less emphasis on simulation
Cataclysm: Looming Darkness - A multiplayer remake in development, reportedly with a release coming soon
Foxlight C:DDA - Play CDDA on a server
WatchCDDA - Use the internet to watch people play CDDA

Development and Contributing

The project is organized into a few tiers. There is the maintainer, Kevin Granade, then a sort of hand-picked inner circle of developers, whose job is to control quality and keep the project on track so that some random person can't just roll up and add stuff that breaks the game or doesn't conform to the design docs, project standards, or the overall vibe. Anyone else who wants to work on the project is termed a contributor.

Literally anybody can contribute to CDDA. If you have an idea for the game, you can implement it on your own machine and submit it for review. If the devs decide it's right for the game, it'll get added for everyone to play with, and then bam, you're a contributor! The game is coded in C++, but never fear - you can work on a lot of things without ever learning a line of code thanks to the magic of javascript. Most monsters, bionics, items, mutations, maps, NPCs, and quests are all defined in very simple json files which you can modify with a text editor. You don't even need to compile! You will however need to learn how to use github which is literally harder than coding

I'm a contributor myself. I learned everything I know about C++ in a couple of years, just chipping away at the game's systems to see what I could do, but even before I knew anything about the language, I was able to add some useful items to the game, and I always smile when I see them.

Developer Discord - This is the easiest place to get started. Make sure you read the rules and check the vibes before you jump in. For various reasons, they run a tight ship over there and get grumpy about memes and stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/0oxUfOj.mp4

worm girl fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Goon CDDA Content
The Original CDDA LP thread - It's very ancient and nobody gets very far, but that doesn't mean the stories aren't funny
Worm Girl's LP thread - A gigantic thread with one huge screenshot LP, a few shorter spinoff screenshot LPs, and links to my stuff on Youtube. Shameless self promotion, yay!

Do we have any other goon threads or pages?

Non-goon Stuff!

Rycon - Rycon is my personal favorite CDDA youtuber. He does really wonderful roleplay-oriented playthroughs and is great at turning even very incidental encounters into interesting stories
Vormithrax - Vorm has been taking a break from CDDA, but he's one of the most prolific creators around and basically knows everything about the game
TheMurderUnicorn - TMU's got a ton of great content, including let's plays and rundowns of the experimental updates

There are many others, but I haven't gotten caught up with 'em so I'm not sure what to recommend.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 31, 2024

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
the old thread is dead, long live worm girl

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I am an extremely handsome acid-blooded cyborg crab wolf that can't stop screaming, AMA

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Not gonna lie it seems... Kinda scummy how the steam versions money is distributed.

Does the steam version have any differences that justifies all the proceeds going to one developer rather then the entire dev team?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thanks for making that good OP, worm girl!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RabidWeasel posted:

I am an extremely handsome acid-blooded cyborg crab wolf that can't stop screaming, AMA

Have you ever considered not screaming.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I consider the Wolfgirl mutant meme extremely inaccurate as as the Large/Huge mutations are not in the canine category. :colbert:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Night10194 posted:

Have you ever considered not screaming.

Never

Caidin posted:

I consider the Wolfgirl mutant meme extremely inaccurate as as the Large/Huge mutations are not in the canine category. :colbert:

I really think that most of the animalistic mutation lines should have a size mutation of some sort, it just fits in with how you'd "expect" turning into a hideous crime against god and man to work (and plays into the body horror side of it as well when you get big / small enough for it to be problematic)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I picked up this game recently, and it's a lot of fun! Here is one of the many stories from my current game. While there is a little narrative embellishment, the core actions are all things you can do during gameplay. It's got a character with the in-game Psychopath trait doing on-brand psychotic things, so be warned I guess.

quote:

I was taking a detour on my way home from my "mechanic" when it all happened. Some days ago, I'd climbed a radio tower and spotted a uniform line cut through the middle of a dense forest in the distance. This usually means a road, and sure enough, upon coming to the edge of the forest there was a nice, straight, paved road right on through. "Great," I thought, "this will save me quite a bit of time coming to get body work done." I turned the old mining truck I'd retrofitted into my primary field vehicle left, and eased her up to 35 MPH along the dark, narrow road through the trees. The Cataclysm did more for making me a safer driver than all the defensive driving courses I took before the fall.

About halfway through the forest, I eased to a stop. Two trees had fallen in the road, blocking the way through. Clearly, I'd let optimism take too hard a hold. I briefly considered if I could move the trees, but they were huge, ancient pines and I didn't exactly think far enough ahead to bring any lumberjacking stuff with me. Annoyed, I started to back the truck up, but was interrupted by a loud *BANG* and the sound of something ricocheting off of the door of my truck. This was an ambush!

I ducked down below the dashboard and hastily hit two switches roughly duct taped to its underside. One switch pulls curtains across every piece of glass in the truck. The other turns on the security cameras. I'd jury rigged both of those myself; the motors for the curtains came from a bunch of old RC cars I'd taken apart, and the security cameras were smartphones I'd looted from some of the zeds, wired into a USB hub, and had dumping out into a tablet. With the view obscured, I took a chance, grabbed the tablet, and began surveying the area.

I could only locate a single attacker, ducked behind a tree stump. I couldn't tell what kind of gun or other weapons he had. I weighed my options, and decided that overwhelming force was the best choice. I clambered up, popped the hatch on the roof, and leveled the M249 mounted to the roof.

What? All sorts of stuff went unguarded once most of the world lost their faculties.

The wannabe bandit was too focused on the doors to notice what I was doing. By the time he realized he had a light machine gun trained on him, bullets were already flying. I fired two 3-round bursts, and the second burst hit him in the head, messily ending this particular exchange.

I returned the M249 to its resting position and traded it for the SIG Pro .40 I kept holstered at my side. This guy had a gun, and more importantly, ammo. I'd be taking that for myself. After exiting the vehicle and walking a few paces towards the ruined tree stump the bandit's body was at, I heard a shuffling coming from the woods. A pack of zombie wolves stumbled out of the clearing, heading straight towards me. Apparently they'd been drawn by the sound of the gunfire. I rolled my eyes at the bandit; clearly, he hadn't thought this exchange through very well. I holstered the SIG and hefted the massive polearm I had strapped to my back. Most zombies don't rate bullets, unless they're one of the weird ones.

A few swings later, and four former zombie wolves lay in various states of disrepair in the grass. One of them was so far gone to damage and decay that it exploded in a shower of gore when it caught the business end of my lucerne hammer. While the superior reach of my polearm was such that none of the wolves even got close enough to touch me, I wasn't particularly concerned. My bronze cataphract breastplate glinted in the sunlight.

My "mechanic" and his Exodii are apparently big fans of old martial gear. I'd negotiated this armor in exchange for a decent pile of literature and electronics manuals. I have no idea if this is a reproduction piece or a legitimate historical artifact, but whatever its origins, it was excellent at protecting me from the bites and claws of most zombies, an' I'm ken.

After that brief distraction, I got to lootin'. All this joker had on him was a Glock, seven rounds of 9mm, and some of those disgusting ration bars from the evac shelters. I can't even imagine what he thought was going to happen when he saw a Mad Max truck coming down the road. If I were in his position, I would have loving hid until they went away. He looked pretty skinny; I guess he was getting desperate or something.

I felt disappointed at having spent six rounds of 5.56 on this clown, but caution had kept me safe this far, so I let the thought pass. There was more important work to do, now. I grabbed the corpse and dragged it behind my truck. I popped open the truck's back hatch and rooted around in a hatch in the center aisle, producing a metal rack, a collection of knives and saws, and a large plastic tarpaulin. I laid the tarp out on the pavement, dragged the corpse onto it, and got to work.

Like my momma always said: waste not, want not.

About 20 minutes later, I'd completed my task and had packed the "fruits" of said labor into the mini freezer inside. There'd be more to do once I got home; I didn't exactly want to take my time out in the field, especially after I'd been jumped by zombie wolves. There are far more dangerous things in the woods than that, and I wasn't keen to linger too terribly much. After stowing everything in the back of the truck, I hopped in the driver's seat and started to make the 5-point turn I'd need to turn this sumbitch around on this narrow road.

As I was executing the turn, I met eyes with another person hiding in the woods. She looked loving scared. I gave her a little wave and a smirk, and continued turning the vehicle around. Apparently my bandit friend had a buddy. She melted away into the woods. Fine by me; don't give any and you won't get any, I figure.

As I backtracked down the forest road on my way home, I considered what could have been going through her head that whole time. A huge diesel truck stops at the barricade, and her buddy stupidly fires at it. A loving machine gun on the roof gives his head an exciting new career as a low-concentration meat aerosol. Then, a man in gleaming bronze armor out of a loving history book climbs out of the truck. He looks almost bored as he effortlessly dispatches four terrifying zombie wolves that spill out of the forest. Unperturbed, he drags the corpse of her former friend behind the truck, and once he's driven off, the only signs left of the corpse are a pool of blood and some unidentifiable viscera. At the very end, she meets eyes with the man. His eyes aren't human; they are a solid, dull, glassy red. Visible circuitry spiders down his face in parallel lines, and a softly glowing tattoo, constantly changing shape, dances around his eyes. He waves at her; the blood of her companion still ruddy on his fingertips.

I'd have been scared, too.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

thanks for the new OP worm girl. i don’t post here ever, but this one of my favorite threads to read

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

RabidWeasel posted:

I really think that most of the animalistic mutation lines should have a size mutation of some sort, it just fits in with how you'd "expect" turning into a hideous crime against god and man to work (and plays into the body horror side of it as well when you get big / small enough for it to be problematic)

A wolf isn't bigger than a human irl though, it's the same size or smaller.

Mutations are also purposefully spread around a bit unevenly to make you consider mixing lines, and to ensure that each individual line is different from the rest.

edit: Also you can now take the Very Tall trait at chargen if you just want to be a lorge wolf. Or the Very short one if you'd prefer to be 4'5"

worm girl fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 31, 2024

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Can't believe I have to meticulously disassemble all my posts in the old thread and drive them over to the new thread

I guess I can just leave them there :sigh:

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

worm girl posted:

edit: Also you can now take the Very Tall trait at chargen if you just want to be a lorge wolf. Or the Very short one if you'd prefer to be 4'5"

Aha, now I know how I'm going to pull off my Alf RP run.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Adventures in home improvement:
I was in the middle of chipping paint off a wall(for the extremely important task of painting my house with the horrible mishmash of paint colors the hardware store had, instead of its default boring white) outside when a portal storm started. I made the mistake of stopping the task and going inside, and now I had an uncompletable construction task hanging out on that tile.

(E)xamining it only brought up the power grid window, it absolutely refused to let me examine the task in progress.
Trying to start a new "remove paint from wall" construction on that tile just made the game whine that there's already one in progress.
Trying to use the paint chipper did nothing.

Instead I had to go caveman and smash the wiring with a rock so there was no longer a power grid taking priority over everything else on that tile. :shepface:

Adventures in vehicular improvement:
I put a fancy electric engine in my tractor to make it theoretically go 120mph. Put it in my motorcycle or something? Nah, turbo-tractor is funnier.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Thanks to Worm Girl's tutorial, I was able to get the basics in after... one false start where breaking every cabinet in my shelter didn't yield any pipes, I went out hunting, and got beaten to death by zombies. Second time's the charm though, and I've gotten a Brazier and tank set up to boil water! Now I just need to find somewhere I can actually salvage from. There's no towns nearby, the road south has a spiderweb and some sort of riot bot, and the shelter buddy is complaining about how he needs an inhaler.

I did see a bunch of dead college students on the map, so maybe I'll get lucky there...?

Update:
I found the inhaler in an ambulance, I'm currently trying to figure out combat. Or specifically how I should be fighting at all. Right now it seems like even with street fighter and the 10dex/10str start recommended in Worm Girl's video I still get my rear end kicked by a single zombie.

LukasR23 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 2, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

LukasR23 posted:

Right now it seems like even with street fighter and the 10dex/10str start recommended in Worm Girl's video I still get my rear end kicked by a single zombie.

What is your weapon and what are your arm and torso encumbrance at? (You can see these by pressing @)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Other "oh god I'm getting my rear end kicked" considerations(basic zombies at the start should not be very threatening to an uninjured player, and this is coming from another CDDA semi-newbie):

-No seriously, what is your weapon? You don't want to just look at damage, but also moves per attack and the techniques it grants. A large rock looks like it does a ton of damage, but it's also slow as poo poo and not terribly accurate. This bo nominally does less damage, but more than makes up for it with faster attacks, better accuracy, and some nice special moves. This shovel is obviously a makeshift weapon, but it actually does a decent job at game start(although it's not as good as a real weapon) - its damage output is okay, and blocking abilities go a long way towards melee survivability, especially before you get your dodge up. Goons like pipes because they're very common and a decent weapon, but it shouldn't be the end of the world if you don't find one at the start. Eventually you'll want to pay attention to what type of damage your weapon is doing, but cut/bash/pierce generally work equally well on basic zombies.
-Encumbrance is the silent killer - you can see it at a glance in @, like worm girl said, and you can easily see what's causing the encumbrance in the sort armor screen(press +). Early on, armor is generally unnecessary for fighting basic zombies, and the types of armor you'll find just laying around will generally be kinda poo poo for how encumbering they are. Forgetting to drop your packs before you fight is another easy way to be too encumbered to fight well. Note that encumbering different body parts has different negative effects, but most of them impact both ranged and melee at least a little.
-Pain is the slightly less silent killer. Painkillers take a bit to kick in, so down that aspirin before you get the party started.
-Zombies are generally slower than you. This isn't just good for running away(although you should always be ready to do that at the slightest sign of things getting scary) - if you get a zombie bleeding, you can kite it around and watch its hp drop danger-free(and without wasting bullets, if you're using a gun). They won't keep bleeding forever, but this can help in sketchy situations or to stretch ammo out. Similarly, if you see a zombie coming, there's no reason to let it get the first move on you - wait in place(with .) for it to close the last tile itself, and hit it after it does so. Their slowness also lets you think outside the box in other ways, since you can more easily change gears mid-combat than with stuff that can keep up with you - getting your rear end kicked by a single zombie? Back up, find something you can light on fire, do so, and walk the zombie over it.
-You are remembering to pick a combat style(with _ ) if you have access to one, right?
-If you're not familiar with traditional roguelike combat in general, it's good to work on habitually luring(draw things away from groups/unexplored territory towards safer/known turf), kiting(hit, back away, wait for it to walk back in hitting range, repeat), breaking line of sight(zombies do have smell and hearing along with sight, but it's not too hard to shake them if you break LOS a couple times), and wielding the power of JUST WALK OUT, YOU CAN LEAVE*. Zombies, as stated above, are generally slower than you, and their AI is pretty easy to manipulate, which makes all of these even more powerful than usual.

*incidentally, remember you can press " to change movement modes. You can usually literally just walk away from zombies, but actual running is useful for other things. Be mindful of your stamina, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If I've updated my version of cataclysm, will Reseting a world just clean up any potential issues with it, or should I just start a new world?

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
That character is long dead, but what you've said explains a great deal. The hammer I was using (from a toolbox) was.. solidly Not Great as weapons go, and I'd grabbed some armguards off a corpse under the assumption they'd help. And I think I'd also put on one of the emergency jackets from the shetler. I'm guessing between the three of those my choice of gear was... screwing me over and a big chunk of how I got killed so easily.

Not doing that and just grabbing a pipe on my current run has gone.. much cleaner. I'm still taking a few whacks but I've gotten two zombies down so far without being horribly maimed, and I'm calling that a landmark step forward. Plus, one of them had a multitool!

LukasR23 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 2, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't remember the exact calculations, but the "to hit" chance of a weapon is extremely important, probably even more than most people think. Early on I prioritize accurate weapons over powerful ones, at least until my skills go up a bit.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Encumbrance management is vital too and will help a ton

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
It's been forever since I played, but a good cudgel is easy to make and a solid starter weapon. Quarterstaff, too, although that is (marginally) harder to make.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The cudgel has lost some of its control ability (zams don't get stunned by techniques anymore) but it's still easy to use and fast, and for a rookie that can matter just as much. And hey, against a living enemy it can still send them reeling.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The pipe mace (and great pipe mace, if you can scare up enough materials) are also excellent day 1 weapons. They do a ton of damage and have a block and knockdown technique.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
My preferred day 1 weapon solution is to fish a stack of flares out of somebody's trunk and set buildings and trees on fire

Only ferals will consistently path around fire, and walking through one fire tile will usually kill most zombies. This works on slimes too.

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 2, 2024

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Great Pipe mace can also be use to bash safes open (eventually) if you’ve got a relatively normal amount of strength. Takes a while to do and you’ll have to stop to catch your breath every 4-6 bashes though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Synthbuttrange posted:

If I've updated my version of cataclysm, will Reseting a world just clean up any potential issues with it, or should I just start a new world?

I've never used the reset function of maps, but I assume it deletes the world and regenerates it from the map seed or whatever. So, depends a lot on what you mean by "potential issues."

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, Uncanny Dodge continues to be the best CBM. A Skeletal Juggernaut? Yawn.

Also, to my winter question in the previous thread, the answer turned out to be "just use the internal climate control CBM lol," turns out it can compensate for below-freezing temperatures pretty easily.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

LukasR23 posted:

That character is long dead, but what you've said explains a great deal. The hammer I was using (from a toolbox) was.. solidly Not Great as weapons go, and I'd grabbed some armguards off a corpse under the assumption they'd help. And I think I'd also put on one of the emergency jackets from the shetler. I'm guessing between the three of those my choice of gear was... screwing me over and a big chunk of how I got killed so easily.

Not doing that and just grabbing a pipe on my current run has gone.. much cleaner. I'm still taking a few whacks but I've gotten two zombies down so far without being horribly maimed, and I'm calling that a landmark step forward. Plus, one of them had a multitool!

Hammer isn't necessarily bad, but it doesn't really offer any native techniques like 'blocking.' It's definitely an emergency weapon, or a placeholder until you find something better.

The emergency jacket is probably the biggest offender to your encumbrance, especially combined with the arm guards.

Early game, there's a few weapons you can get or make relatively easily. Quarterstaff and Cudgel can be made pretty quickly if you have a knife. Wooden Spears (and the slight upgrade, the Fire-hardened Wooden Spear) can also be useful if you're good with kiting around zombies, as you can keep a two tile distance (though not fully diagonal two tiles) and avoid grabs, as well as inflict bleeding with the stabs. For pre-made weaponry, finding a bayonet, a baseball bat, or a fire axe can definitely improve your killing potential.

Early game, as mentioned, armor isn't as necessary unless you think there's something nasty in the area. For early-game armor, the hard guards aren't the worst, and neither is either leather jackets/trenchcoats/dusters or firefighter gear. Finding any kevlar vests is good but you should save it for if you know/suspect something with a gun is in the area. Keep in mind your encumbrance though, as that adds up. If you're going to armor up before you get better at fighting and dodging, make sure to drop your bag and any extra stuff impacting your encumbrance before any fight.

For manufacturing early armor? There's not too many things you can make quickly or easily. A lot of them require decent tailoring and obviously the materials. If you're willing to knuckle down and do the tailoring/practice, gambesons are probably the easiest of the early-game armor crafting. For the most part you just need various varieties of cloth depending on the type, which you can get by butchering clothing, plus the tools, thread, and belt. And if you're going to get deep into armor crafting (especially medieval armor), gambesons are nice to further improve your armor and pad it so you don't get debuffs from hard armor.

(That being said, gambesons are very warm, so probably don't wear them in the summer if you can help it.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

For early armor, the carpet cuirass is surprisingly good. You can find all the materials in houses and it requires no skill to make. It has enough armor to fend off basic zed attacks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

For early armor, the carpet cuirass is surprisingly good. You can find all the materials in houses and it requires no skill to make. It has enough armor to fend off basic zed attacks.

Yeah, that thing saved my life in a mansion basement start.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
So I started a Tropical Cataclysm Innawoods, and lemme tell you: the Tropical Cataclysm mod is basically unplayable.

The temperature at standard game start basically means you'll be overheating during the daytime. I'm not even in Summer yet, Spring 84 right now, and the temperature is getting to 105 F. I'm taking damage by existing outside in underwear. And given a lot of crafting requires a nearby fire, the heat will only grow worse.

Which sucks, because that mod does seem to add new wildlife and plants, so I figured an Innawoods run of it would be neat. But considering you have to exist in a pond or cave for half the year? Oofah.

Is there any serious ways to cool down a character besides 'be naked' and 'be in water?' Or alternatively, other ways of tolerating the heat beyond jumping down one of the mutation trees?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Accurate to a New Englisher being teleported to the equator, 10/10.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I grew up in the desert and as long as you don't exert yourself too much and have plenty of water and reasonable clothing, anything south of 110 is not that bad. I used to hike around for several hours at a time in those temperatures.

Another time I went out when it was over 120 and probably came as close to dying as I ever have. I was out for like an hour before I started getting too dizzy to walk and having little mini blackouts.

Temperature in the game is entirely hosed up. Maybe I should write a heat stroke effect and damage should only kick in at like actual burning temperatures.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 3, 2024

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I'm still a little bitter at my last big death at the hands of an invisible shadow monster but now understand what it is and how it can be avoided. Plus, there have been a few changes that make said death a little less out-of-nowhere for people in the future.

It also got me to start slowly plugging away at this PR. I do programming as a day job but not in C++, so pointers have always given me a headache. Combine that with the fact that this game has a massive code base that no one human can fully understand, and any non-trivial C++ contributions become a major test of will and skill.

I'm having fun, though.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Speaking of bullshit deaths, I added some counterplay to the Flaming Eyes. Previously, they would always hit you with Tainted Mind every 12 seconds that they could see you, which would eventually cause some very bad things to happen. The only way to avoid this was to avoid them entirely, snipe them with an absurdly long-ranged gun in the dark (doesn't work in labs for obvious reasons), or peek-throw grenades (destroys loot if they're in the finale). Or you could have an active five-point anchor which is endgame loot which they're ironically frequently guarding.

Now, if you have Kaluptic Psychosis and are unmedicated, you have a 66% chance to negate the attack. If you are any level of drunk above tipsy, you have a 1/6 chance for every level of drunkenness you have, to a maximum of 5/6 if you're Dead Drunk. Getting drunk has a lot of drawbacks so it's not meant to be a perfect solution, but it might buy you enough time to gun the eye down at close range, or at least get away without getting the hounds called on you.

I would make this work with more drugs (psychedelics or extremely high doses of opioids), but none of them are coded very well except for weed, and I don't think weed is the right drug for this.

If you have Kaluptic Psychosis, you can learn about the resistance by talking to Dino Dave at the refugee center.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I always thought it would be cool if blinding yourself prevented the stare effect. I get that it's caused by it seeing you, not making eye contact with it, but it feels like a thematically appropriate and even player-intuitive way to deal with a giant otherworldly eyeball.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm following worm girls' tutorial and uhhh there's just no cars outside! Like I've been up and down all nearby streets, crossed a big plain and started wandering around a town until the zombies were too dense to go further and I really can't find any cars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Vib Rib posted:

I always thought it would be cool if blinding yourself prevented the stare effect. I get that it's caused by it seeing you, not making eye contact with it, but it feels like a thematically appropriate and even player-intuitive way to deal with a giant otherworldly eyeball.

This is how the other psychic attack, fear paralysis, works. If you have to fight Amigara Horrors (who I just buffed) you can protect yourself by wearing a blindfold.

I want to buff them a bit more as they're not the most interesting boss in the world, and they don't work like they ought to. IMO they should be really slow, but paralyze you so they can creep up and strangle you to death with their noodle arms. That way, blinding yourself wouldn't be a perfect solution, because it would make it really hard to shoot them, but you could use hearing (or the upcoming echolocation mutation in my Chiropteran PR!) to discern their location and blindly fire at them, or use a turret, or bring a bunch of dogs, or something.