Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Or a molotov. Don’t need to be able to see if the plan is to burn everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cdda is like taking over everything in my recommendations, even tangentially. :v

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

30.5 Days posted:

I'm following worm girls' tutorial and uhhh there's just no cars outside! Like I've been up and down all nearby streets, crossed a big plain and started wandering around a town until the zombies were too dense to go further and I really can't find any cars!

They're out there, just pretty sparse if you're away from big cities. You can find cars parked near the woods at Trailhead locations if you wanna stay in the boonies, otherwise just keep your eyes peeled and carry on!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You should find at least a few (probably broken down) cars in any small village. Mods doing something weird?

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Sinatrapod posted:

They're out there, just pretty sparse if you're away from big cities. You can find cars parked near the woods at Trailhead locations if you wanna stay in the boonies, otherwise just keep your eyes peeled and carry on!

Places to look for cars:

Roadside food carts
Gas stations
Cul de sac like road features
Sugar shack
Mine parking lots
State parks
Trailheads
Military helipads
Speedways (dozens per speedway)
Airports
Bridge checkpoints
Pump stations and water treatment facilities
Nuke plant parking garages

Dairy farms and light industry nearly always have a box truck

Forest bandit garages give you a guaranteed brand new technical or quad

Rural houses with paddocks have a random guaranteed brand new vehicle in front of the house

Cabin tiles marked "C" on the map have a brand new hatchback (only in experimental builds for now)

Also nobody will ever see you steal from the evac center cars outside so you can literally just steal one and go with no consequences

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 5, 2024

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Other rural vehicle places:
Field campsites (marked with a green tent icon) can have motorcycles.

Apple orchards, sugar houses, motels, and the various roadside stops(rest areas, roadside food stops, etc) tend to spawn with a small variety of vehicles.

Farm fields are occasionally dotted with vehicles - mostly farm vehicles, but you can find some random other stuff as well(my current dude is driving an excavator he found sitting in a field).

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Haifisch posted:

Other rural vehicle places:
Field campsites (marked with a green tent icon) can have motorcycles.

Apple orchards, sugar houses, motels, and the various roadside stops(rest areas, roadside food stops, etc) tend to spawn with a small variety of vehicles.

Farm fields are occasionally dotted with vehicles - mostly farm vehicles, but you can find some random other stuff as well(my current dude is driving an excavator he found sitting in a field).

The little 3x3 excavators outside of roadworks and mass graves make insanely great early game vehicles, they are very very durable and in the perfect size to drive through sketchy areas

Regional scrapyards have flatbed trucks

If you can get a boat, freshwater research stations sometimes have amphibious vehicles. These are exactly as good as they sound tbh, it's an insane game changer to just be able to treat rivers like roads

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 5, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

If you can get a boat, freshwater research stations sometimes have amphibious vehicles. These are exactly as good as they sound tbh, it's an insane game changer to just be able to treat rivers like roads

Boats are also pretty easy to make. They are essentially road-going vehicles, but with boat hulls. The same engines Just Work™ in the water. Bear in mind that until you don't have the boating proficiency, your control in the water is for poo poo. Take your time and make turns early.

Freshwater research stations are also a great place to find sharksuits (read: the wet suit, not to be confused with the shark suit, which is something else entirely,) which are only one crafting recipe away from being electricity-immunity-granting armor.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
You can also start with boating prof for free, it's a 0 point background if you want it

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

30.5 Days posted:

I'm following worm girls' tutorial and uhhh there's just no cars outside! Like I've been up and down all nearby streets, crossed a big plain and started wandering around a town until the zombies were too dense to go further and I really can't find any cars!

In addition to the advice above, sometimes you just get a bad world. There are 3 mi-go outside. The shelter is right next to a mass grave. The only town is blocked by a wasp nest. If you're just following the tutorial, feel free to delete your world and make a new one, but once you get to actual playing, these kinds of curveballs are what really define your run. One time I could not find a hacksaw anywhere to fix my car, so I was stuck in my starting town and forced to learn how to do a bunch of complicated forging and stuff to make one, which became its own story and pushed my character toward being a modern-day knight, something that might not have happened if I'd been able to simply find what I needed.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

learned about this game a while back, it's pretty cool! was in a discord where a challenge was posted to get to survive to day 60, after watching some youtube tutorials i was the only person who managed to do so (on my 2nd attempt - first one I wandered into the woods on a quest to hunt some wolves... turns out, they have a bit of an advantage in that terrain). portal storms are the scariest poo poo when you don't know how to stay safe from them

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011
Randomly clicked on this thread and then started reading worm girl’s LP and was enthralled. Tried my first run today knowing it was going to probably go poorly, suspicions were confirmed when my pizza boy ran into about 40 ants chewing their way through the nearest town. After hiding on the roof of a house for 30 minutes he snuck down into a basement only to turn on a flashlight and find himself face to face with a zombie child that proceeded to glue itself to his ankles and chew his limbs off. This was all in the first ingame hour.

I’m already completely in love with this game.

Quick question though, when making a character how do I swap over to the point buy system? It was locked to “survivor” with no limits on my selections when I made my pizza boy, which while I can deal with self enforcing a balance of positive and negative traits I wouldn’t mind having a little structure to the points available at character creation. I’m using the “kitten” launcher with the most recent updates if that matters.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Rabidsamba posted:

Quick question though, when making a character how do I swap over to the point buy system? It was locked to “survivor” with no limits on my selections when I made my pizza boy, which while I can deal with self enforcing a balance of positive and negative traits I wouldn’t mind having a little structure to the points available at character creation. I’m using the “kitten” launcher with the most recent updates if that matters.

When making a new world (or editing the World Default options in the Options menu), there's an option towards the bottom called 'Character Point Pools.' Set that to 'Any' and you'll be able to select whether to have infinite points (Survivor) or go to one of the older versions. You can also go to the 'Debug' zone on the Options to change the amount of points you start with in each category, if you want to be limited but, for instance, have more potential traits or free trait points or something.

(And a protip from me to you: if you use the version with character point pools (i.e. 6 points for attributes, 2 free skill points) and thus have a limit on how many points of Traits you can get, if you wait to select Backgrounds/Hobbies that would give you a trait until after you select your Traits, you can go over the limit. Similarly, you do not knock-off points for having 'bought' the Trait a Background grants, so if you're planning on taking a Background don't select the Trait beforehand.)

EDIT: I believe, though I could be very wrong, that adjusting the amount of points you get using the Debug options doesn't quite work right with doing a random character. I'd have to check but I recall being baffled by trying to do random characters with the limited points and seeing it not quite add up.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 7, 2024

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011
Ahhh okay yeah I vaguely remember skipping past that option on world gen cause I wasn’t sure what it was and didn’t want to mess with it. Thanks for clearing that up and for the guidance on traits. Definitely looking forward to getting a survivor to at least 9AM now, just gotta actually watch some tutorials first.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Don't feel obligated to adhere to point buy. It's ancient and hasn't been rebalanced in an ice age.

That being said, I did my current character with point buy :haw:

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Survivor mode is unlimited PTO

The idea is that you can make whatever you want, but in practice you'll pressure yourself into playing weaker overall characters

I'm sticking with point buy until they take it out!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Point Buy does give you some extrinsic motivation to actually try playing with some of the character downsides. I chose Rigid Table Manners for my latest character, something I'd never think to do just for the hell of it, and now I love how goofy it is. I was keeping a folding chair and folding table in the back of my car just so I could eat without feeling like an animal, and it was hilarious. It's going to be standard on every character I play from now on.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eating should give you a morale bonus that scales as you collect all 23 different tiny forks, and has a bonus if you changed into fancy clothes to eat.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Eating should give you a morale bonus that scales as you collect all 23 different tiny forks, and has a bonus if you changed into fancy clothes to eat.

Extra bonus if you managed to find the little cocktail onion sword skewers

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Morale -50: Used wrong fork for the monster lasagna course.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Carefully unfolding a crane-shaped napkin into my lap, then tucking into my meal of an old toast-em, Necco wafers I just picked off a zombie, and some "distinguished" pemmican

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't feel obligated to adhere to point buy. It's ancient and hasn't been rebalanced in an ice age.

That being said, I did my current character with point buy :haw:

I'm going to rebalance it at some point, not because it's coming back as a main chargen feature, but because I think the proposed mutagen system is going to care about it.

Currently working on redoing acid attacks. Getting splashed with boomer bile or acid will have a chance to damage your gear or get it filthy. I spent about eight hours writing a function that meticulously goes over everythibg you're wearing where you get splashed and models how much of the fluid gets on each item or soaks rhrough based on its coverage and breathability.

It's a ways out, but the upshot is that you'll want to wear waterproof outwerwear, but life won't be an endless cycle of repairing and washing your clothes as long as you pay the slightest bit of attention to the game.

Someone pointed out that rigid table manners doubles the time it takes to eat stuff, but mouth tentacles makes eating instant.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 7, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

worm girl posted:

Someone pointed out that rigid table manners doubles the time it takes to eat stuff, but mouth tentacles makes eating instant.

With chelicerae you're able to hold all the different cutlery at once!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I personally really enjoy the new no-points system because previously there was a huge incentive to game the system by choosing disadvantages that aren't really a disadvantage or pack on negatives that were minor or irrelevant and everything was about point cost. Almost every single post I saw about building a character was which traits to grab to get "free points". The new system feels much more about roleplaying and having fun and just picking things for the sake of trying them.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Vib Rib posted:

I personally really enjoy the new no-points system because previously there was a huge incentive to game the system by choosing disadvantages that aren't really a disadvantage or pack on negatives that were minor or irrelevant and everything was about point cost. Almost every single post I saw about building a character was which traits to grab to get "free points". The new system feels much more about roleplaying and having fun and just picking things for the sake of trying them.

Minmaxers having a game to play didn't stop anybody from roleplaying :shrug: sure, you see fewer posts about points now, mostly because you see fewer posts!

There was nothing stopping roleplayers from making undercosted characters in the point buy system, just don't spend your points. Why care about what the minmaxers were doing if that's not how you wanted to play the game? It just seems weird to me

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 8, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

My preferred -12:

Asthma for 3
Psychosis for 3
Heavy sleeper, Fast metabolism and pyromaniac at -2

Psychosis is kind of negative sometimes but asthma is a non issue and the other three traits are positive

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

if only images could be thread titles

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Having the best start I've ever had and I'm so nervous I'm gonna plow into a field of dudes and die, I wanna try to do this one with minimal, if any alt+f4'ing

Helicopter crash start, my crashed helicopter is an apache with two intact miniguns belted at 450+ rounds, each. I grabbed the belts and started moving towards the helipad (you get one marked on your map by default in this start) and on the way to the helipad I ran into a mined bridgehead with two parked humvees, both with mounted M240 machine guns, which I just happened to have around 900 rounds of ammunition for. On the way to the helipad, I found:

-A pile of military corpses, netting me about a hundred rounds of 5.56 and some grenades
-A mass grave with an M9 flamethrower with about 90% of it's ammunition left
-A military roadblock where I got about another 200 rounds of 5.56 and some grenades
-An empty light industrial with welding supplies
-Hub 01

So I make it to the military helipad, clear it out, loot the corpses, head up the road, and what do I find? Another military roadblock.

It's a little past 12:30 on day 1 and I have 550 rounds of 5.56, about 600 rounds of .308, half a dozen grenades, a flamethrower, enough MREs to last my calorie goblin a week, an acetylene torch with gas and two 7.5kw generators, let's loving go

edit: lmao, I can't make this up:

Why hello there, refugee center!

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 9, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Things are shaping up for my boy Clinton.

I love the bloody swathes you can carve in this game once you get decent armor. The most damage I took was when I wasn't paying attention to my positioning and a brute slapped my poo poo into a wall. I took like 2 damage to four body parts.

e: Of course, after posting this I immediately got into a bunch of trouble. Two dissoluted devourers grabbed both my arms, knocking both my primary and backup sword away from me. I actually switched to Aikido for the grab break, and between that and the Respirator CBM I was able to break away. And here I thought I'd never use Aikido, but here it is saving my rear end. Danced around, picked up both my weapons, and started fighting, only to have a zombie necro-boomer slip out of a house and start raising zombies I hadn't had time to pulp. Had to dash out of there and bring the mounted M249 over to clean things up. What a mess.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 11, 2024

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Today, we've given a skeletal juggernaut ultra-extreme photophobia.

Lets see if they notice.

All this is to say, my new pull request works. When it gets merged, you will be able to apply basic enchantments to monsters via effects. PR link here

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I've been getting back into this after not playing for at least 5 years, and it's really incredible what a labor of love this game is once you start to really dig into the systems.

A sometimes inconsistent, sometimes frustrating to navigate love, but there's still nothing else like it out there.

I'm trying to minimally spoil myself so I don't just beeline straight for the best armor or whatever and just react to what comes up - I've gotten myself built up to a slowly disintegrating APC, 2-4 levels in a lot of skills, and a decent arsenal from a military roadblock and then a careful prison raid. Every new level and set piece is almost overwhelming with how much in unlocks. Taking on the roadblock was a fun challenge with only a glock - I wound up getting the zombie's attention to lure them away from the vehicles and then using the mounted MG to take them out as they shuffled back, which felt entirely organic vs something you're "supposed" to do. Taking out the prison was similar - the patrol room was stuffed with around 10 cop zombies, so I carefully lured them out 1 by 1 to then efficiently take down with the rifle and ammo I got from the roadblock, days earlier.

It's not all been smooth sailing either - my closest call was letting a deranged axeman get a little too close who then put me into shock with like 2 hits, that was a very desperate fighting retreat to escape while picking off a group that was suddenly moving just a bit faster than me, and trying not to bleed out in the process. I guess technically alt+f4 once, but that was because I suddenly couldn't see while driving so I opened the door and checked outside, and a zombie ran up and hit me 10 times before I could react - turns out I was crawling and had no idea, and there was no chance to recover. That's just not understanding the UI (is there even an indicator for your current movement type?), so mulligan'ing that one felt fine to me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DarthRoblox posted:

turns out I was crawling and had no idea, and there was no chance to recover. That's just not understanding the UI (is there even an indicator for your current movement type?), so mulligan'ing that one felt fine to me.

I think it depends on your tileset. When I do any non-walk type of movement, I get a little icon above my head. That being said, the icons are tiny and blend into the terrain I'm near so it's not always perfect information.

The fact that you were crawling was also why you couldn't see. Crouching and going prone will let you fully conceal yourself against half-high walls like vehicle quarterpanels, counters, or windowsills.

e:

and a bonus one for being in the dark:

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 14, 2024

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Yea - once I realized what happened it all clicked into place, but at that point I was already doomed. It doesn't make any sense in-character that my character would do that, which is my personal bar for alt f4ing in a roguelike.

I will say the interface and information presented really shows the effect of so many different developers and projects over time - the construction menu feels very different from the crafting menu, and then tailoring or applying things is it's own mostly unique system. Once you start to get a grip on it it's easier to figure out new systems as they come up, but it's a big contributor to the brick wall of a learning curve the game has at first.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I agree, but I'm also willing to forgive a lot of interface jank because of poo poo like / that just makes your life so much easier.

Unrelated, but I made a world with the tropical cataclysm mod to see what it's like, and apparently the answer is "hotter than your character can function in long term, unless you want to live underground or do everything at night." Big fan of the generic guns mod I tried at the same time, though. My brain is broken in a way that I "get" a lot of interface weirdness but I cannot bring myself to understand or care what the difference is between the 5 million guns and 10 million kinds of ammo in the game.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
It does make me want to try a character that only uses pre WWI firearms and black powder reloads as a fun challenge. Go raid a fort for some reenactor clothes and muskets, maybe snag a cannon or two.

Actually, can you attach a cannon to a car? Or... a boat, since that seems to be a subtype of car as far as the game's concerned?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DarthRoblox posted:

It does make me want to try a character that only uses pre WWI firearms and black powder reloads as a fun challenge. Go raid a fort for some reenactor clothes and muskets, maybe snag a cannon or two.

Actually, can you attach a cannon to a car? Or... a boat, since that seems to be a subtype of car as far as the game's concerned?

You can. Cannons spawn as vehicles in the first place, and the 3-inch ordnance rifle on them can be taken off and mounted to any vehicle you choose.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You’ll have to fire your broadside one-at-a-time though, scurrying to the next loaded gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Somebody recently added craftable ballistae that you can mount on your vehicle. They can't be fired by hand, but you can stick one on a shopping cart.