Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

To go with Bite attacks, Sabretooth when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
My favorite death would be messing around with debug back when I think helicopters were introduced, or shortly thereafter.

I'm forgetting some details but I wanted to see if I could rig up vehicles with the engines from a helicopter, to see how fast they'd end up. I didn't make some death-mobile that might stand up to it, I just spawned in some basic car and slapped the engine and the necessary fuel to it. Got it up to speed and it started moving as I did so. I was more focused on getting it up to speed than paying attention to the road, flew right off it at some absurd speed, hit a giant rock, and the car disintegrated around me and I slammed into something at Mach Now.

(My favorite non-goof death? It would be just the 'That's X-Com!' levels of bad luck. Spawn in the Evac Shelter with 'No Hope' on, walk right outside, and turns out the game spawned not only NPCs but a bandit NPC 'checkpoint,' the one with like four to eight bandits with M4s in a little tower that's unique to No Hope. Like it was right outside the shelter. And the bad luck continued to roll because I tried to run back inside, took two bullets to the chest, and promptly bled out.)

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

AtomikKrab posted:

To go with Bite attacks, Sabretooth when?

I went to move the other attacks over, but I discovered that all mutation attacks are actually going to be routed through the WIP limb system, so I shouldn't keep making them use integrated items. The ones we have now are fine for proof of concept/tests/making chiropteran playable, but we're not getting any more until one of the devs is able to rewrite the attack vector system. AFAIK they are actively working on it, and the rest of the bites will be added to the limb mod at that point.

I'm not sure when the limb mod will be moved to mainline. There are a lot of blocker issues still.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mountain Lightning posted:

(My favorite non-goof death? It would be just the 'That's X-Com!' levels of bad luck. Spawn in the Evac Shelter with 'No Hope' on, walk right outside, and turns out the game spawned not only NPCs but a bandit NPC 'checkpoint,' the one with like four to eight bandits with M4s in a little tower that's unique to No Hope. Like it was right outside the shelter. And the bad luck continued to roll because I tried to run back inside, took two bullets to the chest, and promptly bled out.)

This reminds me of older versions where it was possible for the evac shelter basement to intersect with other things on that z-level so you could spawn, walk downstairs and immediately fall into lava and die :v:

Also the good old spawning in line of sight of a chicken walker

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

trying to think of another game where "bile changes are now live" is a likely changelog phrase, and coming up empty. even Qud doesn't cover it

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

DCSS is the only one I can think of.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

worm girl posted:

Filthy gear confers a -7 morale penalty (not a big deal) and can cause filthy wounds if you're injured while wearing it (also not a big deal, thanks to antiseptic being everywhere now).

Do Squeamish players have any extra effects if a piece of gear they're wearing is filth-ified while they're wearing it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My favorite death happened to my first Survivor to get anywhere. Snow was riding high after clearing out an entire resort and arming up with gear from all the undead cops she'd taken down, grabbed an excavator from a mass grave, drove off, and found a dairy farm. I was thinking 'hell yeah, dairy farm!' and had my first encounter with zows. Dear god, I've learned to fear the zow. They jumped in front of the excavator, I went flying, and then found I couldn't outrun them, didn't have enough distance and shotshells to kill them, and was run down and stomped to death by cows. It was hilarious.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I finally got over the learning hump after like a decade of bouncing off this game, and have been enjoying getting murdered in increasingly stupid ways. I had a run earlier where I started in a grocery store and almost immediately attracted attention, so I made a break for the street, found a tricycle, and then punched a zombie child, presumably its owner, before taking off down the road on it with a horde behind me. I ended up dying like 15min later but definitely my favorite run

My current run is stable, and I'm about to relocate to a more permanent location so I've been scouting on my bicycle before I drive somewhere with my limited gas. I got to the refugee center and started looking for something nearby that might suit my needs and found....

another refugee center, complete with exact copies of all the NPCs. Smokes greets me with "hello again"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

trying to think of another game where "bile changes are now live" is a likely changelog phrase, and coming up empty. even Qud doesn't cover it

Qud would call it Black Humor or something

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

On the programming front, a long standing performance issue appears to have been squashed.

You know how the game would take a while in the "verifying items" step of the loading process?

Well, that's been solved with a 35 line delta.

PR 72064 posted:

Testing

It reduces the time spent on verifying items from 12ish seconds to 2ish seconds.

This sort of thing is really cool to me.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Do Squeamish players have any extra effects if a piece of gear they're wearing is filth-ified while they're wearing it?

Code says they're supposed to, but when I tested they got the same -7 morale as anyone else. Not sure what the issue is.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

worm girl posted:

Code says they're supposed to, but when I tested they got the same -7 morale as anyone else. Not sure what the issue is.

Oh well. Really minor thing. Maybe someone else will notice it and get a bug up their rear end to make it more distinct.

Gear getting re-filthy is a nice addition. It has always struck me as wounding the verisimilitude a bit when a survivor can wade knee deep in zombie guts and bile, but never accumulate more filth. As it stands, filthiness is just a tiny preparedness test for getting armor and clothing and never matters after that. Providing a vector for worn gear to get gunked up again is great.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I submitted a PR that multiplies filth morale penalties for squeamish characters by 1.5. It also adds a new trait called Vermin that troglobite, insect, gastropod, and chimera can get that make them not care.

The trait is pre-threshold, so if you want to get it on your rat or your alpha, you can take a dip to snag it.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
a silly thing that i guarantee i'm overlooking somewhere.

in the default sidebar layout, time is always known regardless of whether i have a watch. same for weather, moon phase, etc. helpful in a trad roguelike, but feels better when earned in a survival game. is there a start or config to redact that stuff until i get the proper equipment?

e:

Inglonias posted:

Watches are not the only timekeeping devices.

didn't even consider the smartphone. i'm a moron! thanks squad

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 4, 2024

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Watches are not the only timekeeping devices. Cell phones, tablets, smartphones, etc. also provide that info.

You're not supposed to have exact time information without at least one timekeeping device. Double check your character (remove all their clothing and items from their person) and check again. If you can still see what time it is, report the bug.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

If you do the survivor start, you start with a smartphone and it has a clock to tell you exact time, yes

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
More broadly, anything on this list will let you see the time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

add crafting a crude sundial with two metal scrap and cutting implement.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Woke up to four of my PRs being reverted, one of them months old. All the boomer stuff is going away and I'm sure they'll go through and get rid of more of my work. I'm not totally sure why. Nobody else's work is being reverted, and it's being done in a way that feels personal which is odd because I don't ever talk to any of those people.

I am probably done contributing. Doing hours of unpaid coding with no guarantee it will get merged is one thing, in fact a more rigorous review process would be welcome. Having that work yanked out months later and repeatedly mischaracterized and denigrated in PR bodies is another. It just isn't worth the time or effort.

That means the lab I was working on isn't getting finished, and I won't be doing the quests or faction I had written up. Venera may eventually do mutation attacks, but all the stuff about acid and boomers is gone.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

worm girl posted:

Having that work yanked out months later and repeatedly mischaracterized and denigrated in PR bodies is another.

That is extremely bullshit and I’m sorry that you experienced it. :smith:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im mad now :(

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

worm girl posted:

Woke up to four of my PRs being reverted, one of them months old. All the boomer stuff is going away and I'm sure they'll go through and get rid of more of my work. I'm not totally sure why. Nobody else's work is being reverted, and it's being done in a way that feels personal which is odd because I don't ever talk to any of those people.

I am probably done contributing. Doing hours of unpaid coding with no guarantee it will get merged is one thing, in fact a more rigorous review process would be welcome. Having that work yanked out months later and repeatedly mischaracterized and denigrated in PR bodies is another. It just isn't worth the time or effort.

That means the lab I was working on isn't getting finished, and I won't be doing the quests or faction I had written up. Venera may eventually do mutation attacks, but all the stuff about acid and boomers is gone.

I'm gonna do what I can to ensure that stuff makes it back in, for what that's worth.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Pigbuster posted:

I'm gonna do what I can to ensure that stuff makes it back in, for what that's worth.

Thanks. The main thing I was going for was a system where liquid attacks could interact with armor layers using breathability as a resistance stat. The plan was to get all that working with filth (IMO it works great, it's just being applied too often and boomers are too common) and then from there set it up for acid. Items would use breathability to resist soaking up the acid (so, for their saving throw) then they'd use their acid resistance stat to resist getting damaged. That was also working great, I just didn't get to merge it before the whole thing was yanked away from me.

Floor acid is stupid. It is really stupid. If I splash a vial of acid at you, it is not going to puddle on the floor and hurt your feet if you're not wearing special shoes, it's going to soak into or react with the ground, unless we're standing on concrete or linoleum - but those are flat surfaces and it's a non-viscous substance, so it's going to spread out so thin that it won't matter anyway.

My plans for all of that can be seen in https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/71584 - this PR is largely complete with acid and bile both working and armor updated to properly interact with it, but had to be broken up as it had grown too big. The balance was pretty good I thought. Acid was no longer doing direct damage to characters or monsters, it was applying the corroding effect, which was updated to do more appropriate damage over time. The plan was to sharply limit or remove floor acid, and if it stayed in at all, to make it simply apply the corroding effect rather than dealing direct damage. All that was left to do after that was a material audit, and then maybe figuring out a way to give monsters more interesting interactions when hit by splash attacks (maybe using their enviro resistance in place of breathability protection? This would require giving a lot of them some enviro, but that's sensible enough).

The big plan was then to have a system where the liquid-splashing monsters created a situation where you had another thing to think about when choosing your gear. Instead of just damage+encumbrance, you'd be looking at damage+encumbrance+waterproofing, but waterproofing also traps sweat, which makes keeping cool more difficult. So deciding what to wear would be less clear cut and you'd want to put together different outfits at different times.

Lastly, I was going to go through survivor gear and redo it to mostly be nylon workwear with cut-proof kevlar liners and flexseal (which is butyl rubber, the stuff IRL gas masks and acid-resistant gloves are made of) sprayed on the outside of it, so you'd wind up like 3mm kevlar, 1mm nylon, 0.1mm rubber. Basicallly Macguyvering armor that had decent melee protection (but worse than medieval gear), decent acid protection (but worse than Hub 01 gear), poor to decent bullet protection (but worse than military gear), and still had like 10% breathability and low encumbrance. A suit that was great for fighting zombies, but didn't do any one thing better than more specialized gear. I even got about 50% of the way through making one in real life to prove that it would work.

IDK, I just like the idea of late-game survivors wearing handcrafted armor specialized for the unique challenges of the cataclysm, and using a rain poncho to protect yourself from the ubiquitous barf attacks is also a cool aesthetic.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 5, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Floor acid is indeed very stupid. The answer to floor acid is to wear diving socks. They give 10 environmental resist, which means that a humble pair of week 1 combat boots can get you over the threshold (12) to just ignore floor acid entirely. I wear them over a nomad bodymesh. It gives an additional +2 encumbrance penalty to do so, but who cares, feet encumbrance is largely pointless.

...unless, say, there's a mechanic where keeping your balance is a problem. I haven't updated my game in months because my current survivor refuses to die and I don't want to have to try to update over a sdhfillion experimental versions, but I do have the initial boomer bile changes and I like them a lot. Boomers went from a complete joke to something you actually have to plan around during fights. It's a location-based hazard that you can't just elect to ignore with a gas mask (or the buffed air filter CBM) and I appreciate that there are ways for zombies to force you to reposition.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Floor acid is indeed very stupid. The answer to floor acid is to wear diving socks. They give 10 environmental resist, which means that a humble pair of week 1 combat boots can get you over the threshold (12) to just ignore floor acid entirely. I wear them over a nomad bodymesh. It gives an additional +2 encumbrance penalty to do so, but who cares, feet encumbrance is largely pointless.

...unless, say, there's a mechanic where keeping your balance is a problem. I haven't updated my game in months because my current survivor refuses to die and I don't want to have to try to update over a sdhfillion experimental versions, but I do have the initial boomer bile changes and I like them a lot. Boomers went from a complete joke to something you actually have to plan around during fights. It's a location-based hazard that you can't just elect to ignore with a gas mask (or the buffed air filter CBM) and I appreciate that there are ways for zombies to force you to reposition.

The slippery floor stuff is being reverted with some very specious reasoning, even though it's been in for four months and the response has been pretty positive. Any attempts to get clarification or ask about reworking the mechanic have been ignored, so your sock meta is intact for the foreseeable future.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How do they decide what gets yanked and what gets put in, anyway? I get the feeling it's mostly a core clique that makes those decisions?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Night10194 posted:

How do they decide what gets yanked and what gets put in, anyway? I get the feeling it's mostly a core clique that makes those decisions?

Generally it works pretty smoothly but if Kevin or one of his pals takes umbrage to your commit for any reason it will get reverted, needless to say this has resulted in a lot of people quitting the project over the years

The main issue being that they are incredibly inconsistent on what constitutes good / acceptable changes to the game so you can do everything you're told and then still get months of work thrown down the toilet later. Which is why the game has so many issues which get ignored, because people outside of the core developer group don't want to spend time working on important but difficult coding when there's no guarantee that it will get accepted, so the majority of changes are just small things that nobody could possibly argue against like fixing the weight of objects, or just extra mod content (for obvious reasons mods get significantly more leeway with content)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

WG your contributions have been some of the more well reasoned and rounded that I have seen discussed and I much appreciated their impact on the game. It's bullshit they're getting yanked like this, what the gently caress.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
There's Kevin at the top, who has dictatorial control over the project. This is a good thing, as design by committee is practically impossible and you absolutely need one person with that kind of power and the will to use it in order to maintain thematic and mechanical consistency. Below him there's a group of developers, I'm not sure if they're ranked by seniority but they are given latitude to do pretty much whatever they want unless there's disagreement among the devs or Kevin says no. Everyone else is just a contributor with no political power whatsoever. You just throw your code into the void. If a dev likes it, they'll merge it, and if any have a problem with it, they won't. They usually work with contributors via code review to make sure things that cross the finish line are quality product that aligns with the project's goals.

I didn't see any discussion anywhere about my work on the discord, so I can only assume that in a private conversation somewhere, somebody said, "gently caress this contributor in particular." The only strong disagreement I've ever had with the devs was when I argued that renaming Psychopath but not changing anything about it was papering over the issue and calling it woke, as was done with Kaluptic Psychosis - IMO this is worse than having a politically incorrect depiction of mental illness in your game and being up front about it. They also groused at me once or twice for coming down too hard on a PR I didn't agree with in the comments, but that was probably fair. That all seemed like fairly normal creative disagreement though and not anything unusual, so who knows.

Maybe it's just a misunderstanding or a miscommunication and in a week everything will be fine and we'll have better versions of the reverted systems on the way, but if that's the case, the miscommunication has been pretty dire.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 6, 2024

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Just wanted to say that it's bullshit that they have not had the decency to at least explain their actions against your content. You've clearly put a fuckload of work into it.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I mentioned this in the subreddit, but without you there for me to pattern off of ("they're doing a thing I want to do and am capable of doing, so I probably should do that") let's not mince words: "inspire me" the monster enchantment stuff, though small, would not have gotten done. Even if you don't go back to dev work yourself, I hope you stick around. You're probably one of the best ambassadors this game has ever had.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 6, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Not to detract overmuch from the pull request stuff, damned shame that it is, but I wanted to brag: I just killed a melded task force with a sword. :smugdog: Block continues to be the best defense.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
I started playing again after a long break, and I keep running into wandering zombie hordes in pretty much every town even though I've disabled them? Is this a bug or do wandering hordes work differently now? I never play with them turned on, so I don't know how they're supposed to behave normally.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
There's now 'pre-placed' zombie hordes that spawn in some zombies when you get into 'active' range of them. I'm not entirely sure of the reason for it off-hand, though I think it's tied to some planned coding or the 'trap' zombies (i.e. corpses that rise up when you get close or make noise; you currently only see them at mass-graves right now though).

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Mountain Lightning posted:

There's now 'pre-placed' zombie hordes that spawn in some zombies when you get into 'active' range of them. I'm not entirely sure of the reason for it off-hand, though I think it's tied to some planned coding or the 'trap' zombies (i.e. corpses that rise up when you get close or make noise; you currently only see them at mass-graves right now though).

Gotcha! So are these hordes gone for good once they move on/get splatted or is it more like a spawner? And what's the difference between having wandering hordes on or off now?

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Izzy posted:

Gotcha! So are these hordes gone for good once they move on/get splatted or is it more like a spawner? And what's the difference between having wandering hordes on or off now?

Once they're spawned, that horde trigger is gone, though the zombies will remain if you cut and run. This doesn't interfere with wandering hordes save that I think the zombies join the horde pool or whatever once they're spawned.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

that’s a real downer to hear worm girl. i’ve enjoyed all of your contributions. seems to me like you’ve added nothing but depth where it makes sense and sanity where needed. all good stuff. open source projects are always huge pains. good learning experiences, generally, but good lord do people get weird sometimes

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Sorry to hear about the weirdos. From the experimental notes, they took offense at drunk/altered state of mind/offmeds being protective or a good idea against flaming eyes and yanked everything else out you contributed recently. :|

on a more mechanical note, how does the mutation system work? i rolled random and got a post thresh hold mutant start and found a barrel of mutagen on my way out of the labs. I have no idea how that stuff works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

winterwerefox posted:

Sorry to hear about the weirdos. From the experimental notes, they took offense at drunk/altered state of mind/offmeds being protective or a good idea against flaming eyes and yanked everything else out you contributed recently. :|

Especially confused by this one. He uses some very strong language to say that it's morally abhorrent to depict alcohol granting a measure of resistance to psychic attack, and that it's "extremely problematic" to suggest that mental illness could do so. He also says that I'm encouraging people to go off their meds. Like, real life people.

Setting aside that psychic attacks aren't real and this is a game with traits that give you massive mood bonuses for killing and eating innocent people alongside language about getting off on it, they changed Schizophrenia to Kaluptic Psychosis precisely so that it could do weird apocalypse things. The whole point of the name change is that it isn't schizophrenia, it's a unique reaction to some combination of the blob affecting everyone's brains and the worsening dimensional instability. It's not a real illness and is in fact actually magic sci fi bullshit, so how is it "problematic" if it grants some benefit to the character? How am I "encouraging people to go off their meds" by saying a nonexistent magical disease might protect them from fictional aliens if they don't take a drug for it?

I'm also not sure how it would be problematic if a non-fantasy mental illness provided some bonus against psychic attack. As a mentally ill person myself, I think it would actually be tight as hell.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 7, 2024