Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
Sincere thanks for the container help, sometimes I feel like I spend more time moving poo poo around or packaging stuff than fighting or exploring.

Problem is I thought I would be smart lad and put all my antiseptic in a single jug and just haul that around. Then, during one of my mass dumping of containers, I ended up thoroughly disinfecting all my food with like a gallon of med supplies. At least I learned that a mop can clean spills like real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

There's definitely a part of me that loves having a home base for that reason, sitting on a well organized stock pile takes a while but it can feel really amazing to have supplies for any eventuality, and enough food to just sit a bad season out and study.

To that end, I usually play with Magiclysm, so my characters tend to spend a lot more time inside studying or recouping spent mana as they can't fight well without proper rest and time spent in safety. If you mix in the Xedra Evolved mod there's even more incentive to stay home and study or craft, so learning how to wrangle sorting and zones and a tidy dwelling becomes fairly important.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Izzy posted:

So um...

...any idea why they can't just call this thing a box of tampons?

It's also worth noting that as trade goods, those are basically as good as gold. Even if you don't need the materials, horde those things.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I mean, I don't think many jews would disagree

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Got a mission to find a relic, and apparently, the Torah didnt count

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I'll be damned. I was considering requiring a smartphone or an actual camera to scan books for e-ink tablets, just to be funny and a pain in the rear end, but it looks like my evil plans have been thwarted by reality. It did not occur to me that modern e-ink tablets would have a document scanner.

For the record, this evil plan made it no further than this thread. No issues, no PRs

Looking back at this a few hours later, I don't know why I thought this would be a good idea in the first place.

The moral of this story is that if you're going to do something to piss people off, maybe stop and consider a good reason for it first, and if you can't find one, don't do it.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 12, 2024

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

This would have worked if you had shouted "I kick rear end for the lord!" before getting up.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Started a new game, using what ive figured out about the mutation system and so on. im cheating, but using it to learn. anyway. starting as a carnivore, my day one was literally this.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

It's worth mentioning that docs are being written up to try to prevent more incidents like the ones that occurred in the last few weeks - I'm planning to review these docs very closely and do everything I can to make sure they get read.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dang but are there a lot of zombies in a military base. I had to shoot a lot of 5.56 to clear this sumbitch out. Might have been easier if I hadn't drove up to it in broad daylight and start blasting, but gently caress it, we ball. I didn't take any damage, save for losing 60% of my torso health at once while doing a stupid grenade trick.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Inglonias posted:

It's worth mentioning that docs are being written up to try to prevent more incidents like the ones that occurred in the last few weeks - I'm planning to review these docs very closely and do everything I can to make sure they get read.

A few documents won't do anything to change the managerial style that has been a nonstop source of complaints for the entire time I've been aware of the game. If the devs are simply not paying attention to what the contributors and the merge team are doing, then it doesn't matter what it says in a text file somewhere.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

woo! Taco truck hooked up to some solar arrays and a large storage batter plus a recharging station! i can freeze food and charge batteries, i am a god of ice and lightning! :v:

Edit: gently caress me, my hunter brought back 2 hadrosaurs, i cannot store this much!

Double Edit: gently caress i was so occupied preserving and butchering the first one, the second got up and trashed my solar array!

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 16, 2024

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

winterwerefox posted:

Double Edit: gently caress i was so occupied preserving and butchering the first one, the second got up and trashed my solar array!

Yeah it helps that even if you don't intend to use the skin, that you skin your kills quick if you don't pulp bodies. I think that prevents reviving. So does field-dressing them I think.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Field dressing also slows decay. I like to field dress everything, quarter it if it's too hard to Jenga into my vehicle otherwise, then take my kills home and full butcher them there.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

This was from my NPC bringing them back to my camp with the hunt large game BB mission, I just got too focused on what to do with the hundreds of meat the one gave me, i lost track of time to start on the second. it's all good, ended up with about 400 jerky and 15 gallons of animal cooking oil. the freezer is packed with the organ meats. the solar panels got moved to the roof

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Finally got all the stuff together I needed to start mutations. Went with some Alpha mutations at first. Managed to get 11 good mutations and 1 bad one. Most critically, I got Robust Genetics, which means my mutation cooldown reduces from 1200 days to 48. Not sure if I should push post-threshold Alpha, as the benefits aren't really that great. I wouldn't get any Strength out of it at all, since thanks to Stats From Kills, the +2 stat boost CBM, and the +2 Str from the Alpha line, I already have a Strength of 22. The post-thresh Alpha stat bonuses are such that they do more the further below 18 you are in a stat, with a maximum of +2 bonus if you're already there. They replace Very Strong, so it would essentially mean zero gain. I guess the extra Dex and Perception would be nice.

Weighing what I should work towards next. The Medical line has a lot of goodies if I do a shallow dip, but Troglodite is also very compelling. I have all of the armor alloy CBMs, so a bunch of the body horror mutations are off the table unless I go and get them removed. Expanded Digestion is also installed, which means diet-related mutations won't work. (Expanded Digestion can't be removed.)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I think trog is your basic "I want to go post thresh but don't want to get any weird limbs or growths" option. The only negatives which you retain post-thresh are sunlight sensitivity and -2 dex in exchange for 6 strength, full night vision, regen, 50% pain resist and some other stuff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Field dressing also slows decay. I like to field dress everything, quarter it if it's too hard to Jenga into my vehicle otherwise, then take my kills home and full butcher them there.

I think you’ve been playing Jenga wrong.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Subjunctive posted:

I think you’ve been playing Jenga wrong.

You aren't supposed to build Jenga towers out of cow quarters? :confused:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I found an artifact that gives +20 speed when worn. :pwn: It's a deputy badge, too, so it is zero encumbrance and wearable with anything.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

+20 speed
-you're a cop.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

After taking some alpha primer, my character has been dreaming about unlimited success and leading cities, so being a cop is certainly on-brand :v:

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Someone on the worm discord said that if you have a post-thresh Alpha follower, there should be a chance when you go to sleep that you just wake up playing as them and your original character is gone. That would be annoying and is not actually a good idea, but it would also be really funny.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

worm girl posted:

Someone on the worm discord said that if you have a post-thresh Alpha follower, there should be a chance when you go to sleep that you just wake up playing as them and your original character is gone. That would be annoying and is not actually a good idea, but it would also be really funny.

Maybe someone will be inspired to add it to Crazy Cata

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I am annoyed i found 2 copies of cyborg martial arts in this labs armories. i dont have any cbms dang it.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

So I'm playing magiclysm for the first time in a while, and it looks like they nerfed the loot out of goblin camps since last I played. So what's the best way to earn $15K for a ring of speed +10 and other cool stuff?

edit: the Lizard swamps are pretty good. Fairly easy to clear out the first level, and it had like 200 denarii and more dragon scales than I could carry.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 21, 2024

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

worm girl posted:

lmfao

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Do vehicle parts like steel plate armor sections have damage threshhold like gun safes and other objects in the world, or are they just giant piles of hp and a zombie waif will eventually chew through the side of my swat van i spent all summer learning how to build and retrofit?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
They have HP and armor, like a monster. Damage that doesn't beat their armor won't hurt them, but if it does, they'll take damage that will persist until they're repaired.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vehicle parts can also sustain permanent damage, so you will have to replace things eventually. This doesn't matter as much for stuff like armor platings and boards and stuff, but irreplaceable parts like engines are another story.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I picked up on parts having permanent damage, Ive got a bunch of || parts to go with my ++ ive been salvaging off other things, replacing engines, controls, etc, adding shock absorbers, and a few |\ tires and heavy frame sections when i ran out of anything better. then i converted the thing from 7.5 tons and 4 wheels to 6.5 tons and 10 wheels with two 4 wheel rear axles to get the ground pressure up. I ended up spending most of the summer losing weight while eating 6-7k calories a day workin on the sucker. Lots of false starts and oh poo poo thats how that works doing and undoing as i messed with the vehicle build system. my next project with it now that it has a m249 turret and a spiked ram is to extend it one square for more cargo, so its got a 4x3 bed vs the 3x3 it had. maainly because it feels right with the twin rear axle set up i have. and find offroad tires. im at 50% offroad now, but more is better.

in a moment of deeerp I was trying to build a rim world cold room style freezer by salvaging AC units and when that didnt work, building a vehicle cold room pod with salvaged AC systems, while walking past the junk yard that had chest freezers and fridges i could take and plug into my grid to store the year of food I ended up with from two carnivores killing each other while walking past a dinosaur petting zoo.

Is there any down side to always lighting fungus patches on fire? I ran into a fungal bloom, lit it on fire, watches the fire unable to get the tower at the center and helped fire win with a couple grenades. I ended up with a lupin muzzle, so i cant wear breathing masks @_@

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

winterwerefox posted:

Is there any down side to always lighting fungus patches on fire? I ran into a fungal bloom, lit it on fire, watches the fire unable to get the tower at the center and helped fire win with a couple grenades. I ended up with a lupin muzzle, so i cant wear breathing masks @_@

The only inhalant danger from fire is regular-rear end smoke, so there's no weird fungal spore thing that you cause by starting fires. What's more deadly is usually just the hot air around the fires.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Thats good. Ive lost runs when first starting by inhaling spores and having my arms explode after puking out for two or three days when i started in a fungal infected lab room.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

winterwerefox posted:

All survivor masks fit over muzzles, so you can craft one of those potentially. You don't even need XL, unless you're huge.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
Is there a guide or general tips for getting into mutations if you're not starting in a lab / TCL? It's one part of the game I've never really touched, like, ever. Should you scour for TCL ASAP, go digging around the subways for labs?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

normal sized, just gonna take me 2 days putting it together. Had all the stuff in my lockers.

edit:
What I know about mutations is after a bunch of trial and error and drinking things i should not have, you need primer and catalyst to perform permanent mutations. if you load up on primer and dont catalyze it, you get stat changes based on the primer. if you perform a primer catalyst combo too soon after your last go, you get drawbacks. it feels about 3 days between if you have robust genetics. robust genetics also gives a change to negate flaws before they form, judging by the messages that go 'you feel a change welling up, but it fades.' its about ever half hour it checks to see if you mutate while you have enough mutagen in your system. If you start having dreams about things an animal does, you are getting closer to your threshhold, and once you go over that, you are that. so if you want the huge line, you should go cow or bear, for instance. others can get big, with very tall or inconveniently large, but with drawbacks as the good big mutations are post threshhold.

all my mutation stuff has been radiation or finding vials and experimenting

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 25, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

Is there a guide or general tips for getting into mutations if you're not starting in a lab / TCL? It's one part of the game I've never really touched, like, ever. Should you scour for TCL ASAP, go digging around the subways for labs?

I believe the ideal combo is one primer, two catalyst. You can do this twice. When it's done, you want to wait until your genome effect goes away, then you can do it again. You will only ever get negative mutations as prereqs to positive/neutral mutations if you do this.

Yes, that's silly. A better system is in the works, but for now even just doing that once or twice will usually net you a ton of great mutations.

TCL has the most mutagen in it, but it can take you 2 or 3 days to even get to it, and it's full of very hard enemies. The subway labs aren't guaranteed to have anything and they mostly are crammed with ridiculous numbers of enemies. So take your pick really. Mutagen mostly comes in boxes now, so don't assume there isn't any just because you don't see vials sitting out.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, if you don't have Robust Genetics, I highly recommend Alpha as your starting mutation line. You have a very good chance of getting it with the first 10 mutations you can acquire before you accrue too much genetic damage and start getting bad ones. Robust Genetics decreases the time you have to spend between mutation sessions by a huge amount. Also, if you DON'T get it in the first 10, the downsides for the Alpha tree aren't too bad. My character had to push past 10 mutations to secure Robust Genetics, and I picked up Highly Vain too. Not a big deal; baby just gets pissy when he has to wear face armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

worm girl posted:

I believe the ideal combo is one primer, two catalyst. You can do this twice. When it's done, you want to wait until your genome effect goes away, then you can do it again. You will only ever get negative mutations as prereqs to positive/neutral mutations if you do this.

Yes, that's silly. A better system is in the works, but for now even just doing that once or twice will usually net you a ton of great mutations.

TCL has the most mutagen in it, but it can take you 2 or 3 days to even get to it, and it's full of very hard enemies. The subway labs aren't guaranteed to have anything and they mostly are crammed with ridiculous numbers of enemies. So take your pick really. Mutagen mostly comes in boxes now, so don't assume there isn't any just because you don't see vials sitting out.

I didn't recall the mutagen just spawning, only a variety of samples to cook up your own but I'm likely just misremembering.

I was more wondering how to get the books for cooking it up. I thought the notes only spawned in TCL, subway labs, and overworld labs, although looking at the Hitchhiker's guide it also looks like Retirement Homes have a decent chance of spawning them?