Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've just started shooting Polaroid in an SX-70 I got 600 modded and boy do I really like it.

Anyway, post your instant photography here, it's fun as hell

Megabound fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Anyway, I'm thinking about digital representations of instant photos and I don't think I've landed on the answer yet. I like highlighting the physicality of the object, but the scans are nice too.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Oh hey! I got a SX-70 a few years back but just got around to giving it the servicing it needed (and the 600 conversion). Don’t have many digitized but I’ve been using it on the baby

Megabound posted:

Anyway, I'm thinking about digital representations of instant photos and I don't think I've landed on the answer yet. I like highlighting the physicality of the object, but the scans are nice too.

Don’t know if good or bad but I’ve just been taking phone pics in the most indirect light I can manage

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
A few older ones

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you are ever in the Milwaukee area, check out Retrospekt, they specialize in Polaroid cameras https://retrospekt.com

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I sprung for the new i2 camera when it came out but I've honestly barely used it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm currently using an Autofocus 660, and a OneStep Flash. Both were thrift store finds, and I think I'm going to take the Autofocus 660 to the above-mentioned Retrospekt tomorrow for a CLA. I might bring the OneStep with too, and see what they'll give me for it, since I dont really need two very similar cameras

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Got to Retrospekt today. Sold them the flash, gave the autofocus to them for CLA. Turns out they give you a discount on a CLA if you’re local, so that’s cool

Also picked up some 35mm Portra 800 they had, so between Polaroid and Kodak, the thread title holds true

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

I like these better than scans. Room reflection on the picture is a very Polaroid experience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Got to Retrospekt today. Sold them the flash, gave the autofocus to them for CLA. Turns out they give you a discount on a CLA if you’re local, so that’s cool

Also picked up some 35mm Portra 800 they had, so between Polaroid and Kodak, the thread title holds true

Got the camera back from Retrospekt today. I really like how they handle the CLA. They put it in a box representative of the camera (of course, its what they'd sell you the same camera in, but I appreciate the gesture)

They even send along a manual for the camera and some stickers.

Mine didnt have a ton wrong with it, but the couple things that needed attention were quite important to the function of the camera. I think I know now why it was scratching the prints as they came out, since they refurbed the geartrain

If you're in need of a Polaroid CLA, I can recommend them, I'm super happy with mine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They also sent it back with the used film cartridge included that I sent it with. I figured the 3 remaining shots in it were junk because taking it out would introduce light leaks. I assumed they would junk the cartridge.

Nope, they sent it back. It of course does have light leaks around the edges from being handled, but why waste them?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I just saw that Mint makes a TLR that shoots instax which sounds stupid and fun but $399 feels a bit much for a lark (albeit fitting for the thread title)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That looks really fun and price wise is competitive with a serviced SX70.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

this one is just sublime. The pic is nice too

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

e: double post

Megabound fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 17, 2024

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's called one step not two post!

That bird one is really cool how did you get that close

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sulphurs are just pretty chill birds. I spotted it in the tree then just walked up to it.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Any pack film tips? I just picked this up from Goodwill:

I already know I need to convert it to AA and make sure there aren’t any light leaks.

I have four packs of FP100C squirreled away in the fridge from back when it was discontinued. At least one pack and some of these flash bulbs will be saved until my sister’s kids are old enough to appreciate seeing something go extinct in front of their eyes.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Remembered that I have the mint lens kit so went playing around with the close-in lens. Unfortunately I have a sx-70 sonar so manual focus is a bit of a crapshoot

And revisited an old shot with better exposure

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
So I got here from the forum announcement. Are you telling me I can get film for the old Polaroid camera I have on my "obsolete technology" shelf?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It depends on what camera but probably yeah

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
My daughter, who is 6, just took a photography class at the local art museum. They used Polaroids. It is crazy how every photo she took looks just like one I would have taken as a child. I kind of want to get her a Polaroid now but I know she will just wreck me on film.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Instax mini is a much cheaper way in than full fat polaroids. There's also instax printers you can use so you can take your photo on any other camera and then print it to an instant photo which is cool. You should get her any camera tho. The digital point and shoots where USB started to be a thing is a great era, like the Canon IXUS series.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Megabound posted:

Instax mini is a much cheaper way in than full fat polaroids. There's also instax printers you can use so you can take your photo on any other camera and then print it to an instant photo which is cool. You should get her any camera tho. The digital point and shoots where USB started to be a thing is a great era, like the Canon IXUS series.

Something to keep in mind is that the Instax Mini format is very small (46x62mm), the full photo including the frame is about credit card-sized. Instax also has the Instax Square (62x62mm) and Instax Wide (99x62mm), but both the cameras and the film for those are more expensive than the Mini format.

IME Polaroids have a particular vintage-like look and feel to them when it comes to the prints, something that the Instax lacks. This could be either a pro or a con depending on how you want your photos to look.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
This is the Polaroid camera I have. I think it's from the late 90s. It's been sitting closed on a shelf for years with other obsolete tech (like two late 90s cellphones and an 8-track tape). I'm excited to learn I might be able to use it again!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Oh yeah, that takes readily available 600 film. Just clean the rollers with isopropyl first and it'll most likely be good to go

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah that's really easy to get. Hell, there's almost certainly a big box store near you that has some film for it sitting on the shelf right now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

big black turnout posted:

Yeah that's really easy to get. Hell, there's almost certainly a big box store near you that has some film for it sitting on the shelf right now

I literally didn’t realize this! I just checked and my local Walmart has 600 color in stock! I was gonna order online but now I can just swing by there.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Shoulda used the flash which isn’t syncing well

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's very strange being able to walk into Officeworks and pick up film for my 50 year old camera but I'm here for it.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I was just in a target and they have a whole shelving section dedicated to instant photography. 600 and i type film, instax mini (of course), and even instax wide

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
When it first came out I took a road trip to WV with an instax wide as my main camera. I'll post some choice cuts when I get home.
WV instamax https://imgur.com/a/azUdG8T

Imgur in the app is giving me trouble so here's a link to the album for now

majour333 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 23, 2024

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I understand the thread title now. It's around $3 per picture ($22ish for a pack of 8). This is going to get expensive fast.

Of course the first Polaroid picture I've taken in about 20 years is of my cat

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yep! Buy 5 packs of you can they're worth the savings. It's pretty rainy outside today so maybe no new Polaroids this weekend.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Weather was a bit poo poo so only 3 Polaroids this weekend.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 26, 2024

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Yellow filter + dark background + fast exposure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Mega, have you tried doing a polaroid emulsion lift print? I've seen a bunch of them pop up on an alternative printing facebook page I follow. Only really seems like something you'd try if:

- You like the rough edge print aesthetic
- You want to put the emulsion onto a different substrate (e.g. glass)
- You want to do some kind of multiple-exposure collage/panorama/overlay effect