Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Mods posted:

Welcome to USCE 2024. This is for discussing current events in the united states. For current events happening elsewhere that may be related to US policy, see Israel/Palestine, Middle East, War in Ukraine, and others you find in the forum index. For more in-depth discussion of issues related to US current events, please use relevant threads when they exist. These include Climate Change, SCOTUS, 2024 GOP primary, and the newly made Electoral Politics and Political Strategies.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Great OP

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I like your choice of thread title.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Kith posted:

tired of waiting for the mods to do it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Crossposting from the pseudoscience thread. The bolded names are figures who also come up in my nearly-finished "To Unfrock the Charlatans" posting project on pseudoscientific racism manipulating public and scientific discourse.

Activist who led ouster of Harvard president linked to ‘scientific racism’ journal

quote:

The rightwing activist Christopher Rufo has links to a self-styled “sociobiology magazine” that is focused on the supposed relationships between race, intelligence and criminality, and which experts have characterized as an outlet for scientific racism.

[...]

According to the newsletter’s own archives, Aporia was a March 2023 rebrand of Ideas Sleep Furiously, hitherto the personal newsletter of Briton Matthew Archer, now styled “editor in chief” of Aporia.

At that time, Aporia’s newly appointed “executive editor”, Bo Winegard, commenced his tenure with an article, titled Human Biodiversity: A Moderate’s Manifesto, in which he discussed purported “evidence that human populations vary in intelligence, as measured by IQ tests, partially because of genes”.

“Human biodiversity” gives its name to both a movement and a research paradigm that the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) describes as the “latest iteration of a long tradition of scientific racism”.

Kevin Bird, a geneticist and a postdoctoral research fellow at UC Davis, said “‘human biodiversity’ is their euphemism for race science”, and added that “scientifically, Winegard has never done anything of note in this area”.

Winegard, a psychologist, was by his own account fired by Georgia’s Marietta College in March 2020 after a seminar he gave to a research group at the University of Alabama attracted protests and coverage in student media.

In that speech an audience member reportedly said that Winegard told his listeners that “people in colder climates, because of differences in brain size, have more propensity for cooperation”.

Winegard has continued to write in this vein on Aporia up to the present. In a 3 January article on the site titled “Yes, we should talk about race differences”, he wrote: “Thus, we must be honest about race. And that means we begin by noting that in the United States (and elsewhere in the world), different races have different average levels of intelligence as measured by IQ tests (and other measures of cognitive ability).”

As proof of this claim, Winegard cites researchers including the late Richard Lynn – a white nationalist, according to the SPLC – and the late Arthur Jensen, whom the SPLC calls “arguably the father of modern academic racism”.
[...]

Another Aporia editor, Noah Carl, has also been the subject of previous academic controversy.

Carl is a sociologist who in 2018 was stripped of a postdoctoral fellowship at Cambridge University after the college that appointed him discovered that alongside his more legitimate work in sociology, he had simultaneously been publishing scientific-racist articles in outlets notorious for peddling scientific racism.

One of the outlets Carl published in, Mankind Quarterly, was founded “to make scientific racism respectable again”, according to the writer Angela Saini. It was for decades funded by the white nationalist Pioneer Fund, and the journal has been described as a “cornerstone of the scientific racism establishment”.

Another venue, OpenPsych, is a platform established by Emil OW Kirkegaard, a self-described eugenicist who explicitly advocates “race science”, and who serves as a senior fellow at the Ulster Institute for Social Research (UISR), an organization once headed by Richard Lynn – the same researcher whose data led to Winegard’s retraction.

[...]

The full article is free.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
If all of these tax bills pass, then the cumulative changes for this tax year would be:

- $400 more refundable tax credit per child.

- The child tax credit amount will start scaling with inflation after 2025, rounded up to the nearest $100.

- You can use your current year or last year's income to determine eligibility for the child tax credit and take the lower amount.

- Small businesses can write off double the amount of depreciation through 2025.

- Renews business tax credits for research and development costs, interest payments, and capital investments from the Trump tax bill that were set to expire until 2025.

- Removes the "marriage penalty" for the SALT deduction and allows you to get double the credit if you file jointly (no changes to the actual SALT credit amount or cap) instead of needing to file your taxes separately to claim the credit for each person.

There are also provisions for housing subsidies, but those are not going to impact individual or business income taxes this year.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

wait, you can just...make threads?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Yes, Something Awful forum members can generally make new threads. Unless you're talking about Kith specifically, in which case I agree, it's a major oversight to allow them to make new threads.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Spin the wheel, see what happens.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yes, Something Awful forum members can generally make new threads. Unless you're talking about Kith specifically, in which case I agree, it's a major oversight to allow them to make new threads.

agreed

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

It contains all the info people will read before posting.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I thought i got probed for making threads!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Cimber posted:

I thought i got probed for making threads!

Maybe you get probed because you dress like a trollop.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

This ambition in making a new thread pleases Tzeentch greatly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I get probed for 15 minutes every time I make a thread, probably just a coincidence though

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Eric Cantonese posted:

Maybe you get probed because you dress like a trollop.

Hey, whats wrong with showing a little bit of ankle and maybe even some calve?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thom12255 posted:

Is this regardless of your income? And is this just shifting what is refundable and non-refundable in the $2000 available?

Yes, it is moving the refundable amount. Up to $2,000 by 2025 and then pegging it to inflation afterwards.

The total amount is still $2,000, but if you were low-income* before and didn't qualify for the non-refundable part, then you will get $400** (or slightly more if you have multiple qualifying kids and a certain amount of income).

If you were higher-income and already took advantage of the refundable and non-refundable portion, then you will get slightly less (around $300 at the end) because it would be the difference between what the non-refundable $400 was vs. getting all of that $400 back.

Edit: *If you make less than $2,500 per year, you are excluded though. That is the threshold for the benefit calculation and wasn't changed.

** This is the amount for 2025. The backdated amount that you can claim for 2023 or 2022 income is only an extra $200 this year.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 31, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Good on Kith, drat mods were gonna let it roll right into Feb 2024 and still have it be USCE 2023. We're 1/12 through the year already!

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
We need a few thread-specific IKs or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheDisreputableDog posted:

This is America. We need to elect an Idiot President.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

In America, wouldn't the idiot president be chosen in smoky back rooms, not actually elected? Check mate, liberals

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The mods were probably still work shopping their 400 word OP through committee in an attempt to contain the clusterfuck that will be this year.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WarpedLichen posted:

The mods were probably still work shopping their 400 word OP through committee in an attempt to contain the clusterfuck that will be this year.

There Will Be Probes

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

The Idiot Electoral College - each subforum is allotted votes to vote a Idiot President for USCE.

I will vote for the person who will personally probe chain the people I don't like. In no way will this come back to haunt me.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

thanks for volunteering

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mooseontheloose posted:

The Idiot Electoral College - each subforum is allotted votes to vote a Idiot President for USCE.

I will vote for the person who will personally probe chain the people I don't like. In no way will this come back to haunt me.

This seems really unfair and dilutes the power of the high-population forums

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Velocity Raptor posted:

It contains all the info people will read before posting.

i didnt even read it,personally

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/30/kyrsten-sinema-donations-00138738

quote:

Sinema’s fundraising plummets as reelection decision deadline nears

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema’s (I-Ariz.) fundraising cratered to her lowest quarterly total yet this cycle as she stares down an April deadline to file for reelection.

The independent Arizona senator raised just $595,000 in the final three months of 2023, according to a report filed by her campaign with the Federal Election Commission late Tuesday. That is less than one-fifth of the total that her main Democratic challenger, Rep. Ruben Gallego, said his campaign raised during the same period. Her likely Republican challenger, Kari Lake, reported raising $2 million.

And Sinema spent $749,000 during that same time period, which means her cash-on-hand total dropped slightly, though still resembling an impressive sum. (Contribution refunds alone took out more than 10% of her fundraising haul.)

The Sinema situation is still so weird to me. She torched her career in politics for....? what exactly? With Manchin I can understand that he was playing up the "Dem but not toeing the line" for his increasingly red district.

What exactly was Kyrsten Sinema's 5D chess plan here?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

That is why I hereby submit for consideration a motion to implement the 3/5ths lurker compromise.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

The Sinema situation is still so weird to me. She torched her career in politics for....? what exactly? With Manchin I can understand that he was playing up the "Dem but not toeing the line" for his increasingly red district.

She was going to try to be the new McCain.

She probably disregarded lots of conventional advice on her way up and it got her a Senate seat. I think she thought her reasoning would prevail once again.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

According to her friends and campaign staff: She legitimately thought she was going to be the first female President and possibly the first independent President by riding a career as a maverick like John McCain. She kept following her heart and not listening to people all throughout her career and she went from a part-time community college teacher and green party activist to the Senate in 7 years. So, she figured she knew what she was doing.

Now, it seems like she is operating mostly out of some combination of spite, attention, and opportunity to cash out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The new Twitter/X CEO just testified that Twitter saw a 6x increase in child sexual content after Musk took over, but that they also have increased the number of accounts banned for child sexual content by 6x.

I'm guessing the complete lack of enforcement for the first 6 months when Elon fired everyone and a general vibe that it was free rein over at Twitter caused it, but it is still bonkers that pedophiles basically were 6x more comfortable (or possibly 6x more productive) with posting that content just from Elon taking over, even though Elon never said anything about X (or the federal government) being cool with it now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Very concerning, looking into it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The new Twitter/X CEO just testified that Twitter saw a 6x increase in child sexual content after Musk took over, but that they also have increased the number of accounts banned for child sexual content by 6x.

I'm guessing the complete lack of enforcement for the first 6 months when Elon fired everyone and a general vibe that it was free rein over at Twitter caused it, but it is still bonkers that pedophiles basically were 6x more comfortable (or possibly 6x more productive) with posting that content just from Elon taking over, even though Elon never said anything about X (or the federal government) being cool with it now.
Well it certainly would have helped if Musk’s first action at Twitter wasn’t to just arbitrarily fire 75% of the people who worked there without any regard to who was important for the site to operate

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/FFRF/status/1752719948139442193

Who had "Someone is actually held accountable for hate crimes against Satan" on their bingo card for 2024?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Speaking of plummeting numbers:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1752670573279293943

TL;DR: Trump is leading Biden in every swing state according to this latest round of polls from Morning Consult.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

Pet Island will not be ignored. Nor will the good people of Poker is Totally Rigged.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well it certainly would have helped if Musk’s first action at Twitter wasn’t to just arbitrarily fire 75% of the people who worked there without any regard to who was important for the site to operate

She says that under Musk, X/Twitter is doing even more to combat it and has even fewer violating posts than in 2020 and that initial hiccup was proof of their ability to handle it.

I have no idea how they are measuring it because it is testimony and they aren't providing any numbers.

Lindsay Graham has spent his entire time begging them to confirm that they will fight for Donald Trump's right to privacy and protect his DMs from law enforcement subpoenas and to protect Trump from all the false slander he sees going on about him online. Just sad.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Some cushy board seats from companies she helped out along the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She says that under Musk, X/Twitter is doing even more to combat it and has even fewer violating posts than in 2020 and that initial hiccup was proof of their ability to handle it.

I have no idea how they are measuring it because it is testimony and they aren't providing any numbers.

Lindsay Graham has spent his entire time begging them to confirm that they will fight for Donald Trump's right to privacy and protect his DMs from law enforcement subpoenas and to protect Trump from all the false slander he sees going on about him online. Just sad.
I’m sure they also didn’t mention that Elon was happy to pay and also unban a guy who posted CSAM on Twitter last year