Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

B B posted:

Speaking of plummeting numbers:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1752670573279293943

TL;DR: Trump is leading Biden in every swing state according to this latest round of polls from Morning Consult.

It's Morning Consult. Their state polls have always been wacky.

Their own general election poll also has Biden leading nationally by 2, which is absolutely not possible if he is losing every state by 5-10.

Their Pennsylvania numbers are 10.5 points off from the two most recent other polls of PA.

https://www.politicspa.com/poll-biden-leads-trump-casey-holds-edge-on-mccormick/130944/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to her friends and campaign staff: She legitimately thought she was going to be the first female President and possibly the first independent President by riding a career as a maverick like John McCain. She kept following her heart and not listening to people all throughout her career and she went from a part-time community college teacher and green party activist to the Senate in 7 years. So, she figured she knew what she was doing.

Now, it seems like she is operating mostly out of some combination of spite, attention, and opportunity to cash out.

I’d love to hear the full train of thought spelled out. Like, I can kind of get how she imagined the presidency thing working out, because “I’m going to be the independent maverick that gets in because I just talk so much sense and am so obviously right, and people will like that I’m not beholden to either party” isn’t exactly an uncommon delusion. But where did she see “loudly renege in my campaign promises and espoused principles” being something that worked for her prior supporters.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Lord of Hats posted:

I’d love to hear the full train of thought spelled out. Like, I can kind of get how she imagined the presidency thing working out, because “I’m going to be the independent maverick that gets in because I just talk so much sense and am so obviously right, and people will like that I’m not beholden to either party” isn’t exactly an uncommon delusion. But where did she see “loudly renege in my campaign promises and espoused principles” being something that worked for her prior supporters.

John McCain annoyed people in both parties. This made him popular among certain voters and the national media. He won his party's nomination for President.

She can do the same thing.

It's not especially complicated or accurate, but there was a clear logic process.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Sinema is gonna expire wealthy and surrounded by her beloved child blood donors and sex slaves, like all of our ruling class. Sumner Redstone-style.

She may not be clear on what her career will look like going forward, but she has absolutely no doubts the sinecure is secure.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

John McCain annoyed people in both parties. This made him popular among certain voters and the national media. He won his party's nomination for President.

She can do the same thing.

It's not especially complicated or accurate, but there was a clear logic process.
She also failed to realize that this isn’t the 1990s/early 2000s anymore and that most moderates are looked at with disdain by your average informed voter

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Lose some old voters and get new ones?

I think it is hard for people to see past their generational cohorts and personal experiences. Older people more used to crossing party lines or splitting tickets are only just beginning to see how little that happens among younger people now. Certain states like Arizona and Georgia and Florida have changed massively from what they used to be.

I think a big generational divide (with age-correlated blind spots) is at plat in how the debate within America over Israel and Palestine is playing out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

She also failed to realize that this isn’t the 1990s/early 2000s anymore and that most moderates are looked at with disdain by your average informed voter

its less moderate and more shithead ur centrist blue dog when the party base of her state is pretty progressive and she didnt try to make inroads. manchin survived because he played to his base but could make deals. sinema didnt. sinema forgot her state base does actually matter and not her being manic pixi austerity girl.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 31, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FlamingLiberal posted:

More importantly she fell hard for McCain hype, which was mostly bullshit, and didn't understand that the brand was "slightly less evil Republican" not "ex democrat who does whatever has a dollar sign in front of it."

But she was dumb enough to fall for the smell of her own farts and there were a lot of lobbyists waiving a lot of bills at her while telling her she smelled like roses and new cars.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its less moderate and more shithead ur centrist blue dog when the party base of her state is pretty progressive and she didnt try to make inroads. manchin survived because he played to his base but could make deals. sinema didnt.

I might be wrong, but it seemed to me that Arizona had a big influx of new people that changed the political landscape and I can see why that caught Sinema by surprise. (Her failure to adapt to that is totally on her though.)

If anything, West Virginia has the opposite phenomenon, with a net exodus.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Kith posted:

thanks for volunteering

If given buttons I would only use them on current or former mods, lol.

amab

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

I might be wrong, but it seemed to me that Arizona had a big influx of new people that changed the political landscape and I can see why that caught Sinema by surprise. (Her failure to adapt to that is totally on her though.)

If anything, West Virginia has the opposite phenomenon, with a net exodus.

yeah probably. I think its also all she had done is unpopular poo poo.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

More importantly she fell hard for McCain hype, which was mostly bullshit, and didn't understand that the brand was "slightly less evil Republican" not "ex democrat who does whatever has a dollar sign in front of it."

But she was dumb enough to fall for the smell of her own farts and there were a lot of lobbyists waiving a lot of bills at her while telling her she smelled like roses and new cars.

yeah this. I think she thought she could Main character her way into being some marvrick but she kept picking the worst battles and pissed away support.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

The book Sinema wrote in 2009 based on her experiences in the Arizona state legislature basically says that she thinks great compromises piss everyone off. Her choices in the “loudly renege in my campaign promises and espoused principles” thread are her thinking she can do the exact same thing by sloughing off her old electorate in order to, to quote her book, "build coalitions that win--and last".

By sheer coincidence this involves ghosting every single person she ever relied on or was friends with previously who could possibly tell her the coalition she wants to build doesn't actually exist in the aftermath of Trumpism, and her job is to actually represent the people who voted for her rather than an imaginary "bipartisan" electorate.

In my personal opinion, the real problem is that, in every single aspect of her life for her entire life, she's been so wildly successful at doing whatever she wants and cutting off anyone who tells her otherwise that she's effectively contracted terminal Narcissistic Personality Disorder. She likely lost any capacity to change course about absolutely anything she does a long time ago.

EDIT: Now is the perfect time to share my ultimate, favorite, Weird Krysten Sinema thing (that also reveals just how insane of an overcommitted overachiever she is): there's pretty good evidence that she's been actively, personally running her own Facebook Marketplace store this entire time.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 31, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, main character syndrome is as good a way to explain it as anything, but so is just "she was really loving stupid." Plenty of people tried to get her to change course she just didn't want to listen ro them because listening would have meant admitting she wasn't a special flower genius and doing actual work and not going on wine cave vacations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's not like she woke up in 2020 and said "I'm going to be a conservative now" all of a sudden. She's been trending rightward ever since she decided to run for the House back in 2012. It was apparently not that surprising to Arizona politics watchers at the time, who generally seemed to regard the seat she was running for as a competitive purple district with plenty of conservative-leaning voters. She joined the Blue Dog Coalition and all the other ultra-moderate Dem groups by 2014, and she's been known as a conservative Dem ever since, winning reelection multiple times and then winning election to the Senate despite that increasingly conservative record. So it's not like it's some super huge shock to the voters that she was in Congress as a centrist.

She didn't get burned for being too politically moderate, she got burned for openly defying the president and the party. And she likely did that because she thought it would raise her profile for a future presidential race. You don't get to be nationally known as a "maverick" just for being a conservative who votes with the other party a lot - you have to be actively obstructionist, preferably on something of high national prominence. That led to stuff like her not having a coherent list of demands, because she was blocking things simply to get headlines rather than because she objected to anything in the bills themselves. But she badly misjudged the moment and the political atmosphere, and was too obviously faking it for clout.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

It's Morning Consult. Their state polls have always been wacky.

Their own general election poll also has Biden leading nationally by 2, which is absolutely not possible if he is losing every state by 5-10.

Their Pennsylvania numbers are 10.5 points off from the two most recent other polls of PA.

https://www.politicspa.com/poll-biden-leads-trump-casey-holds-edge-on-mccormick/130944/

I don't buy that politicspa poll. There's no way McCormick is over performing Trump here. That dude lost to Mehmet loving Oz in the primary 2 years ago.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, main character syndrome is as good a way to explain it as anything, but so is just "she was really loving stupid." Plenty of people tried to get her to change course she just didn't want to listen ro them because listening would have meant admitting she wasn't a special flower genius and doing actual work and not going on wine cave vacations.

Is the idea here that she’s gonna be super unhappy in her new do-nothing jobs or what? I mean, if I could sell out and get paid and get yelled at by many fewer people while solely associating myself with folks who think having been a senator means you’re awesome, I’d take that bag too.

Why is she stupid? I mean, she’s gonna die rich, how does that make her stupid? Isn’t that the point in this country? She won the game. She made a bag and then got out.

The repeated insistence that this woman is dumb is just standard goon unexamined misogyny imho.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zapp Brannigan posted:

I don't buy that politicspa poll. There's no way McCormick is over performing Trump here. That dude lost to Mehmet loving Oz in the primary 2 years ago.

Me either. Take any polls this far out with a grain of salt. There's no way Biden is winning PA by nearly 8 points and there is no way he is losing every swing state by 5 to 10 points and winning the national popular vote by 2 at the same time. He'd have to be pulling 85% of the vote in every state he won.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Zapp Brannigan posted:

That might lend some credence to his strength in a general election though. Losing in a primary means you are less appealing to the base, which in this case is insane.

I imagine most people don't know anything about McCormick beyond him working for a hedge fund.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

selec posted:

Is the idea here that she’s gonna be super unhappy in her new do-nothing jobs or what? I mean, if I could sell out and get paid and get yelled at by many fewer people while solely associating myself with folks who think having been a senator means you’re awesome, I’d take that bag too.

Why is she stupid? I mean, she’s gonna die rich, how does that make her stupid? Isn’t that the point in this country? She won the game. She made a bag and then got out.

The repeated insistence that this woman is dumb is just standard goon unexamined misogyny imho.

She's dumb because she clearly believed her actions would make her a presidential candidate and political celebrity rather than torching her own career which is what she did instead. She was already on the gravy train for life once she won her first senatorial race, yet she somehow managed to gently caress that up, which takes a kind of genius. She can't even raise money for a reelection campaign any more.

She didn't sell out smart, she sold out dumb. If you want an example of a politician who sold out smart, look at Nikki Haley, who managed to parlay her governorship into significant post office payouts (she was on the board of Boeing for a while) and is also setting herself up quite nicely both for current and future presidential runs.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

koolkal posted:

That might lend some credence to his strength in a general election though. Losing in a primary means you are less appealing to the base, which in this case is insane.

I imagine most people don't know anything about McCormick beyond him working for a hedge fund.

To be fair, he did only lose to Oz by like 950 votes out of 1.3 million cast.

But it was very funny watching Fetterman, a man who had legit brain damage, go on to crush Oz in the general lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zapp Brannigan posted:

To be fair, he did only lose to Oz by like 950 votes out of 1.3 million cast.

But it was very funny watching Fetterman, a man who had legit brain damage, go on to crush Oz in the general lol

is because OZ was awful. all the GOP canidates are either carpet baggers or nutjobs. Fetterman for his many issues now is still deeply popular here and probably will stay that way.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This tech hearing is getting kind of wild.

There are parents in the audience whose kids died from suicide, doing dumb thinks they saw promoted by TikTok, being groomed, kidnapped, etc. holding pictures up of their kids behind the tech CEOs.

The CEO of X/Twitter (Linda Yaccarino) just read prepared remarks that included "We need to raise the standard across the entire industry, including those companies who are not here today and were afraid to face the public." Some member of congress then said, "Let the record show that Mrs. Yaccarino initially declined to appear voluntarily and had to be summoned here via subpoena."

Mark Zuckerberg is sweating and crying after people were dogpiling him about lawsuits and asking about DOJ investigations.

Lindsay Graham and Amy Klobuchar described how Instagram did nothing after a guy was blackmailed with naked pictures of himself via a scam and then he killed himself when they told him to deal with it because it wasn't their job to police scams.

The exchange went:

quote:

Senator: What would you say to that man?

Zuckerberg: That is terrible and nobody should ever have to go through with that. I'd want to do anything to help and my heart goes out to him.

Senator: Should his son be able to sue you?

Zuckerberg: Uhh... I don't think... uhh... I think he is allowed to sue.

Senator: Well, I think he should, but he can't.

Zuckerberg: Ok.

Live link here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUjv2Ky7PcM

Zuckerberg is crying after being grilled by dorks like Ted Cruz and people who are usually white bread passive backbenchers like Chris Coons.

https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1752732606464921749
https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1752739416596967934

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 31, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
gently caress you Zuckerberg, not for letting your search tool return CSAM, but for making me cheer on Ted Cruz

(also for letting your search tool return CSAM)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The CEO of TikTok was also just arguing that it can be difficult to tell how many of the kids that are recommended anti-Semitic or white supremacist content by their algorithm might have just wanted to see that, so it is impossible to say exactly how much responsibility they have for tens of millions of people under 25 seeing it. It's possible that tens of millions of people under 25 were trying to find Nazi videos on purpose.

The very next question he says they have extremely detailed programs and policies to prevent kids under 18 from seeing advertisements with sexual content and keep detailed tracking records to ensure it doesn't happen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

This tech hearing is getting kind of wild.

There are parents in the audience whose kids died from suicide, doing dumb thinks they saw promoted by TikTok, being groomed, kidnapped, etc. holding pictures up of their kids behind the tech CEOs.

The CEO of X/Twitter (Linda Yaccarino) just read prepared remarks that included "We need to raise the standard across the entire industry, including those companies who are not here today and were afraid to face the public." Some member of congress then said, "Let the record show that Mrs. Yaccarino initially declined to appear voluntarily and had to be summoned here via subpoena."

Mark Zuckerberg is sweating and crying after people were dogpiling him about lawsuits and asking about DOJ investigations.

Lindsay Graham and Amy Klobuchar described how Instagram did nothing after a guy was blackmailed with naked pictures of himself via a scam and then he killed himself when they told him to deal with it because it wasn't their job to police scams.

The exchange went:

Live link here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUjv2Ky7PcM

Zuckerberg is crying after being grilled by dorks like Ted Cruz and people who are usually white bread passive backbenchers like Chris Coons.

https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1752732606464921749
https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1752739416596967934

yeah. its nice to see the circus of the senate making GBS threads on mostly worse people for once.
also i am happy how bad all these freaks look. sure morons like cotton will scream dumb poo poo about commies but it seems mostly unified theory of "gently caress these guys" seems to be the rule of the day and its weirdly nice to see. least in this case.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 31, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dick Blumenthal and Josh Hawley just asked Zuckerberg if he would apologize to the parents with dead kids sitting behind him. He actually stood up, faced them, and said:

quote:

I’m sorry for everything that you all have been through. It’s horrible. No one should have to go through the things that your families have, have suffered, and this is why we’ve invested so much and are going to do industry-leading efforts to make sure that no one has to go through the types of things that your families have suffered.

Seems like a fairly good on-the-spot apology.

And then he had to add on:

quote:

The existing body of scientific work has not shown a causal link between using social media and young people having worse mental health outcomes.

https://twitter.com/zamaan_qureshi/status/1752742234250674473

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dick Blumenthal and Josh Hawley just asked Zuckerberg if he would apologize to the parents with dead kids sitting behind him. He actually stood up, faced them, and said:

well. nice to see hawley is good for something at least. part of the reason this works at all though is zuck is enough of human to feel bad, i dont think Elmo would do that.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 31, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Zuckerberg’s instincts at saying the worst thing possible in the situation is extremely impressive.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i am not "gonna hand it to him" (zuck) because while it's nice he managed to pull an apology out of his rear end, he's only done it after how many years of enabling this poo poo with no end, and even then only at the prompting of a senator currently grilling him

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

i am not "gonna hand it to him" (zuck) because while it's nice he managed to pull an apology out of his rear end, he's only done it after how many years of enabling this poo poo with no end, and even then only at the prompting of a senator currently grilling him

this. I think he might genuinly be sorry(not saying as fan, i just think slightly less of a sociopath dick then say musk and proably feels things) but he wont fix anything or change poo poo. at best the site will purge some obvious bots and a bunch of sex worker accounts and maybe an obvious pedo or two.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 31, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dick Blumenthal is bringing up documents from State AG lawsuits against Twitter/X about them trying to monetize kids and the content that gets exposed to minors and they just had this wild exchange:

quote:

Blumenthal: What is your opinion on these figures about children under 13 being targeted with this type of content?

Yaccarino: There aren't any 13-year olds being targeted or exposed to anything on X.

Blumenthal: How? That is not what these documents say.

Yaccarino: Children under 13 years old aren't allowed to open accounts.

Blumenthal: But they do!

Zamujasa posted:

You don't have to hand it to him. I was posting that because of how robotic and lovely it was that he goes out of his way to claim that there is no scientific proof that social media has any impact on children's mental health after being asked to confront people whose kids killed themselves via eating disorders or suicide prompted by things on social media.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 31, 2024

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
zuck with a mediocre apology followed by a statement undermining it and a commitment to do nothing to improve things

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

You don't have to hand it to him. I was posting that because of how robotic and lovely it was that he goes out of his way to claim that there is no scientific proof that social media has any impact on children's mental health after being asked to confront people whose kids killed themselves via eating disorders or suicide prompted by things on social media.

there wasn't an implication that you were instructing people to do so, i am simply saying that nothing he says in front of people holds a candle to the amount of objective evil he has explicitly enabled

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They are bringing out subpoenaed documents where Meta estimates the value of an under 18 user at $270. If it costs more than that to manage the user or deal with problems, then it isn't worth it.

There aren't any legal implications to that, but why in the world are you writing things like that down as official policy? Do people need to regularly check that figure? Is there any scenario where writing that down leads to any outcome other than an extremely embarrassing public revelation?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We also had some good old fashioned Red Panic and racism from Tom Cotton

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1752747934125359168?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

We also had some good old fashioned Red Panic and racism from Tom Cotton

I think that's more season 1 Hank Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_CaZ4EAexQ

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There has to be a workable joke juxtaposing Cotton Hill being able to identify Kahn as Laotian and Tom Cotton accusing a Singaporean of being a member of the CCP.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

it genuinly shows how dumb cotton is. ted and hawley are smart enough to actually hit the tech companies on real genuin issues, meanwhile cotton just screams stupid poo poo for the base.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
listening to afternoon npr, and they're talking about some new herbal supplement notdrug call Kratom, never heard of it, but im a lame straightedge nerd. also i dont live in FL. (the guest journalist are in FL)

seems kinda odd they would have a piece about some new supa danger drug before its widely/nationally known??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PhazonLink posted:

listening to afternoon npr, and they're talking about some new herbal supplement notdrug call Kratom, never heard of it, but im a lame straightedge nerd. also i dont live in FL. (the guest journalist are in FL)

seems kinda odd they would have a piece about some new supa danger drug before its widely/nationally known??

Kratom is not new at all. It is extremely old.

It gained popularity because it isn't illegal at the federal level and you can get an opiate-like high if you chewed a bunch of it.

I don't know the exact specifics of what NPR was talking about today, but it was a hugely popular thing to recommend in TCC on this very website way back in the early 2000's as a way to sate your pain pill cravings.

(Never take any medical advice from TCC.)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 31, 2024