Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Because I wanted to hear her full description directly since I didn't have time to listen to the whole 1.5 hours.

personally, if i were you? i would just check out of this conversation until i had the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

personally, if i were you? i would just check out of this conversation until i had the time

Nah, nobody is required to listen to a 1.5 hour podcast in order to hear the one line of evidence.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Kchama posted:

Nah, nobody is required to listen to a 1.5 hour podcast in order to hear the one line of evidence.

As others have pointed out, it's the first 25 minutes of the episode. No one is "requiring" anyone to listen to anything.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Majorian posted:

As others have pointed out, it's the first 25 minutes of the episode. No one is "requiring" anyone to listen to anything.

That guy literally is telling him to 'check out of the conversation' until he listened to the whole podcast.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

then why did you need a timestamp?

Because I wanted to hear her full description directly since I didn't have time to listen to the whole 1.5 hours.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hence me replying that nobody needs to listen to the whole thing in order to be in the conversation.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Kchama posted:

That guy literally is telling him to 'check out of the conversation' until he listened to the whole podcast.

Hence me replying that nobody needs to listen to the whole thing in order to be in the conversation.

He actually said the following:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"Personally, if I were you? I would X" is not synonymous with "I hereby require you to do X." It's a suggestion, not a requirement.

I'm re-skimming the episode. Basil talks about the police "brutalizing" students they arrest at around 16:00. I will try to find where she says that people suffered dislocations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kchama posted:

As I said, the poster in question could simply take it on good faith that they were being told the truth.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Majorian posted:

He actually said the following:

"Personally, if I were you? I would X" is not synonymous with "I hereby require you to do X." It's a suggestion, not a requirement.

I'm re-skimming the episode. Basil talks about the police "brutalizing" students they arrest at around 16:00.

It's a bad suggestion, then, because the rest of the podcast doesn't have anything to do with the conversation.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

As I said, the poster in question could simply take it on good faith that they were being told the truth.

I mean, they did. They said they wanted to hear the full description of what the lady said about the police brutality. It's totally fine to ask for sources. They don't need to listen to the whole thing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Eeeech

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4618000-lara-trump-rnc-2024-election-day-physically-handle-ballots/

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kchama posted:

It's a bad suggestion, then, because the rest of the podcast doesn't have anything to do with the conversation.

I mean, they did. They said they wanted to hear the full description of what the lady said about the police brutality. It's totally fine to ask for sources. They don't need to listen to the whole thing.

I mean, they don’t need to do anything they don’t want to. They were given the source though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

At around 8:40 Basil says "people's shoulders were dislocated, people's fingers were fractured, people were severely injured both physically and psychologically."

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, they don’t need to do anything they don’t want to. They were given the source though.

And they asked for a timestamp because it's nearly two hours long. It's seen as very bad form to just give someone a huge thing and make them find it themselves.

Majorian posted:

At around 8:40 Basil says "people's shoulders were dislocated, people's fingers were fractured, people were severely injured both physically and psychologically."

Thank you.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

It's not really hair splitting because there isn't really any nuance between "it happened" vs "it didn't."

You're being kind of silly and asserting that saying it hasn't happened is some sort of endorsement of any future action. It's just a literal factual statement based on the linear nature of how time works and not some value statement.

As of today, there have been no reported major injuries at Columbia.

There's literaly a video of police pushing a kid to the ground in Austin In the post above yours

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

If you still believe in polls, according to the CNN, the impact of Israel-Hamas War has been minimal.

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1783141483119333574

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kchama posted:

And they asked for a timestamp because it's nearly two hours long. It's seen as very bad form to just give someone a huge thing and make them find it themselves.

An hour and a half is typical podcast length. “Huge” would be two hours plus in my estimation. And again, nobody was “making” them do anything.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The faculty at UT Austin put out a statement that gives a good description of what happened on campus today

https://twitter.com/AMReese07/status/1783265753988251970

selec
Sep 6, 2003

National Parks posted:

There's literaly a video of police pushing a kid to the ground in Austin In the post above yours

And the press. They arrested a cameraman for a local station. His colleague has confirmed on Twitter.

https://x.com/DavidGriscom/status/1783271873708507384

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ither posted:

If you still believe in polls, according to the CNN, the impact of Israel-Hamas War has been minimal.

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1783141483119333574

We'll see if they affect the polls during/after the Democratic National Convention, assuming they have another 1968 on their hands.

In the meantime, cops in Texas attacked a journalist on camera:

e: gah, beaten by one post!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

An hour and a half is typical podcast length. “Huge” would be two hours plus in my estimation.

If I asked someone to give evidence for their point and they said “listen to this podcast” I’d tell them to get hosed. That’s a “do your own research” kind of response. If someone wants to make a point it’s on them to back it up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

If I asked someone to give evidence for their point and they said “listen to this podcast” I’d tell them to get hosed. That’s a “do your own research” kind of response. If someone wants to make a point it’s on them to back it up.

That seems a little rude. I would say something like “thanks, I’ll check that out when I have the time.” That or just take their word for it.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Another union endorsement for Biden

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1782947804572160471

Ither fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 25, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

selec posted:

And the press. They arrested a cameraman for a local station. His colleague has confirmed on Twitter.

Going to be wild to see the pundits try to thread the needle between putting down the violent antifa super-student-soldier terrorists and watching journos getting completely destroyed like this guy

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Impending media cowardice

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That seems a little rude. I would say something like “thanks, I’ll check that out when I have the time.” That or just take their word for it.

Nah, c'mon. Like I'm much more likely to believe the organizer than I am what gets filtered through news, but giving people actual sources and timestamps so they don't have to go through the whole thing to know what you're talking about or to get more specific descriptions/the words of the person in question is a good thing.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It is rude, but I think the core sentiment of "that's too long and I'm just going to continue to disagree with you unless you have something more concise" is valid. I don't have time to go listen to an hour of whatever every time I disagree with someone on the Internet.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

It is rude, but I think the core sentiment of "that's too long and I'm just going to continue to disagree with you unless you have something more concise" is valid. I don't have time to go listen to an hour of whatever every time I disagree with someone on the Internet.

At that point I would probably take a step back and ask myself how committed I am to disagreeing with this person on the internet.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
https://twitter.com/PplsCityCouncil/status/1783204802991906981

USC unsurprisingly responding with more of the same

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Majorian posted:

We'll see if they affect the polls during/after the Democratic National Convention, assuming they have another 1968 on their hands.

In the meantime, cops in Texas attacked a journalist on camera:

e: gah, beaten by one post!

if enough other people did what I did the national convention is going to vote to demand a ceasefire, so,

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
another terrible thing about the modern video essay and podcast age. 99 hour videos / podcasts where a transcipt can be read in 9 mins.

do none of the major media platforms do speech to text? im an abled hearing person, but i sctipt feature would be nice

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At that point I would probably take a step back and ask myself how committed I am to disagreeing with this person on the internet.

Nope. Requiring that people listen to a whole rear end YouTube video or podcast ep is not acceptable. Nobody was required to pull up a timestamp either, but I appreciate that Majorian did. Good overall outcome.

e: yeah I've wondered, surely there's some sort of lovely transcript generator somewhere?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Goatse James Bond posted:

Nope. Requiring that people listen to a whole rear end YouTube video or podcast ep is not acceptable. Nobody was required to pull up a timestamp either, but I appreciate that Majorian did. Good overall outcome.

Again, nobody in this situation was “required” to do anything

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Huh? I don't get what you're saying, my whole point is that I'm not that committed. That's why I'm not going to listen to the podcast, that would be increased commitment. I'll keep thinking what I do and they can think what they do.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

Huh? I don't get what you're saying, my whole point is that I'm not that committed. That's why I'm not going to listen to the podcast, that would be increased commitment. I'll keep thinking what I do and they can think what they do.

So what’s the problem?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

if enough other people did what I did the national convention is going to vote to demand a ceasefire, so,

That would be really great. I hope that's how it turns out. Either way, good on you for using what leverage you have.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

So what’s the problem?

Well, presumably they were hoping to convince me and they didn't. It's not necessarily a problem for me, I'm generally happy to think the things that I do.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

selec posted:

That was.... brutal.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

selec posted:

It looked like the bald camera man shoved a cop from behind.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

USC unsurprisingly responding with more of the same

LOL, this is the same school that disinvited its valedictorian from speaking at her own graduation, because she was too pro-Palestinian. I get that they're trying to pander to their alumni donors, but uhhh...this isn't going to be good for donations.

Cimber posted:

It looked like the bald camera man shoved a cop from behind.

I'm not seeing that at all in the video.:confused: Looks to me like he walks out of the camera frame to the left, and then the next thing we see, the cops are dragging him to the ground.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

At least the response is pretty good

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1783273507608224063

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Again, nobody in this situation was “required” to do anything

The point is that it's rude and obnoxious to tell people to go read some book or watch a long video to get your point. It is, as you basically put, a way to make people

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

back off from the argument because it's too much of a hassle to try and engage with "go watch a long podcast/video/read this book" for an internet argument. Which is why it is much preferred that if someone has a source to back up their claim, they direct someone directly where to find the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

A ceasefire isn't going to be enough at this point. Nothing less than complete financial divestment, no more arms sales, and a commitment to Palestinian self-determination & reconstruction should or will be an acceptable sop--and we know that the current makeup of U.S. government will never agree to those terms. (eta: Also getting rid of anti-BDS loyalty oaths & laws.)

I have some first-hand knowledge of running as a delegate to the DNC and maybe it's easy in your neck of the woods but ime it's extremely hard to overcome institutional barriers and decades of rear end-kissing to the PTB that afford that influence. And that's leaving aside the institutional barriers to becoming a voting member of the DNC's rules committee to even get poo poo on the official platform (fwiw, which isn't much).

I'm sure there will be delegates who make their voices heard against genocide while present at the convention, particularly since the delegate-selection process requires that certain seats are held by younger people, but I'm guessing that most people who run or who have run as Biden delegates lean toward the hardcore Biden supporters who can afford the $5000 or so it takes to go to a national convention.

The delegates from my neck of the woods are all local politicians who haven't had a word to say publicly about Gaza except that they "condemn antisemitism".

edit: If I misunderstood the meaning of "who did what I did" then I apologize.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 25, 2024