Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, they explicitly went out of their way to separate the two and the statement was in response to being shown a video where people were literally chanting in support of terrorism and they were asked about it.

And the response was specifically about calls to violence. You should read the full context and examine your priors. You initially claimed he had explicitly called "peaceful anti-genocide protestors terrorists" and have been slowly walking back the goal posts when the actual statement was posted.
Were there links to these videos ITT? I'd like to see them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

No, they explicitly went out of their way to separate the two and the statement was in response to being shown a video where people were literally chanting in support of terrorism and they were asked about it.

And the response was specifically about calls to violence. You should read the full context and examine your priors. You initially claimed he had explicitly called "peaceful anti-genocide protestors terrorists" and have been slowly walking back the goal posts when the actual statement was posted.

I think you’re proving Willa right when she referenced the “I’m not touching you” game. As I said earlier, the post-9/11 White House does not use the word “terrorist” when they do not want to slime someone. You are giving them the benefit of the doubt where they do not deserve it.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

being as AOC was at the same event and is widely reported as praising the 'peaceful student-led protests', they're doing an incredible bad job of it.

maybe we should just use occam's razor and figure that calling antisemitic rhetoric bad was intended to call antisemitic rhetoric bad.

Is AOC part of the administration now? I must have missed that.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
it is probably a bad idea to engage in hyperbolic statements like "biden called the protesters terrorists" that aren't true because it kind of blows out the dynamic range that differentiates how to process what they actually said versus if they had actually just put biden on stage and had him say "the student protesters are terrorists" (in which case the response and consequences outside of this bubble of rhetoric would have been way, way loving different)

this sort of poo poo ultimately only helps the people who are actually saying poo poo which is as bad as that, non-hyperbolically, like the guy from the ADL being all like 'the student protesters are iranian proxy groups' because now statements of very different concern are now treated essentially identically, for reasons not worth spending another two pages on but hopefully people got an idea why

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Majorian posted:

I think you’re proving Willa right when she referenced the “I’m not touching you” game. As I said earlier, the post-9/11 White House does not use the word “terrorist” when they do not want to slime someone. You are giving them the benefit of the doubt where they do not deserve it.

Is AOC part of the administration now? I must have missed that.

The video they responded to explicitly mentions supporting terrorist groups.

https://twitter.com/AntisemitismEye/status/1782431134808158245

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

The video they responded to explicitly mentions supporting terrorist groups.

https://twitter.com/AntisemitismEye/status/1782431134808158245

So the WH is accepting the framing of a noted pro-Zionist group, which dishonestly conflates what a handful of nutballs that are not part of the student protests and were not on campus. I’m not seeing that as much better.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Majorian posted:

So the WH is accepting the framing of a noted pro-Zionist group, which conflates what a handful of nutballs that are not part of the student protests and were not on campus. I’m not seeing that as much better.

Please examine why you have initially believed factually incorrect things and then walked back your initial claims three times when a single google search or reading the BBC article posted could have informed you.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Its worth noting that the more extremist elements are probably the PSL loons who have a track record of this stuff

or so says the GBS thread

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Please examine why you have initially believed factually incorrect things and then walked back your initial claims three times when a single google search or reading the BBC article posted could have informed you.

My initial claim is that the WH is deliberately trying to associate the peaceful protests with the word “terrorist”:

Majorian posted:

“Terrorist” is an extremely loaded term in the US; it’s especially so when the White House uses it, given the past three decades of history. It is a handy cudgel when an administration wants to slime an individual or group, often unfairly or hypocritically. It’s similar to how “Communist” was used as an epithet during the Cold War (and still is, of course). I don’t buy the suggestion that they weren’t trying to deliberately malign protesters by making this association.

e: it is similar to this example:

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1783186070558933411

One could argue that the former Speaker isn’t DIRECTLY saying that protesters are stooges of Putin, just that he’s “encouraging” them to help He Who Must Not Be Named (good lord) get elected. But I would hope we’d all be able to recognize such an argument as sophistry. These aren’t off-hand comments, they’re not whoopsies by communications staff, they are talking points that are being used strategically.

I have not walked back that claim and still stand by it. I think you have me confused with another poster.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think the actual anti-Semitic elements of a protest should be called out and shunned while the genuine support for Palestinian protests should be encouraged. Not pointing out the more poo poo elements of a movement is how you get Nazis marching down the street included in your movement.

And at the risk of being too controversial, I don't like Nazis.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

National Parks posted:

Oh cool let's bring back the "do you condemn hamas" before you can talk about the rights of Palestinians or students ability to protest or about how Israel is commiting a genocide

I don’t think we should simplify and decontextualize an extremely complicated situation to being about our own internal electoralism.

Our inertial rhetorical games (on all sides) don’t help anything.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Majorian posted:

My initial claim is that the WH is deliberately trying to associate the peaceful protests with the word “terrorist”:

I have not walked back that claim and still stand by it. I think you have me confused with another poster.

You initially said he directly called peaceful "anti-genocide protestors" terrorists/terrorist apologists/dupes, then said it was unprompted and they would only use that word if they intended to do so, then explained that you didn't know about the video or context.

Majorian posted:

I broadly agree, but we’re talking about how the WH is characterizing the anti-genocide protesters, ie: as terrorist apologists/supporters/dupes. I don’t think one can credibly “both sides” that.

You can believe whatever you want, but some statements of fact are binary in whether they happened or not. Your initial belief could still be right even though your initial factual assumptions were incorrect, but you should make sure you ground your belief in factual statements. It doesn't do you any good to trick yourself.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 25, 2024

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Majorian posted:

Some were, but there was a large amount of indirect accusations, innuendo, and bad faith character attacks as well.

e: many folks were dragged before the committee but never accused - just intimidated into falsely accusing colleagues or acquaintances.

Thanks for the correction. :)

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Push El Burrito posted:

I think the actual anti-Semitic elements of a protest should be called out and shunned while the genuine support for Palestinian protests should be encouraged.

agreed in part, but based off my experiences with specific subjects it becomes nearly impossible to expect these mass protest movements to be able to avoid the fringe dumbshits coming in and saying the crazy rear end in a top hat poo poo

some or maybe even most of responsibility should be on the media for their tendency to reward all their attention to whichever .0002% ideological fringe group comes in and says the most attention catching cringe poo poo, then intentionally leave the burden on the vast majority of peace demonstrators to constantly be accountable to it, forced to waste their time disavowing a handful of assholes

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Its worth noting that the more extremist elements are probably the PSL loons who have a track record of this stuff

that would track lol

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I don’t think we should simplify and decontextualize an extremely complicated situation to being about our own internal electoralism.

Our inertial rhetorical games (on all sides) don’t help anything.

You're the one who tried to make a both sides argument in the middle of a discussion about protestors and the Gaza encampments. Which ill add, are completely unrelated to Hamas, but very related to the genocide in gaza and divestment from Israel. Maybe take your own advice?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

So I got curious about this and did a search for "white house terrorist" on google and clicked to the news sections. The first few stories are about other things but here are the media headlines:

They don't seem to actually mention terrorism or terrorist at all despite being part of the actual literal statement. The media has mostly seized upon the "anti-semitic" and "dangerous" parts.

Notably they've also managed to flatten the claims of "antisemitism at the protests" to "antisemitic protests", going by the TheDailyBeast's headline. So I think it's fair to say that "[noun] at the protest" will be framed by some of the Respectable Liberal media as "[adjective] protests".

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

You initially said he directly called peaceful "anti-genocide protestors" terrorists/terrorist apologists/dupes,

I said the White House characterized them as such, as you can see in the snippet you quoted. That's not the same thing as accusing them of "directly calling" them that. As I said, they are attempting to associate the protests with terrorism. It's the "I'm not touching you" game that Willa referenced. They don't have to directly call them terrorists to make that association in their audience's mind.

Also, please stop the backseat modding. There's no call for that.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 25, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Majorian posted:

I said the White House characterized them as such, as you can see in the snippet you quoted. That's not the same thing as accusing them of "directly calling" them that. As I said, they are attempting to associate the protests with terrorism.

They did not characterize them that way. They explicitly drew a distinction in the original statement about peaceful protesting and noted the actions in the video were distinct from the protestors. That is the entire the point of the context, the link, the video, and the BBC article.

It doesn't really make sense to trick yourself. You can still believe that the goal was to smear them, but just make sure you are in the realm of the factual.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

They did not characterize them that way. They explicitly drew a distinction in the original statement about peaceful protesting and noted the actions in the video were distinct from the protestors. That is the entire the point of the context, the link, the video, and the BBC article.

It doesn't really make sense to trick yourself. You can still believe that the goal was to smear them, but just make sure you are in the realm of the factual.

I'm not "tricking myself" in the slightest; I think I'm being clear-eyed about the White House's use of language here. It's not the first time they've tried to associate these protests with malign forces like antisemitism, and I'm sure it won't be the last. You're free to disagree with me, of course. But I think the use of the word "terrorist" was strategically deployed, much in the way that pretty much every other president since 9/11 has used that term to slime movements that they don't like.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

National Parks posted:

You're the one who tried to make a both sides argument in the middle of a discussion about protestors and the Gaza encampments. Which ill add, are completely unrelated to Hamas, but very related to the genocide in gaza and divestment from Israel. Maybe take your own advice?

No, all I’m doing is say it is consistent with reality to consider both Hamas a terrorist organization and Israel a state that is perpetuating a genocide.

We don’t have buy into the framing of either. They are both awful, though I would say Israel is currently more awful.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No, all I’m doing is say it is consistent with reality to consider both Hamas a terrorist organization and Israel a state that is perpetuating a genocide.

We don’t have buy into the framing of either. They are both awful, though I would say Israel is currently more awful.

Israeli civil institutions are oftentimes the outgrowth of militia or terrorist organizations like Irgun, so Hamas has a bright, politically viable future according to the standards of the region.

Menachem Begin walked so others could run (into the voting booth after they win their liberation)

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Yeah this one seems way more the media's very specific bias and bad editorialization

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Yeah this one seems way more the media's very specific bias and bad editorialization

That's just shifting the blame though. The White House has entire staff whose jobs are to come up with statements, properly frame them, and then disseminate them to the media. Like, that TheDailyBeast headline I noted above was from a statement that was emailed directly to them.

Are we to believe that the White House staff whose job is to give statements to the media are unaware of how the media will frame them?

Once again an argument boils down to evil vs. stupid.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

koolkal posted:

That's just shifting the blame though. The White House has entire staff whose jobs are to come up with statements, properly frame them, and then disseminate them to the media. Like, that TheDailyBeast headline I noted above was from a statement that was emailed directly to them.

Are we to believe that the White House staff whose job is to give statements to the media are unaware of how the media will frame them?

Once again an argument boils down to evil vs. stupid.

I don't see why we have to consider this case when it's pretty clear the administration isn't backing the Palestinians as much as we would all like - this is like saying dems are bad for intentionally kicking a puppy after they bumped into a puppy on the way to kill a man.

Like of course they won't come out in support of the protestors, why would you fixate on improper use of language instead of what they're doing unless there's some sort of imaginary grievance pile you're trying to get as high as possible?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't see why we have to consider this case when it's pretty clear the administration isn't backing the Palestinians as much as we would all like - this is like saying dems are bad for intentionally kicking a puppy after they bumped into a puppy on the way to kill a man.

Like of course they won't come out in support of the protestors, why would you fixate on improper use of language instead of what they're doing unless there's some sort of imaginary grievance pile you're trying to get as high as possible?

Because it's part of a pretty clear pattern from this administration. Back in October, White House spokesperson Karine Jean-Pierre made a not-so-subtle comparison between anti-genocide protesters and the Charlottesville white supremacists: (bolding mine)

quote:

Q Thank you, Karine. Does President Biden think the anti-Israel protesters in this country are extremists?

MS. JEAN-PIERRE: What I can say is what — we’ve been very clear about this: When it comes to antisemitism, there is no place. We have to make sure that we speak against it very loud and be — and be very clear about that.

Remember, what the President decided — when the President decided to run for president is what he saw in Charlottesville in 2017, when we — he saw neo-Nazis marching down the streets of Charlottesville with vile, antisemitic — just hatred.

And he was very clear then, and he’s very clear now. He’s taken actions against this over the past two years. And he’s continued to be clear: There is no place — no place for this type of vile and despite — despite — this kind of rhetoric.

This isn't an issue of them not coming out in support of protesters "as much as we'd like." (which I don't think anyone here expects of this administration anyway) It's an issue of how they've been framing these protests since just after October 7.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Majorian posted:

This isn't an issue of them not coming out in support of protesters "as much as we'd like." (which I don't think anyone here expects of this administration anyway) It's an issue of how they've been framing these protests since just after October 7.

This just feels like the right wing outrage machine tuned to a different frequency. If you want to believe that off the cuff responses to a reporter are elements of a deliberate smear campaign, you do you.

For the record:

Majorian posted:

Let’s put our cards on the table on this issue: do you think that the WH intended to associate the protests with terrorist groups by deploying the term “terrorist” or not?

My point here is that the answer to this question is basically a Rorschach test of how evil you think the dems are. It's the same thing as asking if Biden in his heart of hearts actually wants the genocide to happen or if he's just along for the ride. It's basically just a purity test designed to stir poo poo up. So no, I don't think the dems sat down and decided to discredit the protests for PR. Maybe they did, who cares.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

This just feels like the right wing outrage machine tuned to a different frequency. If you want to believe that off the cuff responses to a reporter are elements of a deliberate smear campaign, you do you.

Given that it's part of a far broader pattern of the White House associating the protests with adjectives like "antisemitic" and "terrorist," yeah, I'm going to believe that this was not an off-the-cuff response but rather what this White House actually believes.

quote:

For the record:

My point here is that the answer to this question is basically a Rorschach test of how evil you think the dems are. It's the same thing as asking if Biden in his heart of hearts actually wants the genocide to happen or if he's just along for the ride. It's basically just a purity test designed to stir poo poo up. So no, I don't think the dems sat down and decided to discredit the protests for PR. Maybe they did, who cares.

I don't believe I've said anything about "the Dems." I have been talking about this Administration, which is Democratic but not synonymous with "the Dems." As I've pointed out, previous Administrations have also used the label "terrorist" to disparage and discredit movements that they feel are threatening to their interests. It's a bipartisan pattern (just as red-baiting was back in the day), not something that I'm claiming is peculiar to the Dems.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

UT had protesters mass arrested yesterday. Well that failed, because the court declined all the cases. What’s worse is the university system trying to destroy evidence that will absolutely be used in upcoming civil suits for students who have had their civil rights infringed under color of law, when the U used to say things like this…

https://x.com/ZaidJilani/status/1783583085398819177

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Looking dire here in Boston too.

https://x.com/GBHNews/status/1783555575755801010

quote:

Boston police officers arrested 108 protesters during an overnight sweep of a pro-Palestinian encampment on the Emerson College campus in Downtown Boston. Both students and police say they were injured during the aggressive clash.

Multiple students provided GBH News with photos of injuries they sustained during the sweep. City crews were dispatched Thursday morning to clear blood and graffiti from the Boylston Place alleyway, according to footage obtained by GBH News. Four police officers sustained non-life-threatening injuries, three minor and one serious, according to Boston Police Department spokesman Detective Sergeant John Boyle.

Officers surrounded the block during the sweep, according to a student who was arrested and asked to remain anonymous.

“We were trapped, so there wasn’t any way in or out for us,” they said. “They stormed both sides of the alley in full riot gear, with batons. Students were dragged, ripped from the front line. I was thrown to the ground with a knee on my back. Somebody that I was thrown into the wagon with had a bloody nose and wasn’t given medical attention until we were at the precinct. It was horrific. People were screaming that they couldn’t breathe while they were being arrested.”

Students began protesting at Emerson earlier this week, demanding transparency about the use of the college’s endowment and divestment from any companies that support Israel’s military action in Gaza. Police issued dispersal warnings to protest organizers at around 1:38 a.m., according to Emerson student newspaper The Berkeley Beacon. Around ten minutes later, arrests began.

Eight students appeared in Boston Municipal Court Thursday morning, facing charges ranging from unlawful assembly to disturbing the peace. Because Boston Municipal Court judges were attending a conference at the time, all eight were released on their own recognizance and given summons to appear for arraignments early next month.

“It was terrifying. They beat students to the ground. I was pushed to the ground. That statue right there, they pressed me up against it, and I was like, ‘We’re being peaceful,‘” said a second-year Emerson student, who was arrested and also asked to remain anonymous. Their court date is next week.

“They had knees on the backs of students’ backs. They used zip ties on me instead of handcuffs because they didn’t have enough handcuffs — and it really, really hurt. They had black batons and wooden sticks, just, that looked like it could be a chair leg that they were using to beat students,” the student continued. “When I was taken in the cop car, there were students that had gashes on their face.”

First-year student Nadine, who did not give her last name, recalled leaving the alley before arrests started.

“I quickly ran upstairs so I could at least still see what was happening. And, people were just being thrown down to the ground. I mean, they went to all the tents, dragged people out, like, pushed them to the ground. It did not have to escalate to this. … Boston police were brutal. They were so brutal.”

Multiple students remain in jail with dates to appear in court next week on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

“What these students are doing is specifically what we've been telling people that we're all about as a country, that when we see injustice, we speak out, generation after generation,” Antonio Viana, an attorney with the National Lawyers Guild who represented the eight students Thursday. “They were peacefully protesting until the Boston police came, dozens of police officers. It’s important for us to remember ... no one can deny that a lot of people are being killed, no one can deny that. So what are we doing about it? Are we going to just stay silent?”

Officers cleared the encampment in accordance with the city’s ordinance banning tents across Boston, according to authorities. At a press conference Thursday morning, Mayor Michelle Wu — who enacted the ordinance to address homeless encampments across the city — said that the Emerson encampment presented a hazard to public safety by blocking a public alleyway.

“We welcome and uphold and respect the right to peacefully protest in public spaces in our city. The issue was with fire hazards from the tents and the public health and safety risks that encampments, and tents in particular, pose in the city,” Wu said.

Boston City Council President Ruthzee Louijeune said Thursday that her office is closely monitoring student protests. She called for any cases against peaceful protesters should be dismissed.

“I caution against heavy-handed responses to protest. While there are legitimate public safety concerns, the presence of tents alone does not transform a peaceful protest into an unpeaceful one,” she posted on X, formerly known as Twitter. It is our collective responsibility to ensure that students who choose to exercise their right to protest are met with dignity and respect.”

Carol Rose, executive director of the ACLU of Massachusetts, released a statement Thursday morning in response to the arrests, which she said “risked the safety and well being” of everyone in the surrounding area.

“There is a distinction between removing encampments to ensure safe access to a public right of way and using physical violence against students engaging in peaceful expression,” she said. “City and campus officials should take great care to distinguish between the two; if the alley is considered a public way for purposes of Boston’s anti-tent ordinance, then it is also a public way for purposes of free speech. Students and other Boston residents should be able to voice their support for Palestine or Israel without fear of becoming a target of the Boston Police Department.”

The removal of the Emerson encampment came hours after Harvard students set up an encampment of their own in Harvard Yard, despite the university’s efforts to limit protests by restricting access to campus.

Similar encampments have been established at MIT and Tufts University.

This is a developing story.

Emphasis my own.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
GBH news indeed

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
boston police? brutal? inconceivable

gently caress, i actually know where this is going, i was looking forward to sitting on my rear end but now those demonstrators gonna need demonstrators against legal cases

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Staluigi posted:

boston police? brutal? inconceivable

gently caress, i actually know where this is going, i was looking forward to sitting on my rear end but now those demonstrators gonna need demonstrators against legal cases

Ime they've been fairly restrained at protests, at least compared to other places so it's actually a little surprising to me. They usually save their brutality for one on one interactions.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Someone already did this (you can go to about 8:40 and hear her describe it, as they pointed out), but there’s still posts being made as if it didn’t happen.

yeah it's pretty unfortunate that the thread doesn't move in lockstep at all times but that's the cost of doing business when you're dealing with a myriad of individuals instead of a gestalt

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kagrenak posted:

Ime they've been fairly restrained at protests, at least compared to other places so it's actually a little surprising to me. They usually save their brutality for one on one interactions.

They were pretty brutal to counter-protesters at the Straight Pride march back in 2019 but the response this time around does seem even worse.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If we survive well enough to produce historians that study this period, they're going to reach the conclusion that letting cops nationally have a flag to unite behind was a very bad idea.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
analysis of today's immunity arguments from SCOTUS blog:

https://www.scotusblog.com/2024/04/supreme-court-appears-likely-to-side-with-trump-on-some-presidential-immunity/

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Kagrenak posted:

yeah i am forced to admit that their median thuggery level is lacking compared to, like, chicago, portland, albequerque. mass legislators do a lot of big talk on campus freedoms so they're usually not uhhh mobilized fist first like this

so i guess this time It's Different!, maybe on account of pressure from israeli state aligned donors or some poo poo that will be drearily dystopian once you have the whole picture

but for now i guess its all eyes on the ACLU to see what kind of advocacy they throw out, and how serious the reporting will be from GBH or WBUR

selec
Sep 6, 2003

THE Ohio State University:

https://x.com/Liz_Andromeda/status/1783618711137505445

Indiana:

https://x.com/IUonStrike/status/1783620195581350102

We were wrong to say we should defund these guys though. This is normal first-world nation stuff, this is how you show the kids what real life is like if they try to protest a genocide.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Staluigi posted:

yeah i am forced to admit that their median thuggery level is lacking compared to, like, chicago, portland, albequerque. mass legislators do a lot of big talk on campus freedoms so they're usually not uhhh mobilized fist first like this

so i guess this time It's Different!, maybe on account of pressure from israeli state aligned donors or some poo poo that will be drearily dystopian once you have the whole picture

but for now i guess its all eyes on the ACLU to see what kind of advocacy they throw out, and how serious the reporting will be from GBH or WBUR

Yeah I'm not handing it to them or anything, just here is less bad than I've seen, heard of, or experienced in other cities.

I have a friend who writes for WGBH sometimes so I'm sure she'll be trying to push through some actually good reporting but they're not a staff writer so it depends on if the station takes it.

selec posted:

THE Ohio State University:

We were wrong to say we should defund these guys though. This is normal first-world nation stuff, this is how you show the kids what real life is like if they try to protest a genocide.

This is loving insane. I've only ever seen this at protests at the white house which at least feels more proportional.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Recently, they had police snipers on the roof of Elbit Systems in Cambridge, MA when people were protesting there (Elbit Systems provides drones and other equipment to the Israeli military)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So in Baltimore a recording had leaked a while back of a principal making racist and antisemitic remarks. Today it came out that after investigating it turned out to be AI generated by the Athletic Director pissed at the principal because he was getting fired.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/baltimore-high-school-athletic-director-ai-create-fake/story%3fid=109638535

Our elections are about to get crazy. Life in general is going to get wild as people abuse this to do things like this as well as people who legit did whatever they are accused of muddying the waters with an "it was AI" defense.