Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I don't know I think we're long past the point where videos of people admitting to heinous poo poo is going to move the needle. An unchallenged audio clip came out of Trump bragging about raping women and he went up in the polls. And that was 150 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

D-Pad posted:

So in Baltimore a recording had leaked a while back of a principal making racist and antisemitic remarks. Today it came out that after investigating it turned out to be AI generated by the Athletic Director pissed at the principal because he was getting fired.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/baltimore-high-school-athletic-director-ai-create-fake/story%3fid=109638535

Our elections are about to get crazy. Life in general is going to get wild as people abuse this to do things like this as well as people who legit did whatever they are accused of muddying the waters with an "it was AI" defense.

While the implications here are terrifying, most of our violent extremists either have no interest in evidence at all, or are easily decieved by MS Paint

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
No one will be able to distinguish my real dick pics from the AI-generated ones.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Morrow posted:

No one will be able to distinguish my real dick pics from the AI-generated ones.

I don’t think AI can render things that microscopic yet.:v:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

D-Pad posted:

So in Baltimore a recording had leaked a while back of a principal making racist and antisemitic remarks. Today it came out that after investigating it turned out to be AI generated by the Athletic Director pissed at the principal because he was getting fired.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/baltimore-high-school-athletic-director-ai-create-fake/story%3fid=109638535

Our elections are about to get crazy. Life in general is going to get wild as people abuse this to do things like this as well as people who legit did whatever they are accused of muddying the waters with an "it was AI" defense.

Listening closely to the recording you can hear that the cadence is off in a number of places, as well as some distortion. Also, lots of those sentences don't seem like a collection of words that people would put in that order. Kinda reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkTibALwfNg

But yes, the use and abuse of AI is getting realer and realer every day.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

Majorian posted:

I don’t think AI can render things that microscopic yet.:v:

Through 8k all things are possible.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

For the folks that avoid the other thread, official announcement of the start of pier construction.

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-S...an-aid-to-gaza/

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SpeakSlow posted:

Through 8k all things are possible.
Let me know when they have 12k.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Hey guys

If your gunna do medium risk direct actions, like encampment

Make sure you have a photographer that's savvy
A medic
A green hat lawyer
When arrested, go limp. Takes 4 to carry you off, wears out the pigs, and your media team gets epic pics of you bloodied and limp with 4 military cosplayers carrying you to a cage

From experience

Also

Crazies and agents and clowns will show up.
Them's the breaks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Why?

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
Here's a fun piece that I think the regulars here would like.

So you know how we've all noticed that the New York Times is weirdly harsh on Biden and keeps being credulous towards Trumpworld? Turns out there's been a quiet feud for years.

On one hand, Biden's team doesn't like how the NYT is imperiling democracy by falsely equivocating between him and Trump, constantly harping on Biden's age, stuff like that. On the other hand, the NYT doesn't like how Biden's team keeps accusing them of imperiling democracy. Oh, and they're pissed off that Biden is the only president who hasn't sat down for an interview with them.

The whole article is a fun read, but here's a couple excerpts.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/04/25/new-york-times-biden-white-house-00154219

quote:

The Petty Feud Between the NYT and the White House

Biden’s people think they’re “entitled.” The Times says “they’re not being realistic.”

(....)

According to interviews with two dozen people on both sides who were granted anonymity to discuss a sensitive subject, the relationship between the Democratic president and the country’s newspaper of record — for years the epitome of a liberal press in the eyes of conservatives — remains remarkably tense, beset by misunderstandings, grudges and a general lack of trust. Complaints that were long kept private are even spilling into public view, with campaign aides in Wilmington going further than their colleagues in the White House and routinely blasting the paper’s coverage in emails, posts on social media and memos.

Although the president’s communications teams bristle at coverage from dozens of outlets, the frustration, and obsession, with the Times is unique, reflecting the resentment of a president with a working-class sense of himself and his team toward a news organization catering to an elite audience — and a deep desire for its affirmation of their work. On the other side, the newspaper carries its own singular obsession with the president, aggrieved over his refusal to give the paper a sit-down interview that Publisher AG Sulzberger and other top editors believe to be its birthright.
I'm sure some of you will get a kick out of this name:

quote:

Biden aides largely view the election as an existential choice for the country, high stakes that they believe justify tougher tactics toward the Times and the press as a whole. Some Times reporters have found themselves cut off by sources after publishing pieces the Bidens and top aides didn’t like. Columnist Maureen Dowd, for example, complained to colleagues that she stopped hearing from White House officials after a column on Hunter Biden. For many Times veterans, such actions suggest that the Trump era has warped many Democrats’ expectations of journalists.
(Nooooo... really???)

Turns out that Biden just doesn't give out interviews in general. And the NYT's editors took that personally:

quote:

But the pleas for an interview have gone nowhere. As Sulzberger often tells colleagues and as he and Kahn have stressed in private conversations with the administration, every modern president since Franklin Delano Roosevelt has done an interview with the Times. That, however, is an argument deemed uncompelling by Biden aides and one that, to some White House officials, smacks of entitlement. Plus, Biden has sat for interviews with only two print reporters in more than three years (Josh Boak of the Associated Press and Evan Osnos of The New Yorker, who earned Biden’s trust during a lengthy interview during the 2020 campaign that he turned into a book). He has, of course, been eager to engage with columnists he knows and trusts, two of whom happen to work at the Times.

In Sulzberger’s view, according to two people familiar with his private comments on the subject, only an interview with a paper like the Times can verify that the 81-year-old Biden is still fit to hold the presidency. Beyond that, he has voiced concerns that Biden doing so few expansive interviews with experienced reporters could set a dangerous precedent for future administrations, according to a third person familiar with the publisher’s thinking. Sulzberger himself was part of a group from the Times that sat down with Trump, who gave the paper several interviews despite his rantings about its coverage. If Trump could do it, Sulzberger believes, so can Biden.

“All these Biden people think that the problem is Peter Baker or whatever reporter they’re mad at that day,” one Times journalist said. “It’s A.G. He’s the one who is pissed [that] Biden hasn’t done any interviews and quietly encourages all the tough reporting on his age.”

Also, NYT Pitchbot gets a mention:

quote:

Even if some of the hard feelings toward the Times have eased somewhat with time — several White House reporters, after verbally reiterating their willingness to abide by the administration’s embargo rules, were added back to the “tier one” list earlier this year — officials in the Biden press shop remain frustrated that the coverage hasn’t changed. The paper continues to serve up fodder for the “NYT Pitchbot’’ account on X, which has amassed a large following (including almost the entire Biden press shop) by mocking the paper’s perceived negativity toward the president and its often euphemistic-laden, soft focus coverage of Trump.

Bates, the deputy press secretary, has developed an online correspondence with the operator of the Pitchbot account and occasionally shared material for potential posts, two people familiar with the press shop said. During last year’s White House Correspondents Dinner, Biden joked about confusing the Times’ coverage of his age with Pitchbot’s tweets. “I love that guy,” Biden said of Pitchbot, before a subtle parting shot at the Times on a frequency only Times staffers might hear. “I should do an interview with him.”
Considering that the Times is mad that Biden won't give them an interview, that's pretty vicious.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 26, 2024

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Uglycat posted:

Hey guys

If your gunna do medium risk direct actions, like encampment

Make sure you have a photographer that's savvy
A medic
A green hat lawyer
When arrested, go limp. Takes 4 to carry you off, wears out the pigs, and your media team gets epic pics of you bloodied and limp with 4 military cosplayers carrying you to a cage

From experience

Also

Crazies and agents and clowns will show up.
Them's the breaks.

fwiw "going limp" legally means resisting arrest, so if you want an added charge do that

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Goa Tse-tung posted:

fwiw "going limp" legally means resisting arrest, so if you want an added charge do that

They're gonna hit all the protestors with that anyways, when have cops not slapped "resisting arrest" onto literally every possible situation they could?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Iamgoofball posted:

They're gonna hit all the protestors with that anyways, when have cops not slapped "resisting arrest" onto literally every possible situation they could?

Me, when I was arrested at the BLM protests. They didn't exactly roll out the red carpet of hospitality, but I was cooperative and responded in a non-threatening way when talked to (although I was still outspoken about correcting fox news bullshit). I was held for the night and released with an appearance ticket for disorderly conduct and my lawyer got the charge dropped.

Another guy spent the night swearing at the cops and trying to kick them and generally being as difficult as possible and he had a much worse ride.

Not saying that you need to give the pigs the benefit of the doubt, but once you're pinched, you can only ever make things worse for yourself.

As an aside, the feds were much nicer than the city cops they turned us over to.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Back on Boston police brutality for a sec, I can’t believe I forgot about during the George Floyd protests when Boston cops were caught on their own bodycams bragging about hitting protesters with their cars.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Back on Boston police brutality for a sec, I can’t believe I forgot about during the George Floyd protests when Boston cops were caught on their own bodycams bragging about hitting protesters with their cars.

I went to those protests. I’ll never forget when BPD shut down the T for no reason, blocking us in to terrorize us. Instead of peacefully dispersing, we were running for my life from cop cars and tear gas. I truly learned that ACAB that day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I remember back in the 1990s when protests were a thing people took their kids and dogs to.

Hell, 2006.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Psawhn posted:

Also, NYT Pitchbot gets a mention:

Considering that the Times is mad that Biden won't give them an interview, that's pretty vicious.

I think you forgot to emphasize the part where a Biden Deputy Press Secretary is contributing memes to the Pitchbot's Twitter account.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The latest inflation numbers are out.

Inflation fell slower than expected for the second month in a row.

Expectations were that inflation would be down to 2.6% with a 0.2% rise. Actual data came in with a 2.7% rate and 0.3% rise.

Last month, the expected rise was also 0.2%, but came in at 0.3%.

Housing drove the majority of all inflation and rising gas prices, electricity, and car insurance were the areas with the largest percentage increase.

Stripping out "volatile" sectors like energy left the overall inflation rate unchanged from last month.

This result supports concerns that the final 0.5% to 0.75% of inflation above the 2% goal may be much stickier than expected.

0.5% over the goal isn't a huge deal on its own, but it also signals that a large shock could send it shooting back up again and the instability makes economists nervous that even though inflation has largely been beaten down to almost normal levels, that it may be tenuous and vulnerable to large economic shocks.

Economic growth and consumer spending were both still strong. Consumer spending came in way above expectations (0.8% increase vs. 0.5% predicted increase) and GDP growth came in at 1.6%, but estimates had it at least 2%.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1783839142339543060

quote:

CNN — Inflation remained stubbornly high last month.

The Personal Consumption Expenditures price index accelerated to 2.7% for the year ended in March. That rate was above economists’ expectations for a 2.6% gain and landed above February’s reading of 2.5%.

On a monthly basis, prices rose 0.3%, unchanged from the pace seen in February.

While many economists prefer to measure the nation’s inflation levels using the monthly Consumer Price Index, the Fed targets inflation through PCE.

When stripping out energy and food prices (categories that tend to be quite volatile), the “core” PCE index held steady at 2.8%.

Consumer spending remained strong, jumping 0.8% from the month before. Economists were expecting a 0.5% gain.

This story is developing and will be updated.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 26, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Lol at the NYT bitching about fairness. They've always been poo poo but have hit the turbo button on catering to fascists over the last 10 years. Pissing them off makes me like Biden way more.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Psawhn posted:

Here's a fun piece that I think the regulars here would like.

I think there is a deep sense of irony in Biden being seen as press-hostile. He arguably made one of the most sympathetic public appearances with Stephen Colber', a comedian. That was some time ago, though. But Nixon had the freaking FBI hounding press people he didn't like! What's the standard here, NYT?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NYT never got over the fact that WaPo had the Pentagon papers and broke Watergate, so they are constantly trying to get a story of equal weight. Hence the insane level of attention to Hillary's emails.

So Biden should do long form sitdown with the Post. Anyway, Axios is coming back with the chin music today, the internal self regard and reflexive defensiveness of the WHCA never fails.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1783798040156881164

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

Me, when I was arrested at the BLM protests. They didn't exactly roll out the red carpet of hospitality, but I was cooperative and responded in a non-threatening way when talked to (although I was still outspoken about correcting fox news bullshit). I was held for the night and released with an appearance ticket for disorderly conduct and my lawyer got the charge dropped.

Another guy spent the night swearing at the cops and trying to kick them and generally being as difficult as possible and he had a much worse ride.

Not saying that you need to give the pigs the benefit of the doubt, but once you're pinched, you can only ever make things worse for yourself.

As an aside, the feds were much nicer than the city cops they turned us over to.

Going limp is different than antagonizing them. I mean, going limp will antagonize them just as anything short of complete and immediate obeisance will, but it's much less likely to hold up in court especially if you can get video evidence either through body cam footage or preferably an independent photographer.

Still, if you're planning on doing this sort of thing you should be prepared for any and all unjust consequences - arrest records, fines, brutality and injury, and lawsuits for cops who hurt themselves brutalizing you.

Well-organized protests will demarcate a clear point where anyone not willing to get arrested (and hopefully have training on how to handle the whole process) should leave, though there's always the potential the police will escalate unexpectedly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

I think there is a deep sense of irony in Biden being seen as press-hostile. He arguably made one of the most sympathetic public appearances with Stephen Colber', a comedian. That was some time ago, though. But Nixon had the freaking FBI hounding press people he didn't like! What's the standard here, NYT?

He's not press hostile in a way that Trump is, but he is very averse to one-on-one interviews and access. He gives very few sit-down interviews, doesn't have a reporter embedded in the White House/campaign, strongly opposes leaking things to the press for stories because he wants staff to hash it out in private, and generally only addresses the press once a day at the morning gaggle + whenever they have a big press conference.

Compare that to McCain, who was beloved by the press, because he had a team of reporters allowed to just hang out on The Straight Talk Express, did tons of TV shows, leaked tons of things to favorite reporters who got scoops and access, and was available all the time on the bus.

Even Trump had Maggie Habberman basically live at the WH and be the administration's personal leak source.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lol at the NYT bitching about fairness. They've always been poo poo but have hit the turbo button on catering to fascists over the last 10 years. Pissing them off makes me like Biden way more.

Reminder that the Times was full of apologia to Hitler during his rise to power

NYT have always been fascist sympathizers

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Deranged South Dakota governor has admitted she brutally killed her 14 month old hunting dog because it wasn’t good at being a hunting dog. Psycho wrote it into her book :psyduck:

edit: For those seeing this originally https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/apr/26/trump-kristi-noem-shot-dog-and-goat-book

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 26, 2024

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Going limp is different than antagonizing them. I mean, going limp will antagonize them just as anything short of complete and immediate obeisance will, but it's much less likely to hold up in court especially if you can get video evidence either through body cam footage or preferably an independent photographer.

Still, if you're planning on doing this sort of thing you should be prepared for any and all unjust consequences - arrest records, fines, brutality and injury, and lawsuits for cops who hurt themselves brutalizing you.

Well-organized protests will demarcate a clear point where anyone not willing to get arrested (and hopefully have training on how to handle the whole process) should leave, though there's always the potential the police will escalate unexpectedly.

My point is that when you are arrested, a certain amount of poo poo is going to happen to you based on a lot of things out of your control. The things in your control can only make this worse, not better. It is at that point you should start prioritizing your own safety and keep your head down.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nonsense posted:

Deranged South Dakota governor has admitted she brutally killed her 14 month old hunting dog because it wasn’t good at being a hunting dog. Psycho wrote it into her book :psyduck:

Do you have a quote or a link? 14 months old??? Surely you mean years?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DarkHorse posted:

Reminder that the Times was full of apologia to Hitler during his rise to power

NYT have always been fascist sympathizers

That's not great but I'm pretty sure there is no personnel overlap between today and Hitler's rise to power

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Both of the above posts about Kristi Noem are bad because it would've been easy to include an article and it was easy to Google one. She wrote in her autobiography about she killed one of her dogs and one of her goats because she didn't like their personalities.

quote:

“Cricket was a wirehair pointer, about 14 months old,” the South Dakota governor writes in a new book, adding that the dog, a female, had an “aggressive personality” and needed to be trained to be used for hunting pheasant. ...

“I hated that dog,” Noem writes, adding that Cricket had proved herself “untrainable”, “dangerous to anyone she came in contact with” and “less than worthless … as a hunting dog”.

“At that moment,” Noem says, “I realised I had to put her down.”

Noem, who also represented her state in Congress for eight years, got her gun, then led Cricket to a gravel pit.

“It was not a pleasant job,” she writes, “but it had to be done. And after it was over, I realised another unpleasant job needed to be done.”

Incredibly, Noem’s tale of slaughter is not finished.

Her family, she writes, also owned a male goat that was “nasty and mean”, because it had not been castrated. Furthermore, the goat smelled “disgusting, musky, rancid” and “loved to chase” Noem’s children, knocking them down and ruining their clothes.

Noem decided to kill the unnamed goat the same way she had just killed Cricket the dog. But though she “dragged him to a gravel pit”, the goat jumped as she shot and therefore survived the wound. Noem says she went back to her truck, retrieved another shell, then “hurried back to the gravel pit and put him down”.

At that point, Noem writes, she realised a construction crew had watched her kill both animals. The startled workers swiftly got back to work, she writes, only for a school bus to arrive and drop off Noem’s children.

“Kennedy looked around confused,” Noem writes of her daughter, who asked: “Hey, where’s Cricket?”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/apr/26/trump-kristi-noem-shot-dog-and-goat-book

It's exactly the same mistake as Romney's story about strapping his dog's carrier to the top of his car. A politician tries to signal practicality and grit in their autobiography, but they go too far by telling a story where they treat a dog more like property than like a family member.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 26, 2024

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if she killed basically a puppy because she gave up on training it to be a hunter.

Edit: it is both worse and exactly as I suspected.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 26, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

He's not press hostile in a way that Trump is, but he is very averse to one-on-one interviews and access. He gives very few sit-down interviews, doesn't have a reporter embedded in the White House/campaign, strongly opposes leaking things to the press for stories because he wants staff to hash it out in private, and generally only addresses the press once a day at the morning gaggle + whenever they have a big press conference.

Compare that to McCain, who was beloved by the press, because he had a team of reporters allowed to just hang out on The Straight Talk Express, did tons of TV shows, leaked tons of things to favorite reporters who got scoops and access, and was available all the time on the bus.

Even Trump had Maggie Habberman basically live at the WH and be the administration's personal leak source.

I understand it's bad for NYT's business that Biden doesn't chat them up, but if we go with the old canard that POTUS is the most challenging, at least the most time-consuming, job there is, should he really be? Biden still being veep doing tours on the funny talk shows, fine, it's not like the veep does anything of note. I think that's a mis-quote from mister Biden himself.

The office of the president gives him ample opportunity to voice out his views and policies, you (the US, not you personally Leon!) have all sorts of more or less legally mandated speaking events for this express purpose. And there is the uglier side that Biden being an old might be leery about having a one-on-one interview as he might have an oopsy daisy. As cynical as it is, people in his orbit must be aware of these risks. If the NYT feels bad about it, that's too bad.

Actually come to think of it, the age thing is a sad situation, Nixon did his best press long after he left the office. And Bill Clinton played the sax on a popular teevee show, too.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/apr/26/trump-kristi-noem-shot-dog-and-goat-book

She is a very bad woman, sorry for not including this originally. She also killed a goat.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Rappaport posted:

I understand it's bad for NYT's business that Biden doesn't chat them up, but if we go with the old canard that POTUS is the most challenging, at least the most time-consuming, job there is, should he really be?

The office of the president gives him ample opportunity to voice out his views and policies, you (the US, not you personally Leon!) have all sorts of more or less legally mandated speaking events for this express purpose.

I'm not totally sure what the second paragraph is describing except for the State of the Union (which is actually mostly tradition, the Constitutional law surrounding it is very vague and can be fulfilled by the President sending a written letter as frequently or infrequently as he feels like it) or inaugural addresses.

Regardless, a speaking event isn't the same thing as an interview. A speaking event enables the President to communicate the ideas he'd like to discuss, which is good for him, but an interview enables the public to directly confront the President about the issues he'd rather not discuss, which is essential to a representative democracy.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 26, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nonsense posted:

She is a very bad woman, sorry for not including this originally. She also killed a goat.

That whole story is psychotic and she ends it by using it as an example of how she is a good politician. Wild and horrible.

My wife and I foster older dogs and a lot of them have (or had) health and "behavioral" problems, but they are able to be trained or grow out of them. The vast majority of "behavioral problems" are the result of bad owners/training and come from fear responses or prey drive. 14 months is way too young to be declaring a dog untrainable and executing it.

quote:

She includes her story about the ill-fated Cricket, she says, to illustrate her willingness, in politics as well as in South Dakota life, to do anything “difficult, messy and ugly” if it simply needs to be done.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

zoux posted:

NYT never got over the fact that WaPo had the Pentagon papers and broke Watergate, so they are constantly trying to get a story of equal weight. Hence the insane level of attention to Hillary's emails.

The Pentagon Papers were a NYT scoop. The WaPo had copies too but the NYT broke the story.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It's exactly the same mistake as Romney's story about strapping his dog's carrier to the top of his car. A politician tries to signal practicality and grit in their autobiography, but they go too far by telling a story where they treat a dog more like property than like a family member.

The difference is that Romney's story is one dumb decision that stressed out the dog for a time and Noem's story is the sort of thing you'd submit when seeking approval for a 5150 hold

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There's so much wild stuff in that Noem story, but the part that sticks out to me as the weirdest is that after she shot her dog, she thought, "I have a few other animals I would like to shoot. Might as well turn this pit into a mass grave and get it all over with at once." Then, she goes to find another animal and bring them there to be executed. She only stops when the construction crew notices her.

And the last sentence is either an incredibly fake "I don't even care about politics, I'm not a professional politician" attempt or a tiny hint of self-awareness at the end:

quote:

“I guess if I were a better politician I wouldn’t tell the story here.”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

That whole story is psychotic and she ends it by using it as an example of how she is a good politician. Wild and horrible.

My wife and I foster older dogs and a lot of them have (or had) health and "behavioral" problems, but they are able to be trained or grow out of them. The vast majority of "behavioral problems" are the result of bad owners/training and come from fear responses or prey drive. 14 months is way too young to be declaring a dog untrainable and executing it.

It really is amazing how fundamentally lazy fascists are. No matter the problem, let's pick the dumbest, most violent answer that requires the least thought.

It really is "for every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" as an ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

The Pentagon Papers were a NYT scoop. The WaPo had copies too but the NYT broke the story.

You are correct, I don't know why associated the PP with the post primarily.