Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sundae posted:

As much as I hate to admit it, I can absolutely understand why insurers would try so hard to keep from covering Ozempic / Wegovy / Mounjaro / etc.

Here's a 90-day of my 5mg-dose Mounjaro, as an example. I am fortunate to have good insurance, or I would simply not be able to take the medication.

I know the insurers pay a different rate and all, but with how prevalent the weight-loss equivalents of this medication could become with wider adoption, even paying 1/4 of that rate would be catastrophic to their margins. Not that I give a poo poo about their margins, but I understand why they care.

Yep, at bare minimum it should absolutely cover cases of actual obesity. It's not just a cosmetic thing to get out of the obese range; it's a serious thing and cuts the likelihood of other medical conditions by doing so.

Jesus Christ, I'm on Ozempic and that's like $1000+ a month, but I pay $25 after insurance. It's kind of a moot point, since Novo Nordisk makes semaglutide meds for like $5 per 3ml injection tube. That 200-2800% markup is literally keeping the entire Danish economy in the black, it's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The NHTSA released the findings of their multiyear study of Tesla self-driving safety and found that Tesla FSD was involved hundreds of crashes and dozens of deaths.

That's not what the loving article says at all. The report found Autopilot being involved, not Full-Self Driving (FSD). The report "only" found 75 instances where FSD was involved, not "hundreds."

What Tesla calls Autopilot is what other companies call things like "Lane Assistance" or the feature where it automatically adjusts your cruise control speed to match the traffic ahead of you. Tesla and Elmo 100% call it Autopilot to mislead drivers.

I'm sure you know the distinction between Autopilot and FSD so I'm not sure why you're doing the same thing that Elmo is doing and mixing them up. The entire report seems to be about Autopilot being misleading.
[/quote]

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Boris Galerkin posted:

That's not what the loving article says at all. The report found Autopilot being involved, not Full-Self Driving (FSD). The report "only" found 75 instances where FSD was involved, not "hundreds."

What Tesla calls Autopilot is what other companies call things like "Lane Assistance" or the feature where it automatically adjusts your cruise control speed to match the traffic ahead of you. Tesla and Elmo 100% call it Autopilot to mislead drivers.

I'm sure you know the distinction between Autopilot and FSD so I'm not sure why you're doing the same thing that Elmo is doing and mixing them up. The entire report seems to be about Autopilot being misleading.

The title of the article was:

quote:

Tesla’s Autopilot and Full Self-Driving linked to hundreds of crashes, dozens of deaths

And the article cites both FSD and Autopilot as being deceptive:

quote:

Drivers using Autopilot or the system’s more advanced sibling, Full Self-Driving, “were not sufficiently engaged in the driving task,” and Tesla’s technology “did not adequately ensure that drivers maintained their attention on the driving task,” NHTSA concluded.

quote:

In its report, the agency found that Autopilot — and, in some cases, FSD — was not designed to keep the driver engaged in the task of driving.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/26/24141361/tesla-autopilot-fsd-nhtsa-investigation-report-crash-death

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The title of the article was:

And the article cites both FSD and Autopilot as being deceptive:

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/26/24141361/tesla-autopilot-fsd-nhtsa-investigation-report-crash-death

Then the article is completely wrong because the report that the article is sourcing does not mention FSD except for just one single time. The report is about crashes involving Autopilot, and FSD was only mentioned as a footnote (it was identified as involved with 75 out of 956 crashes it investigated).

quote:

Notably, the term “Autopilot” does not imply an L2 assistance feature, but rather elicits the idea of drivers not being in control. This terminology may lead drivers to believe that the automation has greater capabilities than it does and invite drivers to overly trust the automation. Peer vehicles generally use more conservative terminology like “assist,” “sense,” or “team” to imply that the driver and automation are intended to work together, with the driver supervising the automation.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-sanction-israeli-military-units-accused-human-rights/story?id=109651562

Biden and Blinken have announced they will not be sanctioning the child torture rapists in the IDF in direct violation of the Leahy Laws.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Then the article is completely wrong because the report that the article is sourcing does not mention FSD except for just one single time. The report is about crashes involving Autopilot, and FSD was only mentioned as a footnote (it was identified as involved with 75 out of 956 crashes it investigated).

That would seem to indicate that FSD is part of the 'hundreds of crashes' though. And in fact the report seems to conflate Autopilot and FSD since it is mentioned as a part of the Autopilot crashes. It's not even in a footnote, it's in the chart breaking down the crashes involving Autopilot. It's in there under 'Condition' with 'Frontal Plane Struck Vehicle / Object / Person in travel path' and such.

Why have you come in so blazing hot about this?

koolkal posted:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-sanction-israeli-military-units-accused-human-rights/story?id=109651562

Biden and Blinken have announced they will not be sanctioning the child torture rapists in the IDF in direct violation of the Leahy Laws.

This seems to be a bit misleading. Namely, Mike Johnson released an undated letter, so it is completely unknown when the 'we won't sanction them for now, as we're seeing if they'll bring them to justice to satisfy the Leahy laws' letter was written. So it could easily be before the recent reports that the US planned to sanction them. The US did just state a few days ago that they were in remediation with Israel about it, which is a standard step before sanctioning or not.

It'd be cool if Israel threw the guys into jail forever or they got sanctioned over it, though.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 26, 2024

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

As much as I hate to admit it, I can absolutely understand why insurers would try so hard to keep from covering Ozempic / Wegovy / Mounjaro / etc.

Here's a 90-day of my 5mg-dose Mounjaro, as an example. I am fortunate to have good insurance, or I would simply not be able to take the medication.

I know the insurers pay a different rate and all, but with how prevalent the weight-loss equivalents of this medication could become with wider adoption, even paying 1/4 of that rate would be catastrophic to their margins. Not that I give a poo poo about their margins, but I understand why they care.

Yep, at bare minimum it should absolutely cover cases of actual obesity. It's not just a cosmetic thing to get out of the obese range; it's a serious thing and cuts the likelihood of other medical conditions by doing so.

I pay $300/month from a local compounding pharmacy and it's the same stuff with the same effects (I've used name brand as well). There's zero reason they should cost this much other than pharmaceutical greed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This might be a stupid question but what would sanctioning Israel's war crime divisions actually do? Isn't that usually for preventing working with or selling to certain businesses or nations? I'm not saying don't punish them, obviously, but is there something else about it I'm missing? Would sanctioning one of them prevent sales to the IDF in general?

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I pay $300/month from a local compounding pharmacy and it's the same stuff with the same effects (I've used name brand as well). There's zero reason they should cost this much other than pharmaceutical greed

Do you get any type of QC report with it? Where do they source the API from, given that all GLP-1 agonists are on patent right now? I'd be really curious to run a sample of what they're giving you on my mass spec but that seems like something my employer wouldn't love. Compounding pharmacies are notoriously sketchy.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Kchama posted:

This seems to be a bit misleading. Namely, Mike Johnson released an undated letter, so it is completely unknown when the 'we won't sanction them for now, as we're seeing if they'll bring them to justice to satisfy the Leahy laws' letter was written. So it could easily be before the recent reports that the US planned to sanction them. The US did just state a few days ago that they were in remediation with Israel about it, which is a standard step before sanctioning or not.

It'd be cool if Israel threw the guys into jail forever or they got sanctioned over it, though.

The State Dept report is from last year. Blinken said the US were considering sanctions following ProPublica leaking the report. There is now a report saying the US will not sanction and will allow Israel to attempt to remdiate.

What has been going on with the report these last several months? Because it sure looks like Blinken tried to bury it until a State Dept. employee leaked it at which point he said the US would consider sanctions and THEN Israel pushed back and said they would remediate.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Is Trump involved directly with any far-righters who've crossed the Rubicon into open antisemitism? Outside Kanye West going crazy and bringing Nick Fuentes to Mar-a-Lago?

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 27, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Kchama posted:

That would seem to indicate that FSD is part of the 'hundreds of crashes' though. And in fact the report seems to conflate Autopilot and FSD since it is mentioned as a part of the Autopilot crashes. It's not even in a footnote, it's in the chart breaking down the crashes involving Autopilot. It's in there under 'Condition' with 'Frontal Plane Struck Vehicle / Object / Person in travel path' and such.

No, the table is saying that the NHTSA investigated 956 crashes total where they thought Autopilot was involved. Of those 956 they excluded 131 because they couldn't determine if Autopilot was involved, 165 because it was the other car's fault, 81 because it wasn't related to Autopilot, 37 for various other reasons, and 75 because it involved FSD not Autopilot. The rest are broken down into Autopilot related conditions.

E: Elmo wants the average dumbass to think Autopilot and FSD are the same thing. Don't let him get what he wants.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 27, 2024

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Kagrenak posted:

Do you get any type of QC report with it? Where do they source the API from, given that all GLP-1 agonists are on patent right now? I'd be really curious to run a sample of what they're giving you on my mass spec but that seems like something my employer wouldn't love. Compounding pharmacies are notoriously sketchy.

My doctor did the due diligence for me, but compounding pharmacies are allowed to order the legitimate agonists from suppliers. That being said you are right there are a lot of shady ones and several have been caught providing counterfeit formulations or even sodium salt versions that aren't legal and come from chemical suppliers. You definitely have to be careful, but my point was the drugs could be MUCH cheaper. I saw an article a month or two ago that Novo Nordisk could still turn a profit at like $10/dose.

Edit: there was a report in the NYT that Norway's (or whatever country Novo is from) entire increase in GDP in 2023 (or maybe 2022) was from Novo Nordisk and without it they would have had 0% growth. The government was passing a bill to strip Novo out of their economic stats so they can have an accurate picture of the economy. These drugs are only getting started and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets to the point 15% or more of the population is on them. There is a stupid amount of money to be made.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 27, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I can't speak to specifics but the compounding pharmacy role in ozempic is white-hot contentious in healthcare lobbying and policy circles right now.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Because the cadence, tone of voice, and phrasing are also obviously off in this (funny as it is).

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

No, the table is saying that the NHTSA investigated 956 crashes total where they thought Autopilot was involved. Of those 956 they excluded 131 because they couldn't determine if Autopilot was involved, 165 because it was the other car's fault, 81 because it wasn't related to Autopilot, 37 for various other reasons, and 75 because it involved FSD not Autopilot. The rest are broken down into Autopilot related conditions.

E: Elmo wants the average dumbass to think Autopilot and FSD are the same thing. Don't let him get what he wants.

It does not say Analysis Exclude: FSD though. And the article says 'FSD and Autopilot' anyways, so it's not like it is saying they are one and the same. You just seem to be raging over basically nothing.

koolkal posted:

The State Dept report is from last year. Blinken said the US were considering sanctions following ProPublica leaking the report. There is now a report saying the US will not sanction and will allow Israel to attempt to remdiate.

What has been going on with the report these last several months? Because it sure looks like Blinken tried to bury it until a State Dept. employee leaked it at which point he said the US would consider sanctions and THEN Israel pushed back and said they would remediate.

The article states that a source says that they have to consult Israel first due to a 'special agreement' and that if Israel doesn't satisfy the law through the remediation then US Aid will be restricted. And just last Monday there was a press conference said that remediation has started. So unless the letter is very new, it seems to be potentially outdated.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 27, 2024

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

thats not his name

12 years a lurker
Aug 17, 2022

Devor posted:

But it's a much easier thing to justify when you are looking at it over the life of the patient from the socialized medicine standpoint, rather than a 1-year enrollment under your employer-sponsored plan

Short-termism isn't the problem, the weight loss drugs are far too expensive to get anywhere close to paying for themselves short or long term. Total healthcare expenditures in America are slightly over $1,000 per month per person. That includes everything: private insurance, public, out of pocket. https://www.cms.gov/data-research/statistics-trends-and-reports/national-health-expenditure-data/historical. Compare to the cost of the weight loss drugs which cost about the same and you need to keep taking to keep the weight off.

Once the Semaglutide patent expires and the drug is available generic in 2032, if we don't find any bad side effects between now and then, the insurance industry and employers will flip overnight from fighting these drugs to pushing them. The 2025 problem is access to the drugs; the 2045 problem may be pressure from your employer to take the drugs want it or not if you are overweight.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

12 years a lurker posted:

Short-termism isn't the problem, the weight loss drugs are far too expensive to get anywhere close to paying for themselves short or long term. Total healthcare expenditures in America are slightly over $1,000 per month per person. That includes everything: private insurance, public, out of pocket. https://www.cms.gov/data-research/statistics-trends-and-reports/national-health-expenditure-data/historical. Compare to the cost of the weight loss drugs which cost about the same and you need to keep taking to keep the weight off.

Once the Semaglutide patent expires and the drug is available generic in 2032, if we don't find any bad side effects between now and then, the insurance industry and employers will flip overnight from fighting these drugs to pushing them. The 2025 problem is access to the drugs; the 2045 problem may be pressure from your employer to take the drugs want it or not if you are overweight.

The latest study showed that almost 60% of users maintained their weight up to a year after quitting the drugs:

https://www.epicresearch.org/articles/many-patients-maintain-weight-loss-a-year-after-stopping-semaglutide-and-liraglutide

Many gained it back or even more but it does seem that a significant portion of people who lost weight on it can stop and keep it off. For myself I had been telling myself I was going to get back in the gym for two decades and I could never make it happen. I lost 60lbs on mounjaro and felt so good about it that I started going to the gym daily for the past 6 months and have made it a real habit. It's weird that I didn't find the motivation until I had lost the weight and it's anecdotal but I've had several other people I know have similar experiences. It tells me what we should really be doing is pairing these drugs with a wider program that involves more than just a weekly shot but is instead part of a comprehensive program addressing exercise habits and other things so that people have the best shot of not needing to be on them for life and keeping the weight off. Basically harnessing the big self esteem/energy boost you get when you lose a ton of weight and channeling it into more long term healthy habits.

As you say prices will eventually come down, and they could easily do so before the generics enter the picture if the companies were a bit less greedy, and when they do a large portion of the population is going to jump on these. With prices down the potential healthcare cost savings could be massive. Recent studies are showing it has a lot of positive effects outside just weight loss and is even looking like it can help people kick addictions.

For my part I recommend anybody who is interested in getting on one of these drugs try it out. It was nothing short of a miracle for me. The weight melted off. I never realized how much food noise I constantly had until it was gone. Even before I had lost any real weight in the first couple weeks I just felt massively better and didn't have the usual energy swings during the day I had before. I experienced zero side effects. It's just massively changed my life for the better in so many ways.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

What's really interesting to me is that I expect to see a big pushback on these drugs from certain sectors because as more people get on them it could literally effect their bottom line. Walmart put out a report that said their customers who fill prescriptions for these drugs through the Walmart pharmacy end up spending 20% less on average on groceries. If prices drop and we see 20% of the population on them that's going to have real negative effects on sales junk food, groceries, etc. I expect to see hit pieces popping up and I've already seen some articles that are wildly over-negative and scary. I certainly can't prove it but it wouldn't surprise me if that's coming from the people on the wrong end of this.

The whole thing is just fascinating to me because it has so many implications and downstream effects. Also just my own personal experience on it was eye opening. Obesity and diabetes is so widespread in our modern world a miracle drug coming along with no major side effects that wipes it out is insane.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 27, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

D-Pad posted:

What's really interesting to me is that I expect to see a big pushback on these drugs from certain sectors because as more people get on them it could literally effect their bottom line. Walmart put out a report that said their customers who fill prescriptions for these drugs through the Walmart pharmacy end up spending 20% less on average on groceries. If prices drop and we see 20% of the population on them that's going to have real negative effects on sales junk food, groceries, etc. I expect to see hit pieces popping up and I've already seen some articles that are wildly over-negative and scary. I certainly can't prove it but it wouldn't surprise me if that's coming from the people on the wrong end of this.

I don't believe you're correct on the consumptive practices impact. Do you have the source you're relying on for that? The Walmart statement I've seen is at root one sentence "we're seeing less units, slightly fewer calories" from the CEO in a bloomberg interview.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

D-Pad posted:

On the other end of things, maybe we'll see some advocacy from food companies for differen drugs

Marijuana 'Munchies' Are Boosting Demand for Doordash, Uber Eats

www.bloomberg.com posted:

The munchies are real.

Daily users of marijuana are reshaping the consumer economy by buying more frozen food, and they’re also ordering on delivery apps such as DoorDash and Uber Eats more than average, a new study found. One of their favorite delivery foods: Little Caesars pizza.

Consumers of cannabis with psychoactive THC skew younger and lower income, according to the study of almost 6,000 cannabis users released Thursday by Numerator, a data and tech company. Two thirds use a few times per week and 38% do so daily. They allot more of their grocery bill than average to snacks and beverages — especially sports and energy drinks, beer, frozen sandwiches, spirits, frozen pizza and frozen appetizers.

“Daily THC users have even more pronounced spikes in almost every category studied, with notable differences from regular THC users in candy, herbs & spices, frozen potato snacks, and packaged sweet snacks,” Numerator said in a press release.

Cannabis use’s impact on alcohol consumption was mixed, with more frequent users spending less than infrequent users. More than one in three THC users say they reduced alcohol consumption since taking up cannabis — yet they are still more likely overall than non-users to buy alcohol.

Fast-food chains and delivery services may be the biggest beneficiaries. THC users are more likely to have visited a limited-service restaurant or used a food delivery app in the past three months leading up to April. DoorDash, Uber Eats and Little Caesars were among the most used.

“These behaviors are even more pronounced among daily THC users,” Numerator’s analysis found. Users of CBD, which is the nonpsychoactive compound of marijuana that is marketed as having relaxing qualities, were by comparison older, higher income and looking to manage health issues.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't believe you're correct on the consumptive practices impact. Do you have the source you're relying on for that? The Walmart statement I've seen is at root one sentence "we're seeing less units, slightly fewer calories" from the CEO in a bloomberg interview.

I cannot find the original article that pegged the decrease at 20% but I swear I read that. All the articles I'm finding mention it being less but don't put any numbers on it:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/ozempic-drug-users-are-buying-less-food-walmart-says-rcna119000

Here's a separate from Walmart survey with respondents saying they spent 9% less on groceries when on Ozempic:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-16/ozempic-users-cut-grocery-spending-by-up-to-9-survey-finds

This article goes into what sectors will be winners and losers:

https://markets.businessinsider.com..._source=markets

quote:

Morgan Stanley surveyed 300 patients taking GLP-1 drugs and found that calorie intake dropped 20%-30% on a daily basis. Participants said they cut back the most on foods high in sugar and fat, as well as sugary drinks.

In fact, 77% said they visited fast-food restaurants less frequently, and 74% said they visited pizza restaurants less. That could be bad news for companies including but not limited to Domino's Pizza, Krispy Kreme, and KFC-parent Yum Brands.

If caloric intake drops 20%-30% I would expect to see a similar, if not quite as big, drop in amount of groceries purchased.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 27, 2024

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Matt Levine has gone into it several times, but the idea of negative consumption goods is weird, doubly so with the prevalence of index funds.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what if walmart made ads for other consumables or life styles to make up for this market shift? I thought the freemarket was suppose to be agile, nimble, [insert another synonym for these type of words here]. sounds like this is them being lazy parasitic lazy slothes that just want to play the same metagame forever.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Young Freud posted:

Jesus Christ, I'm on Ozempic and that's like $1000+ a month, but I pay $25 after insurance. It's kind of a moot point, since Novo Nordisk makes semaglutide meds for like $5 per 3ml injection tube. That 200-2800% markup is literally keeping the entire Danish economy in the black, it's ridiculous.
It's not the Danes that are price gouging you.
Finnish list price for Ozempic is 112.61 € and it is literally illegal to sell it for any other price.

Price controls ftw.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

what if walmart made ads for other consumables or life styles to make up for this market shift? I thought the freemarket was suppose to be agile, nimble, [insert another synonym for these type of words here]. sounds like this is them being lazy parasitic lazy slothes that just want to play the same metagame forever.

Funny enough after the original report came out and their stock price took a hit they came back out and said actually ozempic users spending increased overall because spending in health and fitness related products increased enough to offset the loss in grocery spending

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/walmart-customers-ozempic-spend-more-morgan-stanley-2023-10%3famp

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Issaries posted:

It's not the Danes that are price gouging you.
Finnish list price for Ozempic is 112.61 € and it is literally illegal to sell it for any other price.

Price controls ftw.

The economy of Denmark has been significantly buttressed by Ozemlic according to multiple reports over a time period. Here is one
https://fortune.com/europe/2024/03/05/novo-nordisks-wegovy-and-ozempic-boom-saved-denmarks-gdp-from-a-no-growth-2023/

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
also somewhat related, RadioLab had a episode* about the history of weather forecasting, Walmart apparently thinks cloudy weather is good for steak sales, and Sunny clear weather is burger sales.

so they do micro coupon and ad deals to get synergy with these things. my gut feeling says this is a chicken or and egg loop, but whatever

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

D-Pad posted:

I cannot find the original article that pegged the decrease at 20% but I swear I read that. All the articles I'm finding mention it being less but don't put any numbers on it:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/ozempic-drug-users-are-buying-less-food-walmart-says-rcna119000

This is citing the bloomberg interview I linked.

D-Pad posted:

Here's a separate from Walmart survey with respondents saying they spent 9% less on groceries when on Ozempic:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-16/ozempic-users-cut-grocery-spending-by-up-to-9-survey-finds

This isn't Walmart, it's a Numerator report (not particularly high quality, it's survey it appears) and it's 6-9%.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

This isn't Walmart, it's a Numerator report (not particularly high quality, it's survey it appears) and it's 6-9%.
Ha, that's the same company doing the frozen food / cannabis report. I guess this is their niche.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Young Freud posted:

That 200-2800% markup is literally keeping the entire Danish economy in the black, it's ridiculous.

The traffic in Bagsværd and Søborg is getting to be *poo poo* from all the new office space Novo is leasing to house the *thousands* of new hires based on Ozempic profits.

Source: my commute to work

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

koolkal posted:

Is there any more info available about the specifics of these violations? That article is pretty vague (I'm not questioning the severity, would just like a source to use when discussing this with Israel apologists)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Is there any more info available about the specifics of these violations? That article is pretty vague (I'm not questioning the severity, would just like a source to use when discussing this with Israel apologists)

https://www.propublica.org/article/israel-gaza-blinken-leahy-sanctions-human-rights-violations

This does not have the actual report but does go over some of the violations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://x.com/az_resist/status/1784124442068873232

Do we consider it a positive sign when civilian auxiliaries are brought in to augment the official police forces to help repress political enemies? Surely this doesn't have any historical parallels, and won't give those civilian auxiliaries the sense that maybe there's more good work to be done without all that messy police oversight. I don't think that's ever happened.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Nonsense posted:

Reps. Ritchie Torres (D-N.Y.) and Mike Lawler (R-N.Y.) plan to introduce the College Oversight and Legal Updates Mandating Bias Investigations and Accountability (COLUMBIA) Act, in the wake of pro-Palestinian encampments, protests and arrests on college campuses nationwide.

The bill would allow the Department of Education to create a third-party monitor for antisemitic activity on college campuses that receive federal funding. The legislation was first reported by Jewish Insider.

Torres said in a statement announcing the bill that college antisemitism since Hamas invaded Israel on Oct. 7 has been “at an all-time high” and “American universities are not capable of handling it when left to their own devices.”

[i]The bill would allow the Department of Education to create a third-party monitor for antisemitic activity on college campuses that receive federal funding. The legislation was first reported by Jewish Insider.

Torres said in a statement announcing the bill that college antisemitism since Hamas invaded Israel on Oct. 7 has been “at an all-time high” and “American universities are not capable of handling it when left to their own devices.”

Torres said there are “blatant violation[s] of Jewish students’ civil rights” happening at schools across the country, and the federal government “cannot allow this to continue unchecked.”

https://jewishinsider.com/2024/04/ritchie-torres-mike-lawler-campus-antisemitism-legislation-columbia/

edit: Correction accepted, apologies

DC is out of control with their Israeli outrage talking points

Shameful that a democrat wants to go full blown Mcarthyism in service of a genocidal apartheid country.

And this guy is probably just going to vote against it for the clout, not because he actually cares about free speech. Even so, I hope the bill fails utterly.

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1784125453789270191?t=B74IpkRZmpnr8augranX3g

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

theCalamity posted:

And this guy is probably just going to vote against it for the clout, not because he actually cares about free speech. Even so, I hope the bill fails utterly.

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1784125453789270191?t=B74IpkRZmpnr8augranX3g

Yeah Massie is probably the most pro Russia legislator in the house, he isn't serious about any of that. It looks like a messaging bill that won't go anywhere, the sponsors are also in it for clout.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

theCalamity posted:

Shameful that a democrat wants to go full blown Mcarthyism in service of a genocidal apartheid country.

Massie is a contrarian first and foremost, he loves grandstanding.

He's my friends' representative (northern Kentucky) and he's real weird

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

The traffic in Bagsværd and Søborg is getting to be *poo poo* from all the new office space Novo is leasing to house the *thousands* of new hires based on Ozempic profits.

Source: my commute to work

Hilleroed and kalundborg also be poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m currently playing a game on my phone that I couldn’t install on my computer 25 years ago because it wasn’t powerful enough.

Vampire Survivors would have consumed the computing power of the entire planet in 1969