Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

vuk83 posted:

Hilleroed and kalundborg also be poo poo

Well plus Letbanen is not helping the O3 much is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Times has a big article up about the pier.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...ce=articleShare

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

D-Pad posted:

The whole thing is just fascinating to me because it has so many implications and downstream effects. Also just my own personal experience on it was eye opening. Obesity and diabetes is so widespread in our modern world a miracle drug coming along with no major side effects that wipes it out is insane.

I don't get why it's not just made ultra cheap or even given away, like, in the US at least companies want us to go out/order out to eat super heavy stuff and massive amounts of corn syrup all the time right? Like if there was a magic pill that was just like, sure, if you take care of yourself you can eat cheesesteaks all day instead of if you take care of yourself you'll stop getting worse I mean gently caress yeah.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't get why it's not just made ultra cheap or even given away, like, in the US at least companies want us to go out/order out to eat super heavy stuff and massive amounts of corn syrup all the time right? Like if there was a magic pill that was just like, sure, if you take care of yourself you can eat cheesesteaks all day instead of if you take care of yourself you'll stop getting worse I mean gently caress yeah.

The drugs don't work like that. Your body still has to obey the laws of physics.

The way they work is that they essentially stop your body from sending hunger signals to your brain once you get to a reasonable amount of calories. If you eat 4,000 calories on WeGovy you will be the exact same weight as if you eat 4,000 calories normally. If you are on WeGovy, you just won't have any desire to eat more and won't get hunger pangs or any other biological signals encouraging you to eat once you hit ~1,800 - 2,000 calories.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I still treasure the stories that came out of last holiday season where people discovered that they only enjoyed it because they could stuff their faces with food.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

One effect of Ozempic is that it actually reduces food cravings.

Edit: beaten. I didn't know that was the WHOLE way it worked though, I thought it also accelerated the metabolism. Good to learn

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The drugs don't work like that. Your body still has to obey the laws of physics.

The way they work is that they essentially stop your body from sending hunger signals to your brain once you get to a reasonable amount of calories. If you eat 4,000 calories on WeGovy you will be the exact same weight as if you eat 4,000 calories normally. If you are on WeGovy, you just won't have any desire to eat more and won't get hunger pangs or any other biological signals encouraging you to eat once you hit ~1,800 - 2,000 calories.

That owns even harder honestly, anyone who contributes to that becoming a generic is a hero

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

For added bonus, the data suggests that a meaningful number of people also have all sorts of impulsiveness curtailed, not just limited to their desire to eat.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Edit: beaten. I didn't know that was the WHOLE way it worked though, I thought it also accelerated the metabolism. Good to learn

It not messing with the metabolism is a great upside as far as I can tell since that cuts out a lot of the routes for dangerous side effects of like back when amphetamines were used as diet pills.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

single-mode fiber posted:

For added bonus, the data suggests that a meaningful number of people also have all sorts of impulsiveness curtailed, not just limited to their desire to eat.

Yeah gambling and drug/alcohol addictions seem to be affected as well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Neo Rasa posted:

That owns even harder honestly, anyone who contributes to that becoming a generic is a hero

The research, development, and testing for the drugs was very time-consuming and expensive, but the actual production isn't very expensive.

It goes generic in 2031 and currently costs about $5 to produce a month's supply, so generics could be as cheap as $10 a month.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It also slows gut motility so your stomach empties out slower and you stay full for longer. As others have pointed out it can help with addiction as well so it seems to be acting on the brains craving/desire system as a whole and not just specifically appetite. It also has a great effect on your blood glucose which is why it's originally a diabetic drug although I'm not sure if that is separate from or as a result of the other effects.

Like I said upthread, I had absolutely zero side effects. I know quite a few people on it and some do get nausea but that's about it. I think something like 10-15% of people are non-responders and it doesn't do much for them. It's always possible there are some side effects from staying on it for a very long time, but the first drug in this class of drugs came out in the early aughts and nothing has popped up so far. They are currently in development and trials for a daily pill form and there are also several new variants that are showing an even greater weight loss effect than the current ones.

It's hard to understand how revolutionary it is, especially in light of how bad almost all previous weight loss drugs were. I feel like all my life they've been promising a revolution in medicine but it seems to have finally arrived with all the new stuff coming out like gene therapies and other crazy cool stuff.

Edit: these drugs are peptides and there are quite a few other peptides that are showing some really impressive promise. BPC-157 is a really interesting one that has almost zero side effects in studies so far and greatly accelerates healing of many types of injuries as well as reducing inflammation and some other stuff. It does so well at increasing your bodies ability to recover that it's banned in professional sports although it really shouldn't be because it helps healing so much and doesn't really have negative side effects like so many PEs.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 28, 2024

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

D-Pad posted:

It also slows gut motility so your stomach empties out slower and you stay full for longer. As others have pointed out it can help with addiction as well so it seems to be acting on the brains craving/desire system as a whole and not just specifically appetite. It also has a great effect on your blood glucose which is why it's originally a diabetic drug although I'm not sure if that is separate from or as a result of the other effects.

Like I said upthread, I had absolutely zero side effects. I know quite a few people on it and some do get nausea but that's about it. I think something like 10-15% of people are non-responders and it doesn't do much for them. It's always possible there are some side effects from staying on it for a very long time, but the first drug in this class of drugs came out in the early aughts and nothing has popped up so far. They are currently in development and trials for a daily pill form and there are also several new variants that are showing an even greater weight loss effect than the current ones.

It's hard to understand how revolutionary it is, especially in light of how bad almost all previous weight loss drugs were. I feel like all my life they've been promising a revolution in medicine but it seems to have finally arrived with all the new stuff coming out like gene therapies and other crazy cool stuff.

Edit: these drugs are peptides and there are quite a few other peptides that are showing some really impressive promise. BPC-157 is a really interesting one that has almost zero side effects in studies so far and greatly accelerates healing of many types of injuries as well as reducing inflammation and some other stuff. It does so well at increasing your bodies ability to recover that it's banned in professional sports although it really shouldn't be because it helps healing so much and doesn't really have negative side effects like so many PEs.

I absolutely love the medicine as well and pray that it doesn't have some insane issue that pops up in 15 years like "causes carnivorous brain shrimp" or something. It is mindblowing to me how effective it has been since I started taking it.

Count me in on the other craving reductions also.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Morrow posted:

I still treasure the stories that came out of last holiday season where people discovered that they only enjoyed it because they could stuff their faces with food.

Going on a significant diet can give you self awareness of how food has replaced other activities in your life.

Suddenly you have to develop other hobbies!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't get why it's not just made ultra cheap or even given away, like, in the US at least companies want us to go out/order out to eat super heavy stuff and massive amounts of corn syrup all the time right?

Oracle posted:

Well there you go.

I predict it will not be allowed to go generic easily.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Cheesus posted:

Well there you go.

I predict it will not be allowed to go generic easily.

There is zero need to invent conspiracies between industries relying on human overconsumption when the simple "what will make the companies that produced this drug buckets full of money?" will fully explain its pricing and distribution.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Dead girl, live boy, and murdered dog

https://x.com/jmhorp/status/1784386024224755712?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Donald Trump is definitely a person who has shown an affinity towards animals in the past at least one time in his entire life yeah totally.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah Donald Trump is definitely a person who has shown an affinity towards animals in the past at least one time in his entire life yeah totally.

difference between this and brutally murdering a puppy on a whim

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

He has. I've seen more photos of Donald Trump embracing dogs than I have of any other living president. The man is the picture of affinity toward animals:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1189601417469841409

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

He doesn't dislike animals. He treats people the same way.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if trump was aware of this website he would have supported permabanning the dog bricker

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

lobster shirt posted:

if trump was aware of this website he would have supported permabanning the dog bricker

Donald Trump doesn't know what a dog even is

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-dogs_n_56b99a5ee4b04f9b57dafa54/amp

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mawarannahr posted:

He has. I've seen more photos of Donald Trump embracing dogs than I have of any other living president. The man is the picture of affinity toward animals:

Im on my phone. Someone post that pic of the eagle almost taking off his hand.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oracle posted:

People saying it has no side effects don't realize that when you start messing with dopamine reward loops, that does have a major side effect with depression. Like, the first week I was on Ozempic, I got so down, depressed and having suicidal ideation easier that it was noticeable. I had to look up if semaglutide and found it was on-label for a few medications and stories from early users that made it clear the drug had been making these changes. However, onceI found out that the drug was doing this, it became easier to manage these bouts.

What's interesting is Wegovy has "depression" as a side effect, but Ozempic doesn't, despite being essentially the same drug.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
when you think about it, eagles are just flying dogs

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Im on my phone. Someone post that pic of the eagle almost taking off his hand.

Came here to post this powerful work of photojournalism.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

People saying it has no side effects don't realize that when you start messing with dopamine reward loops, that does have a major side effect with depression. Like, the first week I was on Ozempic, I got so down, depressed and having suicidal ideation easier that it was noticeable. I had to look up if semaglutide and found it was on-label for a few medications and stories from early users that made it clear the drug had been making these changes. However, onceI found out that the drug was doing this, it became easier to manage these bouts.

What's interesting is Wegovy has "depression" as a side effect, but Ozempic doesn't, despite being essentially the same drug.

I noticed the Wegovy side effects also include, like, literally thyroid cancer

https://www.wegovy.com/taking-wegovy/side-effects.html

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I noticed the Wegovy side effects also include, like, literally thyroid cancer

https://www.wegovy.com/taking-wegovy/side-effects.html

The evidence seems to be accumulating that it increases your risk of thyroid cancer, mostly of one specific subtype by about 1.2-3X baseline. Thyroid cancer is around 2% of all cancers and MDC, the type most likely to have a real increased risk is 3-5% of those. Whatever increase in risk this brings seems worth it so far but is good to keep an eye on.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Arc Light posted:

pic 2 of 2

how the hell have i never seen this pic in the god drat almost 8 years

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Has she made any statements about the dog murdering? Like even to say the quotes were out of context?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Boris Galerkin posted:

Has she made any statements about the dog murdering? Like even to say the quotes were out of context?

She defended it by saying it happens "all the time" on farms and used the story to promote her new book.

https://twitter.com/KristiNoem/status/1783849977409671483

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

she doubled down and said she'd do it again.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Boris Galerkin posted:

"Yes, I am a monster and that is a good thing, libs."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

She defended it by saying it happens "all the time" on farms and used the story to promote her new book.

"I've also killed some horses recently" is certainly an interesting way to defend herself

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Donald Trump isn't going to be making the decision

e: that poo poo still blows my mind. spend a couple bucks to get a dog trainer? nope. rehome to someone who has more time to spend with an active puppy? nope. surrender it to a shelter so it can be adopted into a good home? nope.

shoot the puppy in the head in gravel pit? now we're talking

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 28, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Google says domesticated horses have a life expectancy of 25-30 years though so is she seriously saying euthanizing an old horse that has lived as full of a life that a farm horse could live is comparable to murdering a puppy?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

When the only tool you have is a hammer and a damaged brain, all problems look like a young puppy's face, I guess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PostNouveau posted:

"I've also killed some horses recently" is certainly an interesting way to defend herself

Just hinting at the upcoming part 2 of her memoirs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's a central tenet of fascism: no matter the problem, solve it with violence

Of course she's doubling down. All the other obvious solutions would have required either empathy or thought