Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

listening to afternoon npr, and they're talking about some new herbal supplement notdrug call Kratom, never heard of it, but im a lame straightedge nerd. also i dont live in FL. (the guest journalist are in FL)

seems kinda odd they would have a piece about some new supa danger drug before its widely/nationally known??

It's extremely known and widely used.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
You see a lot of concentrates which by most accounts have the same perils of other opiates: addiction, withdrawals, etc. I've known people who just use the herb as is and seem fine, and people who get weird and hazardously into the concentrates. There's good info in TCC.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Thanks for the link. That is most likely the explanation and it is a great piece of journalism.

I knew that a bunch of people had died from Kratom, but didn't realize it was in the hundreds in just Florida.

The head of the American Kratom Association (a wild title to hold) is an actual sociopath. This is just a tiny sample of his comments:

McClain “Mac” Haddow a.k.a. the head of the American Kratom Association (AKA).

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Is the appeal specifically because it is legal at the federal level and it is an ease of acquisition situation?

Or is there something special about the high/effects that is drawing people to use incredibly high concentrate blends?

I remember when it first came on the scene like 20 years ago, but it seemed really niche. I'm guessing part of the recent uptick is the crackdown on getting easy pain pills?

It's mostly the former but there's some of the latter. Some people treat it as opiates lite and a tool to move off harder stuff. Some as an alternative. Its rise is absolutely related to the crackdown on pill mills (as is our whole heron/fent epidemic imo) as people started looking for alternatives. It's also a quasi legal intoxicant that some find pleasurable so people use it, along with kava, as an alternative to drinking alcohol. In FL at least there are bars that serve flavored drinks with it, though they always advertise as Kava bars with Kratom being the shady 'real' draw.

I tried it a long time ago and it def gave me a feeling somewhat reminiscent of opiates, but the one prepared drink I had from the bar was too strong for my zero tolerance and I got violently sick. Since then I can't even smell the stuff without nausea.

That TBT article was illuminating, but I fear a ban will push a lot of users into the absolute meat grinder of illegal opiates. The way pill mills were shut down left a lot of people low and dry and kicked off the situation we have now with massive numbers of fatalities from non standardized dosing + fentanyl contamination. It's a situation that requires regulation,and a nuanced approach to navigate if there's any hope of a soft landing with minimum intervention-induced harm.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

You could have told me this was intended as a statue of Gavin Newsom David Bowie and I'd have believed it.

Ftfy

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Is there proof that a significant portion of problem-gamblers are people who are not aware that, in general, gamblers lose their money?

I think pretty much everyone knows heroin is bad for your health, gambling is bad for your budget, using your phone all day is bad for your productivity. People do these things *anyway*, not because they don't understand that what they're doing is going to impact them negatively.

And yet public health interventions protecting the lives and health of heroin users involve education beyond 'hey did you know this is bad'? A robust toolkit of knowledge about safer injections practices, narcan administration, etc. saves lives. This poo poo isn't binary and people, even those in the grip of addiction, are complex entities with multifactorial decision-making processes

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

mdemone posted:

Yes. Although as you say, there is little downside.

I think China prioritizes global stability and Russia really needs to cultivate that relationship so there's definitely some downside.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've had the following conversation with other people irl:

"Biden's too old, he needs to step aside and let someone else be the nominee."

"Okay, how about Kamala? She'd be the logical second choice."

"Ew, not her, I don't like her."

"Okay, how about Gavin Newsom then?"

"Ew, not him either."

"Okay, how about Dean Phillips? He's actually running in the primary."

"No, I don't like him either."

"Okay then, who would you like to see as the Dem nominee?"

":shrug:"

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
So if the embryos are children, will the parents face charges for leaving them in a freezer?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Which is gobsmacking because "the border" is just racism rebranded. Every actual study or analysis of immigration ever shows a massive net benefit to society from immigrants and a massive problem from cutting off Immigration. It's even true of the goddam Roman Empire. (https://acoup.blog/2021/07/16/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-iii-bigotry-and-diversity-at-rome/ )

The left wing failure to fight this issue is just utterly shameful.

Seriously. Theres so much potential for (correctly) framing the immigration situation as opportunity for the country but somehow there's no movement in that direction. It's pathetic.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 22, 2024

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

It is a tragedy that occurs to thousands every year. Antibiotic resistance is a serious and growing problem. In 2017, there were more than 20,000 MRSA-associated deaths in the United States.

But things might get better, as the Biden administration has undertaken an historic role in fighting back -- in 2022, the White House announced that the Department of Health and Human Services would invest $40 million to expand the role of biomanufacturing in antibiotics. We can only hope continued "moon shot" efforts, in particular private-public partnerships to encourage innovative approaches to drug development, can bring a halt to these deaths.

40 million dollars, glad to know the we're ready to commit the opening weekend box office of the failed Aquaman sequel to handling an existential crisis.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

somewhat related, reminds me of anti science spending arugments, even from an increasing number of non regressives "derrrr why are we wasting money on NASA,we should spend that money BLANK"

Eager Scientist: I'm at a public university doing important research on the biology of wuchereria bancrofti which could lead to novel treatments greatly reducing the disease burden of helminth infections around the world!

Politician: So you're saying you want to to spend TAX DOLLARS on worms?! When our veterans are struggling with homelessness?!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

Wait, did she kill another dog on a hunting trip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH9c0vmuGAI

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Biden and Trump have very high unfavorable numbers. Voting for someone who definitely won't win lets people participate in the election without the responsibility of picking a bad winner or stigma of picking a hated loser.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

dueling should be legal

Drake would still be cooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Musashi was an honorless dick who purposefully delayed duels and used illegal weapons (like a giant oar instead of a sword) against people he didn’t think he could actually beat.

Where’s that Fate Abridged tirade by Assassin about the poo poo he pulled against Sasaki Kojirou? Doesnt actually matter. Most of the poo poo surrounding Musashi is apocryphal anyway.

You must be popular at samurai film conventions.