Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

It contains all the info people will read before posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Strange announcement from the House Intelligence Committee just came out about 20 minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/HouseIntel/status/1757805804885823775

They've received intel that a Russian asset is attempting to run for President.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Looks like it has something to do with Russia's destabilizing military capability.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/14/politics/house-intel-chairman-serious-national-security-threat/index.html

quote:

Earlier Wednesday, Turner sent his Congressional colleagues a letter saying the urgent matter is “with regard to a destabilizing foreign military capability.”

One of the sources who has seen the intelligence confirmed that “it is, in fact, a highly concerning and destabilizing” Russian capability “that we were recently made aware of.”

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I find it weird, though, that this was made broadly public. I'm not seeing how intel on foreign affairs needs to be broadcast to the general populace.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

BonoMan posted:

Christ but why a nuke to destroy satellites? SURELY there has to be a more efficient way??

A nuke detonated in orbit would create a far-reaching EMP that would knock out a good chunk, if not all, satellites in orbit.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

BonoMan posted:

Seems like a nuke would screw themselves up too potentially.

That's MAD.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

haveblue posted:

I'm just going to reflexively assume that it's not true that Nixon sold $18 million of documents back to the feds, so what's the real story there?

You're instinct looks to be right. They didn't pay $18m to get the documents back. It was a settlement for claims that the Watergate tapes and other materials that were seized without compensation. And even then, 6m of that was for improvements to the Nixon Library.

quote:

WASHINGTON —

The federal government has agreed to pay $18 million to the estate of Richard Nixon to settle claims that the Watergate tapes and other presidential materials were improperly seized by the government in 1974 without compensation.

The out-of-court agreement, climaxing a five-month civil trial that ended last year, would result in $6 million in improvements and expansion for the Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace in Yorba Linda, Calif., and paves the way for copies of his White House tape recordings and papers eventually to be made available at the Orange County facility, officials said.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-jun-13-mn-40455-story.html

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
People who are more knowledgeable than me regarding finance stuff:

I'm pretty sure his judgement can't be discharged in bankruptcy, right? If he is somehow able to get a loan to pay the judgement, can he discharge that in bankruptcy?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

RBA Starblade posted:

What word do you suppose they put into the ai prompt to describe Trump's hands?

"Penguin" apparently.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm not saying it's a nothingburger or the end of the world. I think that bond reduction has been partially done to deprive Trump of the ability to say he didn't get to appeal and lie to people about how he would totally have triumphed on an appellate level.

I agree with your overall idea in that the judge may be trying to remove any ability for Trump to further appeal on the ground that he was treated unfairly, but wanted to call out one point for accuracy.

He doesn't need to post bond to appeal. Posting bond just stops his assets from being seized and sold immediately. If he wins his appeal without posting bond, then he simply gets the money that was gained from selling his assets, as opposed to getting back the bond if he posted one.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

lobster shirt posted:

the key bridge took about five years to build originally so that might be a good figure to ballpark a new one

I believe it. In December, one of RI's most important bridges, the Washington Bridge, was discovered to have structural damage that led to the immediate closure of the westbound lane of traffic. The bridge is 10 lanes and is the main thoroughfare between Providence and East Providence. The damage is bad enough and in a key structural support that the bridge will need to be demolished and rebuilt.

That rebuild is planned to take 2.5 years to complete and is only ~2000 ft across. Compare that to the SFK bridge, which, according to Google, is (was) 57546 feet. 5 years sounds optimistic to me.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Nervous posted:

Maybe erection would happen faster if we showed it some pictures of curvy bridges?

That bridge is fake. You can still see the bandages from the implants on the left.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Elon says they are going to charge to post on Twitter going forward.

This applies to new accounts only. Existing accounts will not be charged to post.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1779930065469383166

Can we pay to prevent Elon from posting?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Morrow posted:

...the people who respond to telephone polling are different from the general population in a way we can't really quantify based on the metrics we try to collect.

Wasn't this what we saw with a lot of polls leading up to the 2020 election?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Not being flippant with this question: how close to the election should polls be to be considered something worth paying attention to?

Or is it more marked by events rather than an explicit time frame? Like, would the polls be considered to be more representative of reality once the initial debates happen?