Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Yes he had his own documents at his home.
Yeah, the difference being - returned them when asked and then cooperated with the investigation about them.

Whereas Trump did the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Assuming Biden wins this year so elections are still a thing, who would the DNC tee up to run in 2028?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Still UFOs.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Whatever it is, it needs to be taken seriously. Turner is the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee; he must be highly intelligent to be chosen for that job.

So it's new pictures of Hunter's dick?
They think it's a photo of a nuclear warhead but it's just another picture of Hunter's junk.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ocadio-Cortez-Omar 2028 just for the exploding heads.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump's policy advisors are releasing plans for "Christian Nationalist" policy to be ready to be implemented on day one of a potential new Trump administration.

Politico has gotten ahold of internal documents from Trump campaign advisors and former Trump admin officials with a list of policy ideas that they have agreed to pursue.

These include:

- A 16-week national ban on abortion (individual states could go farther).

- An end to "no fault" divorce.

- Ending surrogacy.

- Using federal education funding to end sex education in schools.

- Change federal programs that penalize marriage.

- Revoke FDA approval of "chemical abortion drugs" and the ability to receive abortion drugs via mail.

- Protecting “religious and moral” objections for employers who decline contraception coverage for employees.

- Eliminate policies that "subsidize single-motherhood” (no specifics given).

- Increasing surveillance of abortion and maternal mortality reporting in the states.

- Invoking the Insurrection Act on Day One to quash protests.

- Refusing to spend authorized congressional funds on unwanted projects (a practice made illegal under Nixon) and fight the case to the Supreme Court.

- Eliminating the diversity lottery for immigration and reforming immigration criteria away from nation of origin, education, family connections, and employment to instead base immigration quality on their commitment to biblical teachings. Saying a person’s background doesn’t define who can enter the U.S., but rather, citing Biblical teachings, whether that person “accept[ed] Israel’s God, laws and understanding of history.”

- Create a new federal task force on fighting anti-Christian bias to be led by "a fully reformed Department of Justice that’s fair and equitable.”

- Get court rulings recognizing that the separation of church and state is “a commitment to an institutional separation between church and state, but not the separation of Christianity from its influence on government and society. Such a framework can lead to beneficial outcomes for our own communities, as well as individuals of all faiths.”

- Eliminate funding for and penalize state programs that promote transgender acceptance and replace them with programs that attempt to help correct gender confusion in youths.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1759881338272760154
This stuff is terrifying and possible. This list should be made clear far and wide to every possible Democratic voter.

Too bad the Genocide Joe folks don't care about Christofascism here or domestic policy and would rather vote for Trump just because they incorrectly perceive him as less beholden to Israel.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

McCloud posted:

Not voting for Biden is not the same thing as voting for Trump...
If Biden does not win, then Trump will. That is the reality. So yes, not voting for Biden is in practice the same as voting for Trump.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ex post facho posted:

The Democrats had a supermajority and the opportunity to pass federal legislation codifying abortion rights, but chose not to, vis a vis Obama's own words as the leader of the party, in 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeWYQN-Qoy8
A conservative SCOTUS was going to overturn Roe no matter what. It just so happened that it was a state challenge that went to them instead of a federal challenge. Believing the conservatives when they say it was only overturned because it was not federally protected by the Democrats is honestly extremely naive. The entire argument is ignorant considering it was 1) the conservatives fighting Roe for decades, 2) a conservative President who put conservatives on the court, and 3) a conservative SCOTUS who overturned it.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 21, 2024

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

cr0y posted:

Comments are pretty good
Can you paste a couple good ones?

I don't have Twitter/X.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Biden could at least try to ameliorate this issue by not supporting the extremely right wing government of Israel who in the past has openly campaigned on behalf of his 2024 opponent.
Is there evidence that the slight increase in uncommitted is actually due to Biden's support of Israel? It's my understanding that a large majority of both Democrats and Republicans support Israel, or that it is a non-issue when compared to stuff like grocery prices?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We don't have direct evidence, but most counties averaged about 10% non-committed (basically the same as Obama in 2012).

The two that were higher than average were the counties with Ann Arbor (young college students) and Dearborn (large Muslim population), which got 15-17%.

That seems to indicate that those counties had about 5-7% more uncommitted vote share than the baseline for the other counties.
That makes sense actually, thanks.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Fart Amplifier posted:

There are cameras almost literally everywhere that humans are now. We would almost certainly have caught aliens clearly on camera in HD if they had visited Earth. We haven't, and so there is no more reason to believe in alien visitation than angels.
Aliens don't show up on cameras.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Shammypants posted:

To me this data is a clear continuation of the "Uncommitted" efforts of Michigan.
It was only like 2 districts in Michigan that had high "uncommitted," wasn't it?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

small butter posted:

the highest inflation of our lifetime
Evidence for this?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I'm sure I'm reading this wrong, but according to the chart, inflation is higher in the following years than in 2024:
1984, 85, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 96, 2000, 04, 05, 11, 21, 22

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

dadrips posted:

It already has got worse, and will continue to do so barring the democrats being significantly better on a variety of issues instead of aspiring to be slightly less (or equally as) bad than the other guy.
The Biden Administration has been the most progressive administration we've ever had. Are you actually ignoring all of the demostic policy and domestic improvements that would not have happened with Trump in office?

Here's a list:
https://old.reddit.com/r/WhatBidenHasDone/comments/1abyvpa/the_complete_list_what_biden_has_done/

The Democrats and Biden actually support Ukraine against Russia, Trump has said many times he supports Russia instead, he would ensure Russia keeps invading other countries.

Trump's people literally state out-loud they want Christain Fascism for his second term:
https://newrepublic.com/post/179150/christian-nationalist-second-trump-term-plans

Voting against Biden due to Israel will not improve that situation, and make every other situation worse.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah, but Biden hasn't done enough so this is fine.

Edit: All right, I'm done tqlk8ng election here.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Just heard Biden lost American Samoa in the primaries. Grim days for Biden indeed.
Hilarious that Bloomberg won the American Samoa primary in 2020. They're just trolling, I think, which I'll allow.

In other news, Trump wants Israel to wipe Gaza off the planet.
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-israel-finish-problem-gaza-1234981038/

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 6, 2024

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nucleic Acids posted:

Things like will only continue to be a problem for him as the election approaches.
98% of voters have no idea about any of this.

Cimber posted:

I would put myself into the "I don't love Biden, but he's sure as poo poo better than the alternative."

I really hope this is the last gasp of the Boomer Generation of presidents. Its time for someone born in the 60s or 70s to take over.
I'm in my 40s now. I hope the next Presidents are younger than I am.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 6, 2024

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

Much more likely for Biden...
Why is it much more likely for Biden? Have you actually seen Trump try to finish a sentence recently?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

But they FEEL low on money, and isn't that what matters?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

It is the reason why the attempts were revived and democrats got fully onboard this time.
Are any Republicans or Democrats in the House or Senate stating the Israeli-Palestinian issue as the reason for its success this time?

Not disagreeing here exactly, just curious since we really only have hypotheses at this point.

And how would forcing a sale to another company solve that?

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 14, 2024

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A bunch of sore loser swimmers are suing the NCAA because transwomen competing allegedly violates Title IX
I agree that transwomen are women, but don't they still have a clear biological advantage over non-trans women in sports?

Serious question, not trying to rile anybody up or diminish any accomplishments.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Biden is anti-marijuana
Counterpoint: the Biden Administration is not anti-marijuana.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Cimber posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dobbs is the legal version of the dog chasing cars who actually catches one. They don't know what to do with it.

They didn't want to actually BAN abortion, they just wanted to RUN against abortion and use that issue to get people to the polls to keep electing republicans.
If they didn't want to ban abortion, why did red states immediately ban it after the Dobbs decision?

If they don't want to ban abortion, why are they planning to fully ban it federally if Trump wins?

Seems like they want to ban abortion to me.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 9, 2024

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Gatts posted:

This November, Tuesday only, choose your President! The Criminal Fuhrer Wannabe Donald Trump versus Genocidal Joe Biden! A woman’s right to choose and democracy versus the lives of the Palestinian people hangs in the balance and it is up to you to decide where your morality and ethics lie!

Whatta choice.
Not only would Trump support Israel the same or more than Biden, but he'd also try to help Russia against Ukraine.

Also, the rights of gay people, trans people, and other minorities are at stake.. and US involvement in NATO and free trade agreements. And any and all climate action is as good as dead in the next Trump presidency.

But Genocide Joe has such a nice ring to it, who cares about that stuff!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

single-mode fiber posted:

I think the lesson that the Democrats would learn if/when Biden wins (which I think is the most likely outcome) is that they don't need to pay any attention, not even cursory lip service, to anything under the left wing idea umbrella.
I guess that depends on what you consider left wing. They definitely support gay marriage and abortion rights, which the other side wants to get rid of completely, for example.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Majorian posted:

On what grounds would SCOTUS overturn a law legalizing abortion at the federal level?
Why do you think SCOTUS can't overturn federal laws?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Neat Bee posted:

Please explain how Democrats can act as a firewall to fascism if they can't win because they burned their support with gen-z and millennials.
Didn't Senate Democrats stop the previous TikTok bill?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The second Clinton lost to Trump, they should have disappeared from the public eye and politics forever. Delete all social media accounts, never do interviews, all of that. Just retire with their millions, never to be seen again.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Professor Beetus posted:

I guess we'll see if a ban on tiktok that isn't really a ban if they divest and won't happen until after the election either way will depress turnout writ large.
I see no reason for China to play along and wait until the last moment. It's not like China has to wait until after the election.

If I were China, I'd pull the plug on TikTok US maybe a month or a few weeks before the election, where it would damage the Democrats the most in the election. We're only talking a few percentage points here to give the election to Trump and the Republicans.

I know China doesn't prefer Trump or the Republicans or anything, but if they're going to lose the US users regardless, it's just about causing as much chaos as possible at that point.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

It passed both houses of Congress with overwhelming veto-proof supermajorities, so it's not like he can block it.
In that case, it would only help him to not sign it and then send it back to Congress again to override his veto. He can still say he tried to save TikTok to help prevent himself from losing a couple percentage points to Trump in the election, and then still get TikTok banned anyway.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

Do you see any downside to banning media/social media that you may dislike?
Not exactly banning Fox News, but it wouldn't exist as it does today if the Fairness Doctrine was not reversed in the 80s.

Do you consider the Fairness Doctrine to be censorship?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Please pause.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Not sure if you're following the SCOTUS hearing on the Trump immunity case... but Alito has gone off the deep end, and it really seems like the Republicans on SCOTUS are going to say the President has ultimate immunity.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

The conservative wing wants Trump to get away with it but they can't get caught saying such...
Why would they care? There is no recourse.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Fart Amplifier posted:

They clearly won't say that. They'll probably narrowly tailor it to apply to Trump this one time, or do something else that will gently caress the trial
How is that clear? It certainly doesn't seem clear from their arguments today.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SpeakSlow posted:

Through 8k all things are possible.
Let me know when they have 12k.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

PharmerBoy posted:

And a plurality supports banning pro-Israeli protests and a plurality supports banning pro-Palestinian protests. What's it mean? Not sure besides maybe a generally feeling of "Stop making me think about things." Generally feels depressing.
Don't most also agree with the support for Israel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Becoming a Republican delegate is "doing something" and he's officially getting into the family's political business.