Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's pretty hard to publicly come out on the [...] "kill our children" side of a political argument.

My dude please sit down, I have bad news for you about the GOP, gun lobbyists, and the leading cause of death aged 1-17 in this country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Huh. The numbers are still quite low, but looks like you're right, firearms seem to be involved in a plurality of child deaths, taking the lead somewhere in the last decade. I think one of the things that threw my dim recollection is that some of the stats file "accidents" as the leading cause, rather than breaking out "firearm related accidents" and making it a bit easier to sum up with homicides and suicides. just more proof imo that firearms are a public health problem

It has been a big topic of discussion and area of advocacy in my field since these numbers were discussed more than a year ago. The most conveniently put together site from Google is this one which tells you how to use the CDC Wonder tool to recreate the query.

For multiple years firearm deaths have overtaken loving heart disease, all other trauma, and cancer as the leading cause of death for children. It's just super depressing and I know how well received gun control topics are.

Not to derail any further with this tangent discussion from someone's tongue in cheek comment.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Cimber posted:

I wonder if we are going to see this dude again.

Probably not, once you get a promotion or two they put you in an office