Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WebDO posted:

My dude please sit down, I have bad news for you about the GOP, gun lobbyists, and the leading cause of death aged 1-17 in this country

Huh. The numbers are still quite low, but looks like you're right, firearms seem to be involved in a plurality of child deaths, taking the lead somewhere in the last decade. I think one of the things that threw my dim recollection is that some of the stats file "accidents" as the leading cause, rather than breaking out "firearm related accidents" and making it a bit easier to sum up with homicides and suicides. just more proof imo that firearms are a public health problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm going to take any pro-kratom stuff with a huge grain of salt personally, because (as mentioned in the thread) the industry is pretty sleazy and the big guy in the industry group would (and possibly does) make developing world oligarchs go "whoa man, maybe cool your jets a little". It's a legit dangerous opioid, just less so than street versions. I do agree that banning Kratos without taking a look at how to assist the people utilizing it would be a bit silly, but that just means the answer is "staple something about that to the bill / policy and also have relevant agencies and organizations ready".

fake edit: leaving that one in

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If I'm reading this correctly it's only for new licenses and changes to existing licenses. So, you know, still horrific, but the difference is relevant on the off chance any trans Florigoons are reading.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

if they're planning to revisit the schedule again this is probably a really good year to attend your local/state dem conventions, tbh

aside from all the stuff state parties do, that's (generally) how dnc members get elected

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Our society was incapable of forcing employers to give workers time off when the alternative was forcing them to work under the risk of imment choking death. So many workers died it created an employee shortage that is still causing wage increases years later.

Now hold your horses, this isn't even in the top three reasons I've seen for labor force shifts. It seems to be more along the lines of bottom-tier exploited service workers being broadly somewhat more able to job search, develop skills, get remote jobs, that sort of thing. Not a labor shortage caused by mass death.

dumber capital is also desperate to find any explanation that isn't "if people have a bit more time and financial support they can get better, more fulfilling jobs", so while I can't imagine they'd be excited about the mass murder hypothesis, it's at least a side effect of preventing the real threat

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 5, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

like, if the magnitude of worker shortage in lovely industries is because of youngish healthyish people all being mowed down by covid... that's a lot of deaths. A LOT of deaths. A whole lot more than is supported by excess death counts.

especially when other lines of work suddenly found themselves with somewhat more employees, and a large majority of covid deaths were in the elderly

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

oh yeah im not saying the social implications weren't seismic, I'm just saying covid deaths aren't the driving force behind labor shortages and never particularly were

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 5, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

haveblue posted:

As the head of Homeland Security, the immigration/border buck is supposed to stop with him. I don’t remember exactly what he was accused of, but they wanted a scalp and weren’t that picky

You may be shocked to hear this, but it is very stupid.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-resolution/863/text

Insofar as they cite anything about anything, it's that he didn't use his discretion to detain absolutely every unauthorized immigrant until review and instead pursued legally permissible alternatives to detention.

which was admittedly a substantial and public Biden admin reform effort that I've been touting as good-if-insufficient, so of course Republicans are extremely angry

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

https://apnews.com/article/epa-air-pollution-soot-biden-wildfires-d48a02362129ecda5be4d44dbd3442ed

EPA just tightened industrial air pollution regs. Seems... good?

And here's a thing I missed from December on unaccompanied children handling by ORR. The Biden admin is looking to replace the Flores agreements with codified federal rules. The Trump admin tried this in an evil way, naturally. First link is, well, less of an explainer than I hoped, but it's a call to engage with the public comment period and suggests some provisions.

https://immigrantjustice.org/staff/blog/explainer-bidens-proposed-regulations-care-unaccompanied-children-federal-custody

This looks like the proto-rule:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/10/04/2023-21168/unaccompanied-children-program-foundational-rule

Looks like the (first?) round of comment is done, presumably ORR et al are now processing the comments. The rule is long-rear end and I can't find an easy summary. However, this global comment linked in the article is summary-adjacent, describing stuff in the rule and how immigration advocates think it could be improved:

https://immigrantjustice.org/sites/default/files/uploaded-files/no-content-type/2023-12/Comment%2011_%20High-Level.pdf

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Linking the documents investigations to the ballot access question is pretty disingenuous. Stacking nuclear secrets next to the toilet isn't why Colorado is trying to boot Trump for treason. That's more about the part where he rallied a violent mob to try to murder Congresspeople and his Vice President until they were cowed into doing his bidding and abolishing democracy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

if only there was a nationally televised annual speech coming up

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Did you not see the report that just came out that was basically "Biden willfully retained classified docs but we aren't prosecuting because he's a forgetful old man"? And have you not seen Project 2025 and the countless reports about what Trump plans to do in office?

That is not what the report said. It's what a big chunk of the media is reporting, irresponsibly, and it's almost certainly what the report writer wanted to imply, but they mostly aren't prosecuting because the evidence was insufficient. The line going around, usually conveniently cropped, is that a(n alleged) secondary concern is that he would successfully persuade a jury that he was a kindly forgetful old man, and that would impact the chances of conviction, which makes prosecutors sad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

Two weeks ago twitter was sure that a Greg Abbott press release was the harbinger of a shootin war between the Texas National Guard and federal troops. People were saying it was worse than 1/6.

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1755771044705489250

Less than an hour post Biden press conference

the other visual gags are also very good

two ads about the scary irs and a chyron with mtg being a weird conspiracy rear end in a top hat

pretty solid fictional comedy tv show tbh

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s some Congressman named Dean Phillips who decided to run. He has about the same level of support as you or me.

also Marianne Williamson who sadly isn't much outperforming Phillips

in a lot of states it's too late to get on the ballot so unless you want to run an even more doomed write in campaign the best you can do is rally people to go to their local and state conventions in case Biden dies, which in fairness is something I've been telling people to do since 2019 (well okay for a while in the 2020 cycle it was in case of a convention without a majority for a candidate)

show up, try to select delegates who will vote for not Harris / will vote for national delegates who will vote for not Harris

e: also if you're worried about the DNC Putting Its Thumb On The Scale in future elections state conventions select the vast majority of the DNC, anyone who fearmongers about the dnc and doesn't show up for their local convention is unserious (or has a serious schedule conflict)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 11, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I believe both of them have officially withdrawn.

still on the ballot :colbert:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kith posted:

it would be nice if biden did anything to earn my vote outside of "not being trump"

i've got good news

how do you feel about *rolls dice* groundbreaking antitrust action and an absolute shitload of action on student debt

Kith posted:

your "well actually" makes me go zzz snore sleeping etc because i know that:

that's nice, now you're falling back to "well he actually did major things to earn my vote but i'm still mad"

your first post was basically factually wrong and you're trying to sneer about being called out on it

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 11, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

was skimming Biden admin news and well I guess he's reading this thread, phone call with Netanyahu

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...u-of-israel-11/

quote:

President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. spoke this morning with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel. The President reaffirmed our shared goal to see Hamas defeated and to ensure the long-term security of Israel and its people. The President and the Prime Minister discussed ongoing efforts to secure the release of all remaining hostages held by Hamas. The President emphasized the need to capitalize on progress made in the negotiations to secure the release of all hostages as soon as possible. He also called for urgent and specific steps to increase the throughput and consistency of humanitarian assistance to innocent Palestinian civilians. And he reaffirmed his view that a military operation in Rafah should not proceed without a credible and executable plan for ensuring the safety of and support for the more than one million people sheltering there. The two leaders agreed to remain in close contact.

in not entirely other news, meeting with the German chancellor

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...z-of-germany-2/

mostly Ukraine chat and Israel chat

in actual other news

https://www.uscis.gov/EOY2023

"Completing an unprecedented 10 million immigration cases, the agency reduced its immigration backlog for the first time in more than a decade", sad lol

edited to improve blurbs

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 12, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

just dropping some completely unsubstantiated immigration statements on the way out, nbd

Afaict and based on cbp and ice data i posted a couple weeks ago to the resounding chirp of crickets, the "concentration camps on the border" are not still full in either literal terms (numbers, length of stay) or in colloquial terms (Mayorkas has been pushing alternatives to detention which explicitly annoys both the GOP and the worse ICE officers, and while the increased auto-removals in cbp encounters are bad and the pseudo-refugee camps in Mexico are worse they're explicitly to keep from having to blow resources on detaining people).

I'm not going to buy the assertion that all the misplaced / loss-of-communication with sponsor children are still unaccounted for either. Not without proof, and I'm apparently the only goddamn person posting on this topic who actually digs into Office of Refugee Resettlement data and releases. As an aside, this particular thing was a topic of very interesting and infuriating intra-left discourse. One side asserted that sponsors not reporting to ORR was good actually, because what if the Trumo administration deports or reimprisons the children. The other correct side asserted that while the sponsors' reasons were largely understandable, there are very good reasons for ORR to want to keep track of the kids' situations and treatment, and so the loss of contact was at best unfortunate and troubling. At worst, it abets child trafficking.

The claim that ORR was completely unable to establish or reestablish contact with sponsors and with separated children whose paperwork ICE hosed up should require at least a little evidence, I think.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hell, let me google it for monsieurchoc. First result:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/hundreds-of-migrant-children-remain-separated-from-families-despite-push-to-reunite-them

A thousand or so children identified but still unreturned, which is very bad and also considerably improved. Biden admin still trying to fix it. Immigration advocates estimate the number is rather higher (so "thousands" is in fact plausible) in large part because the parents are having difficulty coming forward (often because they're back in Central America). Interview is very interesting and a bummer, and suggests that the Biden admin / bureaucracy is making a credible effort.

as opposed to the Trump administration which separated the families in the first place

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

The last feedback thread it was brought up multiple times that electorialism like this needs its own thread, but as with most feedback that went nowhere.

Koos has been planning to do it Soon and I just brought it back up with him / in the mod forum because today has definitely been a bit of a mess on that count.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

B B posted:

More important than any of this, he has politely asked companies that produce ultra-processed foods to stop skimming our treats:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1756713597864988940

The inflation measurement people have been doing a lot to improve their shrinkflation metrics in the last decade or so. It's not a huge part of grocery inflation according to their current numbers, which afaict are pretty effortful, but it's not trivial. I want to say 5-10% of it? Grocery inflation is also obviously a disproportionate Vibes influencer so it makes sense he'd want to be seen doing something.

e: not gonna dig in during the super bowl but here's the BLS effortpost i was recalling: https://www.bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-12/measuring-shrinkflation-and-its-impact-on-inflation.htm

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 12, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've been staying out of electoralism chat and continue to do so because it is at best pointless and really should have its own thread once Koos figures out how he wants to do it. That said, there's an election related issue that I've banged on about before:

Show up to your goddamn local and, as convenient, state conventions. Make sure the delegates to the next layer up are good, elevate your issues of choice. Ask delegate candidates (especially if you have more candidates than slots, which isn't always the case locally) their thoughts on Gaza and if their opinions are bad and not changeable, pick someone else. Make the Delaware state convention overwhelmingly anti-genocide.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

feeling like the secretary of defense should stop inserting objects into his orifices

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Young Freud posted:

The sole source of her being "transgender" was she used a male alias once, and even that's to be expected being a modern woman looking to avoid harassment.

or one with a history of forgery!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

speaking of vices, if prostitution is ever legalized, I wonder what those ads will look like

surprisingly similar to mobile game ads

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nervous posted:

Fwiw, Mitch McConnell may actually be trying behind the scenes. If he is and succeeds, I would consider it the one of two positive things his existence achieved. The other would be leaving us a grave to dance on.

and the 2018 farm bill! sure, it was because the hemp industry backed up a dump truck full of money into his driveway, but

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

he also backed down from torpedoing the first covid relief bill but I'm not sure that entirely counts

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

NYT is reporting that the intelligence has something to do with Russian nuclear capabilities in development. WH is pissed and is not going to declassify it for fear of burning the source.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/14/us/politics/intelligence-russia-nuclear.html

quote:

Daisy Ridley Loves Every Single Track of This Stormzy Album

Fragments of Asteroid With Mystery Origin Are Found Outside Berlin

i think we found the concerns

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

setting aside whether homeless people count as a genocidable demographic, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about (at least if we don't count everything about the handling of the homeless since the Roanoake Colony)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bel Shazar posted:

I can't speak for what the OP meant, but the war in Gaza is an ongoing genocide that has caused nearly the entire population of the territory to be homeless.

CNBC calls it 85%
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/11/desperate-palestinians-in-gazas-rafah-fear-coming-israeli-assault.html

Oh, I parsed that totally the other way. Okay that makes an adequate amount of sense.

Us news: well uh hm. Remember the whole thing about documentation of migrant kids, good or bad / ORR shelters / unwinding the Trump admin's border shittery? Looks like the paperwork on releasing unaccompanied kids to sponsors (thus getting them out of The Cages ORR shelters and overflow housing in general) may have been a bit sloppy in 2021:

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...l-watchdog-says

ORR rebuttal in the article is basically "yeah we know, we already revamped our procedures for the next time there's a surge or a backlog".

guess there's a good reason to do the paperwork right and keep following up

not so great for some of the kids that got scooped up as farm labor and so on

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 16, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Civilized Fishbot posted:

You think she just fell out of s coconut tree? She exists in the context of all in which she lives and what came before her.

I know this has been going around as a funny meme but I'm almost certain she actually got it from her ma as a South Asian / Tamil saying. You know, where Mrs Harris the Elder was born.

Yiggy posted:

It was pre South Carolina and Biden was dying on the vine. Clyburn demanded it and Biden needed Clyburn’s network to survive SC. That’s it. Classic democratic horse trading.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/07/politics/clyburn-biden-black-woman-running-mate-cnntv/index.html

and then Harris immediately shivved my girl Karen Bass, still mad about that

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Very popular in Illinois, pretty good positions for a non-socialist, hasn't succumbed to the Illinois Governor Curse, can eat the opposing nominee.

If we must be ruled by a billionaire, may as well be Pritzker.

still rooting for a labor leader tho, Shawn Fain is the darling of the moment and had the political acumen to overthrow frigging Jimmy Hoffa Jr

e: Ilhan Omar is foreign born sadly but that's okay

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

in the hard hitting journalism we need more of, Elizabeth Warren would really like to get stoned with The Rock

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/eli...na-discussions/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...n-america-tour/

Biden admin putting a bunch of / bunch more money into clean water investment, including but not limited to the total replacement of remaining lead pipes in the US over the next ten years.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It would be a good idea to move Israelchat to the relevant thread.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Orthanc6 posted:

Guess this is why Doc Brown ended up getting his plutonium from the Libyans. Not sure what Emmett was planning to do with the SAM though.

More seriously, they did actually have weapons-grade plutonium, which means they either found a source to steal it, or have a source to make it. Both are extremely bad for non-state actors to have access to.

Article says it was from the Burmese junta. although now that I think of it I'm not sure how they'd have plutonium, just uranium

e: they're working towards nuclear power generation with Russian assistance but there's no public ability to enrich uranium or make plutonium

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 22, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The shelter I volunteer with (assisting God's one true animal, cats, but I appreciate the dog volunteers too) doesn't euthanize for health reasons unless the animal's quality of life is horrific and unfixable... but every doggo that gets adopted or fostered is another space for another dog.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

koolkal posted:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/29/biden-walks-back-gaza-truce-00144168

Lmao that even Biden is now joining Israel and Hamas in shaking his head at Genocide Joe's claims about a ceasefire coming soon

In addition to what pharmer said, some of this is in light of the massacre of 140ish people at an aid distribution site.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Hold on, I'm being told this isn't an option anymore. I guess he's just in debt for the rest of his life? How does US inheritance work, do his kids inherit his billions of dollars in debt or does it go poof when he dies?

it'll eat everything in his estate (and any attempts to evade same) until his creditors are made whole. a regular person with 400k in debt doesn't drive their kids into penury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mia Wasikowska posted:

Trump can now correctly and honestly say that Biden and the Democrats are where he was on Immigration in 2016, so he really has nothing to lose so long as the conversation is about immigration. That's what he wants. Tbf that's also what a lot of the American people want! It's hosed up.

guess you haven't read a single word I've posted about Biden admin immigration policy in the last three years. The alternatives to detention push alone is pretty huge and really very much the opposite of anything Trump ever instituted.