Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I guess it’s somewhat semantic, but the report cites airtight evidence that he did the crime. The decision not to prosecute was based on “aggravating and mitigating factors” - basically, he was transparent about it, returned what he took, and didn’t hinder the investigation.

That's overstating it. Page 1 of the report notes that there was evidence of willful retention, but "we conclude that the evidence does not establish Mr. Biden's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt." That's not "airtight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Killer robot posted:

Not that long ago Trump said he liked Viktor Orban, the leader of Turkey, and that Kim Jong Il, Chinese dictator, ruled over 1.4 billion people. Those were hardly the only times. It never stuck. The closest one was "Tim Apple" and that gets referenced more often in Apple discussion than Trump discussion. People who don't like Trump will joke about when it happens but are more worried about the crimes and deeper incompetency than his verbal slipups, and it would be true even if the ideal 40 year old smart charming progressive came down from the mountain tomorrow to replace Biden.

Plus Tuck-tuck polishing Putin's balls for the next few days should knock it down the feed a bit.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

This is just ~*vibes*~ but it seems like Trump being on the ballot turns out more infrequent voters who love him than infrequent voters who hate him. I have no evidence for this either way.

I can't imagine that's true when he lost the popular count by 3 million in 2016 and then by 7 million in 2020.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

More people voted for Trump in 2020 than in 2016, i believe. Just even more people voted Democratic.

Right, which would seem to go against the thing I was responding to:

quote:

it seems like Trump being on the ballot turns out more infrequent voters who love him than infrequent voters who hate him

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Right, I think increased partisanship is probably the answer.

But, it is strange that 1992 was the trigger year and not Richard Nixon, LBJ, Vietnam, Ronald Reagan, etc. Somehow, none of those things jacked up the partisanship and/or reluctance to approve of someone from the other party.

It was losing the White House after holding it for 12 years and developing a sense that it was theirs by divine right.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah,. would they have to be moved.out of state for further storage or destruction? It's not as simple as IVF treatment shutting down, but now every single embryo they have is a future murder or manslaughter charge

I have a simpler question that I have yet to see posed to any Alabama SC members or Republicans: why are you allowing thousands of children to remain frozen solid? I am certain that in Alabama it was already illegal to take children and freeze them solid.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Discendo Vox posted:

There was a report a number of years back (I can't find it atm) alleging the junta was working on its own weapons program; I'd not seen later substantiation, but maybe it was real.

One of my favorite conspiracy theories I've ever heard about is the question of whether an unexplained seismic event deep in the Australian outback in 1993 was actually a nuclear test conducted by Aum Shinrikyo. The hell of it is that there was actually some reasonable evidence to support the idea!

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/21/science/seismic-mystery-in-australia-quake-meteor-or-nuclear-blast.html

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

zoux posted:

Similarly, the Vela incident in 1979, where a double-flash was observed in one of the remotest parts of the ocean, is thought to be a joint test between South Africa and Israel. The Apartheid A-Bomb

Yeah, although that one I fully believe.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

depends. the GOP ghouls like haley/romney/cheney? probably not because they want power still and think if they hold out they might get rewarded after trump dies. the regular voters. yeah alot of them have flipped to blue. I know a bunch. they dont like the dems but they hate the chuds and are scared of trump.

Remember to tell anyone who tries to claim they're "a fiscal conservative but a social liberal" that they're a Democrat now.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

I feel like the cnn international edition homepage used to be markedly better and less tabloid-y than the US one, but it seems about the same now in that regard :rip:

On a side note, the other day, for about an hour, I was getting a popup when I clicked on articles on CNN.com that said I had reached my article limit for the day and would need to sign up for a free account. Clicking on the little (i) link in that message brought up another one that said they were testing the system out only for some users. CNN paywall is coming.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Grown men wearing cowboy hats indoors.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Mooseontheloose posted:

This also reminds me that in 2016 we were all told we were living in a bubble and they we don't understand these people, we have to make the attempt. Never the other way around mind you, that's not how this works.

I've enjoyed, from time to time, looking up the "lives in" location of someone on FB who tells me or someone similarly situated that we "live in a bubble." Invariably it's someone living in a town of 2,000 in a county of 20,000 (98% white, obviously), speaking to those of us who live in a metro area with eight million.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

dpkg chopra posted:

I do kind of hope Trump tries get the board to waive the lockup period, it would be just wild to watch how that plays out.

It really will be fascinating to see how the two halves of their psyches go to war: "ONLY DUTY IS TO PROFIT" vs. "MUST SERVE MASTER TRUMP" will be a hell of a cognitive split.

But, like so many before them who have willingly sacrificed their own careers and fortunes if it meant just one fleeting taste of Trump's foot, I'd put my money on the second one.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

haveblue posted:

It only takes one shareholder to tie it up in court because it's so obviously not in the best interest of the company, so we may not get to this point for months

I guess I meant even before that part, though, just when Trump makes the request to kick off the struggle.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Byzantine posted:

The filibuster that the Dems refused to remove?

Right, that's the next line in that conversation, which is followed by "Is 48 a larger number than 52?"

edit for substance: Man, there's a hilarious amount of coping apparent in this article by "W. James Antle III is executive editor of the Washington Examiner magazine and author of “Devouring Freedom: Can Government Ever Be Stopped?”"

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/09/opinions/trumps-abortion-compromise-after-roe-has-merit-antle/index.html

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 10, 2024

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Byzantine posted:

drat, there's 52 Republicans in the Senate and the GOP controls both house of Congress?

Of course there are not 52 Republicans in the Senate! But there are/were 52 votes against nuking the filibuster, which was obviously the point!

Whatever. It's as reductive to say "the Democrats refused to nuke the filibuster" as it is to say "I voted for Biden who promised me all this stuff and nothing happened and he isn't keeping his promises!", which was what started that tangent.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
It's pretty much what Iran did after Trump had Solemani killed, right? Launch a few things that don't do all that much harm, and didn't escalate further.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
The article linked earlier didn't say this, but the CNN article on Thomas taking a mental health day today contains a little nugget of info that I think explains it:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/15/politics/clarence-thomas-supreme-court/index.html

quote:

The first centered on a payment the former mayor of Portage, Indiana, received from a city contractor and whether that payment violated a federal anti-corruption statute.

Would have been absolutely awkward/hilarious as gently caress if he'd been sitting there while the Court heard arguments on whether an official accepting favors was a federal crime.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Foxfire_ posted:

That would require him to be capable of feeling shame though

I meant for everyone else.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Riptor posted:

tell me what the last presidential election was that wasn't based off predicting what will happen in the future

While it's somewhat tangential to the question, this is the first election since 1892 where we can definitely know what both leading candidates have done as Presidents, and therefore what they are reasonably likely to continue to do if elected again. (And in 1912 that was true for 2 of the 3 leading candidates.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Following the Senate today - dismissing both articles of impeachment against Mayorkas - was not only fun, but provided some wonderful new examples of GOP dipshittery. My favorite has to be:

quote:

The Senate also voted against another motion to adjourn until November 6. GOP Sen. Roger Marshall argued it would have allowed the American people can have a vote on this issue.

But McConnell's burble from this morning was also great:

quote:

As befits such a solemn and rare responsibility as convening a court of impeachment, I intend to give these charges my full and undivided attention.

(from the CNN ongoing updates)