Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
If her whole strategy with being in the House was to parlay that into a job as a consultant or lobbyist, wouldn't breaking with your party and running as an independent kinda fly in the face of that strategy? Those kinds of jobs typically are paying you for your insider knowledge or connections which breaking with your party kinda hinders. Like, McCain's whole maverick thing wouldn't have worked or been notable if he switched to an Independent and then bombed out after 1 term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

The only things Trump has said concretely about how he'd handle the Israel/Gaza war differently was to ban refugees from Gaza and screen immigrants for anyone sympathizing with Hamas (or other "Muslim extremists"). This was from back in October so he might have had a change of heart since then but I haven't found anything so far

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-iowa-caucus-2024-election-c8f0ff23b1a39fb4e2b7aee9da15f0ed

quote:

CLIVE, Iowa (AP) — Doubling down on the hard-line immigration policies that have long animated his base, former President Donald Trump on Monday vowed to bar refugees from Gaza and immediately expand his first-term Muslim travel ban if he wins a second term following the deadly attack on Israel last week.

Speaking to supporters in Iowa, Trump said that if he returns to the Oval Office, he will immediately begin “ideological screening” for all immigrants and bar those who sympathize with Hamas and Muslim extremists. The war between Israel and Hamas has sparked what is now the deadliest of five Gaza wars for both sides, with more than 4,000 dead.

His proposals would mark a dramatic expansion of the controversial — and legally dubious — policies that drew alarm from immigrant rights and civil liberties activists, but helped him win the GOP primary in 2016. Trump has long railed against the U.S. taking immigrants from countries he has dubbed inferior, particularly in Africa and the Middle East, and told the crowd Monday that while he was president the U.S. stood up for Israel and “Judeo-Christian civilization and values.”

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I hope not because someone would seize on this and say "see, we don't need to send Ukraine any foreign aid, since Russia will just collapse anyway" And then you have to deal with who takes control of the bombs.

I may be the one misreading here, but I read "destabilizing military capabilities" as "military capabilities that cause destabilization", not that Russia is about to get super destabilized. Though it's hard to say for sure until they say something concrete about it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

It's all completely ridiculous but I feel like the practical effect is not as bad as Dobbs because presumably people who have the money for IVF can afford to travel to a less insane state to do it, or am I missing something?

A medical procedure being expensive doesn't mean only rich people do it, it just means people who don't have a ton of money have an even harder time getting the money together to do it. People without boatloads of money still want kids too, and it's way cheaper and easier to get the time and money together to do IVF in state rather than adding travel, lodging, and time off work for each appointment to the equation.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Alabama is solving their IVF issue, but in a way that might cause more legal problems in the future.

Their solution is not to repeal the original laws that effectively banned IVF, but to pass a bill giving doctors criminal and civil immunity for destroying embryos during IVF.

That is going to solve the immediate problem of IVF clinics shutting down and allow them to open back up, but could still cause a lot of weird legal issues in the future as embryos are legally considered children under most law in Alabama.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1763263844531507412

Wouldn't the doctors having immunity not matter if the operators or administrators of the IVF clinic or hospital don't? Like if someone left the embryo fridge open at a clinic, wouldn't the clinic operators still be in danger of being charged with negligent manslaughter?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

koolkal posted:

No, just seeding future jokes.

To your other point, isn't that why people fear Trump so much? Project 2025 is a list of things that aren't happening yet.

Politics for voters is largely about predicting what politicians will do.

But Project 2025 is a thing that a group actually wrote with the intention of promoting it as a future policy platform. I don't think that's really the same as making up a type of guy that might exist in the future to be mad about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Making this post so I can quote it in a few years when Democrats start requiring anyone seeking an abortion bring the freshly severed heads of at least 2 social security recipients. It's honestly incredibly hosed up that I could just invent a policy for Dems to pass in the future like that