Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/FFRF/status/1752719948139442193

Who had "Someone is actually held accountable for hate crimes against Satan" on their bingo card for 2024?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Google Jeb Bush posted:

If I'm reading this correctly it's only for new licenses and changes to existing licenses. So, you know, still horrific, but the difference is relevant on the off chance any trans Florigoons are reading.

The last part sounds like it's saying that having the "wrong" gender on your license at any point means they can go after you for fraud, not just when you apply for a new license.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Every moment Bruce spent playing around in costume instead of funding social programs with his wealth is indulgent and wasted, and even "good" versions of batman beat up criminals and henchmen who are much more likely to be minorities and in poverty, just so he could get a hardon or whatever.

ACAB includes Batman.

Also he was still a multibillionaire, so he wasn't doing enough good.

... isn't this literally the basis of Jack Naper's argument in White Knight?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gyges posted:

Besides in a world with Superman, Firestorm, sundry other super powers, magic, and super tech, Bruce Wayne is way down on the list of guys not fully utilizing their assets to fix the world. Batman is poo poo in full isolation, but within the larger universe he's kind of not bad.

"Ahem, and what do you expect Superman to do on a JOURNALISTS salary? Especially for a dying newspaper?"
:goonsay:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

glitchwraith posted:

Ok, I'll bite. Gotham's corruption has been rooted out. Effective social programs have made poverty and major crimes rare to non-existent, and all super villains have been cured, reformed, or at least humanely separated from society. Gotham is in all senses of the word "fixed". What story do you tell now?

Natural disaster strikes, shattering the stability of the city
Evil Alternate reality versions of Batman show up
Emperor Joker (yes I know that was technically a Superman story shush)

Not to mention that I don't think you can fully get rid of things like smuggling, so if you sweep out the supervillains that just means the mafias start to move in (again).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

glitchwraith posted:

So, Gotham get's broken again. That kind of goes against the premise I set out. Alt. reality threats kind of goes alongside alien invasions in that, yeah, Batman tackles that from time to time, but usually in a Justice League book. Because once the threat is cosmic instead of street level, you've taken Batman out of the genre he's most popular in.

You asked what stories you tell with a "fixed" Gotham, I listed off 3 that DC had done in the past (well, okay, I can think of a couple of times they did the Natural Disaster stories) and pointed out that there's nothing stopping the crime families moving back in. Honestly, something like Zero Year would still work when you focus on the disaster and people being people over the actual Red Hood Gang stuff.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Or Elon's blitzed to his tits on special-K again and just wanted to comment on something that everyone else was commenting on so he could get attention.

While that's true, it's far funnier to imagine Elmo accidentally blowing the lid on any secret inquiries into Starlink's relation to Russia.

Say, what IS the current actual stance the US has with Russia right now? Any embargoes that could get Elmo locked away for a hilariously long time?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BonoMan posted:

My sister died in just 2019 and I have to stop and remember the year each time. Memory and duress do not go well together.

My mom passed away in 2018 and my dad passed away in 2019, and I always have to pause for a second to remember which years they passed away and use the start of Covid as my reference point. I'm not blaming Joe in the slightest for having to take a few seconds to make sure he has the right year and gently caress that leech for playing political games with Beau's death.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"Who is the current President?"

Oh god, I can see them asking that, Biden making an obvious joke along the lines of "Huh, let me think about that. Say, who's that handsome guy in the mirror, he looks pretty presidential" and the media running it as "Biden so far gone he doesn't even recognize himself in the mirror, doesn't remember that he is the president".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Alex_Panetta/status/1763226382342000985

I see the speaker is also an adherent to the Green Lantern theory of international relations.

Cool, just... what, casually threatening to go to war? Because I can't see any reason why Mexico would do what the US wants just because "We said so".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mdemone posted:

Tanks opened fire and then ran over the bodies.

Who was in danger? Who is being endangered?

"Oh those poor, innocent tanks! Those vicious bodies could jam up their treads!" - a disturbing number of people online, if reactions to most of the other IDF attacks have been any indication.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Exactly, biblically accurate angels rule and I'd enjoy seeing them floating around on earth because they have a rad as Hell aesthetic, but my first impulse would also be "I should leave that thing alone".

I guess in my mind Angels and Demons are different from regular monsters? Like, I can understand wanting to capture Bigfoot or Nessie for science, but the Bible makes it very clear that messing around with Angels is a bad idea.

Has anyone ever made a horror movie where the monster is a biblically accurate angel, and the twist is that the main character is the unknowing second coming of Christ, and the people the monster killed were people that wronged the main character (knowingly or unknowingly)?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yes. It was called Legion and Dennis Quaid was in it.

Huh, neat! Not quite what I was picturing for a horror film, but close enough on intent. Was it any good? I might check it out if it's not horrible.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

A Rick has hit the three Johns, I repeat, a Rick has hit the three Johns.

A little weird that members of Florida's congressional delegation are joining him for this announcement, but I can't think of anything it could be other than Rick Scott running for Senate Leadership.

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1763587119044309441

So we're going from a turtle to a soul-eating lich. Great.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How long until he starts suggesting Israel just nukes Gaza off the map and doesn't know (well, okay, doesn't care is more accurate) how terrible a suggestion that is for Israel.

"Israel needs to use a final solution, people, we love our final solutions. They have bombs, nuclear bombs, some of the best nuclear bombs in the world. They come to me with tears in their eyes about how much they want to use the bombs, but they can't because Biden says no. When I'm in charge, they'll have all the nuclear bombs they want. We'll just bomb Hamas back to the stone age, even further than that. Gaza will be so smooth you could use it as a parking lot when we're done with it."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Id be curious to know what the full context is, honestly reading them, it sounds like more then anything he has ADHD and he just kinda spews out everything he knows on the topic and then goes into journeys down memory lane.

So... he's every old man ever?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1767700960468488211

gently caress me. I know we’re all wringing our hands about Bidens polls but this cycle also has the potential to wipe out the House GOP. If only the Senate map weren’t so loving bad

So this means that Buck knows at least 3 other members are planning on bowing out soon/not running for reelection and just haven't announced it yet, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BonoMan posted:

I mean potentially, but I guess I read it as more of a comment about losing majority in the House.

Yeah, possibly. With this many Republicans jumping ship though, I interpreted it as he knew others were on the fence for leaving as well.