Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

This is America. We need to elect an Idiot President.

In America, wouldn't the idiot president be chosen in smoky back rooms, not actually elected? Check mate, liberals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

When they're literally doing the dystopia tech from SMAC, it seems like the answer is... Not a whole lot?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's not like human heads are in short supply

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah it’s a huge truly insane mistake for the right to go nuts on Swift and the NFL.

It might end up being their “Have you no sense decency, Sir?” moment. GOP politics is now incels tweeting about a pop stars mons pubis being gay.

The "have you no decency" moment hinged on other people having said quality. The conventional wisdom around the MAGA crowd seems to be that they do not, and the polarization of the US voting populace seems to revolve around this. You can pick your favourite three Trump quotes that'd fit the decency bill just as well, and the answer was a resounding "gently caress you, got mine" already.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

It's great that we've got two modern Presidents who forced the military into creating ways to ignore orders if the C.I.C is drunk or tweeted them from the toilet.

Richard Nixon did nothing wr wait, you're talking about someone else, never mind

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do y’all seriously think that “left economically and racist” is some unicorn position? Need I remind you who FDR compromised with to pass the New Deal?

Why not? It's not as if it costs you money to spell it out

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

They've used the "generic New York citizens throw cans and rocks at a super-villian to distract him from killing Spider-Man three times so far in the movies"

"You mess wid one of us, youz messin' wid all of us!"

It sort of makes sense. If you saw Doctor Doom walking down the street, you know he's probably up to no good. Now, throwing a can at him might back-fire as he has those blasters in his hands, and he knows magic, too, but still.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wouldn't the tentacles protect him?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

So should those of us who don't want to live under a fascist dictatorship commit suicide now or after the inevitable election of Trump?

Please don't commit self-harm. You have alternatives.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It was, funnily enough (your mileage on funny varies) Tricky Dick Nixon who had to act presidential as the vice president when Ike was laying in a hospital. And that sort of made the office of vice president more important, because they can act as the president, but it is rare.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

As a european I sure would prefer if you guys voted in Biden over Trump though.

That's the hosed up thing, the POTUS is still the most powerful individual human being in the world. Even if we grant the cartoon about what people think Obama does in office, and what he actually does, and so on, it really freaking matters to other countries who the POTUS is and what their priorities are. Trump is a nightmare.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I know Russia isn't exactly interested in international law and treaties right now, but wouldn't space nukes directly violate the agreement from the 60's about not arming space? I guess Russia's all sanctioned off anyway, but still.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Staluigi posted:

so if he doesn't have the money, and all the properties are leveraged to the tits ... what is exactly happening, like what can he do, what goes down

Hold on, I'm being told this isn't an option anymore. I guess he's just in debt for the rest of his life? How does US inheritance work, do his kids inherit his billions of dollars in debt or does it go poof when he dies?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This "trump: actually fine?" bullshit is just insulting to everyone with enough object permanence to remember back four whole years.

Agreed, but on the other hand, that's a tall ask after all the time dilation due to The Escalator Ride and covid!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

USCE 2024: Legality is just a question of will

Not even Alabama can stop the truly willing from jerking it?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Scags McDouglas posted:

I might rent a high speed camera to record the microseconds before she gets over it and starts kissing his rear end.

:getin:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But, the stuttering and fake tears when she went, "And what [sniff] does... he do? H-h--he... [sniff] opened a TikTok [sniff] account for his campaign. You [sniff] r-r-really can't make [wipes away tear] this stuff up." was genuinely strange.

Clearly it's some kind of malevolent water spirits or entities that the Dems keep conjuring to assault honest, God-fearing Republicans. First it was Rubio's weird gulp, and now inexplicable tears out of nowhere :iit:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

None of y'all remember the cat dance? Badger badger badger? Salad fingers? These were things that entertained most of us when we were grown rear end adults or at least close

The dancing baby made it on to Ally McBeal

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

There are very good reasons to differentiate and have competitions targeting certain groups of people. An example brought up often is chess. People often ask why there are women's only competitions when there appears to be no advantage gained by being a man? In this case being a man is the advantage. For a whole lot of reasons, societal, cultural, norms, etc, being a man is an advantage in and of itself. Men don't systemically get told to stay in the kitchen, and men in general don't have to face the sexism and vitriol that women do when they participate in a male dominated things.

Clearly the solution is wholly anonymized sports. Blur the competitors for any potential teevee viewers, identify them by their numbers only, and let the chips fall where they may.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Tie it into superhero aesthetics and give 'em costumes and masks.

I was thinking of the 'lube man' from Watchmen, but prominent boobs or external genitalia would still be a slight problem.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Serial killer chit-chat, the Dahmer Netflix miniseries was good, it portrayed him as the weird goober that he was, and the cops as mostly awful morons.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It was very well made but man by the end I was questioning if we really needed a well made Dahmer show, or if I needed to watch it. It was extremely disturbing.

Well yeah, it's a well-made adaptation of real world events. If someone's going in expecting a whimsical take on the material, I'm not sure what the response to that should be

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I mean I knew what to expect, I just question if we needed this story made into a TV series. Near the end when people were making sensational comics or whatever and the show seemed to be criticizing people making a cash grab when it comes to what Dahmer did it seemed incoherent. Unless that was supposed to read as self aware, which to me it didn’t.

To pick a random example, I know there's people who genuinely think Homelander is the hero of his story, and I'm still not sure if the goon whose shtick was insisting Stormfront wasn't a nazi until the girls beat her was doing a funny or not, but I don't really see the moral hazard here. Dahmer the netflix show wasn't glorifying him, or trying to "understand" him in any sympathetic way IMO. He was shown doing awful poo poo, repeatedly, and the systems that purport to exist to stop folks like him failing miserably and also repeatedly. Are we really afraid this would have a perceptibly larger risk of making susceptible people "snap" than any "true crime" docudrama? Finagle knows there's dozens of those.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah this is something different from a problematic character like Homelander. And I’m not saying it’s going to make anybody snap.

I’m not even really sure I think Dahmer shouldn’t have been made. It’s just one of the first shows I’ve watched where by the end I’m like “this was well made, I don’t think there are any choices made that should’ve been changed, and I’m just really disturbed and wonder why this is considered entertainment.”

But, like, I sat there and watched the whole thing. So I was entertained on some level, because it’s not like I had to. Maybe it’s just self reflection and not wanting to be entertained by something like Dahmer.

I think we're on the same page, mostly. It is a differently disturbing experience than gruesome fiction, and I'm not sure I'd want to re-visit the show again.

Maybe entertainment is the wrong word for something like this. Is a devout Christian entertained by the Passion of the Christ? But anyway, this tangent started (sort of) by the conversation about how serial killers are portrayed in fiction like Dexter vs. how the real murderers actually are.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That is just awful, gently caress. Mass casualty incident :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The poops? I'm sure Bar Ran Dun has better reasons

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Relax, gonna do it

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I can picture the SVU episode about this and Ice-T explaining in frustrated tones what a dumb-rear end, unworkable idea this is. Well done, lawmakers!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It feels deeply perverse to read this and experience a wave of nostalgia for the summer of 2016, of all years, but here we are, eight years later… :yayclod:

It's going to be the summer of 2016 until Trump dies. Maybe it'll end if he goes to prison, too, but that's uncharted waters.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

volts5000 posted:

What is the outline that will get us to this glorious genocide-free outcome?

Please, mods, anyone, this is the perfect thread title for this weekend's slap fight, let's do it

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zoux posted:

Also challenge mode:

Don't you have a bad history with these?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Psawhn posted:

Here's a fun piece that I think the regulars here would like.

I think there is a deep sense of irony in Biden being seen as press-hostile. He arguably made one of the most sympathetic public appearances with Stephen Colber', a comedian. That was some time ago, though. But Nixon had the freaking FBI hounding press people he didn't like! What's the standard here, NYT?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's not press hostile in a way that Trump is, but he is very averse to one-on-one interviews and access. He gives very few sit-down interviews, doesn't have a reporter embedded in the White House/campaign, strongly opposes leaking things to the press for stories because he wants staff to hash it out in private, and generally only addresses the press once a day at the morning gaggle + whenever they have a big press conference.

Compare that to McCain, who was beloved by the press, because he had a team of reporters allowed to just hang out on The Straight Talk Express, did tons of TV shows, leaked tons of things to favorite reporters who got scoops and access, and was available all the time on the bus.

Even Trump had Maggie Habberman basically live at the WH and be the administration's personal leak source.

I understand it's bad for NYT's business that Biden doesn't chat them up, but if we go with the old canard that POTUS is the most challenging, at least the most time-consuming, job there is, should he really be? Biden still being veep doing tours on the funny talk shows, fine, it's not like the veep does anything of note. I think that's a mis-quote from mister Biden himself.

The office of the president gives him ample opportunity to voice out his views and policies, you (the US, not you personally Leon!) have all sorts of more or less legally mandated speaking events for this express purpose. And there is the uglier side that Biden being an old might be leery about having a one-on-one interview as he might have an oopsy daisy. As cynical as it is, people in his orbit must be aware of these risks. If the NYT feels bad about it, that's too bad.

Actually come to think of it, the age thing is a sad situation, Nixon did his best press long after he left the office. And Bill Clinton played the sax on a popular teevee show, too.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

My advice as an attorney is to avoid situations that could result in arrest. Ideally avoid all cops entirely. If they want a reason to charge you they will find one. There is no course of action that will avoid a "resisting arrest" charge if the cop wants to charge you.

It's great that American media regularly portrays cops as awful people trying to make arrests, looking at you Law and Order franchise, and we're kind of made to think of them as the good guys.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I mean, not to be a cop apologist, but there's a reason they do lots of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit and not so many episodes of Law and Order: Non-Violent Protestors

That's true! But the Special Victims unit has a specific story where Chris Meloni points out he messed up, and someone is in prison for life for that mistake. And Chris Meloni regularly assaulted people, too. Looked at it from a distance, that show did not paint a good picture of law enforcement in America.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Madkal posted:

I've known people who don't like dogs/are scared of dogs but none of those people have ever had a violent reaction to dogs and wished to see them dead. The only time I have ever heard someone being glad about a dog being put down is usually after a story about some dog attacking a child and the dog being put down afterwards.
By all accounts Noem's dog never attacked a child and needed to be put down.
Also security needs to make sure Noem gets nowhere near Biden's pooches (though hearing the story about how the dogs like to bite the Secret Service maybe they will let Noem in)

Yeah, people with genuine phobias of dogs generally react in a different way, just don't want to be around the animal or something. It makes them very anxious. This person took a gun, slowly and methodically, to a dog and blasted away.

I'm not saying you specifically are doing this, but this conversation will get incredibly stupid once Wolf Blitzer or some other big media dude tries to equivocate between "shooting a puppy like you're Hannibal Lecter" and "dogs that have to be put down due to uncontrollable violence towards small children".

I have a genuine difficulty understanding people who view pets as property, not buddies. It's hypocritical since I eat meat, but I'd make buddies with a chicken too I guess, it'd just be awful to imagine eating them later on. But pets in my life have always been members of the family, you care about their stupid antics and want them to be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

I love the effects of weed but absolutely detest the smell and taste. I would love tasteless/odorless weed that got me just as hosed up

Clearly you need to butt-chug your weed. Surely we have the technology!