Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
zuck with a mediocre apology followed by a statement undermining it and a commitment to do nothing to improve things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
So what's the end game here making this bipartisan....have the public polling turned against social media or are they playing for "censorship that helps my party"?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look, everyone calling Elon Musk a moron just doesn't understand his genius

Also the same is true of Sinema except also calling her stupid is sexist for some reason

There was sexism around the criticisms of Sinema. Both things can be true.

You can be fatphobic criticizing trump. While trump is certainly a piece of poo poo.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Selec's specific accusation of misogyny quoted my post regarding her intelligence specifically, not generalized misogyny out in the ether.

People have been saying she's stupid just like people say black politicians/court justices are.

There can be bigotry in both those criticisms, even if you have "good" opinions on things.

Edit: You edited a lot more in

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 31, 2024

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Thank you for sharing your personal experience.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think its because the culture war is the only war now. yeah some would like to cut taxes but either making minorities die Or shutting down everything so they can hunt witches is a bigger priority.

yeah the GOP is in some genuin disarray. the carcinogen that was Newt that grew into the cancer of the tea party and accelerated by maga bs has fully matastized.

Yeah they should have passed more poo poo when they were in the "rabid base but still under control of the of soulless money men" era but nope.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Speaking of the FDA, letting Elon but torment nexuses into the heads of human beings is a horrible look.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Rappaport posted:

When they're literally doing the dystopia tech from SMAC, it seems like the answer is... Not a whole lot?

Yeah given how many animals Musk's company killed and the COI concerns around the committee that approved him to go forward, that's a dim view of the FDA.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

This would be true if Neuralink weren't actually under investigation for those IACUC/OLAW issues, but they are. There is no actual justification for grifters like ALF; they aren't "necessary" in any way and provide no actual benefit. You might as well say January 6th was necessary.

Why are we letting them jam poo poo into human heads if they are under investigation?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Speaking of statues of rapists....

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Angry_Ed posted:

And directly assassinated a Major General of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard.

That was an obvious invitation to a war. Everyone's very lucky that Iran didn't take that bait.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Looks like Desantis isn't off his fascism horse yet, and rescinded the drivers licenses of any trans person in FL who isn't listed as their birth gender

https://twitter.com/CarlosGSmith/status/1752410932255298000

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
edit: ^^^^ I think you mean 13th

Currently reading Michael Harriot's "Black AF History" and it's absolutely ridiculous how racist and evil the US is, and how it always comes back to slavery.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 8, 2024

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, also newer batman(and even old batman) actually did stuff for the community and like gave criminals real jobs and poo poo. the "evil facist batman" poo poo is from miller. I like batman drat it. Rip Kevin conroy.

Every moment Bruce spent playing around in costume instead of funding social programs with his wealth is indulgent and wasted, and even "good" versions of batman beat up criminals and henchmen who are much more likely to be minorities and in poverty, just so he could get a hardon or whatever.

ACAB includes Batman.

Also he was still a multibillionaire, so he wasn't doing enough good.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Push El Burrito posted:

Joker just stops in the middle of a massacre because Bruce Wayne sent him a stimulus check.

There's only a few supervillains and honestly they only exist in the comic to justify Bruce's proclivities.

The vast majority of people he's beating the poo poo out of would probably benefit from social programs.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Sandman's enduring popularity shows that a moody mopey drama king in dire need of therapy, without almost any action, can still be interesting to read.

Men would rather(Sandman series spoiler) elaborately kill themselves and reincarnate in an entirely new being than go to therapy.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Trump: evil genius, criminal mastermind, charge him and try to keep him off the ballot

Biden: doddering, yells at clouds, no jury would convict harmless paw-paw

Those are quite some opinions you have there. Would you like to back them up?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Did you not see the report that just came out that was basically "Biden willfully retained classified docs but we aren't prosecuting because he's a forgetful old man"? And have you not seen Project 2025 and the countless reports about what Trump plans to do in office?

I agree trump is going to turn the fascist dial up to 11 if he wins, but merely possessing classified docs isn't a big deal and not what Trump is in trouble for.

Kalit posted:

For your second point, Trump wanted to do a lot of things during his first presidency, but was stopped by his staff, congress (including his own party members), and SCOTUS. I’ve yet to see why that wouldn’t happen again

Trump let a lot of folks who were not true believers in his first admin. I'm not so sure he's going to make that mistake twice.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
It could come out that they are full-on Weekend at Bernies'ing Biden, and if it's not 2 weeks before the general, it probably wouldn't matter.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kith posted:

do you have substantial proof of this or are you just parroting a right-wing talking point

also it's weird that you're saying that bush's mannerisms were part of his strategy because it's implying that biden's mannerisms aren't. or are you saying that bush's mistakes don't count for ??? reasons but biden's do for different ??? reasons

Biden's mannerisms ARE part of his strategy but so was Bush's.

He adopted the twang after running for office when he got feedback that he sounded too intellectual.

Go back and watch his early political debates. His entire ranch was just a skit.

I wouldn't say he was dumb though, just intellectually lazy.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
The entire game in the general is energizing the voters.

As we can see in this thread, everybody is super jazzed about voting for an ancient lich, while Trump voters are excited for their fascist dreams to come to fruition.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

golden bubble posted:

The main thing is that for non-billionaires, the housing chain is very real. A city (NYC), has added hundreds of thousands of new jobs in the last 10 years, and that means there have been tens of thousands of high paying jobs added for rich yuppies making $250k/year. But the traditional yuppies neighborhoods did not add any new housing, so there's no space for these new yuppies, and they don't have the cash to win bidding wars with even older and even richer former yuppies. But they aren't going to leave the city, they have jobs there. So they grudgingly move over to the next neighborhood over, and settle for a slightly less fancy home. They will get those slightly less fancy homes because they have enough money to win bidding wars against the people who were there. The people in the slightly less fancy neighborhood aren't going to leave the city, it's their home. So they are going to move to a slightly worse neighborhood where they can win a bidding war against people who are slightly poorer than they are. And then those people who get pushed out usually end up moving to a slightly poorer neighborhood and pushing people out in bidding wars over there. Anyway, the key things to remember are

- Almost everyone in the chain is both a victim of gentrification and a cause of gentrification for the next neighborhood down
- No one, not even the rich yuppies who start the chain, actually lives in the home they really want. They all want a nicer place than the place they got pushed to.

That's why building more housing is so important. It breaks the chain of gentrification victims becoming gentrifyers, and this works even if they are ultra expensive luxury apartments. Because luxury apartments in yuppie neighborhoods stop the yuppies from starting the chain in the first place (remember the rich yuppies don't want to live in the middle class neighborhoods they are gentrifying, they wanted to live where their yuppie forbears live).

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Nolan_/status/1753515852018614682

Yeah my personal policy is now "build more everywhere anything" these days.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In the continuing trend of "literally everything becoming partisan" news, views on specific states have dramatically shifted and sorted by partisanship.

California has seen the sharpest division among partisanship. It was previously rated the most popular state for decades, but now 48% of the country says that California "isn't really part of America" and that it is on the decline.

Even the weather and natural environment, two things that basically everyone loved in California, are now polarized with large segments of Republicans says that California has terrible weather and a "worse natural environment than other states."

40% of Republicans say that there is nowhere in California that is a good place to visit and they would stay away.

Over 75% of Republicans now say they would be afraid for their personal safety if they ever went to California.

Similar, but less extreme, patterns are emerging with Democrats and Florida. Florida used to be a widely popular state, but now only about 52% of Americans say that Florida feels like it matches their values.

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1757406392715972904

Social media is relentless with tiktoks/IG reels of people talking about how CA cities are essentially Mad Max with human feces 6" deep and police sobbing in the corner with their hands tied.

The "not scared bro" crew that's deathly scared of cities is very vocal.

edit: oops!

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 14, 2024

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Did you mean California?

yah

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Looks like Oklahoma, land of draconian gender laws, is also letting kids get beaten to death in High school:

Though apparently they died from magical nonbinary reasons and definitely not the vicious beating.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/21/us/oklahoma-teen-death-school-fight/index.html

quote:

A 16-year-old student died following a fight at an Oklahoma high school – and as an investigation into the cause of death continues, advocates point to a heightened and hostile climate against the LGBTQ+ community.

Nex Benedict, whose family says identified as nonbinary, died February 8, one day after they told their family they and a transgender student were involved in a fight with others at Owasso High School. Police in Owasso are investigating.

It is not clear if or how the fight contributed to Nex’s death. Police in Owasso have not called the investigation criminal and said Wednesday that early autopsy findings indicate Nex did not die as a result of trauma.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I call BS on the Huntington Beach lady ever being anything but a Nazi.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
All northern white liberals had to do was not be cowardly racists, but welp

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mooseontheloose posted:

Eric Adams isn't white.

So? I'm sure not all of the voters are white either. Doesn't change the point.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
^^^^^^^ A classy date and/or you got out of the club and the denny's is too far. Together!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

CNN has a copy of the transcript for the SOTU highlights.

- Call on congress to pass a bipartisan bill to increase housing stock (it would produce roughly 2 million homes - but doesn't say over how long of a timeline, which would be about 33% of the current housing shortage)

- A $10,000 refundable tax credit for home purchases and a separate $10,000 tax credit for people who sell a home below the median price in their area.

Brandon is gonna reduce my property value!

:argh:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

This is the most relatable a president has ever been.

Yeah I'd wager someone on the ball orchestrated this. It's silly to not assume that the POTUS isn't incredibly produced.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
^^^^^^^ common leftist dogma is that Occupy did nothing but create some personalities who later turned out to be shits

Killer robot posted:

But to work well that takes someone well-practiced and together. It's the same reason the right-wing talking point of "Oh, he gets his answers fed to him through an earpiece, that's why he doesn't seem deep into dementia" is absurd: doing that in an interview/debate/press conference is pretty challenging and not doable for the cognitively impaired.

Related to that, I think his performance last night is pretty analogous to the early primary debates last cycle. He did okay as I recall but the important thing was that it torpedoed the extensive whispering campaign of "Biden's too far gone to mount a real campaign, better line up behind (my candidate) instead!" And then he came out as familiar Biden but more wrinkly.

I think Biden appears both incredibly old but also cognitively "there". I'm not arguing that.

I'm saying the "oops hot mic!" has a good chance of being an intentional gimmick.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean goons falling for obvious chud bullshit.

That's the perennially reoccurring thing

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Not really a hot take, but Trump is really just the essence of America distilled into a person isn't he.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

OAquinas posted:

With interconnects between them, so you have a fully redundant RAIB-5.

brb, mocking this up in Cities Skylines

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Silly Burrito posted:

Sounds like y’all need to go on MORE cruises to build up your immune systems. :colbert:

I thought it was all the rapes and murders that happen, not the cruise crud, that he was talking about.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
If you go off their Bib Gourmand(named after said michelin man) lists, you can find good places to eat that are affordable but also impressive.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

I saw quotes a long time ago that he has considered invoking the Insurrection Act as soon as he gets into office so he can send the Feds into cities he doesn't like to 'fight crime'

Conservative news has been flogging the idea that cities are lawless hellscapes for a very long time.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Angry_Ed posted:

I also don't get why Trump would even give lip service to "saving" TikTok when he could instead just shill Truth Social as a perfect, huge replacement for it. :v:

because trump says whatever so he can be everything for everyone, this is all he has ever done

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

selec posted:

I heard an interview with one of the Columbia organizers on Chapo, and she said that people had shoulders and fingers dislocated. I would trust her before WaPo, tbh.

I would too.

Police absolutely love petty brutality on protesters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Impending media cowardice