Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Raenir Salazar posted:

If they weren't in uniform on active duty then they're still civilians even if this was true.

Wait, what? Soldiers are still soldiers even if they're in civilian dress or on leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Killer robot posted:

Much like the electoral politics thread, the I/P thread has a smaller audience and more rigorously enforced rules against snarky gotcha posting and low-content venting. Many find it to be a higher risk, lower reward environment as a result.

The electoralism chat and posting about posters aside, the US just vetoed a ceasefire resolution at the UN. It's hard to argue that it's not within the remit of United States Current Events.

Raenir Salazar posted:

That doesn't make them legitimate targets. Especially when there's no practical means of differentiating them from other civilians.

I'm not sure how you come to this conclusion. Active duty soldiers are legitimate military targets, they don't cease being legitimate military targets because they're not in uniform or not currently assigned a task. A military barracks is a legitimate military target even if the soldiers are asleep and in their pajamas inside.

The article linked by Yawgmoth has a pretty decent summary of the numbers, editorializing aside, and people were correct to challenge Leon on "1400 civilians".

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

A prosecutor in Arizona is refusing to extradite a man charged with murder in NYC because Bragg is soft on crime (and probably because he went after Trump as well.)
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/21/nyregion/soho-hotel-murder-bragg-arizona.html

Has anything like this ever happened before? I mean in the modern era, I'm sure there must have been cases involving the Fugitive Slave Act and such.

I know it's a stunt but what are they even keeping him arrested on if not to extradite him? Can you just keep a dude in jail indefinitely on an out of state warrant by refusing to extradite him to the state where he could be actually processed?

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Main Paineframe posted:

When he arrived in Arizona, he stabbed someone there too, so they're presumably going to charge him with that.

Oh, I completely misread that part of the article. I thought that was talking about murder in New York.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

zoux posted:

It's crazy how everything bad that happens is somehow the Democrats' fault. I do agree they should've used their 60-vote Senate supermajority to pass a SCOTUS reform bill in 2021, but I guess they are just too decorum poisoned.

Kari Lake is trying to pivot to the middle and, lol
https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/1760346193630990352

This is maybe the only funny post Meghan McCain has ever made, so critical support to her. Also, lots of extremely salty people in the replies with blue ticks because that's how twitter is now.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Trump definitely has a major advantage but he's not literally sitting in the Oval Office like Biden is. I don't think the race matters but one is actually a sitting president and one isn't.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is a weird decision by Trump (even by his standards).

Biden made some reference to Trump not knowing his wife's name and being forgetful on Jimmy Fallon this week and Trump has released a Truth Social video of himself speaking about it for several minutes. In the video, he explains that he knew Biden was going to be person he ran against in 2020, and since 2018 he has been forgetting things in speeches "purposefully and for comedic effect and for sarcasm" to make fun of Biden and weaken him for the 2020 (and now 2024) election.

Also, when he had trouble getting off the stage a few times as President, that was also part of his plan to mock Biden. You can tell that he was doing it on purpose as a joke because you can see him at rallies and how "amazing" he is "at stamina." So those times where he had issues in 2018, 2019, and 2023 were all actually jokes on Biden and preparing for the 2020 (and 2024) election.

Our posting president presents the puppermaster defense.

Slightly mad I couldn't find a p-word to continue the alliteration there.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

zoux posted:

Honestly, individual states deciding who can and cannot be on the ballot seems like a nightmare.

Isn't this already how it works? Individual states have specific ballot requirements to be on the ballot for federal elections, it's already a state issue.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The new North Carolina voter law is bad in general, but also baffling that they included a provision that bans the state from counting any mail-in or early votes until after all the election day votes are counted.

That just seems bizarre and not even a shameless power grab or partisan thing like the other provisions.

It's to make it seem like more of a steal if Democrats win because they 'won' on election night. Look at how many votes they cheated into existing!

Thinking about when there was the clip of trump voters going "stop the vote!" when they were up in one state and "count every vote!" when they were behind in another last time.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Eric Cantonese posted:

It probably doesn't have an effect on Israel, but I suspect is it a sign of the Democratic party working out that they need to adapt their stances for US voters. A maybe a sign of changes in US policy to come. (Feel free to scoff at me now.)

Pretty sure "blame everything Israel does wrong on Netanyahu" has been a liberal Zionist thought for a while. It's insane if you look at what the Israeli governing coalition looks like and have looked like for a very long time, but it's an attractive theory since it lets you wash your hands of the structural issues and deep underlying racism. Pennsylvania Man Bad, essentially.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Kagrenak posted:

Could you point to some examples of this having happened from prominent Dem politicians? Because as far as I can tell this is basically unprecedented levels of criticism of Israeli leadership from modern US leadership, as directed towards a select group of Likud extremists as it is.

It's more that it's been seen commonly in editorials from liberal Zionists for a while. A quick google search to find examples;

Thomas Friedman, from yesterday:
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/12/opinion/israel-hamas-war-netanyahu.html

NYT Editorial Board from 2022 (which also quotes Friedman, because of course it does):
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/17/opinion/israel-netanyahu.html

I know I've seen others from Haaretz, but their paywall is making it harder for me to find them so a lot of the sources ended up being via the NYT. There's a longer article from back in 2023 that goes into the general trend, though, that may be helpful: https://www.thenation.com/article/world/israel-liberal-zionism/

e:

mawarannahr posted:

Erdoğa constantly says this too.

Just wanted to say I noticed this and appreciated it, it was good

shimmy shimmy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 14, 2024

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Kagrenak posted:

Editorials by hacks like Friedman carry extremely different weight than statements the Senate majority leader who is also notably the most powerful Jewish member of the US government. I see your point though but still think that this is a fairly significant shift.

There have been signs from other powerful Jewish leaders - Nadler in 2023 wrote some stuff, although it wasn't as pointed. I just think that while it's a shift to see this expressed by a political leader, or at least in such pointed tones, it's still part of an underlying belief amongst Liberal Zionists that the main issue with Israel is Netanyahu rather than anything fundamentally wrong with Israel.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If the Likud coalition does collapse, are there any projections who would win an election

This is pulled directly off Wikipedia, but you can see that there was a shift post-October 7th away from Likud, Netenyahu's party. Unfortunately it was basically perfectly mirrored by people flocking to to the National Unity party, run by Benny Gantz, which is the party even further to the right than Likud was.

Getting rid of Netenyahu or having him become a Minister under PM Gantz is not going to make things better. It's a fundamental problem with Israelis and what they want to happen (genocide, or at the very least strict apartheid controls and all that comes along with it along with colonial settlement projects to push out the Palestinian population) rather than an issue of just who's at the top.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Goatse James Bond posted:

Which one is the other poorly delineated orange ish line down in the also rans that saw a lot of gains?

Otzma Yehudit, which translates to "Jewish Power". I'll give you one guess where they sit on the political spectrum.

It's Ben-Gvir's party, the guy who has a portrait in his living room of Baruch Goldstein, the guy from Brooklyn who massacred 29 Palestinians and wounded 125 others in the 90s.

shimmy shimmy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 14, 2024

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Quantum Cat posted:

The closest analog I can think of is the Tampa Skyway bridge collapse back in 1980. Similar incident of a ship taking out a support and collapsing a huge chunk of the span. Construction on the replacement started in January 1983 and took until the end of April in 1987 to re-open. Bizarrely enough the reopening ceremony was delayed when a shrimp boat lost control and hit the new bridge's protective bumpers.

loving Forest Gump gets has to show up in everything, man.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
I'm also hesitant about saying the Erez crossing opening up matters, because there are 'open' crossings right now. Israel, either through laughing civilians on lawn chairs in the way of the trucks or by not approving the trucks passing through, just doesn't let much of anything pass through it.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Probably better for Boeing, because after a certain point issues like that parts coming off or not being secured become maintenance issues rather than manufacturing ones. Maybe not better for them to be in the news again but my guess is this one is probably not their fault, the newest 737-800 was manufactured over four years ago by this point. Most likely another Southwest maintenance fuckup like is mentioned in the article.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Servetus posted:

Wait, how big is the Anglican Church in the US? I thought the relevant branch in the US was the Episcopalian Church ever since that whole Revolution thing.

There's some but not too many. A Pew Research study from a few years ago had Episcopalians + Anglicans at about 1.2%, with Episcopalians being .9% of the total and Anglicans and Other Episcopalian/Anglican both being under .3% which was their cutoff to not show any lower numbers.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Goatse James Bond posted:

To add quite a bit of context, "Anglicans" in the US these days aren't people who think King Charles is the head of the church (well okay, there might be a couple dozen of those weirdos), it's the smug self-given name of a recently schismatic denomination in the American bit of the Anglican Communion (which used to be pretty much just Episcopalians). They have a bunch of excuses but the reason they bailed is that Episcopalians were too nice and too liberal, with the flashpoint being the ordination of women and open homosexuals.

In an amusing bureaucratic compromise, they were temporarily shuffled under a couple shithead African archbishops for administrative reasons until they could establish their own hierarchy in the US. They're still shitheads, they still exist, and I'm glad to hear they're not especially numerous.

to their great annoyance the episcopal church of north america was not thrown out of the anglican communion, and frankly they're lucky the Episcopalian archdioceses and dioceses with 'Anglican' subordinates didn't turn the financial screws harder

Huh, I didn't actually know this. I had a friend who attended an Episcopalian church when I was young and I've since seen a couple of churches calling themselves Anglican, and thought it was actually an extension of the normal Anglican church. The more you know.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the other hand, I'd wait until someone actually gets charged and sentenced for it; instead of it likely being dropped as part of the inevitable plea bargain for some other applicable crime.

It's not actually good to add even more bullshit charges that are used to pressure people into plea deals to avoid facing hard time. The Flordia bill authorizes a felony of the first degree for this, which is punishable by 'a term of imprisonment not exceeding 30 years'. Pretty sure it's worth taking a plea deal to go down to 2 years whether or not any of the charges are true when that's what you're facing, and laws like this is part of the reason why.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Some of the state parties are extremely bad (Texas, Florida) but I don't actually know how you fix them externally. They generally get a lot of money pumped into them to try to patch over the dysfunction and their often terrible candidates, if it was put into funding organizing from the bottom-up instead that might help? Whatever they're doing isn't working but I'm not sure if there's a good example of a state party that's turned around from being as bad as some of those have been, for either party.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That seems a little rude. I would say something like “thanks, I’ll check that out when I have the time.” That or just take their word for it.

Nah, c'mon. Like I'm much more likely to believe the organizer than I am what gets filtered through news, but giving people actual sources and timestamps so they don't have to go through the whole thing to know what you're talking about or to get more specific descriptions/the words of the person in question is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Staluigi posted:

legit question for woke americans - how do i kill the 30-50 adorable puppies that romp into my yard within 3-5 minutes while my small kids play?

the police have got your back