Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

The likely reason it its news in Florida its because the Tampa Bay Times did a longform investigative piece:

https://project.tampabay.com/investigations/deadly-dose/kratom-industry/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I know Trump never follows through with anything but man I wish he had made his statue garden because that would be hilarious

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Celexi posted:

Dire when we get to the point on discussing "who is the least senile" and its way too late to have someone else replace him.

This discussion has been going on since at least 2019. "Too late" is just a convenient excuse

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Re: shooter; the discourse is not going to move a single inch because those people never relied on reality for their arguments in the first place

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Senate Cum Dump posted:

That's rather dismissive and just wrong at face value. He could resign, party leadership could pressure him to step down.

"Better things aren't possible" is certainly a take and one that I don't think will be persuasive, electorally.

Better things aren't possible might as well be the Biden campaign slogan

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I had someone very close to me pass away and I can never remember which year it was because those next couple of years are a blur caused by emotional distress

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Levitate posted:

Did people really and truly believe that if they elected Biden in the primary and elected him in the general that he'd serve 1 term and then step down because "he's too old"? Or were they just not thinking that hard about it?

Because I remember age being a thing in the 2020 election and vague hand waiving over him only serving 1 term but anyone who thought that was really going to be a thing seems like they were being incredibly naive.

Yes I think it was widely assumed he wouldn't run again because no one wants an 85 year old president and no wealthy 85 year old should want a highly stressful job.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

As someone who has also worked in public benefits, it's hard to imagine any occupation less capitalist than getting paid a lovely government salary to give public financial assistance to the poor

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

So is it legal to keep children frozen in stasis indefinitely

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

If Trump tells you a list of things that he is going to do, and you actually think he's going to do that, you are a big of a rube as his supporters.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Gabbard absolutely has some political positions, such as "Using chemical weapons on children is a good thing, actually"

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Kith posted:

the ceasefire talks sure are a nice gesture in tandem with the billions of dollars of missiles and poo poo we've been sending

Also in tandem with multiple vetoes of UN resolutions calling for a ceasefire.

Pretty sure this will follow Biden's usual routine of promising something, delivering something much smaller, and then insisting that it's actually the same thing

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

The majority of voters are not rational in any way, so trying to use reason to predict how certain groups will act is a pointless exercise. If people oppressed by republicans didn't vote republican, they wouldn't win any elections

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Ither posted:

Would the conservatives on the Supreme Court be stupid enough to step on the abortion rake again?

During an election year?

Why would anyone on the Supreme Court care about the outcome of any election

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

His brain is mush, but he's not in a coma, so he must be God's chosen?

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I disagree with the I/P thread being closed, but looking at all these threadshitters, it's pretty obvious why that decision was made.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

In addition to the abortion initiative, the Florida Supreme also approved a Recreational Marijuana ballot initiative. I'm not saying Florida is in play for democrats, but this is a double-whammy that should have an effect on turnout.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Biden is anti-marijuana

There are a lot of voters who were otherwise not going to vote, whether it be apathy toward Biden or some other reason, who will now be going out to vote because one of the issues that they care about is now something they can directly affect. It has nothing to do with Biden himself, but he is likely to benefit from it

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

its schrodinger's loan forgiveness: Biden is TOTALLY working on a plan to forgive student loans, and he just needs more TIME to work out the details. Why hasn't he done it yet? Well you see he is powerless to forgive student loans.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Xiahou Dun posted:

Remember months ago when I said I really hope the dems put some really popular things like abortion and weed up for a vote to increase turn out?

I was talking about this.

In Florida at least, these ballot initiatives have nothing to do with the democratic party. The only credit the party should get is for being so totally useless that ballot referendums are the only way anything positive can happen.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Nucleic Acids posted:

I still think it was wrong for the Los Angeles Police Department to put so much time and effort into framing a clearly guilty man.

Excuse me, that's Fox News legal expert Mark Fuhrman you're talking about

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Regardless of who killed him, Boeing is clearly at fault

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

The Department of Labor just issued a new rule that'll massively expand overtime pay eligibility for salaried workers.

https://twitter.com/USDOL/status/1782818503927431484

That'll nearly double the threshold from $35k now to $58k by the start of 2025, and require the threshold to be adjusted for inflation every 3 years.

Between that and the anti-noncompete rule earlier, looks like the Biden administration is getting pretty active about labor rights and protections. Unfortunately, it's only executive actions, so there's no guaranteeing it'll stick around under a new president.

Does anyone have a good explanation of how this is different from the 2016 Obama rule that was struck down in the courts?

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

D-Pad posted:

So in Baltimore a recording had leaked a while back of a principal making racist and antisemitic remarks. Today it came out that after investigating it turned out to be AI generated by the Athletic Director pissed at the principal because he was getting fired.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/baltimore-high-school-athletic-director-ai-create-fake/story%3fid=109638535

Our elections are about to get crazy. Life in general is going to get wild as people abuse this to do things like this as well as people who legit did whatever they are accused of muddying the waters with an "it was AI" defense.

While the implications here are terrifying, most of our violent extremists either have no interest in evidence at all, or are easily decieved by MS Paint

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I think murdering a dog has greatly increased her chances of being Trump's VP pick, for a variety of reasons

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Well actually, Saburo Arasaka could have oh poo poo, wrong thread, sorry.

I'm interested to see how Florida resolves this, since they're allergic to raising taxes to fund education.

Resolves what? Cutting funding for public education is the goal

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Maybe special elections don't have anything to do with the presidential election? Maybe the fact that Trump is a cult leader means that traditional political interpretations don't apply? It's so strange that we're looking at data with a sample size of like 10 and treating it as useful.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

haveblue posted:

Regardless of feasibility, camping out on a college campus during the summer when classes aren't being held and no one has to be there isn't going to accomplish the goals of a protest

It would be a terrible starting place but they're already front page news so that doesn't really matter much

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

@_@

Welp that's a new one, don't see that in a presidential candidate every day

I see this in every presidential candidate, every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

The door is still wide open for many Republicans to inexplicably publicly announce their approval of puppy murder. The lasting impacts of this may yet to be seen