Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Trump directly bombed Iran.

edit as a reminder:

*Trump at the very least expanded drone warfare into Somalia and oh yah, restricted reporting on drone strikes.
*"Alleged civilian deaths in Iraq and Syria skyrocketed under Trump's four years in office to more than 13,000
*Trump had an on the ground NAVY Seals raid Yemen.
*Let's not forget the raid in Niger that got swept under the rug in 2017 that we all collectively decided was not worth investigating.

These same points have been brought up with this same poster a dozen times as they know Donald the dovr is a good troll but we are supposed to pretend they don't know all this every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Maybe one day we can get a legit secure online voting system and just do em all the same day or have a random generated sequence. That would require both funding and laws passed so instead we will watch most of the voting power go towards empty acreage, honestly probably as at least some of the founding father wanted.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

World Famous W posted:

not really seeing why online ballots would be a requirement for same day voting

It's not a requirement per se but it makes voting easier which is the other half of getting people's voices heard. Getting off work to vote is incredibly hard for poorer people.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tuxedo Gin posted:

There is no mechanism in American society for "people get the day off". The people who are most unlikely to be able to vote due to work are the same people who don't get weekends or national holidays off.

Yeah if somehow all the gas stations/food places were closed America would descend into chaos within hours.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

So are all the poll workers and media companies exempt or is election day coverage about to get a whole lot more awkward?

God forbid any traffic accidents/fires happen or anyone needs to go to the hospital.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

In a better world that would be considered child abuse.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Crass Casualty posted:

Wasn't Trump also just using these documents to impress people at dinner parties? Just showing them to people he thought might think it's cool.

I doubt that's what was he was just doing and we don't have evidence either way.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm hearing in local news that Biden is getting real confused and it seems if I am hearing this from the local news that are to the left of most american outlets, with examples from the last few days. Then it's not really just fox news propaganda.

poo poo, Trump's gonna win isn't he?

There's local news left not owned by Sinclair?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

When Biden messes up a name, it's a new problem that shows he has "handlers" and is basically a vegetable. When Trump messes up a name he's always done that and you are just creating strawmen. It's the same "Republicans get a free pass on everything so I can yell about how Dems are bad and the worst endlessly" arguments it always is.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

This always feels like kind of a rhetorical cop-out. If it doesn't matter who you vote for, then either you should stop making it the focus of conversation or you should acknowledge that you're talking about it because you seek to influence other people to vote like you do. Those other people, on a site like SA, mostly will not live in the same state/district/whatever you do and so your influencing them absolutely does matter.

Yeah the point of bringing it up is to try to shame people who vote for Biden. It's a pointless purity test thing that exists to start arguments.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I mean if you define "harm reduction" as "speed up the genocides in Ukraine and Israel and let China invade whoever it wants" then sure Trump's definitely the harm reduction candidate.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Raiad posted:

It seems that the greater drive is to blame the people not wanting to participate in the farce that is the US electoral system for everything Trump does, even though they have even less power.

The start of this argument was people saying Trump was a better vote than Biden, perhaps go back and read the thread.

Senate Cum Dump posted:

it's a sad commentary on the state of US (and world) politics that Donald Trump is the harm reduction candidate in 2024, particularly for foreign policy

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 11, 2024

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

this is a good-faith question from a concerned anti-genocide but still Biden voter:

it was my understanding that the point of voting third party is to show there are substantial numbers of voters who care deeply enough to throw their vote away, so the results of

Genocide Joe 2,100,000
Genocide Don 2,080,000
Peace Party Cand 21,000

might make the losing party adopt some of the third party's positions. apologies if thus is stupid or wrong, I don't have a degree in poli-sci

This would require them knowing why you voted for a third party. Also for that third party's positions to be popular enough to gain votes while also not losing you votes for abandoning your previous position.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Majorian posted:

Do you have evidence that those accomplishments will drive voters to the polls? Is he even running on these accomplishments? So far he doesn't seem to be.

Honest question, have you watched a single one of his speeches, what information are you using to determine what he is running on? Do you look at any news pertaining to Biden that is outside your curated news bubble?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Majorian posted:

I have watched his speeches, yes. I occasionally check mainstream media TV outlets, podcasts, newspapers, etc. The story coming out of Biden's stump speeches has been, "He's garbling his words horrifically and seems way too old and senile to run," not, "He's promising X, Y, and Z." That's not entirely his fault, of course; the media is going to choose what it wants to make the big story of the day. But I think the lesson here is, if he wants to communicate his accomplishments and promise more and better improvements to quality of life, stump speeches might not be the way to do it.

So he mentions his accomplishments in his speeches and ads, if that's not what he is running on what do you think he is running on?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

this is an interesting post because it's literally the exact same logical thread some of us are using for Biden and Gaza/Middle East. If the threat to trans people happening right now takes precedence over possible future betrayal, then so does the actual genocide being done in Gaza right now.

But Trump would make everything Gaza worse so this analogy doesn't make sense.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Majorian posted:

Trump could be worse than Biden on Gaza, but if you're going to make the affirmative claim like this, it would be great if you'd explain why you believe this and what makes you so certain of it. Remember, we're talking about him being worse than Biden, not just "not better than Biden."

His quotes on the issue have been put several times per page either you aren't reading the thread or you are trolling.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Doctor Yiff posted:

I remember the op-eds flying around just after Trump won in 2016 floating the idea that Hilary lost because the Democrats were too protective of trans people's rights, so I'm more than a little skeptical of being used as a rhetorical tool to shame people into voting for Biden.

Opeds are meaningless tripe I am unsure why you would base any decision ever based on anything they have said.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The last feedback thread it was brought up multiple times that electorialism like this needs its own thread, but as with most feedback that went nowhere.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dunite posted:

The argument for Biden shouldn't be he is any less of a genocidal war criminal than Trump but rather than voting for an actual genocidal war criminal don't vote and if Trump becomes a genocidal war criminal himself, both could be prosecuted

That's not what's going to happen though, what is going to happen is even more people foreign and domestic would be hurt.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dunite posted:

Isn't this the fallacy of the nice Nazi?

If I don't persecute someone less than the other guy I know who will do worse, I can absolve myself of the crime?

No it's calling out your fantasy as not being something that will happen. We might as well argue you shouldn't vote for Biden because pixies will fly out and fix everyone's problems that is as likely as American Presidents being tried for war crimes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I've been staying out of electoralism chat and continue to do so because it is at best pointless and really should have its own thread once Koos figures out how he wants to do it. That said, there's an election related issue that I've banged on about before:

Show up to your goddamn local and, as convenient, state conventions. Make sure the delegates to the next layer up are good, elevate your issues of choice. Ask delegate candidates (especially if you have more candidates than slots, which isn't always the case locally) their thoughts on Gaza and if their opinions are bad and not changeable, pick someone else. Make the Delaware state convention overwhelmingly anti-genocide.

This is very true, change is achievable but it's not done via ranting at people on internet forums.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

zoux posted:

In favor of who?

It's really kinda worrisome there aren't many good answers here, they really need beef up their bench.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

McCloud posted:

It's not like Biden isn't without his own problems. His insistence on giving Israel free reign to commit genocide has severely soured both the young and the muslim/arab voters, two important blocs for the dems. Prices on everything from rent to groceries have skyrocketed due to greedflation, and while the economy on paper is doing great, the reality is that doesn't translate to economic prosperity to the people.

There's a reason Biden is polling lower than Trump, and if he doesn't turn it around he's not gonna win. Assuming his blind support for Netanyahu hasn't permanently hosed his chances that is.

He shouldn't support Israel but none of the polls have shown that him not supporting them would gain him net votes sadly. The average American still is on Israel's side for now.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Killer robot posted:

Given Trump's proven record on Israel and public statements during Israel's current campaign, and how often they've been cited in this thread even, it's increasingly difficult to believe anyone actively engaged in US politics "incorrectly perceives" Trump as less friendly to Israel so much as that they're willfully misrepresenting him as such. Ignorance is only a valid cover for someone who doesn't actually follow the topics of either Trump or Israel.

Yeah the argument only works if you ignore every single thing Trump has ever said or did. Or you are trying to shitstir the same fight for the 100th time to own the libs. Neither of them has anything resembling good policy on Israel but pretending Trump will do better is just theater.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There's an entire thread for I/P stuff, isn't there?

People want to have a slap fight about Trump's better than Biden and not as many people are taking the bait there.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gnumonic posted:

Seems more like: People here really want a safe space where they can plug their ears and ignore anyone who is uncomfortable with the fact that their guy is openly & unconditionally supporting the brutal bombing & starvation of two million innocent people.

It's really telling that anyone who displays concern for the Palestinian people here is treated as some kind of traitor to the party / obviously a secret Trump supporter or troll. The lack of empathy is astonishing - but maybe it shouldn't be, guess people here are just following Biden's lead. Does not seem like a very good strategy for bringing those people back into the fold by November (but I guess the consensus here is: "We don't need any Muslims/young people!". Better hope you're right about that!)

That's not what's happening here and it's kind of disgusting for you to claim people here lack empathy or don't have concern for the Palestinians.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Your source lacks any numbers, what # amounts to a significant chunk?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, Democrats chose to use their short period of a functional supermajority to focus on getting the ACA and other urgent priorities passed instead of abortion rights which at the time were not in immediate peril. Part of that was because the ACA was going to be hard to dismantle once in place while a future Republican court willing to strike down Roe would find it trivial to strike down a law that affirmed Roe. Probably a good choice both in hindsight and the moment, but since 2016 everyone who yawned loudly at the idea of voting for the courts used it as an unearned vindication.

Those like 60 working days the Dems had a tenuous supermajority 16 years ago are used as a weapon for every "dems don't really support this" fight like they somehow could of passed thousands of bills in that very small window, it's never made sense if you look at what actually was happening during that time period.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Orthanc6 posted:

I know a couple who could only do IVF by getting a lot of donations from friends and family, on top of the father juggling 3 jobs. If they had to get even more money to go to a different state to do it, they might not have been able to. People dealing with fertility problems have enough emotional and financial issues to deal with as is, it's severely gross of Alabama to toss this on that pile.

IVF is a stressful and expensive process and I like interrupting that is going to make a lot of enemies for life for the GOP.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If IVF centers in Alabama shut down, does that mean CPS has to take in the embryos as orphans?

I'll take them declare hundreds of dependents on my taxes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The dog thing is such a weird aspect of his presidency, like is it an intentional distraction, huge needlessly forced error, weird plot by the secret service? It's just such a dumb thing I can't help but think there is more to it, when there probably isn't.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Marking all the Trump voters as poor people is a very important step to blaming "the libs" for Trump and everything the Republicans have done and ever will do. Doesn't matter how many times it's shown they aren't really the poor people and most poor/minority people vote Democrat.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I don't doubt there were discussions of a ceasefire, I just don't think Israel would ever agree to terms that weren't awful for everyone in Gaza.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nervous posted:

Do the freezer services qualify as childcare expenses?

Ohh if I keep some friends embryos in my freezer does my house then qualify as a daycare?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kith posted:

the only people who care about polls sooner than three months out from the election are:
  • trying to push a narrative
  • trying to sell a narrative
  • trying to find a narrative
it is not healthy to do any of these. it is better for your mental and emotional health to ignore polling until debates start because that's when normal people start paying attention and poll sample sizes/respondants are made up of regular folks instead of fringe weirdos

It's exactly this, the same people who keep posting these early probes are the same people who disagree with every single probe when it's closer to electiontime and it doesn't who what they want in order to own the libs.

Really polls are becoming increasingly useless and inaccurate, unfortunately I don't know of any other way to get a general feel of what the public thinks about certain things.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

Evidence for this?

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/u-s-inflation-rate-history-by-year-and-forecast-3306093

Highest since 1981, I'd put the average goon at born at 1981-88 but there gathering solid numbers on that would be depressing so I'm not gonna.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm sure I'm reading this wrong, but according to the chart, inflation is higher in the following years than in 2024:
1984, 85, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 96, 2000, 04, 05, 11, 2, 22

I was being generous and assuming the inflation comment referred to the entire Biden presidency not this exact moment.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

hooman posted:

The responsibility for Biden not looking weak and unelectable lays with Biden and his media team/campaign/strategists.

Not with random goons on internet forums.

I don't think anything Biden can do would stop people from buying propaganda about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

When you expect a politician to break laws and become a dictator to achieve your goals then they aren't going to court your vote. The sad reality is a huge chunk of the voting populace doesn't really support great things either from malice or ignorance. If you want to make things better work to support leftist in primaries and local elections instead of spending your energy convincing the people trying to make a difference that it's pointless and prepping for some violent revolution that will never come and if it does it's not going to be your side running things.