Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

burnishedfume posted:

If her whole strategy with being in the House was to parlay that into a job as a consultant or lobbyist, wouldn't breaking with your party and running as an independent kinda fly in the face of that strategy? Those kinds of jobs typically are paying you for your insider knowledge or connections which breaking with your party kinda hinders. Like, McCain's whole maverick thing wouldn't have worked or been notable if he switched to an Independent and then bombed out after 1 term.
This is pretty much where I'm at. She's a one-term Senator that is disliked by every side; she has none of the qualities you'd want as a "former insider" (influence, friendly ears, favors to be repaid, general experience, knowledge of party workings, etc). I guess she could be relying on being rewarded with a cushy position as a thank you for your service, but relying on the loyalty of conservative dark money - especially when they have nothing to lose just cutting you free - seems like not a great bet to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

PhazonLink posted:

the james okeef comparisons means Wohl's downfall will be spending toooo much dark money on singing and dance lessons AND creating a hostile workplace from singing and demanding attendance of their shows
That would track with the huge amount of rightwing personalities being failed theatre kids.

bird food bathtub posted:

This is kind of the appropriate response because it doesn't get any less weird if you keep looking in to it.
Yeah the current speaker of the US House of Representatives is, to put things politely, really hosed up.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Kammat posted:

The Republicans were so close to the end of their political breeding program, the perfect setup came in 2016 with McConnell holding them an SC seat open, but instead of their Kwisatz Haderach to usher in their golden age they got Trump. Oops.
It appears their Golden Path was inevitable one way or another.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Dems should cut an ad about the Mongolian archery stuff, using the transcript, footage, and stills. Sick throat singing backing track too of course. It would probably not affect any votes, but I would personally find it highly amusing.

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 13, 2024

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

This accident is like a perfect encapsulation of everything taught in first year engineering classes. I guarantee that video will be shown for the next fifty years in every ENG102 room directly after the Tacoma Narrows vid.

Xerol posted:

Given projected increases in traffic for the area (especially trucks, with the sparrows point logistics hub expanding rapidly) I wouldn't be surprised if they tore everything down and replaced it with one that has the capacity for 6 or more lanes. 695 leading up to the bridge is 2 lanes in both directions but it expands out to 3 lanes not much farther west (after the curtis creek drawbridge, which I learned today is technically part of the key bridge complex). The extra capacity would also take some load off the tunnels which are a bottleneck that's about to get much worse.

That logistics hub is the former site of the beth steel plant. I couldn't find anything definitive one way or the other with a lot of research, but I bet that plant contributed to building the original bridge. Not that you'd make the replacement a steel truss bridge, most likely cable-stayed, or if you wanted to put all the pilings on land you might need a suspension. Clearing and opening the channel is going to be the top priority though, and any replacement bridge is also going to need to be built around the channel being active, with a lot more shipping traffic than there was when the bridge was originally built.
If I was the owner of a consulting firm in the mid-Atlantic region, I'd be paying every drafter and engineer in the company overtime money to come up with a proposal for a modern suspension bridge of eight lanes or more. Huge bonuses if you can make it aesthetically striking.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

shimmy shimmy posted:

Some of the state parties are extremely bad (Texas, Florida) but I don't actually know how you fix them externally. They generally get a lot of money pumped into them to try to patch over the dysfunction and their often terrible candidates, if it was put into funding organizing from the bottom-up instead that might help? Whatever they're doing isn't working but I'm not sure if there's a good example of a state party that's turned around from being as bad as some of those have been, for either party.
Georgia might be an interesting one to look at. Represented by two Republicans for most of the 21st century (who replaced conservative Democrats) and then overnight both seats turned blue. I imagine demographics and the general growth of Atlanta helped out, but I've also heard that Stacy Abrams and other activists have put in a lot of behind the scenes effort into the change. I haven't found a good in depth analysis about the situation but would certainly read one.

Also yeah, echoing that you shouldn't expect much out of the FL Dems. They are terrible and the bench is nonexistent.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Seriously hoping that anti-polio poo poo doesn't catch on as the latest right wing cool thing. We have patients in their 60s and 70s who have required long leg braces to walk their entire life due to contracting polio when younger. I'm glad we can make their quality of life better now, but polio is a solved loving problem!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to the Washington Post, Trump allegedly called in all the CEOs of big oil companies and offered them "a deal" to give him $1 billion dollars in exchange for reversing all of the Biden administration's new regulations on oil production, dramatically reducing taxes on oil companies, and end the ban on drilling in the gulf of Mexico and natural gas exports on "the first day" of his presidency.

They said they had spent $400 million lobbying the Biden administration, but were getting minimal results. Trump said to stop spending the money on lobbying and to directly fund a Super PAC for him instead as an investment that they would more than make their money back from.
On a related note, he would also dismantle NOAA, splitting it between privatization and outright shuttering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That's not really surprising because he tried to ban the National Weather Service from offering information that was provided by private companies and install Accuweather's CEO as the head of NOAA during his first term, but the Senate refused to consider his nomination, so the NOAA post was empty for over two years before he got cancer and had to withdraw his nomination.
Oh yeah it's not surprising, just another example of the complete destruction of the federal government that would happen should he get re-elected.