Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/30/kyrsten-sinema-donations-00138738

The Sinema situation is still so weird to me. She torched her career in politics for....? what exactly? With Manchin I can understand that he was playing up the "Dem but not toeing the line" for his increasingly red district.

What exactly was Kyrsten Sinema's 5D chess plan here?

Some cushy board seats from companies she helped out along the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1752914377395851642

This is like, struggling state party numbers....

How much is this because Trump PACs are just vacuuming up all the fundraising?

Down-ballot races will be starved for cash.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

It's super cool and good how the FBI and CIA seem to be doing jack poo poo about our government and the Republican Party in particular being infiltrated by Russian agents in a way that Joe McCarthy would be orgasmic about.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone pointed out that during Amy Comey Barrett’s confirmation hearing she would not say she would vote to keep IVF legal if a case came before her regarding that

Trump is full of poo poo but correctly realizes that fetal personhood is a huge political loser even among Republicans

He didn't write that truth post.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

If true believers hold dear that abortion is murder and life begins at conception then how will they react to their allies selling them out for 15 week compromise life does not actually begin until after 15 weeks and abortion is not always murder positions.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Yes, the guy who declared he will be a dictator on day one for sure will be the man who responds to the popular opinion of a vocal segment of leftists.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Maybe it's better if trump actually tears the system down and we can try again if the lesser evil gives a country free healthcare and pays for a genocide with our tax dollars.

At this point, I think our nation is a failure. There's no incrementalism vs big changes argument to be had when we're paying for an apartheid state to starve and bomb children and have free healthcare while we won't take an ambulance for fear of the costs. There is no nuance here. We are villains and the vote blue no matter who folks are like just shut up and ignore it.

Eventually all 1.1 million kids in Gaza will be dead and we won't be supporting a genocide anymore I guess.

Trump "tearing down the system" is exactly what they want to do! Especially Steve Bannon and everyone behind Trump. And they want to install a Theocratic fascist dictatorship and HAVE SAID THIS OUT LOUD.

Geeze, lets give a bunch of end times theocrats and literal Hitler lovers power in a government they will make non representative and give them control of the most powerful military on earth.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember arguing in 2004 that if we settle for lovely Democratic candidates, we would eventually be having precisely the argument that we're having now.

I'd just prefer people not use the threat of Trump to shame/threaten people to try to get them to vote for Biden. It's obscene. I have no interest in fanfiction about Donald the Dove, just as I don't care for fanfiction about how he's going to declare himself the Emperor Fuhrer.

What's the connection between voting for Biden and thwarting anti-trans legislation? Anti-trans legislation is generally unpopular and a big electoral loser for Republicans. Most of these bills are at the state level, though there was a big surge at the federal level last year. How many more will be introduced under Trump than Biden? How many will pass? What positive effect will Trump's election have on passing these bills? We don't know.

It looks to me like activism at the state and local level is way more meaningful to trans rights than the choice between Biden and Trump. The good news is that if the centrist argument is true, you can not vote for Biden on Tuesday and on Wednesday go right back to protesting whatever cornfed lunatic is trying to outlaw our existence.

Trump does, in fact, talk a lot of poo poo. He likes to say he did, is doing, or will do things that he didn't and doesn't do. He also likes to point at any perceived weakness in his opponents and claim that he did, would have, or will do better on the issue. The usual natsec bugmen are already crawling out of the woodwork to lament that he didn't start a war with Iran when he had the chance.

Do I think Trump will be better? Probably not. What do you think Trump will do for Israel that Biden isn't already doing? If it's vocal support, Biden's already doing that. Will he send more weapons? Deploy American troops? Setting aside that Trump does care about his approval rating beyond the diehard base, how much does the magachudbase really want to send troops to Gaza, or incur visible economic impacts for Israel's sake?

Trump, and the right wing christian nationalists that he's aligned with have be extremely clear on what their plans are. It is not "fanfiction" that he wants to set himself up as an autocratic dictator, he and his closest supporters have already said it, on video, multiple times. They have a WRITTEN PLAN about how they will do this. The man tried to get the US military to shoot unarmed minority protestors. https://www.npr.org/2022/05/09/1097517470/trump-esper-book-defense-secretary Like holy poo poo, how willfully ignorant of the fact that HE WANTS TO SHOOT AMERICAN CITIZENS IN THE STREETS does one have to be? The fascist forces behind him have learned from there mistakes and will not make them the second time around!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Why do college presidents have any sway over the Israeli government? I’m really confused by this whole thing. If Harvard asks to end the war then the Israeli government will just stop?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

People are fighting with riot cops because they want the schools to sell stocks????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Doesn't he also have a conviction in California?

So he will get extradited to LA and go right back to jail.