Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

hooman posted:

It really depends if it translates from primary into general votes and where those votes are, for example uncommitted in a very blue state isn't going to do a lot whereas in a purple state it could be important. Ultimately it's all reading tea-leaves though.

Biden outperforming Obama in North Carolina is a good thing for him given that the state is one that can swing blue but did not in 2012.
He can probably thank Jeff Jackson if he wins NC this time. Or Mark Robinson... for scaring enough sporadic voters into showing up for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

This notion that minority voters are naturally conservative and would vote more Republican if not for cultural allegiances handed down from the civil rights era ignores the very real likelihood that most of those minority voters are economically more aligned with Democrats still. Socially, they may be anti-abortion, pro-gun, pro jesus, anti-immigration, but economically, with the exception of Cubans in Florida, they like Bernie and the squad and they overwhelmingly vote for those types of democrats in the primaries... and unsurprisingly the neoliberal slugs they have to prop up in the general election don't get the same level of enthusiasm.

If Dems want to prevent that slide they need to look out for the material conditions of their voters.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Goddamnit, North Carolina. So Michele Morrow was our local Moms for Liberty poo poo candidate (home schooled her kids, has no idea what she's doing, has multiple times publicly asked for the execution of presidents, etc) lost last year in the local school board elections.

But that hasn't stopped her from trying. She's now the GOP candidate for Superintendent of our entire Public School System. She upset the incumbent in primaries.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/14/politics/kfile-gop-nominee-north-carolina-public-schools-michele-morrow-executing-democrats/index.html

Dems win statewide races in NC routinely. There is a percentage of libertarian/business oriented conservatives that will vote for moderate dem governors and council of state offices to protect their economic interests. If things got too "jesusland" it would hurt their investments. However they will never vote to give dems federal power through the presidency or the senate.

This is why you see NC having D governors and voting for R presidents since forever.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 24, 2024

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

It's too bad an entire generation was brainwashed into hating income taxes. Maybe Floridians can appreciate this better now, but if your taxes are tied to your income, then they can't raise suddenly from market conditions without you also making more money to pay them. Not so for property or sales taxes.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Neat Bee posted:

Voting for genocide because you believe its the lesser-evil just means you are a Nazi who believes in pragmatism.

A system which forces you to support the mass murder of civilians and children as the best possible outcome is a system that should not exist.

How many other genocidal governments have had the argument made that "We can't dismantle the regime, too many people will be hurt in the process."? None, and with good reason.

Voting for liberals to stop fascists is fascism. Voting for fascists on the other hand, totally not fascist at all. Cool and good actually.

Got it.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Majestic posted:

Is it that you're incapable of basic reading comprehension, or of asking any question in good faith? You do this over and over again, in thread after thread, saying "Well I haven't seen anyone saying that", when it is there plain as day, and then when it's pointed out to you you either move the goalposts or say "Ah well, nevertheless". It's like clockwork. What do you get out of this? What do you think you are adding to the conversation other than convincing everyone you're either dishonest or illiterate? It would have taken you less than five minutes to read back through the thread and find those examples yourself, but no, every time, others have to find them for you.

Someone actually made that argument 2 posts above his on that same page.

koolkal posted:

Because we've seen 6 months of Biden and it's clear where he stands? Trump is often unpredictable when he does things depending on public opinion, Republican pressure, random people offering him things, whoever spoke to him last, etc. He is chaos.

A wildcard vs. a guaranteed outcome is a bet a lot of people are willing to take when it's clear what that outcome will be if Biden stays in power.. I don't think most people are saying Trump is definitively going to be better on the issue, but he's certainly far more likely.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

any current events today fellas?

Supreme Court all but eliminated the right to protest in 3 states, so that's cool.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Staluigi posted:

whatever efforts get made to compel people on the left end of the political spectrum to argue for their own collective political nonparticipation (whether into nonvoting or into engineered vote splitting), i DO at least get to say they create some of the wildest pretzel logic rationales i got to see since the Walk Away movement

You never see the far right argue against electoralism. You never see the far right sit back and let their opponents win as a 4d chess play. They are committed to probing every avenue they can to further their goals and the last 40 years are a testament to the effectiveness of their tenacity.

It's weird that it's only the left that believes this stuff. This is why I am convinced it's a psyop. Probably the most effective psyop in history - using the language of the left to neuter it. The think tank agent that suggested throwing some Lenin and Luxemburg in there deserves a pay raise.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Balance voters are the only thing keeping NC from turning into Honduras right now so sadly, we need them.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

Personally I think that recreating the '68 convention is not a winning path for the Dems but sure

We seem to be testing the hypothesis that LBJ could've won if he'd stayed in 1968.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Comparing LBJ’s conduct of the Vietnam War to Biden supporting Israel is a terrible analogy on a number of levels.

The U.S. was a combatant in that war. U.S. policy resulted in the people protesting on campuses to be subject to the draft and dying in that war. There is no comparison to the weight of the electoral consequences of Vietnam on LBJ to Gaza on Biden. 68 would have been a clear loss for LBJ, directly caused by his decisions on Vietnam. It’s true that in a close election losing some young voter turnout could contribute to Biden losing. But otherwise the situations are not comparable.

The young voters protesting Biden's policy regarding Gaza were not around for the greater magnitude of things the US has done in the past so this takes the same level of importance in their lives proportionately. It's relative. I'm not actually convinced LBJ would've lost had he stayed in, and I disagree with all other facets of your analysis as well. What election do you think this represents most, if not 1968?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

My twitter is just art from all the art accounts I follow.

Yeah my twitter is also all "art" that I "appreciate".